Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I just got a spam email with an attached Word doc. With a Word macro virus. In TYOOL 2014.

It's so cute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

anthonypants posted:

The coolest guy I know carries around a plastic Aldi grocery bag full of melty candy bars.

And now Operation Yewtree has a new target.

poo poo pissing me off: I spec hardware for our users. Finance actually places those orders because they can move money between budgets. It's supposed to be a rubber-stamp. Except this rubber stamp has taken a month to go through the last couple of times. These quotes expire after two weeks and often the price differs because of component prices and poo poo. But they sit on these orders for a month then Finance turn around and try to claim that them taking a month is my fault. According to my boss "this has been noticed and something will be done." He wouldn't bet me a tenner that it'd be in the next year, mind.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Related to being fixers, server necromancers, and the like: I hate when my colleagues spend three weeks banging their heads off complex fixes when they've buggered up the root cause.

"This user's home directory won't map. She's been with us for thirty years, we can't just scrap her profile and try again. We tried mapping and remapping and re-setting AD permissions and nothing changed. It might be a permissions problem on the samba server doing the exporting, or is it the windows client and do they have something weird set up in a part of the AD that we don't have access to? Is it a weird roaming profile thing? We'll have to try all of them. We'll do the Linux/Samba side first because most of us are Linux geeks but half of them do nothing and the other half break more things. It's been two weeks and nothing fixes it. DigitalRaven, could you check the Windows side of things to make sure we didn't miss anything?"

"Her home directory won't map because some stupid bastard set up a printer queue on the same server with the same name as her home directory. Rename the queue and bring me the fingers of whoever set it up."

Ask "why" before you ask "how".

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Manslaughter posted:

For the past two years I have been serving part of my job as an uncompensated email monkey for another employee. Back when I started there were three of us watching a shared email box and grabbing the incoming issues based on what the ticket was about. Fast forward to today and the activity for this email box has greatly died down. Now there is only one person handling 99% of the issues that come through that email, but for some reason this joker won't add it to his watched inboxes, so I have to forward every email that comes in to his address directly. This wouldn't be so bad, but then instead of writing the client back himself he just replies back with a "tell them this:" message, so that I'm the one that inevitably handles all communication with anyone and ends up getting called or emailed for issues when I haven't worked with the product in a long time.

You've been doing this for two years without so much as setting up an auto-forward rule on this mailbox to force your coworker to deal with the email himself. You must enjoy being the sub in the D/S relationship you've got going on there. That's cool and all, but most people don't make that side of them into a significant part of their job.

If you don't secretly enjoy it, grow a loving backbone.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dudley posted:

I had this today. Office manager trying to get me to use a locker to store the tech books I have under my desk because they "look untidy".

My offer to replace the entire desk with a rock garden and decorative water fountain was not entirely successful.

"The tech books are much more useful than my phone. One helps me get my job done, one interrupts me, demands my attention, forces me to stop thinking about what I've been trying to solve, and wastes my time. Let's fix that poo poo. The same applies to a whole bunch of people who work here. Fix them, then we'll talk about the desk."

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo pissing me off: Email at 17:10 on Tuesday, as I'm stepping onto the bus home. "The projector in Classroom 5 is broke. I plugged my machine in and got nothing."

Go down at 8:55 Wednesday with a couple of test laptops. All of them work just fine. Email user to the effect of "Can I get some more details, like what the gently caress machine are you using so I can test one of the same model?"

Email back ten minutes ago. "It didn't work. I don't know anything else. Also, I'm 500 miles away now so can't be any more help."

And yet I can't close it as "can't replicate" without the user signing off...

poo poo not pissing me off: playing about getting Munki set up for user-driven mac config management. Not state-based, but I think I can add that in once I'm more used to the codebase and get 95% of what I'm after from a user-facing CM system for 5% of the work. :v:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo pissing me off: people who think that our team are loving computer janitors. First line's handled by a helpline somewhere else, but if they need someone on site, well, first line can't be trusted to walk between sites and we're on-hand, so we go do it to remind the rest of the department that we exist. Normally it's fine, but you get the occasional user who refuses to believe that any A/V stuff can work without me or a co-worker there. We don't have to touch anything, but they think we've got an aura. Guess whose turn it is today!

"We need someone to be on-hand at nine as we have $PERSON presenting for $PRESTIGIOUSPOSITION and we need to make sure it'll work." It's a teaching room. It's worked five times a day every day for the last couple of years. You actually mean "I want someone on-hand so if $PERSON can't connect a VGA cable it looks like it's your fault."

"Oh, and can you be here again at 14:00? Another interviewee for $PRESTIGIOUSPOSITION." I can do half-two. "Well, okay, but I'll be here from 14:00." That's nice. I'll still be demonstrating my system for managing the university's entire Mac infrastructure to senior management then. I have a job to do that isn't pandering to your inability to turn on a loving projector.

This'un's whole manner treats us as silly little computer people, the oompa-loompas of the department, rather than sysadmins who happen to be the only on-site support and don't want to piss off senior management by saying "no" too often.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Well there is, but we don't have access to it.

Mention it. When someone else mentions the lack of access, brandish a set of lock picks and a thoughtful expression. "Well, I could, if I had my line manager's approval."

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We're booking a theatre from a local college for this

Then definitely do not do what I suggested. Only works if it's your employer's facilities that they're not letting you use.

quote:

I actually don't mind doing my part in making each presentation as lovely as possible. They continually ignore my input when I say get a real hall and especially rent a local AV company because they're cheap and have the equipment/expertise, but they always try to go cheaper and do as much in-house with equipment not made for the job (like using a $100 set of computer speakers and a classroom projector for a presentation to 500-600 people). None of it really falls into my job description either, and as far as I'm concerned, audio equipment is a facilities problem.

But it runs on electricity, that makes it IT's problem.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Something in SSL/Apache/cUrl that's been loving with me.

Set up https on a vhost. We usually get a certificate and key for the server, and a chain file that goes back to the CA. Sometimes one hop, sometimes several. All normal.

SSLCertificateFile <foo>.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile <foo>.key
SSLCertificateChainFile <foo>.chain

Set it up for a different vhost. This one using its own self-signed CA for just one piece of software. If you do

SSLCertificateFile <foo>.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile <foo>.key
SSLCertificateChainFile cacert.pem

Apache doesn't complain. Browsers don't complain (depending on the browser, adding cacert.pem to the certificate store might not stop self-signed certificate errors). OpenSSL is fine with it. cUrl (run with --cacert cacert.pem) shits the bed royally. The documentation would need a good six months of work to drag it up to joke status. No idea what's gone wrong. Only when poking around in the apache docs do we see that we can specify the SSLCACertificateFile rather than having it as a one-item chain file.

Change that last line to

SSLCACertificateFile cacert.pem

And all of a sudden the poo poo that's driven me to drink... okay, to drink more over the past four days all starts working again.

I'm not particularly au fait with Apache, but if browsers work and openssl works, I'm going to assume things are right. If you're going to throw a loving error message, at least have docs that mention that the error message exists.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Spazz posted:

I don't know what to be mad at -- SharePoint, PowerShell, or .NET -- so I'm compromising by being mad at everything. Here's why if anybody might have input.

I may be (probably am) misunderstanding, but why are you using -UseDefaultCredentials and then setting $proxy.credentials? Surely you should be using -credential $credentials on the New-WebServiceProxy?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

moosepoop posted:

Also fixing 70% of most small issues by standing next to the user while he reboots the machine to discover that the issue magically disappeared. Some users believe I have magical IT powers now. :v:

loving hell this. This right here.

"It didn't do that last time I restarted."

Yeah, that time that never happened you stupid loving lying shitstain.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I had to teach my boss about emacs' nxml mode.

That may not sound too weird, but he loves XML and loves emacs. Possibly in a way that will see him under police observation. Creepy insistence on using it even when I've loaned him a terminal.

I on the other hand would happily pan fry my left bollock if it meant never touching XML again, and have alias emacs='vim' in my .zshrc just to gently caress with him. And yet, I'm the one who knows how to drive his loving editor.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

dissss posted:

I have my own photo on my intranet profile, but the bio section is the lyrics for the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme. Been like that for going on two years now and no one has noticed.

At a previous job one of my co-workers had this picture on their profile - I think HR eventually did get them to change it but it took them a while to notice.

My email sig listed my job title as "Computation Demonologist" for four years before HR finally noticed. New task: Change job title to "Computational Demonologist".

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Is your name Bob Howard?

Would that it were. Charlie dared me one night in the pub.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

After almost a full month of phone and in-person interviews and last-minute reference madness the HR VP just called to offer me the job I've been chasing. She wound up insisting on talking to my old CEO and I decided to go with it, contacting him first to prep him. She says he gave me a fantastic, detailed recommendation which helps balance out the stupid bullshit his company put me through.

I start Monday. Sr. Vice President of I.T. with my first six-figure salary, a large increase over my last position. Better late than never! I will put what I've learned at the last job into play here. Now my plan is to try and educate myself on the things that could help keep me at this level for the next part of my career, like project management. At 48 (even a young-looking 48) I have to make sure what I offer is in keeping with what employers expect of someone of my age and experience.

Thank you all for listening to literally years worth of employment drama. I can't tell you how many times it's helped keep me on an even keel, and it's partially responsible for how quickly I bounced back from my flame-out at the last place. I feel much better positioned to deal with this next job due to all the advice I've received.

YEEEEEEEAH!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

An email that I didn't send posted:

Dear fuckhead,

Yes, we can help you set up with a webcam/microphone for someone to join a meeting via Skype. You've told us it's only a couple of people and half a dozen physically present. As you have never set up a Skype group video thing before, we'll even pop along to get you started, one to do the actual setup and one to provide a bit of training ("Click the video call icon. The one I'm pointing at. No, don't close the window, click the icon. The icon. The one I told you to click the first bloody time you dribbling incompetent." -- why I don't give training).

No, we don't sort out conference telephone calls. That's a different team.

No, we don't have a twenty-metre telephone extension cable, because we do not deal with loving telephones.

No, we don't move tables between rooms. We're sysadmins, not trolleys.

No, you can't have twenty-five people remoting in to your session via Skype. You told us it was two people.

No, you can't get all forty people in the room into shot on this one webcam. You told us it was going to be half a dozen. We can't help you at this scale.

No, we are not looking forward to the next meeting that's going to be "even more popular" with "so many more people interested in coming". You should call Conferences & Events. Oh, they wanted to charge you money? No poo poo, Sherlock! That's what big events like that cost. You've wasted half a day's time of two senior computing officers setting this bullshit up because you lied to us about the scope and the size and you only gave us full details when we were on our way over to set up so we showed up woefully unprepared. If you come to us again we will also bill for your time. Which, given that you can't get through a single sentence without pausing for thought, um-ing and ah-ing, and repeating yourself at random, is going to be what bankers and economists technically call a fuckload of money.

No love,

Me.

One of these days, I'll bring a rocket launcher in to work and just lay waste like it's fuckin' GTA or some poo poo. Everyone in my team will either give me an alibi or explain how it's justifiable homicide, depending if I'm covered in blood when the polis show up.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 3, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

A3th3r posted:

ingrates at work piss me off!

People who can't tell a story of what pisses them off piss me off.

As do people who roll in at half eleven, decide they're taking a half-day at twelve, vanish for a lunch break at one, and gently caress off completely at half one. Said he'd make up the time while he's on the move. Which would be so much easier if he remembered his laptop. Or wasn't a workshy arsehole who has drawn the ire of senior management to us as a team, not him as a twat.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

There's a reason I'm not the only one in my team to have lock picks in my toolkit.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

myron cope posted:

Did you willfully violate U.S.C. Title 39 Section 3002a?????

Nah.

I'm in Scotland, so it's legal to buy/ship from a UK retailer, but possession is covered under Section 58(1) of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982. Or would be if I had two or more convictions for theft, as that's to whom that section of the Act applies. As I've no convictions it doesn't apply, and anyway they're kept at work for the express purposes of opening locks at work on the order of the owner of the lock.

If I carried them off the premises and the polis took issue, they'd do me and find a way to make it stick, but that's the polis for you.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Running our regular audits, we found a piece of software that allowed users to pass their credentials in cleartext.

We opened a request with the software vendor to encrypt the passwords over TLS.

Response:

"The server is supposed to be on your network, not on the Internet. Focus on keeping people out of your network before asking us to enable features we don't support."

How... what in the... :psyduck:

Name and shame.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Pissing me off today: ssh ProxyCommand and kerberos.

code:
Host *.secure.example.com
    GSSAPIAuthentication yes
    GSSAPIDelegateCredentials yes
    ProxyCommand ssh -W %h:%p gateway.example.com
Does what you'd expect on the first hop and uses the a tgt to connect to gateway (and get a tgt there) but then falls back to password auth on secure. Every time I think I've got a handle on kerberos & ssh something like this happens.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

evol262 posted:

Your ticket isn't forwardable

No, I've got a forwardable ticket. Then again, I've also got our security guy taking a look tomorrow morning. Right now it's whisky o'clock.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

Does gateway have the .ssh/config set up in such a way that it continues forwarding credentials? I’m not a unix wizard, but kerberos auth might not be automagically forwarded like ssh keys are with proxycommand.

e: Yep, just tried it with mine. If you change it to:

<snip>

then it should allow a full passthrough with no auth queries. You just need to add an additional Host line for each host you ProxyCommand to in the chain on your initial host.

Had that all set. Turns out it's a weird DNS/Kerberos interaction because of how our old network manager (now 4 years gone, and we're still trying to decipher his perl scripts) set things up.

Hourschat: I used to do 10-6, but just recently started coming in 8:30-4:30 after a bout of insomnia and I'm finding it's really quite good. I don't get to lie in, but I'm not as knackered when I leave work.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Hexanitro..what?

Hexadecanitrofullerene. Otherwise known as N60 buckyballs.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

No poo poo, but I had brought back a stack of older machines that we had initially thought would be given away, but the boss changed his mind and decided that we'll not only keep them, we'll use them to replace our current machines.
My friend had an old Inspiron 700m that had a bad harddrive, and I had an old 60gb laptop drive. Could be worse, at least I have a stick of ram to bring it up to 1gig once I get the keyboard off.

Time those shitboxes had an accident with an industrial drill and some thermite.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Never not use the Cockney phonetic alphabet.

A for 'orses
B for mutton
C for yourself
D for ential
E for Adam

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress academia.

Academics want petty bullshit and don't think "gently caress off until after teaching starts because this is not time critical and we're a loving university you brain-damaged shitebags" is an appropriate answer. I need to get our teaching labs up to spec and rebuilt by Monday morning. The spacktard contractors, who ensured us that the new teaching rooms would be ready "at the end of July" still haven't finished and they're in use 8am-6pm Mon-Fri next week; once the contractors finish I need to get the computers and A/V hooked up before anyone can use them. And this afternoon, I have to give an IT induction to a bunch of new postgraduates rather than doing any real goddamn work.

I repeat: gently caress academia with a rusty spike.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Ctrl+A
Ctrl+shift+f

:smug:

code:
gg=G
:smug:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flosofl posted:

We haven't heard anything. I have a concern. :ohdear:

:10bux: he's under the parking lot

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flosofl posted:

You need to look at shopping that experience around. I never finished my bachelors, and in fact my field of study is pretty far removed from anything IT. I'm not going to get into specifics, but my base salary has been more than adequate for the last 10 years or so.

Some of the best sysadmins I know either never finished their bachelors, or got degrees in unrelated fields — English Lit, Law, and Art History are really popular for some reason.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Today, I had about two hours where we were spitballing a VDI, vSphere on top of GRID cards for remote CAD work. Then I get told "just get someone else in $COMPANY to do it, vSphere isn't something the team has skills in."

I know. I want to learn those loving skills. I want to learn any skills that someone outside this organisation will find value in. I'm sick and tired of going to conferences and events and having people ask what we're using, because I can't stand the mix of pity and incredulity when I answer. We're doing what amounts to best practice — configuration management, virtualisation, monitoring & metrics... but how we're doing them is a case study in hair-shirt Heath Robinson bullshit. The last 20 years, budgets have meant the bits of the company that don't pay Microsoft directly couldn't afford anything but FLOSS, so the hair-shirt DIY mentality has settled in hard and it makes me despair.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gonna try talking to the tech guys that sometimes wander over to say hi from their side of the floor and quietly see if I can set myself up to be poached. Politely, and not a half-begged "TAKE ME WITH YOU! :qq:", if I can manage it.

I've managed this semi-successfully in the past. Advertised development role, actually software testing, hated every second of it. Would go for a smoke with the guy in charge of the sysadmin team. He had a big plan to expand the team so the company could run transactions 24/7 rather than 9/5, and for that he'd need three new people. After six months, he outright said I'd be his first pick if I wanted it.

I spent a couple of weeks happy, until my boss (who actively hated me) went to upper management and got his entire plan shitcanned. She trashed what would have been a major business improvement just to gently caress me over. I got something far better not long after.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Aunt Beth posted:

Banking, insurance, and government is still dominated by mainframe computing. There's a reason why the platform still makes money hand over fist for IBM: World-class reliability, world-class performance, and complete backwards compatibility to the System/360 released in 1965. Big, slow, risk averse companies love the fact that they ironed all the bugs out of their core processes in 1978 and haven't had to modify since them. Wouldn't you too, when you're a house handling billions of transactions a day worth tens of billions of dollars?

I used to work in a bank, writing COBOL and SAS and doing hideous things to z/OS job control language to make everything work.

Goddamnit, I thought I'd drunk those memories away.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Skandranon posted:

You could leave that at a job you hate when you leave. Practically an IT landmine.

I got given the Millennium Bug Toolkit CD from a couple of co-workers when I started here in 2010.

I haven't had the heart to open it up and see just how bad it is yet.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo that pisses me off: Office chairs.

I've always had a bad back, but it's got progressively worse, to the point that sitting in our standard office chairs hurts p much constantly. Local facilities manager arranged a chair with "lumbar support" (the same as the standard chair but with an inflatable thing in the small of the back). It did gently caress-all. He refuses to get anything else without a referral from central occupational health. Occupational health say "we don't do back pain, your local facilities manager can arrange a new chair."

So now I get to play Catch-22 in the hopes of getting something that isn't a £30 piece of poo poo and maybe not being in pain when I'm in the office. Tempted to just buy a decent chair off eBay and give my boss the bill.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Check craigslist and see if there is anyone who sells used Aerons or Steelcase chairs. I got a rebuilt Steelcase Leap for $200 that has been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

I've a couple on my eBay watch list — I'm in the UK, only hookers use Craigslist — but ultimately it's my employer's duty to provide a workplace that doesn't put me in pain, and I'm not about to spend my own money on something to fix their fuckup. Co-workers don't have to pay out-of-pocket for ergonomic keyboards or office heaters, after all. Same thing, different bit of office furniture, just departmental Catch-22.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lynxifer posted:

Guessing UK, but; sorry, Occupational Health do "do" back pain. You just ran into a lazy OccHealth person.

Both sides are lazy, is the problem. Facilities manager neither changed our office door lock nor collected the keys from the previous occupants after we moved in; it took three years badgering him before that changed. Occy Health, on the other hand, play "do the online posture training and risk assessment thing that takes five hours because it's full of lovely animations and achingly slow scrolling, then we'll tell you it's up to local Facilities" game.

Technical thing posting me off: our deploy cycle takes about two hours. I'm putting together a small webapp for the team; more and more of what we do above and beyond the day-to-day sysadmin stuff is rewriting a bunch of ancient software that's written in the kind of Perl someone writes when they've discovered some neat shortcuts/working line noise but haven't realised that readable code is a good thing.

It takes two hours from building RPMs to getting it available, with a bunch of non-automatable manual steps that kick in every 10-15 minutes — just frequently enough to steal focus from what I'm doing. It's the same process we go through to deploy Matlab or StarCCM or other giant monstrosities of software, which is fine because we build those once every couple of years. Not so web apps, obviously. It takes ten minutes to fix a bug, but then two hours attending to this manual process, then ten minutes fixing the new round of bugs.

I would love for someone else here to have even heard of continuous integration, and would commit GBH to get Jenkins up and running.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gounads posted:

The guy who doesn't know php syntax wins there.

PHP isn't a programming language, it's a Turing-complete set of security vulnerabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

xzzy posted:

From what I've heard the hardest part of Korean is if you don't speak it well, a native speaker will offer to talk in english instead because they all know english anyways and want to practice it.

True of so many languages. The first time someone responded to me in German when I was in Germany was a triumph.