Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013
Pissing me off: Working for a large manufacturing company that won't give us downtime to fix ongoing issues. They're basically asking us to change the flat tire on a car that's traveling 70 mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

This is a flawless representation. I am sending it to my co-workers.

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

:yotj: I'm the new senior embedded engineer at a company in west Michigan! Since the company is growing at a crazy rate, I will be the one in charge of building the new engineering department from the ground up! In 3 weeks the beer is on me!

Got any openings for a network engineer?

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

mattfl posted:

Well I mean, what did you expect? Everyone in this thread has most likely started at the bottom and worked their way up. I fully believe everyone in IT should do time on help desk to learn some people skills before moving into higher positions.

Can confirm. Did not start at the bottom. Moved into Network Engineering position right out of college and I hate most users.

Starting on the helpdesk wouldn't be so bad. The trick to avoiding it becoming a career is to have a solid plan to move out of it in 1 to 2 years. Either find a way to move up in your own company, or don't be afraid to pull the trigger and move to a new one with better opportunities.

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

Ozz81 posted:

You lucked out either with an area with a good job market, or just really good timing. Took me a few years working IT help desk to make any progress, either because the market was saturated or companies wanted entry level people with like 5+ years experience right from college (laughable) because they were stupid and super picky. I'm at a spot now where I'm in between a field engineer/system engineer, do some traveling but also have been able to brush up on certs, get hands-on with servers and network equipment, and enjoy being able to pass off little stuff to someone below me (e.g. account lockout, password reset, software installs) on a help desk instead of burning time. Made my work life a million times more enjoyable when people trusted my experience and knowledge versus trying to move up or prove myself to some know-nothing team lead or manager that didn't know their rear end from a hole in the wall.

Luck was definitely part of it, I have no illusions about that. I know that my experience with entering the market was not normal. The cliche line "it's all about who you know" is how I got my job. A friend of mine was working at a hospital that was looking for an intern on the Network Engineering team. He recommended me while I was still finishing up my degree in computer networking. Once I was in I worked my butt off, learned as quickly as I could, and got my CCNA. A year later I was given a full time position and 2 years after that I left the company because I felt I couldn't move up any more. Now I'm a lead network engineer at a global pharma company. It's been a pretty wild ride.