Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I need a gently caress Printers t-shirt or something like that.
We bought a bunch of new Sharp printers, to find out that Sharp on Mac OSX released only the PS drivers. And to enable PS printing, you need to buy a module. What the hell.
And my colleague is looking for crazy workarounds (foomatic, gutenprint) which do not state support on those specific printers.

gently caress printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
We ended up using Gutenprint with a completely obscure Sharp driver.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Is this the right thread to complain about how Outlook and GMail IMAP interact?

Because trying to move a 21GB pst file into an IMAP account is getting unjustifiably hard. Why does outlook stop every other operation to sync its accounts? Why isn't the default behaviour "sync the whole account not just the main folders" ?

Not featured in this post: "why did my outsourced colleague set up POP accounts for such huge mail accounts?" and "why are we using Outlook if we don't have an Exchange server?".

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Because it's better than the alternatives.

Could you please elaborate?
I've found a couple of niggling issues between the Google's IMAP implementation and Outlook, I don't really think it's better than the alternatives.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

evol262 posted:

I'm still happy with mutt, but Thunderbird and Sparrow beat outlook if all you want is IMAP

I'm directly comparing Thunderbird and Office in my company, we're using Google for Business.
Outlook sometimes gets stuck synchronizing folders: when it's in this state, it's impossible to send, to move messages or to create new folders because the queue is occupied by a huge sync process.

Char fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 15, 2014

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Sickening posted:

Which version of outlook are you using? I have been using imap on 2013 and I haven't had an issue. I am syncing 3 different accounts as well.

2013, automatic updates enabled so I guess I've got the latest Office updates.

In this specific instance, I'm trying to move a colleague's account from a POP3 account to an IMAP one, I need to move the entire bulk of messages she has, subfolders included. It somehow doesn't consider a bunch of subfolders and it's not updating them. And in the meanwhile it's not sending messages: I've got a a "Synchronizing account..." activity in the activities window, and I have to stop it to actually send messages.

I believe Google's non-standard IMAP implementation has some faults, too. But I'm having no side-effects with Thunderbird.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

I tried really hard to get us onto google apps, but the gmail interface was literally too much for some people to deal with.

EDIT: and when I say some people, I mean the company at large.

I've managed to "sell" Thunderbird since it can actually find old messages while Outlook crashes.

The problem now is migrating 10 years old POP3 accounts, with lots of nested subfolders, onto IMAP. One has a 21 GB pst file, 127k messages :psyduck:

Char fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Did you see the 100GB one I posted? Our average user is around 15GB :(

Nope. :stonklol:
My migration got stuck 2 more times and it's probably stuck again. And a folder got updated... bad, I dunno, there's a bunch of FOLDER/SUBFOLDER#/SUBSUB## around.
edit: yeah, time to get a beer and hit the office. Quit and restart that crap.