Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Is it really that hard to set up a group e-mail setup (where you send to xxx@co.com and it broadcasts to abc, def, ghi@co.com) in Google Apps? The people here who administrate it apparently couldn't figure it out and it's one of the things driving them to in-house Exchange, in a company of about 10 people.

As someone who's grown fond of Gmail's interface/filters/tagging, this move sounds like it's going to suck, especially since I'm on *nix instead of Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's what I figured, but the people who head this place aren't stunningly competent. :( I don't know if you remember the escapades of last thread, but the person who administers our Apps is laso the person who writes uncommented, unindented, functionless php.

Apparently the concept of groups baffled them so much they set up Spiceworks to do it. :cripes:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mllaneza posted:

You've got 20% or more of the company involved in administering GApps poorly ?

My old Python scripts to manage groups might still work in the current API if you want them.

Nobody bothered to learn how GApps worked and they don't care. They decided early on that they want to go to internally hosted Exchange because the admin has an installation of Exchange 2002 or something insane at home and :suicide:

Saying that they "administer" GApps is a bit of a stretch. :sigh:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Finding out about very poorly designed internal server communications days before they need to be made in production.

Especially when it could've been much better (not perfect, but relatively sane) within minutes by someone who knew what they were doing. :sigh:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
MySQL went offline overnight? Oh boy. We've been having SAN issues the last few days, this can't be good...

pre:
InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally! 
InnoDB: Starting crash recovery. 

InnoDB: Rolling back trx with id XXXXXXXX, 1 rows to undo 
InnoDB: Waiting for the background threads to start 
InnoDB: Assertion failure in thread XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX in file fut0lst.ic line 83
At least innodb_force_recovery = 6 let me take a (potentially corrupt) backup.

You know poo poo is broke when MySQL crashes when you drop an empty database. :suicide:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Sunday morning, might as well check what that one work tagged email in my box is because I hate myself

quote:

Tomorrow, Our 15-person Small Business will be changing from Gmail [apps] to Hosted Exchange.

Hosted Exchange will allow us to better manage Security & Compliance policies, delegate certain administrative features, create group and distribution emails, and integrate with our active directive.

Not making that up: the geniuses in charge did not know how to select the "groups" icon in gapps and create a group e-mail. Or do anything apparently. But it's ok, the boss set up Exchange Server at his house once, so we know everything about that!

oh good the email isn't over yet.

quote:

1. The change will take place tomorrow
Thanks for the warning :thumbsup:

quote:

6. Functionally, things are relatively the same. Exchange is more granular in its permissions, roles, etc. We can share calendars, create a shared calendar, created shared email accounts, and distribution groups. One example of the change in detail is that when we share our calendars, we decide if we are merely sharing whether or not we are busy, the meeting heading only, or the entire calendar entry.
i.e. poo poo You Can Do In Google Apps If You Bothered To loving Read Anything

But wait there's more! Gotta get those emails off of gmail somehow.

quote:

1. You will have to provide your password for the migration utility. As mentioned, this will be for a batch process. You have my word that we will not use these credentials to enter anyone’s account.

:suicide:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
So this just happened:

:pseudo: "Hey, can you generate a file with all the numbers from 1 to a number I'll tell you when I get back?"

:psyduck: "Yeah, I guess."

:pseudo: "OK, the number is 1 trillion."

:psypop: "... that would be over 10 terabytes."

:pseudo: "That big? I'm doing it because we lost the password to something and it's just numbers, so I was going to feed it into a dictionary cracker."

:psyboom: "I... can't help there."

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Well, :pseudo: went forward with his try-to-crack-the-password plan.

Estimated time to test all numbers in that one-trillion search space: about 11 years.

If I was the one that had to modify the crack app for him I'd have just replaced it with a bitcoin miner. Bitcoins are a laughable joke but at least we'd get something out of it :rolleye:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Roargasm posted:

What is the thing you're trying to crack??

The passphrase for a private key, more or less.

It's going to be a while.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Negromancer posted:

almost there! I think I did it with 'ls -lrt | grep <string> | tail -n 2'. ls -l wont really do since it just lists files alphabetically and not by timestamp. Granted this was a senior systems engineer interview, so I think they assumed I would be able to pull that out of the air without much issue. If I remember correctly, I forgot the -n flag for tail so I just explained which one I wanted and they got it.

I understand that you shouldn't be expected to memorize every flag for every command, but honestly that is some pretty basic poo poo. If you are reading man pages every time you run a command, you prolly shouldn't be a admin.

That's the first thing I jumped to, too. I mean as long as you have a basic understanding of how the shell works and know how to put poo poo together, who the gently caress cares if you can remember the specific syntax to grab some crap out of a command.

Scripting is useful but knowing how to figure out what breaks and how to fix it (even if you have to do it the long way) is much more useful.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

The new dartboard in the office...

The office jester is now throwing metal tipped darts towards peoples feet. He actually got me in the foot on the boot, fortunately I wear steel toes but I'm NOT loving happy. As par the course in this thread, management ain't doing poo poo. Can't leave this job soon enough

Holy poo poo. I'd probably flip my poo poo if someone did that to me.

poo poo pissing me off here: Surprisingly little, aside from being ill and having to come into work anyway because deadlines.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Inspector_666 posted:

The idea of using battery powered wireless cameras for "security" is so hilarious I hope you're joking.

They exist and they are actually a lot more common than you might think.

(At least the ones I know about are only activated by motion and not constantly transmitting, but that doesn't really make it much better.)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

dogstile posted:

Also, my boss sent out an email to support telling us that we can't go on lunch if two other people have gone on lunch. Breaks are half an hour long. In two hours, this means that 8 people can go to lunch, after that, he doesn't want anyone to go on lunch. The kicker? We have way more than 8 people on the new "first line".

Where I live, you're legally required to have a 30-minute break for every 6 hours on the clock. Check your labor laws, they might be breaking them.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Che Delilas posted:

Pissing me off, not daily, and not related to IT. It's not even May and my father is starting to send me political email again with subject lines like "FW: FW: FW: FW: You have to see this!" The body is stuff like "this video is all about what this upcoming election means for this country! Show your friends and children and then watch it again!" with a youtube link.

He is quite conservative. I am quite not. I don't even need to read or click on anything and the religious-right propaganda plays in my head automatically anyway. :bang:

Filter messages like these -> Label: Garbage, Mark as Read, Archive.

Never have to see them!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Volmarias posted:

I quit several years ago, when I realized that I was actually hoping that bad gas was another kidney stone so I could go to the hospital and skip work that day.

I do have friends that still work there, and hearing the inside skinny on why certain things turned out like they have...

Huh. There used to be a combo of :allears: and :stonk: but I can't find it any more.

Suffice to say, they're like an onion of poor decisions with a core of engineers who have had hope and joy crushed out of them. And they're the LEAST WORST.

:magical:

My old place had no project management whatsoever (and the pay was only a few dollars above minimum wage). Complete a feature with no access to the actual code ("security"!), no documentation, and no bug-testing or review until months after it's complete.

Three years later I find out the owner is into bitcoins. Somehow I am not surprised.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lysandus posted:

None of you can hold a candle to Fizz Buzz Enterprise Edition

There's always 2fast2fizzbuzz. :rice:

sfwarlock posted:

Pissing me off today: having to watch an awesome person walk because there was no room for advancement.

I've been considering doing this for a long time because my current workplace is a mismanaged mess and there's been no real progression in my work for over a year, but I'm not sure where to go or what to do next, so I've mostly just been stagnating and getting burned out. :(

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
From what I've gathered, the audit isn't stopping (they still have $30K to blow on it).

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"Oh this guy from [executive's other business] did it all for them, he can help us get compliant!"

Our primary domain server is 170+ updates behind.

Our secondary? Hasn't even checked for updates once.

This is going to be comedy.

Also, great to be the "most valuable employee" when I make under half of what the most useless employee made :toot: (a "project manager" who got them to purchase a gaming laptop for :airquote: development :airquote: and wasn't fired even after hilariously overpromising and underdelivering, and being caught playing WoW on company time)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

stuxracer posted:

People with 8 mile long email signatures reminding me not to print the email, 700 contact methods, no less than 5 images, toss in a lame rear end quote, and links to our company website.

For fucks sake if the my preview window (about 1/3rd my screen) can't fit your entire sig I'm just going to delete your email.

Stop that poo poo.

Especially when someone forwards you an e-mail chain with 10 different messages in it, where these gigantic signatures take up the vast majority of the actual e-mail content. I usually don't bother to read and just reply "Filter out the important parts" because gently caress reading through that poo poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Arguably the best DBA, and one of the finest people, I've ever worked with has just handed in his resignation because the company won't stop piling work onto him. He's the kind of guy you want at every position, but because he does his job so well and always goes the extra mile, the company just shoveled every bit of poo poo his way. 45 hour weeks, 50, 55, 60, 65, wonder how much work we can get out of him before he reaches his breaking point? Guess they have their answer, ugh.

We had someone like that here, for a while. Combined with springing surprise deadlines like "The client paid us $XXXX to do this and we said it'd take six weeks, and that was seven weeks ago. Surprise! Now get it done."

It's amazing how out of touch most management is.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Oops, we marked something as being fully supported but we never actually did any of the work on it and now someone's going to go install this device that we don't support in 60 minutes.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

evol262 posted:

This attitude is the problem. "I'm new here but I know you're making mistakes, do it my way". You have no idea why they do it the way they do, how their application/deployment strategy/failover/whatever works.

Giving suggestions is great. Once you've been there for a few months and you understand their environment and its pitfalls. Spending your time bemoaning their "mistakes" and clamoring to scrap it helps no one, including yourself. Don't be that new guy who rolls his eyes at everything.

Well, not necessarily. There are some cases where something is just so outright wrong that you really don't need to understand the environment, e.g. a development company with a home-grown CMS that uses... absolutely no source control or bug tracking. But in the majority of cases this (hopefully) doesn't apply.

Speaking of poo poo pissing me off:

quote:

:downs: (manager): what are you working on right now
:eng101:: I'm working on $task right now, no ETA on when it'll be done yet.
:downs:: Do you need the CTO's help?
:eng101:: No thanks, I've got it under control.

2 minutes later

:pseudo: (CTO): hi $manager said you needed help (unprompted and generally incorrect advice follows)
:eng101:: thanks :confused:

Always really cool when the people in charge don't trust you to actually get your job done :toot:

Fake edit: I should mention this is the same CTO who, not knowing how to parse a command line properly, used something like "arg1!!!arg2!!!a@@longer@@arg3!!!arg4" for his VB6 project. In 2011. :cripes:

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 4, 2014

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

at the date posted:

I am not in IT, but lol:

e: I mean, would someone with administrator access to the network need user passwords for any legitimate reason whatsoever?

The people at my place did this too. It's a big red flag saying "We don't know poo poo about poo poo".

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Whizbang posted:

A wizard did it.

:master:

At work, pissing me off: Having a ticketing system that one executive uses but another one refuses to use, so you get to communicate updates to both people for no reason at all. Doubling the work sure is fun.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I honest-to-god didn't realize Netscape still existed. :stare:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sickening posted:

Long story short I convince him to have a meeting with the other execs where we can figure something out that isn't so hasty. We are either going to eat these charges as they happen, contract a security guard company, or work out a deal with the property management. Our desktop guy is not going to get saddled with driving in every time an alarm goes off (which isn't feasable with his driving distance) and sure isn't going to be held accountable when his phone is off.

This seems like something that could use a DVR in the building to provide a remote way to visually inspect things. If nothing else, it'd give you a preliminary "might not be a fire" or "holy gently caress fire call 911 :siren:" look before you actually have to take further action.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Syano posted:

Maybe I figured it out. Maybe everyone is just a ton more efficient than you. Maybe everyone else can get their work done AND stay up to date with technology and certifications and what not while still maintaining a healthy social/family life which you will never have cause youre a drat head case.

:thurman:

There's a reason "home" is home and "work" is work.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Sounds like the time I got wind of what was coming when my e-mail stopped updating on my phone because my credentials were invalid.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:downs: : Hi it doesn't look like we have (some services) set up for our new client
:what: : ...
:downs: : Did nobody tell you they needed set up?
:what: : No.
:downs: : Well we need them set up right now. We're on a call with them right now and it needs to be set up immediately.
:what: : :sigh:

I only got news that we brought on this client that morning (because of a request to add the branding images). It'd be nice if anybody bothered to keep me up to date.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Coworker is out of critical tasks to do and is told to "prioritize tasks on his own".

Why do we have two project managers, again?

Oh, and apparently we're hiring a new programmer, without even informing the team (I found out about it second-hand). So much for letting us get to know this person before they're brought on...

The sad part is that this new person is going to be my coworker's underling, supposedly. That on itself isn't sad, until you realize my coworker is a woman and we found the ad for this helper position. It had a minimum range of $6k more than she makes right now (and an upper bound of $26k more). :suicide:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can make WinRAR stop complaining by just deleting the resource key for the nag dialog that pops up on program start. :v:

On the bright side, there's plenty of utterly pointless "apps" now, they're just in the actual device app stores now.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
7z's GUI is awful compared to WinRAR's, though, and 7z's compression can be much slower that RAR for certain files.

But in most cases you never deal with the GUI (right click -> extract) and the speed delay rarely matters, so 7z works just fine for everything.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sheep posted:

EverFocus DVRs. In order to access the web management interface on these things you have to disable UAC and setup a bunch of Java/ActiveX security exclusions on any computer you use to connect to them and half the time you still can't get the stupid thing to load. I have to send someone in to manually update the firmware on one because it's the last hail mary before we have to RMA a brand new unit and get a different model.

This is basically every DVR on the planet, it seems. They're all Chinese garbage and rely on home-grown protocols and other poo poo that break if you so much as sneeze at them.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The stunning level of competence of the upper management here continues to amaze. We use Google Apps for business and the director here has completely ignored the fact that you can set up groups within it, even when we've directly pointed him at them. So there's been no mailing list for development or anything, and he doesn't include all the developers most of the time when he's sending out mail.

Today, after months and months if not a year plus of asking, he finally set up some groups. For service uptime notifications. On googlegroups.com.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

psydude posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: coworkers that come in to work while super sick. Nothing you do is that important; stay the gently caress at home.

This is more a problem of management. Either they're being too strict and requiring people to be in regardless of illness (or requiring a dr. note) or they're not telling people who are sick to gently caress off.

At a previous job I ended up coming down with a sinus infection. They wouldn't let me off to recover without firing me so I ended up going in through the entire week. Then the CEO had to take a week off because he caught it from me. Karma, I guess :v:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

evobatman posted:

The government asked all departments to report "time thieves", issues that stop you from doing your job, and then published the dataset of issues and suggestions.

In the dataset:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftidstyv.difi.no%2Ftidstyv%2F1172&edit-text=

Know that one well. We're developers who occasionally mingle with VMs/virtual networks/installing frameworks or black-box modules from other companies to integrate with.

Recently the brain-dead domain admin decided from on-high that none of us were to have administrator access any more. So, needless to say, as soon as one of us tried to update or restart, we got hit with the GPO and lost all rights. So virtual networks we set up were broken by the firewall being forced on (behind another corporate one, even) and we lost all ability to manage anything.

Including the insane "force all computers to reboot without warning" updates option, without telling anyone. A lot of us ended up losing a lot of in-progress work and had to spend a while getting everything back up to speed.

Eventually a few of us just said gently caress it and used a bootdisk to disjoin from the domain, because it was literally preventing us from doing our jobs. And they still refuse to let anybody competent manage anything.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Moving goalposts are great. "We can't do X for you until unrelated-to-job Y happens."

Bullshit.

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 25, 2014

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Friend of mine had a job offer for a company in town starting next week. She had gotten the offer letter last month and had the contract and everything.

Today she calls to confirm that everything is still green and they tell her "Actually, we already filled that position with someone else."

Good loving thing she didn't put in her resignation yet or she would've walked into the new job just to be informed she didn't have it. What the gently caress kind of company does this?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Thanks Ants posted:

A poo poo one. Was she not supposed to accept the offer or anything?

Who knows. As far as any of us knew, it was a done deal with a start date of next week, agreed upon and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Dick Trauma posted:

This morning I have to work on my new boss's PC. There's a spreadsheet on the keyboard of open positions. At the top "VP, IT" with a salary more than twice mine and a $30k signing bonus.

Nice. My friend ended up finding out similar information. Her position has a massive backlog of work because sales adds new tasks faster than they can be completed. Company finally hires on a new guy to help catch up.

Turns out the new guy is from the CFO's other company, and is getting paid over twice what my friend makes. And they want my friend to train him. :cripes: