Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
it bothers me when people do stupid command line poo poo

code:
cat file | grep words
ps aux | grep -v grep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

theperminator posted:

The first one at least does something, did you ask what they're thinking with the second?

for some reason when idiots grep ps they feel the need to grep out the grep process

:confused:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
i hate having to use windows at work. i'm a linux sysadmin for god's sake, let me run linux. putty sessions are nice and all but at the end of the day i want are shell aliases to connect to wherever i need to be :smith:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

From the windows admin side, I am definitely all for you having a linux system if that is what you want. Saying that, for some reason there is sometimes problems with letting you go with a linux OS.

1. Linux users that need support with their linux systems. My desktop folks aren't probably going to be a good resource to help you with these issues. You are basically your own system support person. The moment you run into issues you can't handle you need to go back to the systems where we can handle the problems.

2. Sometimes corporate requires x software to be on every system, even when it doesn't make sense.

3. Your machine doesn't get group policy so the standardized security configurations aren't something your machine is going to get. That means that access is going to have to be custom. Someone else is always going to need access to your machine for security reasons. How much of a pain in the rear end is that going to be?

I have made it work before, but it has also been a pain in my rear end before.

i can definitely support my own system thankfully, but we do have poo poo like outlook and ibm security software that i just want to :frogout: so that i can do my job more efficiently

also, opening ssh with pubkeys to select ip addresses within the company network would work well to allow any necessary access but minimize risk

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

When I say "we need to discuss your IT strategy" it's not because I really enjoy talking about planning for growth, it's because I believe that a lack of a common software load, no central management of AV, no encryption or backup of laptops, a bunch of different SaaS subscriptions with no common user directory and "let's buy infrastructure from eBay" is not appropriate for a company approaching 20 full time employees and £2m revenue. But if you want to make excuses about being busy for another two years then that's fine. Just don't ever present an issue that would have been covered by such a plan as urgent ever again.

lol my old company used to buy routers and switches off ebay and then do the same fuckin thing when they ended up being lovely or broken

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
my main gripe: embedded vendors ruining grsecurity for literally everyone else

tl;dr: embedded vendors releasing "grsecurity" patchsets for kernel versions that were never supported and refusing to stop doing so when asked. now the rest of us can only get the testing patchsets unless we donate $300/month (i think) to be a sponsor.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lightning Jim posted:

I've been working on a ticket with someone for a while and all's been fine, but when I ask more questions just to understand some of the errors I'm seeing, suddenly they get snippy. I'm honestly trying to help you with your issues that occur every few months. If you don't want to do the needed work on the issue, then why did you ask me to help?

I mean, the email I got was very condescending for no reason (no poo poo your stuff's in a data center, but I wasn't asking about that). And refusing to run updates that they haven't touched in 3 years, but at the same time tell me you always do your updates. The update are relevant to your issue.

EDIT: Talked with the customer again, glad it was just irritation sent over email. Main issue with doing anything on the server is the fact that system having the issue can never be downed due to what services it runs. So a mission critical appliance without any form of redundancy that's having intermittent issues...

lol i've had customers do this before

they build out something that needs maximum uptime but either don't listen to us or refuse to spring for the extra cost of clustering/HA/etc, and when their poo poo gets hosed it's like "told you so"

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
things that piss me off: forgetting to use sudo
things that make me happy: https://github.com/nvbn/thefuck

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

All that terminal ricing and completely pointless colorization
Arch
Install instructions like :barf:

but this is the same distro and Xdefaults i've been using since like 2006 :pwn:

also if you use zsh/ohmyzsh you can literally just

code:
pip install thefuck
and add thefuck to your plugins in .zshrc

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 24, 2015

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

Doesn't make it less riced.

You can also run a complete mess of totally unknown bullshit just to get a riced PS1! Totally worth it!

But zsh isn't on servers by default anyway.

I'm reasonably sure that pip will install it in the path.

I mean, I think it's clever and all. I just don't carry around a bunch of crap that isn't on base installs as part of my regular workflow.

if terminal ricing is using a prompt and colorscheme that i like and works well for me then call me a goddamn ricer i guess

also, we include zsh as part of our default kickstart images for people who work on the cli and prefer it, it's small and useful enough to justify

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

My big complaint with "everything is colored!" is that it desensitizes people to poo poo that's supposed to be colored (like error messages from a lot of utilities). I don't know if that's aura or not, but there's very little white text in that screenshot.

Color schemes and prompts are one thing (except for ohmyzsh, which should have the repo updated to automatically remove it from every install, because your shell isn't emacs, and you just don't need a framework of includes for daily usage), but I have to wonder every time I see people running around with a prompt that shows git status, exit code for the last command, the current date, number of files in the current directory, some poo poo on the right, and a screen powerline. How much of that information do you need all the time? How much of it can you get with one small command when you actually need it?

But do you include ohmyzsh? Or other random ~/.[z]profile stuff?

I may have spent too long as an admin in a restricted industry where getting approval for zsh would have taken months for a marginal improvement over bash-completion. But even at my current job, I end up logging into a whole ton of servers that I don't control and don't have zsh (or I use infrequently), and I can't be hosed pulling my .vimrc or .emacs or anything, because I may not log into it for months, and the defaults are good enough. Then I just got used to the defaults, and I get a consistent experience everywhere I go, and I don't miss the other poo poo I thought I "needed" at all.

why do you insist on assuming i pull down my custom poo poo on servers? i use a very simple zshrc with some basic aliases on boxes i log into regularly:

code:
alias ll='ls -lah --color=auto'
alias c='clear'
alias ..='cd ..'
alias ...='cd ../..'
poo poo like that. my personal servers are, surprise surprise, more personalized, as is my laptop. i don't pull my vimrc, zshrc, or anything else onto boxes i don't own, but the stuff i use on my laptop helps with productivity when i'm working on my own boxes or doing something not work-related.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
i don't use a laptop for work, my workstation has 8gb

:(

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

well gently caress you learn something new every day

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
not really technical but my coworker clips his fingernails at his desk like two times a week

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
yes, weblogic is starting up. no, i can't make it go faster. it will be done when it's done. this is not production so no, customers are not affected.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
:downs: "hey, we need you to do something in our new mock datacenter environment"
:shittydog: "alright, sounds good! i'll need git, ruby, rvm, bundler, node.js and capistrano installed"
:downs: "we'll get right on that"

*weeks pass*

:downs: "hey, can you do that thing in MDC?"
:shittydog: "sure, let me get logged in"

*nothing i asked for is installed*

:shittydog: "uhhh, hey guys, none of the stuff i asked for last month is installed."
:downs: "oh, well uh *bunch of bickering and excuses*"

i asked for the burn-in to be done a month ago. nobody did it but decided that continuing to bother me was a good idea.

i hate this place sometimes.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
thinking of telling my manager tomorrow during our one on one that i don't feel that what he has me doing right now (standing up new environment and deploying to it, it's taking way longer than necessary because nobody can agree on who owns which tasks, but since it's priority i can't really do anything else) is at all a good use of my skillset and is bumming me out pretty badly to the point that i feel unmotivated

good idea/bad idea?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Better to do it now than when it starts showing in your work quality. Its why I'm finally quitting mine today before the tedium drives me insane. I have transcribed all the sales orders I can, I can transcribe no more :yotj:.

i don't wanna quit because i love the company, it's just that they put me in a very lovely position on a very boring and tedious project without consulting me first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
so, i bought it up with my manager, and he seemed receptive to me taking on another role. recommended that i talk to the head of our security team to see if he's interested in having me onboard