Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Agrikk posted:

I don't understand this. Why wouldn't they just buy a windows server with direct attached storage? I mean a low-end Dell 1U server with a MD1200 (or whatever the current model number is) would work just fine if all you want to do with your filer is serve up shares.

Am I missing something?

The Linux guy is sinking his talons into the whole department for job security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of Java. I hate how applications are so drat picky with it. It gets even worse when there are two applications and both their own specific version of java and no other ever made could possibly do.

Does it really change that much from version to version?

There is a tacit agreement with OEMs to make each version of Java progressively more demanding on system resources.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
A user made me waste 5+ hours going through IDE hard drives to save the "10 years of work" on her white box tower's desktop that we pulled recently. It was literally a desktop shortcut to a website and nothing else.

Someone in this building spent YEARS training the staff to be completely computer illiterate before I got here. I don't even let my techs make desktop shortcuts without asking because most people here assumed that their workflow/websites wouldn't work without a corresponding shortcut on their desktop before they were taught otherwise. What happens when this user is on a different or new computer? They have no idea how anything works.

Talk about lovely practice - and this doesn't include that I came into 15 arbitrarily named servers, switch IPs in the middle of the DHCP scope, and no documentation of ANYTHING. I'm almost jealous of whoever has my job after me.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
gently caress working with Pearson Vue. I have never dealt with this kind of ineptitude at every corner. The support staff are junk, the hardware is antiquated, the software is obviously loving ancient too, no one can transfer me to the right place, they're late for appointments, and I think their phone directory is backwards :psyduck: Sitting around working for free while I pace around and kick things

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
"As soon as I get on the phone with you I lose connection to what I'm doing here" :hurr:

E: UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 14, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

AlternateAccount posted:

"you have to have internet explorer version 7"

OH GET hosed

Like I would ever slow down this pristine XP Pro SP3 installation with your poo poo Microsoft updates :smug:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Swink posted:

This new Dell XPS13 is great. Except the wifi maxes out at 1MB/sec.

What's that? They ALL have that problem? turning them from amazing machines to pieces of poo poo? Fantastic!

Don't all of the XPS laptops have Intel wireless cards :raise: that can't be right. Our Vostros (with the Dell 1501 WLAN) shipped with a horrendous POS driver but it was fine with an update

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Companies that patch their product at 8AM on Monday :suicide:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Bob Morales posted:

Turned up our new circuit Friday. Nothing fancy, just a 10mb but since we are coming from T1 land it's like amazing and poo poo.

Boss: I ran speedtests all weekend from my desk and never got over 6.4 megs. What gives?

Me: It's not accurate. Quit running speedtest.

Boss: OMG it's 10mb I want 10mb from speedtest

Me: There are 250 other machines sharing the line. Look at our bandwidth graphs, there's 4mb being used right now. 6 + 4 = 10 :haw:

Boss: But we should be seeing 10mb on speedtest!

Me: :argh:

So network traffic is kind of like a highway...

E: I love having a neophyte for a boss. I can do anything I want as long as I can come up with a convincing analogy to justify it

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 3, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
What is the thing you're trying to crack??

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I'd talk to that person first thing and make sure that email doesn't get forwarded :ssh: I sent a flamer to a director's secretary one time, who was offering up my department to her weekend clients as Saturday night A/V support. Talked to her FIVE MINUTES LATER and apologized for saying a bunch of true things, and she forwarded it to her boss anyway. Then she told me she didn't know how her boss got a copy of the email :rolleyes:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Sickening posted:

Texas (DFW area)

Wife is trying to talk me out of my boat and wants to plan a trip to Europe. More money = more problems.

They do say there are two best days in every boat owner's life...

Also that "Outlook" story :stare:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Computer viking posted:

On a HVAC note, I'm in a five year old building , where the one thing we've never been able to fix is the thermostats. There are little spinny wheels in every office that go from blue (freezing) to red (quite chilly). We've long ago bought (baby blue) fleece sweaters for everyone, but my fingers and toes still go a bit numb after a while. I'm waiting for summer, when I can take breaks outside to thaw out a bit.

At least we've been able to nudge it up enough that the coldest offices are no longer at 16C (61F).

:ssh: Many office thermostats are fake

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1042577628591401304

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

evol262 posted:

Pissing me off: not Intel :emo:

Quads with 4GB are miles ahead of what some businesses have.

I don't know about that... http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/362/AMD_A4-Series_A4-5300_vs_Intel_Core_2_Duo_E7500.html

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 1, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

evol262 posted:

Uh... and? I've worked at F500 companies who are still issuing 2GB machines. Processor performance is pretty irrelevant to most business workers. Memory is not.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to question you or anything. This particular chip from AMD is the absolute bottom of the barrel

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 2, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
If you could get an inclement weather clause, boating to work would be so awesome

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Mattress Man posted:

Engineer messages me for help, says he's having weird video driver issues. I find that there is a newer driver and go over to his desk to install it. When I get there he asks me how long it will take, pulls out his phone, activates his stopwatch app, and says "I'm a busy guy". Then to top it off his boss comes over and starts giving me poo poo. I think its time to :yotj:

That awkward moment when you forget to download a file in advance and you have to sit in someone's office making small talk while you pull a 150 meg printer driver over http

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Bob Morales posted:

The joke is whatever library system that is (in Virginia or some poo poo) bought $25,000 Cisco routers for every branch, even that little shack in the picture, so they had something like 1 $25,000 router for every 7 users and could have saved 5 million dollars by buying lower-end equipment, and then spent that money on books or staff or running fiber to each library...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/02/why-a-one-room-west-virginia-library-runs-a-20000-cisco-router/

"In total, $24 million was spent on the routers through a not-very-open bidding process under which non-Cisco router manufacturers such as Juniper and Alcatel-Lucent were not "given notice or any opportunity to bid."

The state that allows Patriot Coal and Freedom Industries free reign over its water supply can write a $20 million dollar check without going to bid? Must have been a mistake for sure :patriot:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've never used one but isn't an iPad without Wifi just a very expensive book?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXV-yaFmQNk

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Humphreys posted:

My predecessor it turns out probably just used Youtube tutorials to do everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85h_ujZ_vg

What could Bill Gates have possibly done to deserve that :(

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I can configure the gently caress out of a desktop java environment :clint: Can't wait until that is a worthless skill

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
My first job bought me an iPhone 4 and I was really excited about it but then I realized why they were buying me a phone.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Maybe HR is collecting data to improve the workplace :downs:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

dogstile posted:

That beard thing that's stopping me from going on site visits that I was happy with? Turns out i'm not now.

There was only one visit that I had left before I wasn't booked for any for the foreseeable future and i've been taken off it. It was booked in a really nice hotel by the beach and it had loads of the young techies on it, meaning we could actually go out and have a couple drinks after the job was done rather than just going to the hotel (previously it was either that or drink alone and I only do that when gaming now).

There goes today's motivation.

Read between the lines man. A beard is a stupid thing to lose a job over.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
this rant was never meant to be

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 20, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
It's OK I still use nano.

Someone in my building with the internal wifi password and a spoofed mac address leeched 50gb of bandwidth yesterday night, starting at 5pm eastern. I double dare them to try it again :mad:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

AlternateAccount posted:

2012's Server Manager makes all of this a lot more apparent, I think, and that's a good thing.

Except for the $150 question: Why do I need to buy individual CALS for remote desktop :gonk: They are not included in my volume licensing which makes it a pain to explain

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Sir_Substance posted:

Also, no talking in the mens room. Ever.

Meh. I'm not going to ask some dude in a stall about a project status but a little sink-side convo never killed anyone

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anywhere I can package this thing into the ISO so if we have to rebuild the blasted thing it's already pre-existing?

dmake :getin:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Last time HR bought software without consult they subscribed to some online bulletin board called Airbo that game-ifies HR by giving you experience points and tickets. The domain name: Air.bo

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 10, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Caged posted:

Jesus gently caress Unitrends, it's really tough to sell people on your appliances when there's a Furry front and centre on your home page.

What.The.gently caress.

wanna ddos that furry

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
loving amateur hour at Pearson Vue. Let their regional support guy remote into a box on Thursday regarding their web cam in Internet Explorer for their certification testing this Saturday. After hours of loving around in vain doing, apparently, nothing, the remote guy called me on my cell. I ended up solving the problem for him in about ten minutes.

Part of that "nothing" was renaming the shared folder that the testing clients connect to. He named it "testing_old", copied down a new "testing" folder, then didn't share it. When nothing would connect at 7:30am this morning, nobody at Pearson would pick up their phones. The test administrators, who are in hot water from repeated failures like this one, decided to call me at my house. I basically did this for karma to save an idiot's job.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I can still text faster on those phones than I can on an iPhone :v:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Doesn't sound like he's moving.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Salesman are back for FY15 :milk:
Any updates are appreciated, we are getting closer to our deadlines, and could you please provide me with an update when you are ready to move forward?

Also none of them use valedictions on their emails :argh:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
You could move to Worcester or Providence and pretend you got a 10k raise. Cool city, but gently caress Boston rent.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
If you run out of ideas, the ASCII production of Star Wars: A New Hope is still available via telnet at towel.blinkenlights.nl :shobon:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Documentation always comes last on the project list, it would be terribly inefficient to do it any other way :eng101:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Just be a better employee than your admins. Come in with an agenda, never be "doing tickets" or waiting around for tickets when your boss asks, and show up every single day. I don't care how productive someone is if they don't use the freed up time effectively. I don't know anything about your work habits, just what worked for me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I mean don't be lazy and camp out on tickets, which is probably exactly what is happening given that his manager is riding his rear end.