Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Looks like its MS SQL for me then. Its funny, I requested that they move me more towards Sysadmin in my review because that's what I had experience in. They said "hah, no, you've done oracle once" and moved me onto data while moving a new guy who doesn't know anything about sysadmin towards that path.

I cannot :yotj: quick enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Today its not really what's pissing me off, its what's causing me guilt.

Client pays for a scanner and asks me to install it on their server. They only have a server available and the scanner doesn't support it. Now the client is pissed off, which I get and I don't really care about. I asked my manager who deals with this sort of thing which would be admin (apparently). He also wants to have a word with the person in admin who scheduled it for me to do. This is where the guilt comes in. This person quite literally just assigned the work because the person usually assigning it isn't in. The manager is probably going to make them feel like crap over making a mistake, even though it wasn't their mistake, but they're going to take the fall for it regardless, even though we've said that she wasn't the one who sent out the scanner.

Just, loving, argh. Office politics annoys me. Now the admin girl is annoyed at me, the client is annoyed at me and i haven't even called the clients manager yet. Long day ahead.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I took a week off, clearing up the last of my leave before the march rush as everyone uses all their free time up at once. So what happened while I was off?

Oh, not much, door codes changed, that's weird. Hey where's the other new starter... oh dear.

He got fired for smoking outside of work. During non working hours, while away from the office and not in uniform. My boss is a dick.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Tobacco. My boss is trying to say his performance is lacking but I doubt that'll stand. He's going to get sued regardless, he fired a guy who didn't have a problem going straight to a lawyer.

E: This is worth explaining. My boss had one bad employee who happened to be a smoker, they argued while this guy was on a smoke break. Since then he's said that we're not allowed to smoke at the workplace and he pretty clearly has a problem with people who smoke, to the point of asking the new guys at least once a week during their training process if they smoke or not, as he doesn't trust smokers.

Of course, everyone either said "I quit a while ago" or "i don't". This guy was a "I quit a while ago" and started up again when the calls got stressful. He doesn't even go for smoke breaks, he goes during his lunch. I seriously don't understand why his habit was a problem aside from my boss just being a dick.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 10, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, standard 8 hour shift + half an hour for lunch, so, well, no.

Laugh away. I am, it hides the hurt.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Gonna just throw it out there that we're in the UK so i'm not quite sure what law will be applicable. I actually know more about US working laws than I do UK due to all my working friends being in the US.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
This means that my boss is in for a trainwreck, i'll keep you guys updated. As an end note, when I say boss, I mean the CEO fired him. I refer to my manager as my manager rather than boss.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lum posted:

"New Starter"

If it's the 3 month probationary period then they might get away with this, unfortunately. Just by saying something like "wasn't a good fit with the team" or similar.

He was at four months. Our contract actually says nine months probation :lol: but i've been told by a lawyer that legally that doesn't count for poo poo as after three months you're protected, contract or no. I'm not sure on this as a few work buddies have said otherwise, but I have no idea :shrug:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
gently caress yes. You've just made my day a hell of a lot better.

For pisses me off purposes: gently caress the guy who changed a setting for one of our biggest clients in their database before going home. Everything was hosed and we don't know who did it because 80% of the staff leave at the regular time. Someone is going to get a few choice words from my manager today, you're meant to tell us you're changing poo poo and then check that everything is ok before going home, at least so we know what the hell you changed.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

That sounds like mine. The one smoker he can't stop is the Sysadmin, who he won't fire because the Sysadmin is the only one who knows the system and he told him to shove the new contract up his arse when he read that smoking was no longer around. He's also currently working from home.

He is the living embodiment of backbone gets you further.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 10, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Update: A total of 10 people have been laid off for smoking outside of work/on their lunch break. Some had been working here for years. What the gently caress, why hasn't this guy been taken to the cleaners sooner?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Westie posted:

More importantly, why are you still there?

Not suggesting that you're a smoker, though.

Its cool, i'm already looking for opportunities to leave. I don't smoke, but this doesn't set a good precedent for any future things my boss might get pissed off with. What if he decides drinking during the week is not on after all, i'd be hosed (also, suing). Also, desk time is rigid as hell, if they see me with my phone on the desk they tell me to put it away and if i'm a minute or two late signing onto the phones then they actually dock it off my annual leave, meaning that yes, I had 7 hours 58 minutes worth of leave I could take and they expected me to come in for the two minutes. I wasn't allowed a full day off. This poo poo is depressing. I like the people here, but the boss and the rooms manager are just stressful as hell.

I can't just up and leave without another job i'm afraid. I can coast along until I find another job, but i'm going to start taking calls from recruiters again. Before it was just emails but that wasn't actively looking. Since this was my first real job I wanted to wait it out until six months before looking but i'm just about to hit the five month mark and i'm almost burnt out of something I was passionate about before.

Wow, that turned into a rantpost.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The first guy he caught smoking admittedly was doing it during work hours and told my boss that if he wants to restrict smoke breaks he's just going to leave. My boss is just dumb and has assumed every smoker is going to be like that.

Note: I'm not including that guy in the "fired for smoking" list.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 11, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's hilariously illegal by the way. Not a huge shocker given the other dumb poo poo the people you work for seem to be up to.

Heh, I figured it was shady, it didn't seem right. I can't seem to find anything on the world wide web about this, could you give me a place to look so I can read up on it?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 12, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I had gotten arranged a raise. Thats good, i don't mind getting paid a little bit more while looking for a new place. The problem is that it's a bonus, not a raise. The bonus is only if I don't take a single day off for any reason in a month. This means that if I got my raise of £3000 which I asked for, if I took a single day off for sickness or any other reason, i'd lose £250's worth of wages for that month. When I originally met with him to discuss it he said that there was a £40 bonus a month and the rest would be in salary increase.

Yeah, no. I have a meeting in two hours. gently caress this guy. Desperately need to :yotj:

E: I have no idea if this belongs in the ticket thread or the pissed off thread, but i'm loving furious so its here for now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, looks like he hosed up again. All the new guys have asked to have a meeting with him for what I assume is the same reason i have. We're all a bunch of typical English lads still (early 20's) which means I can't imagine any of us backing down about this. If he tries to stick to it today i'm telling him to :fuckoff: and walking.

Edit: One guy is already packing his stuff in preparation. I'm excited!

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 13, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Good news everyone, I didn't back down, he tried to give me an £80 bonus (which would have been part of my original salary, so if I got paid 1000 a month normally on the new plan, it would have only been 920 under the new plan because raises don't loving count as a raise). I told him that it wasn't acceptable, that if i'm going to continue to work for the company i'm going to need it in actual salary, as if I want to buy a house the company that sells me it will look at my basic salary, not my bonuses.

He also took into account my five sick days i've taken in five months (that's a lot of sick days! Yeah right gently caress off) and told me that was why he changed it, he wanted an incentive for people to come in. I told him that if he wants an incentive he needs to provide an actual bonus, rather than threatening to take away from my salary. So he's put it all into my salary (every 3-6 months I get an increase of some kind, guy's definitely trying to save on money) and he's actually put the £80 bonus on top of my salary.

(under)Dog wins. gently caress you boss. Basic salary increase + bonus being an actual bonus. Plus the Salary increase is 18.75%. Way more than he was offering in the first place.

:dance:

I was even polite, I walked in, shook his hand and addressed him like he was a reasonable human being. gently caress, I think I understand this diplomacy thing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, he said that he was worried about people calling sick with a slight headache. I've told him that's not my problem. What is my problem is that he's using other peoples excuses as a reason to threaten my pay. I also told him that I offered to work from home because while I could work, I knew I was contagious. He seemed to agree, told me I can't work from home yet as i'm not experienced enough yet (drat) but the offer was noted.

So he was being an absolute dick because some people had taken the piss before. I've let him know that i'm not letting him associate that with me, that I genuinely like working (I do, i'd rather work from home than take a sick day if I could still concentrate. I just don't want to make everyone else ill with a chest infection) and that if he saw it as a possible problem, he should bring it up with me rather than drop a change from what he's offered on me, on the day i'm meant to sign the forms and expect me to comply.

From what I hear he told the other guys to resign at first because they went in angry, they said "fine" and he backpedaled. The guy is spineless.

Edit: Hah, his only comment when he talked to the admin people was "these fuckers are stubborn, they won't budge".

drat loving right.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Honestly, if i'm not able to work from home because i'm literally bedridden, vomiting and unable to even play games, then i'm going to tell him and i'll lose that months bonus pay. That's what I agreed to and i'll stick to it.

If i'm at home and i'm able to play games, i'm able to work. Like I said, I like working, but i'm not giving him an inch, if he wants to try and take the piss, i'll just have another meeting with him *shrug* I know what I agreed to, I have it in writing. I explained that there has to be some level of mutual respect in a working relationship and so long as he sticks to his word, i'll stick to mine.

It was weird having such an open conversation, i'll be honest, usually there's a lot more politics involved, but I was ready to walk today if he disagreed.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 13, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Agrikk posted:

And that is why he caved. "Do this or I am leaving" is a powerful position to be in during negotiations.

It's a double-edged sword though, so be careful. Right now your boss could be telling HR and/or HIS boss that his troops are on the verge of mutinying. An easy tactic for them to use is to capitulate and give you guys what you want to keep you happy and around for the short term while they explore ways to render you all obsolete.

I was speaking to the CEO because I work in the head office. My boss is literally "the boss". He seems like the type of guy who will try and take the piss and then back down the second you say "no, that's not going to work". But hey, at least if he tries to lay me off, I can pad my reserve wallet with the extra cash i'm being given.

E: Anyway, all seems happy now. I'll stop flooding the thread with this, just realised how much i've been posting over the last few days.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 13, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mewse posted:

My father's father was very english so maybe that's why I am identifying with you so heavily, but there are some people in the world that are advocating something called radical honesty. Dana White from the UFC is probably one of them. It's where you unload what you are actually thinking and see what the hell happens. I think that's what you did in this situation.

Now the problem, if your boss is actually a spineless piece of poo poo, is that you can get him to do the right thing by talking straight with him, but assholes and idiots can get him to do the wrong thing by telling him the wrong stuff. So you're always going to be fighting the person that isn't in the room because your boss does not have independent cognitive ability. gently caress that guy and keep looking for a better job.

To confirm, my CV is still out there, i'm just filtering out the jobs that are further away and pay the same, or are in like, london where travelling there each day would cost me most of my increased salary and take up way more of my day. I want to be a sysadmin, so i'm keeping an eye out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yup, that's London in a nutshell. An NHS guy I know left his job for an £85,000 tech job in london, plus benefits. That's what it'd take to get me to even consider London. £22,000 for a london job was one of my offers. Yeah right, gently caress off.

On a printer note, I just traded a printer ticket in exchange for setting up backups for a very, very pissed off customer. I've had a no printer wonderland for the last 2 weeks and I will keep this train going.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Usually its the kind that involves them conspiring against the company, but Bob already said she's a pretty great person so who knows?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

nitrogen posted:

this article is for all of you.
http://jeffarchibald.ca/60-hour-work-week-badge-honour/

I post this, because it feels REALLY GOOD to let the work cell ring, and not answer it because you're watching House of Cards and don't want to hit pause on a Saturday Night.

It's a feeling I hope many of you learn to appreciate.

Hey man, nothing like being able to quote you're doing a 60 hour week while sitting down watching tv shows. I'm on my 25th hour of this week so far. Although in two hours I don't think i'll get to call it this week anymore due to it officially being Monday then.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, if you've been reading the ticket thread, you know i'm in wales right now. What you probably don't know is that the data conversion guy is a loving rear end in a top hat who has taken the better part of two days to do his part of the job. It got to monday (it should have been done yesterday) and we asked a guy back at the office to do it.

It took him an hour and a half. All the data guy has to do is implement it. I'm still loving waiting.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lum posted:

Sounds like an opportunity to spend the day in the pub.

Impromptu wales goon meet?

Unfortunately, I'm going to be heading out the door shortly. It looks like the guy is just about done (loving finally) and then all I have to do is configure our software (it needs to look at the database for me to do this) and train the users. Since the users have all gone home, i'm just going home.

Well poo poo, the guy finished as I was posting this. Next time Lum, i'll buy you a drink (or five, depending on how pissed you want to get).

Edit: And yes, that does mean i'm still at the Vets Practice right now.

Edit two: Freedom! And the next day off too! It literally took like 15 minutes for me to do my part

dogstile fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 17, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So after that weekend work I did in Wales, my boss said "sure, have the next day off". What he didn't tell me was that it was coming out of my overtime (as we either get it as time off in lieu or normal pay, boss gets to decide).

Goodbye, 8 hours of my 34 hour overtime! Should have seen that coming.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mercurius posted:

If it wasn't specifically said to you in advance (and in writing) that it was going to be coming out of your overtime budget I'd be pushing your HR/payroll department about that, especially considering the other stuff you've posted about that guy. Sounds pretty dodgy to me.

I mentioned it to the admin team, I have no idea what's going to happen with it.

Inspector_666 posted:

Dell shipped the wrong part. After missing their ship date. Twice.

And this is at least the third time this has happened in the last couple of months.

And the cherry on top is that in this case, the part was a loving laptop wireless card that they DIDN'T PUT IN THE loving LAPTOP BEFORE SHIPPING IT. HOW. HOW IN THE gently caress DELL.

I have no idea what the hell happened to dell, in the last few years they've just gotten progressively worse as each month passes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bokito posted:

They changed the rules recently at my company: the first 4 hours of overtime per week are not paid out, but 'part of the job'. It doesn't matter when you work these 4 hours. This means that if you work 4 hours on Saturday and 4 on Sunday on any given weekend, the total amount of overtime is 0, because Saturday and Sunday are in different weeks... :downs:

The engineers have to deal with that here, working hours are 9 to 5:30, but they're only allowed to claim overtime from 7:00 onwards. I don't get that, you're basically working an hour and a half for free.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Antioch posted:

We then got a super pissy passive aggressive email about 1pm today about "Following Process" and "Thinking before Acting", that was CC'd to the VP and Director. I'm looking forward to the team meeting tomorrow.

Well don't hold out on us! What happened?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Caged posted:

"But we only just bought these OptiPlex 745s! They're dual core Pentium 4s, why are they suddenly slow?"

You joke, but this is the exact model of computer that i'm posting from.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Caged posted:

I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing this, but there are definitely some IT types who see pulling a 60 hour week to keep some decrepit old poo poo barely running instead of drawing up a business case for a replacement and leaving at 6 as a badge of honour.

Depending on how much I need the overtime, I will definitely stay an extra couple of hours doing the dumb checklist that my place has to "confirm" that the bricked hardware is bricked.

E: Also every senior at my workplace routinely has 70+ hours of overtime each month. I have no idea how they do it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'll admit, while I know speedtest isn't that accurate I will abuse the poo poo out of it to get Virgin to boost my net. If anything, it means my connection drops less because they boost me, which is good because before I started abusing it, my internet dropped constantly.

poo poo that's pissing me off? A customer is trying to say they've been down for a month because I told them to restart their server. This is of course, bullshit. I told them I was going to restart a service on their server for them, they went "its ok, i'll just turn it off and on again" and hit the power switch before I could respond. It didn't have a UPS attached. However, it started up again and hey, the program was working again!

Of course, the server happens to keel over a month later and because I was the last techie to talk to them about it, i've apparently killed it, deleted the ticket (i've found it and shown them it) and now its all some grand conspiracy to get a couple grand out of them. gently caress you clients, we get all our profits through licensing anyway! Servers make us jack poo poo in comparison, it is literally better for us not to sabotage your crap as after overhead costs are factored in, i'm pretty sure we lose money replacing it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Caged posted:

"Oh gee I guess I'm out of my depth trying to deal with this. It's probably best if you talk to the ISP directly"

Then go and do something worthwhile.

Boss: "Bob, why don't you talk to the ISP directly for me"

You know it'll happen. Depending on who the ISP is though, they might actually push your speed above what they're actually selling you to get you to shut up, so i'd give it a go if your boss is that insistent about it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
loving helpdesk hell. I've just been told I need to stop helping customers with broadband issues, as there is a team for that. I need to stop helping customers in regards to training, as there are trainers available for that and I need to stop doing anything to do with the database, as there is a team for that.

Bearing in mind that they gave me instructions to do all of these things. Now I can literally go "oh yeah, i know what's wrong with that, let me pass you over" and hope someone from the other teams are available, because apparently knowing how to fix an issue at t1 of helpdesk isn't enough to be able to fix the loving problem. So now my day has gone from "fixing varied and interesting problems" to "Printers" "More printers" "My PC is slow, help!" and "how do I run this report". Wait, I can't even tell them the last one, because i'm apparently not a loving trainer.

*note, these fuckers sent me out to do a training session two weeks ago

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

jim truds posted:

It sounds like your in a call center more then a help desk. Fun fact about those, your job is answering calls and then ending them, no one there really cares if any one gets helped. I recommend to do that, try to make friends with one of the other Teams if you can, and don't sweat it if your told to just take calls and stop helping. It sucks but you are best of using that energy towards finding a better job.

Well that was it, I was hired for a help desk role (6 months ago). This is a recent development and the reason I got this job so easily was because I had a fair bit of experience behind me. I've been looking for a way out for a while because the atmosphere was crap but I actually had stuff to do so it wasn't so bad. Looks like its about time to start doing the bare minimum because its not like these assholes were rewarding me for thinking.

Edit:

I just said "gently caress it" and asked my manager (again) if I could work on broadband issues if they're small things and I can get them done in a reasonable time. He wasn't going to go for it but the broadband team had my back on it because its less work for them. I swear it shouldn't be this hard to do work but hey ho! I'm doing broadband issues now!

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 5, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well i'm a loving idiot. One of out clients who I talked to a fair bit and got on with asked me if people at my company liked her. I said "its probably mixed, as with working relationship some people like working with certain people more than others" and assured her that everyone I heard talking about her liked her.

She only paid attention to the part I quoted and has written a complaint into the company and now its on my head. Way to go fuckhead, you just hosed over the only person willing to do you a favour.

E: Just had a meeting with my boss. He was surprisingly calm and just told me that I need to be like a politician and dodge more questions than I answer. Seems fair enough.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 7, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Potato Alley posted:

Yeah the fact that someone would even ask the question would set off alarm bells - people who are secure with themselves don't need to ask, and people who are socially capable should already know who likes them and who doesn't, generally speaking, and be OK with that.

Just giving a quick update on this. I was CC'd into the reply back. My boss told her i'd been working here 3 months less than I have (which I don't know if that's him covering up or if he genuinely doesn't realise how long i've been here) and that next time she should speak to a main contact or wait.

Her complaints? The people working on her site were all busy with other calls (database work) and she thought that because I went and dug up information by grabbing it from them, that they weren't busy and could therefore talk to her.

She then complained that as she was going to be promoted to one of her colleagues positions, we should treat her with the same respect we do her colleague. We do, but her colleague has the final say on matters until she gets promoted in a couple of months.

Third complaint was that "Your employees are naive and shouldn't have answered the question of if I was liked or not". Well gently caress you, you shouldn't have asked the question. She even cherry picked the phrase that made her look like she was in the right, even then she had to twist what I actually said to fit her loving stupid agenda.

TL:DR? Someone who wants more power in her company than she has, has crippling self esteem issues and is pissing on everyone else because of it. Also, this wonderful loving phrase.

"regardless of my gender or my younger appearance I possess the same experience, seniority and expertise as he". Yeah, nobody gives a poo poo about your age or that you're a loving woman. Get over yourself.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TK-42-1 posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Backup Exec 2012 and Symantec Support. I opened a ticket because I can't restore some files from tape due to catalog errors. Support asks me to run a some command line stuff and then try to catalog again. I tell them I can't because the tape drive is still duplicating from the weekend. Come in today to find out there were no backups overnight and that nothing works because I have no catalogs anymore. There wasn't a single mention of this yesterday when I was talking to support.

I can't possibly express how angry I am that we paid money for this program.

I loving hate Backup Exec and I honestly don't understand why some of my company's use it. We have loving backup scripts ready for you to use, let us use them! :argh:

Its favourite error for me lately is telling me that my files are corrupt so it won't back them up, despite the files being fine. Dunno what the gently caress to do with it, so here I am looking it up in my own time because I don't have time when i'm at work.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ask what he's willing to give considering he knows what he's going to take.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yup, same thing here. People at work think I don't give a poo poo and that i'm being lazy or not taking poo poo seriously because everything is going to poo poo and i'm sat around discussing it with my normal voice. I do care, I just happened to grow up in a place where everything had gone to poo poo, when I clawed my way out things were trying to go to poo poo and if I didn't hold it all together I wouldn't be where I am now. gently caress acting like a panic stricken child because something's gone wrong. poo poo goes wrong, you sort it out, end of.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 17, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
drat Sickening, that's pretty dang impressive. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fixing stuff that's broken was a good 75% of my last job too (and 100% of my current one). Doesn't mean learning to break it is useful. Learning how something works and loving it up (by accident) is far more useful, as it'll give you an inkling of where some people might go wrong with it, how to troubleshoot, what steps to take, etc.

Just breaking poo poo to fix it is like poking holes in a piece of wood and then trying to figure out which part goes where. Its obvious, because you just did it, on purpose.