Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

A shot in the dark but do any of you have experience with surveillance solutions? I'm tasked with putting together a small video surveillance solution with about 5 cameras that should record to a DVR with maybe a couple days or week retention. Ideally the cameras would send the feed over our wireless network to the DVR so we don't have to run cable for the cameras. There seems to be an overwhelming amount of marginal solutions out there. Thanks!

1. Legality. Make sure that recording is legal where you are.
2. Security. Wireless is jammed faster than a printer.
3. Technology. Decide wheter you want network cameras or classic. The range on wireless is highly dependant on this. Network cameras are easily integrated in existing environments, also PoE. Theres also shittons of software and cheap hardware. DVR Server software can be had for free.
Classic cameras on the other hand are somewhat expensive, wireless sometimes not even secured and generally on their way out imo. You have a wide selection of frequency ranges tho. Central dvrs are also the standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Indoor Cameras, we just need to be able to see if someone was doing a thing (there's nothing actively going, this is just in case.)
I would prefer battery powered wireless cameras so we don't have to worry with cables. Also I notice a lot of solutions have wireless cameras that talk back to the DVR directly, I think the building's walls are too dense for something like that as this is an old building with brick walls.

Battery powered doesnt exist to my knowledge. What good is a security device that needs recharging every few weeks.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Inspector_666 posted:

The idea of using battery powered wireless cameras for "security" is so hilarious I hope you're joking.

Sounds more like a spy camera imho.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

1. Not a problem.
2. Interesting, didn't realize that.
3. Network cameras is what seems like the best way to go.

Do you have any particular brand recommendations? Ideally I would like to get this setup from one Vendor who can support the product if there are issues. I'm not trying to roll my own solution, I've got other stuff to do.

Axis is the go-to in upper tier, otherwise I've only exprienced china stuff, which actually is quite decent as long as it has h264.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Right now it seems about every other PC is assigning itself a 169 IP even tho they have static IPs set, and you have to disable and reenable the adapter to fix it. Does anyone know what causes this?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

death .cab for qt posted:

Sounds like they're failing to use their static IPs and DHCP is handing out 169 addresses somehow because gently caress the police? 9 times out of 10 when I have this problem it's because some chuclefuck set the DNS to google and eventually DHCP just started handing out 169 addresses because it had no idea what was going on.

Do you use DHCP at all, or is every device assigned a static IP? Try widening the DHCP pool and see if devices are still being handed 169 IPs, or if theyre getting non-standard 192./10. IPs

(disclaimer: I'm a tier 1, we just have a serial DNS changer that causes problems like this all the time)

Aren't 169 the MS default crap? We do have DHCP, but none that hands out those IPs or anything.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Honestly if its some old pos which is being replaced theres no point cleaning, and Id be hlad for any more reason to just send it to the dump.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

dissss posted:

It's an HP 2560p (i.e. a Sandybridge i7 that is about two years old) - if it was in better nick it'd be fine to reassign.

As it is it'll probably get trashed.

But why doesnt the user just keep it then?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Flipperwaldt posted:

That would give users incentive to inflict minor damage.

I didnt mean gifting it to them, but rather keeping them on the same hardware.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

dissss posted:

They left the organisation.

I know they don't owe us anything, but I still wouldn't expect equipment to get trashed for absolutely no reason (I mean really who repeatedly drops their laptop?)

Well yeah, there's no excuse for breaking it, I was mostly referring to the grime, since I can understand that to some extent at least.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sir_Substance posted:

It's usually $300-400 but this is an extortion, not a business deal. You've got the word of a guy who wrote a virus to ransom your files that if you pay him $300, he will unlock your files. Do you trust him?

To a certain extent, it benefits him to be true to his word, or people would stop paying, but he could take your money and not unlock the files for one in every 6 "customers" and still have a reputation for honouring the payment.

I wouldn't be playing that game. You should have a contingency plan.

No, negative feedback outweighs positive by far.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

sfwarlock posted:

I feel like the advice to use Bitlocker (wtf) or "whatever you find" on Linux is a huge red flag that all is not what it seems. :tinfoil:

not secure as

Honestly cannary seems plausible atm.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Honestly, I feel like thwm recommending Bitlocker is the thing that deserves most of the attention.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

HalloKitty posted:

Someone running from one end of a building to another with a 500MB USB stick?

I can't think of anything else that's that appalling.

That would literally be faster.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sirotan posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Drove around half the state yesterday and in the end the most productive thing I was able to accomplish was plugging in an ethernet cable. I had planned to hit up a brewery near my remote site (Bell's) but got out so late it wasn't even worth the effort anymore. Then, driving back home on the highway a rock flew up and took a big ole chip from my otherwise pristine-for-14-years windshield, and immediately began to spiderweb.

:smith:

Make a claim with your company insurance?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Websense filtering: ATEN Usb to Serial driver, huh? Obviously this is potentially unwanted software.
Wait you just tried it 10 times, you can have it!
Id like to believe this is a feature, but I cant.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I love how our electricans constantly shittalk about us 'basically not doing anything', but when I challenged them to plug in the dual beamers they just pulled, they gave up after eyeing the connectors for 2 minutes.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Crowley posted:

You Yanks' lack of vacation is making me sad, so I've decided I'd try to help out just a bit.

If you should ever fancy a vacation in Denmark you can borrow our summer house for free*. It's a small house with beds for six adults and two kids, located a few hundred meters from the beach somewhat close to Grenaa, Denmark.

It's usually fully booked in the summertime, but vacant in autumn and spring (and closed during winter due to lack of insulation). Poke me and I'll make sure it's vacant when you want it.

*I do expect you to pay for the power and water you use, and if you could mow the lawn or split a bit of firewood that would be awesome. The cellphone signal is decent, and I've put in a 2Mbit ADSL and a WLAN so you can get your daily dose of Internet too.

So xou are basically hoping that no one will take you up on that offer because they get no vacation ? :v:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Digitalpope posted:

Jesus....gently caress firefox's memory handling...that thing runs like complete dogshit with high tab loads, 64 bit or not. My laptop at the office is no slouch, 2nd gen i7, 12gb ram, 256gb ssd and a pair of 500gb platters, but firefox finds a way to make things run slow. I tried to use it for a few weeks and had to go back to chrome. Sure, the CRM runs better on firefox, but that's the ONLY thing it's better at.

Waterfox for 64bit.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Memorising BSOD codes sounds stupid. This is definitely a job for google. I'll just use BluescreenView if the error code doesnt already tell me whats happening.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So today I learned that there literally is a conspiracy against me by my Boss and at least two coworkers. I can't even express how I feel at this point.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sickening posted:

You know, you could elaborate.

Apparently they are logging "mistakes" and "work refusals" I am making, like today they wrote down that I didn't answer a phone within the first ten seconds of it ringing. Nvm the fact that its even a coworkers phone.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sickening posted:

How do 3 people just up and decide one day that they are going to keep track of your mistakes collectively? Just seems like there is more to the story. Would you describe yourself as "hart to work with"? Do you these same people get angry with you on a regular basis? Do you have a hard time admitting when you are wrong?

You are an rear end in a top hat and you shouldnt be allowed in here to harass people who are already at a low or highpoint

E:
Wait, I meant thank you for helping me see the error in my ways, turns out it was all my fault and now I feel way better about both myself and this situation.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 7, 2014

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
It seems most posts he makes in here are basically kicking a dead horse.

To me anyway

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Alereon posted:

It doesn't mean its your fault but you should probably take some time to understand what is happening and why. It seems that your coworkers and management have decided that you are not a team player. That doesn't make it true, but why might they have developed this impression? This didn't come out of nowhere unless you're being willfully ignorant or are on the autism spectrum. It's okay to vent and stuff but hopefully you understand how saying "my coworkers have formed a conspiracy against me!" makes you seem like either crazy or an rear end in a top hat.

Its not management, my boss is a senior who took on some administrative work to keep a dedicated manager out of the department.
This didnt exactly come out of the blue, the whole department has some hostility going on originating from a few certain people. One of my coworkers who simply doesnt like me has been feeding my boss bullshit for a while, and since my boss avoids contact with pretty much everyone, it seems impossible to change his impression. This coworker is part of his inner circle I guess.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sickening posted:

Well, that escalated quickly. Are you this snappy with everyone else at your workplace? Wouldn't it be more likely that you are having some social issues and not some conspiracy?

a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.
I guess I shouldn't have used such a loaded term.
Also, so much for not wanting to be accusative, eh?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sickening posted:

Oh poo poo, its a forum conspiracy! (sorry cobra :( )

It's ok, I realize that with just the context given I probably come off pretty stupid, I'll just take Daylen's advice and make a greater effort at talking to my boss again. It just didn't yield any results the first time and I'm always afraid it might end up making things worse.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Alereon posted:

It seems like they want to fire you now so the worst outcome would be that you have a meeting and determine that they just don't like you and you decide to quit. Really it seems like the helpful key would be to determine what is causing the difference in how they view your performance versus how you view your performance. What is it that you are doing that they interpret as not being a team player, and why, from your perspective, are you doing that? Maybe they feel like you're not doing your fair share because of a disconnect in priorities, or because what you're doing isn't as visible.

I am the only one in my group who was hired with a programming background (to also do work of that kind, along the same tasks as theirs) and scripting to make their lives easier is only appreciated for about 5 minutes. Obviously any work done on your workstation isnt work in their minds, Im obviously just goofing around. I have no idea how to change this tho.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

"Hello,

Recently it has come to my attention that yourself and your team are monitoring my work-flow. I'm sorry if I am not satisfying your expectations at the moment, but I will take any steps necessary to resolve this, and clear up any misunderstandings if they exist. Can I meet with you on X to discuss what you think is required from me?"

Or whatever. Get the ball rolling, on paper, to prove that you want to improve. It doens't matter on whether their claims against you or true or not, sending your boss an email will show you're trying to do *something*.

Would you agree that I should not CC HR on this yet?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

:shrug: I can't comment due to not knowing the ins and outs of your office. Are HR evil? Is your boss an over-reactionary dick? It's up to you.

I'd say my HR rep would move mountains, but my boss would definitely hate it.
I think I'll do it without any CC for now and if nothing comes of it, try again with CC to his boss and HR.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

luminalflux posted:

I'd suggest a face-to-face meeting instead of hiding behind email.

The email contains a meeting setup, which seems like a good idea to me.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

sanchez posted:

Regardless of how that goes I'd be looking for another job if I were you, much easier to find one when you already have one and you don't have to deal with a possible missing/bad reference.

Since you're in Austria i'm assuming they have to go through certain procedures before firing you, they're probably keeping a record of mistakes however trivial in order to justify that. In the US you can fire someone with no notice or reason so it's a little different here.

Im on a time limited contract, I'm aiming to still do the 1+a bit year, I'm not that worried about being fired, because the only way I could get terminated is if I either burn the place down or blatantly refuse to do any work. (Not because Im important, but simply legal reasons)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

swampcow posted:

I can't stand it when programmers choose to use XML for config files. I can understand that you don't want to write a custom parser for each program, but there's so many libraries that can parse human-parsable markup, such as yaml and json. There's no excuse these days.

I find XML quite human-readable.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

swampcow posted:

That's interesting. Quick question for you:

A tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping. Why is that?

Because the tortoise is already dead when I arrive.

e: In all seriousness tho, I'm not saying XML is the best, but I don't know why you think it's harder to read, it basically just mentions some things twice. I do like json as long as it doesn't have some stupid encoding on top of it.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 12, 2014

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

swampcow posted:

When I'm driving in my car, I prefer my windshield to be clean. I can drive when it's dirty, I just prefer to see nothing except what I need to see. Likewise, I prefer reading pretty much anything but XML because there is less structural cruft to sort through. If I'm writing a script that's parsing data, I could care less what the markup is.

The analogy would be more like do you want to have a sticker on your back window while looking out the front, since its just an additional closing tag.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Does json have all features xml has? Might be an idea to just get a converter and never edit xml again.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I guess I'm glad I've never had to use real XML then.
This is pretty close to any xml I've ever come across, including the few games that used it in configs:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SEKCobra?xml=1

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So the mdb file of a 90s software was corrupted after a pc freeze. poo poo happens, w/e, put the file from 2011 in since thats on the pc so they can use the attached device again. I suggested to maybe get the company to look at the file since what was recoverable with ontrack is not functional. Instead, my senior coworker asked me to look at the 2011 file (which our access cant even open anymore) and just fix the recovered one. All my attempts to tell him that I wont reverse engineer this database or software were ignored, just "figure it out".
Tried to install office 2k3, no license key around. I feel like I already did too much, if there arent any backups of this, tough luck. Apparently the department lost the printout ( which after being scanned is the legal archive format for this old system, only newer systems are digitally archived.) I cant magically reappear 1/3 of this file.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Just had my first "Internet on this PC is broek!" 404 Error call. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Bob Morales posted:

Friend from my old job told me they lost two shared drive to CryptoLocker and since they didn't have backups, they had to pay < $2,000 ransom to get their files back.

L
O
L

There's a decrypt service already, it's free.

https://www.decryptcryptolocker.com/