Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

dogstile posted:

He went ahead and revised the lunch thing and i'm not sure I can do anything for them simply being an rear end in a top hat about things. Unless there's some law here about being told to do one thing and then getting told (by the same guy) that you're being unprofessional is a thing. Same thing with changing my job role to just answering phones.

Like, they're being pricks and they're making me feel miserable, but i'm not sure there's any laws I can actually use.

While individual incidents are not against any laws if there is a pattern it can be constructive dismissal.

You need to record everything. Open an external email account, ask for everything in writing (this alone should ring alarm bells in competent managers but will go over these clowns heads) and when you get them BCC or forward everything to the gmail/outlook account. If you can show many cases where you have an email to tell you X and then an email that you shouldn't of done X then you have them by the balls. Any sane company would then buy you off with a confidentiality clause (for both sides).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Crowley posted:

Forwarding confidential internal email to an external host? That sounds like a surefire way to get fired.

In America maybe but it’s more complicated in Britain.

As long as you don't have client information in it then the Data Protection Act doesn't come into it (if it’s your personal information you are fine) so that’s the main way they can get you legally.

The other is that the company has an email policy about sending confidential information outside of the company network. Now I very much doubt the clowns have anything written down so they can't use it. Even if they did have a policy then you are entitled via the data protection act to any personal information about you and anything relating to your work performance is very much personal data so you have a legal entitlement to it.

Now I don't expect the law to get in the way if they want to get rid of you but you can get a big chunk of cash from them.

The law in Britain (currently) is that the Employer must prove that they fired you in a legal way so if you can discredit the performance reviews and incidents that they would use to prove the legality of your sacking then they become useless.

Westie posted:

Nothing stopping you from saving an EML now, is there?

That would be the over option as unlike printing out the email it keeps the header information so that it can be proved to come from the company.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

dennyk posted:

One thing to keep in mind: don't know how it's handled in the UK, but in the US, vacation/leave time is neither mandatory nor considered "pay" and an employer can generally deduct it for any reason they want, as long as it doesn't go against their own written policies and isn't applied in such a way as to discriminate against a protected class (race, religion, gender, etc.). If leave time is treated in a similar fashion in the UK, it's possible that it could be perfectly legal for them to deduct vacation time for being late (although once you run out of leave time, they can't start deducting actual pay).

Not in the UK. Every worker is legally entitled to 5.6 weeks of paid time off every year (employers can include bank (statutory) holidays) full stop end of story. The only people who don't get this are the self employed (contractors).

Also holiday pay comes under the general auspice of wages (like commission and bonuses) that cannot have deductions taken from them unless it's a statutory deduction (taxes), overpayment of salary or industrial action without fist being agreed (like in an employes terms and conditions of employment).

poo poo that's pissing me off. Being asked to clear some time to do some UAT testing on changes to the pension calculations on the payroll system, only to find out that it's actual testing and the person who knows what the hell is going on is on holiday until after it goes live.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Earlier I posted about how I hate late hires and how people were pushing HR people to forge sign-on agreements. It's somehow managed to get worse. One of my techs came to tell me that he had been told to go take another departments used laptop to setup for a new hire in admin. When he protested he was reminded that he was speaking to the CEO's admin assistant and that she has gotten people fired before. HOLY poo poo!!! What the hell is wrong with these people? Basically she put in a new hire on Friday afternoon who of course is going to start on Monday and she didnt want a crappy loaner laptop until then and forced this poor guy to go take another departments laptop. I have a meeting with HR today about this and the entire new hire process but I doubt it goes anywhere.

If your department acts like a doormat for long enough people will treat you like a doormat.

The way to change it will be painful and will need the backing of a director level person but it can be done. The way to do it without looking like a jerk is in the HR meeting tell them that you the IT dept are too overstretched to be able to do this any longer and either the SLA's get adhered to or you get another warm body. If they don't like either option tell them that you can do the last minute jobs but the requesting dept will have to foot the cost of not only the equipment, but the cost of getting it to you via overnight express shipping and to pay for a contractor to set it up for them. This will cost $X per case.

After the meeting send an email to the HR people confirming everything you have said in an non-confrontational way and CC as high as you can go.

In a sensible company being able to show the cost in man hours that this causes and how to sort it out will make the IT dept look professional and working in the best interests of the company and the other depts look like idiots.

Same thing we are going through in payroll with late overtime/expenses claims. It is painful to start with telling people their overtime sheet was late so it will get paid next month or returning expenses claims over 3 months old unpaid but it is working and making our lives berable with the amount of staff we have.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

internet jerk posted:

There are some truly awesome highly competent HR people out there. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far.

Tell me about it.

Modern HR is a complex discipline involving multitudes of laws, judgements and best practice to make sure that the organization gets the best out of its people and is covered against legal claims.

The problem is it doesn't require formal qualifications to enter and people still think its the business equivalent of nursing so are not prepared for the grim realty of making sure people don't do anything illegal and that they sack people correctly.

Half the HR people i come into contact with i wouldn't trust to tell the time correctly.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Crowley posted:

In Denmark they go by the name Accidenture. They hosed up the City of Copenhagen's migration to a new (Accenture driven) payroll system so bad it cost them $millions to fix, and in the end they had to roll back several months' of pay for a thousand people that for some reason or other just didn't show up as having been paid or not. Some people got $0 for months while others got quadruple pay. The City had to make emergency bank transfers to cover the affected people and wound up publicly begging all their employees to go over their pay stubs and accounts carefully and transfer any extra pay back voluntarily, because no one knew who got too much.

The company still exist in Denmark, but they haven't gotten any big clients since that stunt, and most of their employees are fresh out of college because anyone with a reputation doesn't want them on their CV. :v:

As someone who works in government payroll how the heel do you not know how much you paid someone?

I can see how having the wrong salary or hours if it gets cocked up but no output files? No record of what was paid? How did this get past testing?

No wonder they are shunned.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Xae posted:

Where I work it takes 6 weeks to get additional disk space added, if you can get Executive Sign off for an emergency order.

12 weeks otherwise.

Plus you have to be willing to pay for it and the PM isn't.

I don't get how people knowingly promise things that are physically impossible to deliver.

Have you heard the story of the horse thief who got cought stealing the kings horse and promised to make it talk?

It's the same thing. The sales guy only cares about making sales targets right now, being able to do it is the future and maybe they can shift the blame on someone else or it might be able to get done.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It's so bad here. Sales has actually tried to force HR employees to forge new hires signatures on hiring agreements so that they can get started on paperwork ahead of everyone else. I would say that %90 of sales new hires have an acceptance day and start day that is the same. It's been brought up and directors meetings and sales management straight up said they wouldnt now or ever give us 2 weeks notice because they make the company money and they need to grow now!

Some one needs to grow a spine and stand up to the sales people or it will turn into Wolf of Wall Street/Enron.

Sales are like frat bros, no doesn't mean no it means try harder.

You need to take a leaf out of their book when it comes to laying down professional standards while making it look like you guys are pulling for the team.

Tell them you are only staffed for a 4 week turnaround until you can get some more warm bodies but being the team player you will pull out the stops, put other projects on hold to get them the 2 week turnaround. If they want it quicker you can do that but you will need to get some temps in that are not in the budget yet so it will cost their department $X per urgent setup. Make it sound like you are doing everything you can with what you have got but you just don't have it. Provide solutions to the issue so it's sales who sound like the assholes.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

dogstile posted:

Really dude?

E: I may be reading that out of context because of the recent rolling stone hoax thing, but if i'm not, I stand by it.

I was using an easy to understand stereotype. I could of said that they are like 8 year olds who push and push until told off then go and push the boundaries another way.

It is in the makeup of the sorts of people who become successful in sales to do this. They will push, cajole and outright lie if they think they can get away with it. Just look at the PPI miss selling. I was in the industry at the time and everyone knew it was a con and you shouldn't miss sell it but at the same time unless you met your quotas of PPI you would be out on your ear. People would take sales calls onto private mobiles so they wouldn't be recorded. My friend works support in a scientific instrument company and the sales guys all the time tell them the customer expects it to do Y because they said it would so it bloody well better do Y by the time it ships.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The CIO had a meeting with the other directors including sales and marketing, it didn't go as well as I would've hoped. He mentioned he would bring up new hire turnaround times and a few other things.

Turns out he will be working remotely for the next month and then he is leaving. He assured us that all of our jobs are safe but there will be some heads rolling in other departments. Looks like the ERP director and and regulatory director will both be going as well as a few other upper IT folks. You may remember my multiple gripes from this thread and others about people in the company wanting the iPad to be the be all end all of sales equipment as well as my months long fight to get windows updates approved. Thing's should get interesting in the next few months. Waiting to hear from my boss to see if he got fired or resigned because he saw the writing on the wall.

All that said looks like he at least got us one new hire possibly a few months down the road so hopefully...

One director level person leaving is just corporate life. Three means one of two things

1. One of them is starting up on their own and bringing trusted people with them
2. The ship is sinking and the first people out get the best severance package.

Dust off your CV, make sure you have some savings and if they start asking for volunteers for redundancy with a decent package "to help us lean down" take it an run.

I was lucky to be offered a good redundancy package just before the big crash and the bank had to be bailed out by the government. The people who left six months after me got half the redundancy.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Merica posted:

Getting told late Friday that five people start the following Monday and need accounts laptops etc.

Also getting tired of "is computer for x person ready?"

Me:I don't even have a request fir that

Oh I just sent it. They start tomorrow

You need them first thing Monday? Well our SLA is five working days but if it is truley and emergancy we will have to have priority saturday shipping, someone will need to be onsite all day to accept the delivery and then build the machines. Late notice saturday work is double time as its the only way to get somone to work it.

So thats going to be around $200 for the shipping plus $300 for the overtime. Please supply me with your cost centre and sign off for the cost centre manager and I can get on this.

Or I think I might be able to get them to you sometime around Thursday.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
poo poo not pissing me off - getting a new HP Ultrabook to replace the six year old bargin basement Dell desktop.

poo poo pissing me off - Having to click though multiple option screens before i can use Office or other products. They are deploying over a thousand of the lapops so why the hell do I have to spend an hour clicking on stupid options that should be configured on the image.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I hate salespeople.

I've fielded no less than five really loving weird requests from one in particular. He seems to think that our requirements and list of supported applications are, like, a guideline. So he'll lie out his rear end about these things, and then when it doesn't work as expected, dump it on our support guys.

Today we had a meeting because we're gonna be refunding a huge sale because our stuff doesn't meet their requirements. This fucker is all like "is there anything we can do?"

Look, dude. I loving told you it wouldn't work. Repeatedly. You had me on the phone for hour, and I explained, in detail, all the things that would break. I followed up, by email, reinforcing that conversation. I have evidence that, even after all that, you told the customer it would work.

Now those things are broken, exactly as you were told they were break. The customer is pissed, because you lied. No, our support cannot fix this. These things are flat-out not supported. At all. Period! End of goddamned story.

You say this will reflect poorly on you if we refund it? You should have thought about that before you sold it. I don't give a flying gently caress about your numbers. You dug this grave. Now lie in it!

Make sure you have all this documented and that your boss and the director has this to hand. The sales guy will try and throw you under the bus for this to protect his bonus and maybe even job and the sales manager/director will have to back the sales guy to protect his own bonus. If the sales guy has more than happy to lie to your customers for money and he is allowed to lie to customers by the sales manager/director then he will not think twice about lying to protect himself and the sales manager/director will back him as it will look bad on him.

If the blame game doesn't work for the sales people they will try to make it look like it's both your teams fault so they only have to carry half the blame. This is what politicians call "a pox on both your houses" and is about making you look just as bad as they are.

The only way to cut through the crap is for your manager/director to hammer home that it's sales fault time and again when the blame storming starts.

I may be wrong but having worked next to sales they are like spoiled 10 year olds.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I don't know how I'd get my hiring done if the HR department wasn't parsing their resume for me and telling me who I should hire based on their (0) years of experience in IT. - Signed, an American.

A good HR dept should be filtering out the rubbish applicants (people who don't actually meet the job pre-reqs) and give the hiring manager the good ones. Then they should give a good framework for conducting the interview and maybe even sit in on it to make sure that the interviewer isn't doing something bad or illegal (and be able to answer non-technical job related questions if needed).

I have said before HR is a difficult role that needs a deep understanding of employment law and best practice for running an efficient work place. Good HR are like good project managers. Worth their weight in gold.

The problem is the people who often gravitate to it are people who see it as the business equivalent of old fashioned nursing (holding hands and being nice) or its a dumping ground for the people no one else wants.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Lets share our favorite stories of marketing/sales assholes. My favorite: Some douchebag sales guy went out and bought a hooker for a client and expensed, my company gladly reimbursed this business expense until the sales guys wife called up questioning what the charge was on their statement. This then led to a whole series of revelations including the fact that accounting had been covering up this poo poo for a while and hiding it from the federally mandated disclosure forms. The sales guy was not fired, he brings in money. The head of accounting who knew about this and fully supported this was not fired, he is an integral part of the companies leadership. Instead the poor payroll person at the bottom of the totem pole was fired for following her orders on charges that she might have not even know what were for. gently caress marketing/sales.

When I worked in a international UK bank the head of the corporate relations for sales of the part i worked in wined and dined his clients at a strip club and put it on the business credit card. When he submitted the expenses claim to justify the expense (non-expensesd lines would get automatically taken out of your pay) the person inputted it recognised the name of the club and told their manager, who told the head of finance of the division, who told the director of the division. She spent over an hour yelling at the sales guy and told him in no uncertain terms that that was not kosha. he was to eat the bill himself and got an official written warning for conduct (that is one more gently caress up and your sacked under UK employment law). So of course he just paid for the dinner instead and the clients paid for the strip club.

He later got the "Do you want to resign or be sacked?" for trying to expense a set of golf clubs for all the golf days he had to go on.

Don't feel sorry for him as he was a real oval office and used his dead mothers blue badge until it expired.

Siochain posted:

This x 10000000. gently caress Macs. Yes, they're fine, but gently caress Macs. gently caress the people that BUY Macs and insist they are "better" for nebulous reasons. gently caress the people who bought a $200 walmart special PC and then upgrade to a $3k mac and go "OH BUT THE MAC IS SO MUCH FASTER". Well the gently caress you say? Of course a goddamn loving Corvette (insert random domestic performance car here) is faster then your dads old beat to poo poo Yugo.

OSX is easier to use in a home setting than Windows is although Windows 10 is getting very close. For work your job says you need to be able to use a Windows computer so learn to use a loving Windows computer. If part of your job was to use a forklift then you should know how to use a forklift and not just shrug your shoulders and say forklifts are magic and I don't know about them.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Let me guess, you think the Wolf of Wall Street was sexed up.

You do not want to see a Venn diagram of very good sales people and people who meet most of the clinical markers for sociopaths

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
I don't know what US tax laws are like but in the UK reimbursing expenses is tax free but a flat rate could be considered a taxable benefit and need to have income tax on it.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
India did a great job of loosing this game.

So West Indies vs England.

How it should be

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
poo poo pissing me off

Having to constantly switch out CD's from drives because the specialist software we use checks the CD is in the drive as a form of copy protection.

Is there any way to automatically mount ISO's automatically on start up in windows 7 and 10?

I know 10 can mount them with a right click but I need it to be more transparent to the users

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Super Slash posted:

You could use WinCDEmu to mount the ISO and keep the drive after a restart; http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/tutorials/persist/

I kinda prefer using that to Daemon tools.

I know its from a couple of pages back but this really helped. Who in this day and age uses the physical CD as copy protection.

My manager thinks this is witch craft in a good way

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I love the "we have that start up mentality" pitch when you interview. "oh, so you mean that you are constantly on fire and nothing is planned out and we all to die but there's a foosball table?" Great!

Its amazing how "we have a start up culture" means "you will work yourself to a heart attack in your 30's" and not "when we IPO you can retire a millionaire when we all cash in".

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
poo poo pissing me off

1. Excel "helping" me by auto formatting what it thinks is a date as a date with no loving way to tell it not to. If it was a loving date it would already be in the format dd/mm/yyyy.

2. LOOKUPs only working for small values to large values. If the column is large values to small ones it just won't work.

loving price of poo poo programmed by cockwombles.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Index and match has got me far but I am now looking looking at having to rewrite the data format.

I currently need to look for the correct column, look down the column for number then look across that row for the value in the first column. Can this actually be done without vbs?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

dogstile posted:

No phones allowed in meeting rooms. She also made the decision not to have some form of Dictaphone in meetings, preferring to go with the bring in another person and just have them try to keep up with the conversation.

Did you know it's perfectly legal in England to secretly record any meeting you are present in as long as you don't record periods when you are not in the room.

Yes this stood up in court as a company tried to get a recording of a disciplinary meeting thrown out during a wrongful dismissal case.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Peachfart posted:

I'd say a better response would be 'Due to the late notice, this request will take a few days to complete. Please notify us earlier next time.'
Passive-aggressiveness at work rarely goes well.

No no no, passive aggressiveness doesn't work, it shows how your dept is not a team player and is not enabling the money makers to make money.

What you need to say first thing Monday is to apologise for the late response but the helpdesk only runs 8-5 Monday to Friday and that you would be glad to support the managers business plan to turn the help desk 24/7 with the increase in headcount and budget. As it stands this will have to be a rush job so the equipment will need to be same day delivery (with the increased cost) and as the working time for Monday and Tuesday is currently fully allocated this will have to be done as overtime and as it will be a couple of hours evening refeshments will also have to be supplied. Please authorise this additional expenditure and supply your cost center so you can get on this asap. Please bear in mind that some day has to be ordered before noon. In future could you give us the 5 days notice as is SLA so this additional expenditure won't need to be incurred.

In all seriousness by saying no you look like the bad person to these sociopaths who run things. By giving them the only practical solution you turn the tables on them to say yes or no.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Hedgefunds in my admittedly limited experience seem to grok the time vs money issue - I have a former coworker who is now at a hedgefund, and they don't gently caress around with bad technology or spending time trying to make lovely solutions work. Desktop/laptop got malware or infected? Instant flatten, gently caress you if you had saved any files on it. Do it again? Written up. Third time? Fired. (When he said that I almost fell over, imagine such an amazing environment). Fully SCCM'd, everything done according to "what's the best solution that will make our workers the most efficient", not "what's the cheapest". Sounds pretty drat great frankly and how a company should be run.

I assume a lot of places aren't like that, but the ones that are sound loving great.

Yep, hedge funds live by "time is money".

I knew some one who used to do desktop support for a hedge fund in London and they had the same experience. They paid for a 3 hour resolution SLA for desktop tickets. If the problems wasn't fixed in 3 hours there was hell to pay. It meant they had a pile of imaged desktops, mice, keyboards, monitors and cables ready to be switched if the problem couldn't be sorted with just making sure the cables were plugged in OK.

Was high pressure though because they didn't care if some fuckwit doused 15 machines in fire extinguisher foam as a joke, you had 3 hours to get the desktops up and running. Weekend upgrade hosed every machine on the floor? They better work by 8am Monday morning and if that means you spend 24 hours straight fixing every desktop then congratulations on the overtime and get to loving work. .

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Sefal posted:

Yeah. I wish the 6 figures salary wasn't USA exclusive.

But paying staggering amounts for health insurance is though, thankfully

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
I'm surprised more schools don't have cctv in classrooms.

"Little Johnny wasn't the disruptive pupil" Here is a video of him throwing a chair

"The teacher groped me" Here is the video of you never being in the room

"A computer has been stolen" Oh look its Teacher X who has a gambling problem

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
gently caress kyocera printers. In the space of two years we have lost two colour lasers. One was a refurbed replacement for the first. For the amount we paid it should of lasted longer before it gave out.

Now I have to find a decent replacement.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

MailChimp would probably have something to say about that, their deliverability metrics are a big deal, and adding people who don't opt-in hurts them.

Also if any of these people are in Europe then the GDPR as well.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Things that are mystifying me: The network cabling in our new building we will be moving into soon.

Three story building with a small footprint, jack points in the two open plan floors with ducting all around the room. The middle floor with offices and the toilets has the cabling go around the outside of the building with plenty of jack points. So far so OK, looks like a normal retrofit for an 80's built office and we won't have to do much infrastructure, just throw in a switch.

Odd - all the cables on each floor go out a hole in the wall, even on the ground floor into the same plastic, interior ducting on the side of the building.

WTF - None of the cables come back into the building and it isn't external rated CAT5e.

I can't check because they are in a courtyard that we can't access yet because the windows have bars on them and no other way into it yet (we will be putting a door in from the ground floor). I suspect this building was used by the business next door as overflow before being left empty then sold off so the cables go into their building. Are they connected still to a network? Haven't plugged in yet to find out.

Also it has a phone network with some kind of PBX but gently caress that noise, rip it all out and start from scratch if we need more than the phone in reception.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

klosterdev posted:

Are non-American hospitals this bad, or is it 100% the corporatist poisoning of valuing human lives brought on by for-profit-medicine

Hospitals in the UK are not that bad but they have their own set of issues.

Mostly around lovely management and not enough money/warm bodies to do the work the government wants them to do but staff are not seen as disposable. Oh, and now with added we can't recruit enough nurses because a massive chunk of them might not have the legal right to work in the UK after the 31st of December because the government is being run by toddlers who couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

I have no letter in the PC and I must print

I have no letter but I must print A4

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
The lifespan of laboratory equipment can be twenty or thirty years, maybe even longer as the good stuff often gets hand-me-down to less well funded departments/teaching spaces. The software that run this equipment is often a POS and will only work with the machine it was coded for, newer versions of the software that can run on modern computers will often deliberately not work with the older machines.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

sixth and maimed posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Teams message from Admin lead at 9 PM this morning "Good morning, we've got an intern starting and she can't access her mail. Yeah, sorry, forgot to tell you."

As per SLAs there account will be created within 3-5 working days. If you need it quicker then it will be overtime on our part, what is your cost center so we can charge the OT to your budget?

When people have to pay for their oversights it all becomes more efficient (for most).

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Whipstickagostop posted:

Got the phonecall on Friday from one of the Directors that they want to start bringing me back to the office.
They did this last year, but to be honest I was quite suprised as cases are spiking again in the UK, and they know I haven't had my second vaccine as all signs are pointing to the first one being responsible for my current health issues.
Explained to him that I am more at risk now then I was last year - my specialist has told me I am lucky I haven't already had a blood clot/stroke/heart attack.
Explained to him that I have barely left the house since I got my first dose as it has made my type 1 diabetes extremely hard to control.
Explained to him that I keep having to isolate from my partner and her children as they get sick, and last time I caught a cold off them I ended up in hospital on a heart monitor as I collapsed in the bathroom with chest pains and severe dehydration.
His response was "Yeah but theres a few things we need your help with around the office". We ended the call with him saying not to worry about it, he will speak to the other Director and they will conference call me in the week.

Ended up sending an email to them both that evening as I was stressing so much. Basically just wrote down the points above, and mentioned that there has never been an issue I havent been able to fix remotely.

Haven't heard anything back about it, but I fully expect them to just ignore me and keep saying they want me back in without giving a proper reason.

I've said to my doctor I am good to work while at home and don't need to be signed off on sick leave, but I can see that changing, and me using that time to look for a new job that will let me work remotely.

You might want to preemptively talk to ACAS to get some talking points about The Equality Act 2010 the next time it comes up.

If they really want to force you to come in then laying the ground work now for your constructive dismissal case will help. Or they may not realize they are being quite so dickish about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Whipstickagostop posted:

Finally got a response from the Director. A week later. Sent to me when I had the day off to travel to the next county for a medical appointment as the NHS is so backlogged at the moment I couldn't get seen at my local hospital for 2 months.

Started by saying they understood my health issues, and then pretty much ignored what I said about the issues I was having.

The reason he put in writing as to why he wants me back? "other staff have been covering your work while you have been at home".

What. The. Actual. gently caress.

I am the sole IT employee for the company. I have never asked anyone to do any of my work for me, nor can anyone else in the company do my work for me.

To make things worse, I am quite often asked (and quite often offer) to do bits and pieces for other departments if they are short staffed and I am not working on anything urgent.

I sent an email back explaining this and asking for examples of what other staff have done that he feels I should be doing. I expect it is either going to be something stupid like "user replaced their own keyboard", or "user phoned up the copier supplier and booked a service".

Spoke to another manager that I am friends with outside of work. He had no idea what the Director was talking about either - they just have to email or call me now instead of walking down to my office.

Yeh, they want you back in the office because they are dicks and don't give a poo poo about your health or the law.

If you are part of a union have a chat with them now. If not ACAS or even an employment law solicitor.

Your days are probably numbered already, now it is about gathering the evidence to get a nice payout for disability discrimination. You did well with asking what people had to do because you were in the office. It will be worth keeping your own copies of everything as well and keep up with pressing them for details and examples.