Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I don't think the remote consultant I'm working with understands time zones. He scheduled a phone meeting with a third party, and when I asked if the meeting he could confirm that the meeting time given was for CST (written out fully in the email), he replied, "Yes eastern time". Really wish I knew for sure what time the meeting is set for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

This is extremely petty but in the code I am working on there is this loop that iterates over an array backwards for no apparent reason. It really annoys me for some reason.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

:v: em ot enif skool tI ?thgir edoc eht gnidaer er'uoy erus uoy erA

I'm sure, the loop just enters mostly identical items into a database, but the loop just starts at the end and decrements for no apparent reason.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Something seems to be eating up all my hard drive space on my work computer. 2Gb has been filled up since Monday. It's not the OST file, but I'm not sure what is actually causing it.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I really wish we could stick to our rules about not deploying anything on Fridays or after 2PM. Last week I deployed something (relatively urgent) at around 1:30 PM, mostly because a different group couldn't make one stupid little graphic. This morning, I asked the PM to talk down one of the managers from having me deploy an "urgent" change that wouldn't be needed until April.:psyduck: The cherry on the sundae is that I had to deploy a different type of thing at 4:15 PM today, breaking both of the rules. At least it will actually be needed over the weekend. If I am asked to deploy something next Friday, I think I will scream.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

gently caress the % sign. It is the bane of my existence right now.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm a programmer, and the % sign won't URL decrypt properly. I have also found due to this, my work is not using best practices for preventing XSS attacks. This is the last thing before the original change I was working on can go out. It sucks.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

My desktop has randomly restarted for about a month now. Today was the last straw when it a. failed to come up at all, until cords were switched around and b. shut down twice in 10 minutes. The desktop guy is swapping out the power supply right now, so hopefully it will be fixed.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Firewall changes at work making everything slow. Also weirdly formatted code seeming not touched since 2005.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm a Java programmer, and the sheer amount of badly formatted code is annoying the hell out of me. Some previous programmer at my company hated using import statements so the full path names are in the main code body. Someone also must have had a line break fetish, as there are statements split over six lines pointlessly. I don't need to fix this from a business point of view, but I must mentally.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The new guy at work, not my department, talks really loudly and has an annoying voice. Really tempted to leave a note at his desk letting him know that he should turn it down. The previous guy never stopped talking, and never seemed to listen, but this guy is too loud.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 13, 2019

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

MS Access is awful. It dosn't behave like the rest of Office, and I swear some things are permeantly hidden in the database I'm working with. At least I only have to do simple things with it twice a year.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

gently caress the out of date version of Bootstrap on this subsite. It being out of date has added 20 or so hours to what should have been a simple project. Luckily the subsite will be updated soon.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Who the hell is playing the piano? It's not at a regular time, nor does it sound like a song. So someone is sneaking in to practice. It's weird.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Pissing me off: The long delayed project that I have been waiting on for almost six months from the other programing team seems like they may have reinvented the wheel for this process. I know RPG isn't the most flexible of languages and I've never seen the code itself but I swear most of the process should already exist.

Not pissing me off: For employee appreciation day, they brought in a large amount of fancy confections from the local place.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Our poor network/ desktop guy had to explain the address bar today.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Not pissing me off: received my first "go tit" over IM.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Recurring power issues are plaguing my WFH efforts. I keep getting kicked off, as the whole site goes down.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Every time I launch SQL developer, I will eventually get load library error 87 since starting to work remotely. It can be a few seconds to a few hours, but I can count on one hand how many times I've manually closed the program since I started working remotely.

Not pissing me off, the two major projects I've been working on and deployed are mentioned in a bunch of all staff announcements and press releases.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

We have a website we maintain with one of our subsidiaries. They handle the marketing, and used to handle the site design; my team does the rest. I added a promotion to one of the pages, but the change was being overwritten by another change using JavaScript. It turns out that the subsidiary had added in the JavaScript via Google Optimize. They didn't tell us, when we could have made the change in plain HTML. I'm manually adding it to the page, and the marketing guy who added the snippet sent me a picture rather than the actual code. It's highly styled making this a pain.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

This is why IT should stay the gently caress out of websites. Have marketing figure out what web designers / developers they want to work with and host the site on something you have no control over. I might monitor SSL/TLS cert for expiry and maybe do some basic up/down monitoring, as a professional courtesy, but that's about it.

I am the web designer in this case, making things more annoying that they changed things without going through my team.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Classic ASP is rear end.

Edit: Specifically to work with, I swear it would be possible to port this app to server Java, which is what everything else I work with is.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 29, 2020

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

It was rear end 14 years ago.

That's when this program was written. Comments form 1999. Boss had to reinstall the editor and it warned him that it might break IE 4.0.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Classic ASP is still rear end, but worse is the seemingly black box nature of the project for me. I have an API to call, four test things, three that return the same error, and a rapidly approaching deadline.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Complex project that calls an API, with no good documentation or Dev test cases is going to have to be tested in prod. These tests will be carefully controlled, but still what could go wrong?

Also Classic ASP can gently caress itself, but you know this already.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Built admin to create a certain type of report I had been doing manually and sent the link to the user with the reports they most recently requested. User came back requesting a change on what items to cover. Why didn't you just use the admin?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The documentation for the Zendesk chat widget is kind of poo poo. I would enjoy a more fleshed out version of the examples, instead of disconnected snippets. I'm looking at the source of their page to get a better idea of how to do things.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

lovely API documentation part 2, Facebook Pixel. How am I meant to track a purchase with more than one item? Seriously API documentation writers, demonstrate the api in more than one use case.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Marketing guy: Can you fix this promotion?
Me: You needed to contact us to set things up on our end first. I've set it up on our end.
Marketing guy: Can it be used more than once?
Me: Yes, I can restrict it to only one use per user though. No restrictions on number of users that can use it.
Marketing guy: Great, thanks.

:confused: Do you want me to add the restriction or not?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dayforce, our HR provider, does not seem have a functional user-side password reset.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Why does the power keep going out at our two locations? It's about once a week for the last month or so.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

poo poo not pissing me off: surprise $50 gift card from work. I think everyone got one, but still.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

A part of our system currently depends on a 10.4.11 Mac connecting to a 10.6.2 Mac. A sever update prevents the older Mac from talking to the file sever, so it now uses the newer Mac as a go-between. The older Mac runs some AppleScript, that is apparently dependent on screen resolution, which prevents us from moving the script to the other Mac.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

My Exchange connection has been flipping on and off all day.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Sickening posted:

Did you patch it? I would check for some webshells lmao.

I have no idea. I think we're hosted on Office 365, so I think we're good...? I don't work with Exchange, but it seems to be fixed now.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

gently caress OpenGraph data, Facebook Pixel, and other poo poo in meta tags. It should not be this hard to figure out what the id field needs to named.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

My colleague's change management connection is a bit screwed up and occasionally causes issues like: not showing new versions as available or somehow saying it's committed things but not really!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Got a new work laptop, I hate the keyboard. It has the half-height up and down arrows and full height left and right arrows.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

It's that time of year to say gently caress Java. New computer, and I can't get the Java environment set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

SyNack Sassimov posted:

You mean literally every time of year?

I'm a Java developer (web site back end), Java and I are usually friends.