Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Is this a good place to bitch about vendors? I am sure every sysadmin is familiar with the vendor who points at your infrastructure over and over for their poorly performing application. I am dealing with one who even went so far as to email a senior vice president (banking, so not really that high up) about our lovely server performance. In their email, they gave some screenshots of some sql queries. I change one line in their examples, and lo and behold their minute+ queries execute in <1 second with the same result.

I loving hate these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
how about this. So I'm running setup.exe /prepareschema /iacceptmicrosoftserverlicenseagreement on my schema master. As soon as I start it, it pops a box asking for admin rights, which I grant. This pops a second command prompt for about .25 seconds which then goes away. I spent two hours trying to figure out why it fails, because I can't find a log. Finally I get smart and launch a command prompt as admin and then run the same command inside of that. When you do that, instead of launching a separate window when you launch it it runs in the already existing command prompt, where I learn I need some Microsoft management tool. It even provides a download link.

WHY THE gently caress COULDN'T YOU HAVE INCLUDED A PAUSE AFTER EXECUTION YOU MOTHERFUCKERS? I spent way too much time loving around on this.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

nzspambot posted:

When in doubt, run as admin

I tend to run anything "serious" as run-as-admin
I did run as admin. Only after launching from a command prompt that had been launched as admin did I get the feedback.