Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Last Thursday I was in an all-day meeting at an off-site location. During a break I noticed I had four missed calls from one journalist, but no emails from him. Stupidly I think it may be important and give him a call.

:) I noticed you'ce called me a lot. What's up?
:saddowns: I left my son's MacBook with you a week ago. Did you fix it yet?
:) Nope. I told you I'd take a look at it if I got the time.
:saddowns: Well he's back in school now, and he need his computer!
:) As I said: Work comes first.
:saddowns: So you've had it for a week and it's still not ready!?
:) That's correct.
:saddowns: FINE! I'll just take it to a shop then.
:) Help yourself. It's on top of the cabinet right behind my desk. Right where you left it. Don't forget the charger.
and then he hung up.

Obviously it was the same guy who got pissy about the fact that we didn't give people the 64 GB iPhone 5 when it came out, but only the 16 GB version. He even got miffed enough that he took the issue to my boss, who promptly shut him down with the same message that I gave him: You're welcome to buy your own if you don't want the one we're going to give you.

Inspector_71 posted:

At least with family support you can sigh heavily and go "No. Are you being serious right now?"

I do that at work. :confused:

Crowley fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

What are the actual advantages?

It's great if you love SkyDrive.

Apart from that? meh

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I imagine buying the 2013 licenses made more sense than continuing to install software two versions behind.

Office 2013 licenses gives you the right to use older versions too.. or is that just people on a Select Agreement?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Volmarias posted:

This can be a huge negative if every day starts with a turd sandwich you can never improve upon.

Nah, after a few weeks you learn to tune it out and just shrug and move on.

Don't ask how I know.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

skipdogg posted:

You're a good guy but you really have got to work on your empathy skills. They usually get better as you get older, but you have a glaring inability to put yourself in other peoples shoes and consider all angles of an issue.

Oh come on! If they ask to learn UNIX they drat well better be prepared to pick up a CLI.

..apart from that. I'll turn 40 next year, and learning new stuff takes more and more effort - both because family takes a lot of time, and because.. "Ugh.." *turns on Netflix*

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Humphreys posted:

The AC side of the charger was plugged into the wall, the DC side was plugged into the laptop, but the cloverleaf end wasn't plugged into the AC to DC brick

They're called cloverleaf? Over here it's called a Mickey Mouse plug.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Caged posted:

I've always called that a figure-8

"Typewriter" over here.

Addendum: If you snip the plastic between the leads that plug will double as an emergency Mickey-Mouse plug

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Ahh, Happy Hardcore. 90s flooding back.

quite.

I dug out my little collection of MOD, XM and S3M files last night and had a blast with more-or-less well made tracks from yestermillenium. :3:

Edit: Assembly '93 Aww yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFv7mHTf0nA

Crowley fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 22, 2013

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

:clint: - You're always overloading the bin (as in trash) with chip papers (as in the wrapping on British fish&chips) and Starbucks cups!

Aaand now I have a craving for British fish & chips with vinegar. :mad:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

I truly feel sorry for support people during this Bring your own device craze.

Eh, it's not too bad.

If we provide it: I'll support it.
If you BYOB: Here's the connection info. Good luck.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

I'm not sure what they'll do when this thing finally dies, maybe they just won't give me another phone.

I guess you just won't have a work-phone then. :toot:

Lum posted:

Well I kind of figured you'd make them do non work poo poo outside of the VM under whatever OS the machine comes with.

Probably be easier to force them to use Citrix, thinking about it.
VDI, baby. VDI.

VDI is seriously the answer to BYOB. Just remember to set up a connection-tester on your website for when people call in and complain that "it doesn't work". Get them to run the connection tester, and if that shows a green light it's a problem on their end.

We support personal devices on three conditions.
1) If we have the time. Drop off your device, and if we have the time we'll take a look at it. If we don't you're boned.
2) We don't guarantee that we will or can fix it! We might take a look at it and go "Looks like the display-cable, or maybe the display itself. That's all I can say with the time I have."
3) You'll pay us with cake, or we'll never ever have the time to take a look at any of your crap again. Cake or GTFO! Home made cookies, 10-cent donuts from 7-11, whatever you picked up from the bakery on the way to work. We don't care, just feed us appropriately to the issue (little thing, small cake, large thing, big cake)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
The really odd thing is, that with VDI everyone could BYOD all day and still work in a secure environment while the world (aka their privately owned machine) is burning to ashes.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Helushune posted:

There's a couple other factors, such as an admin account logging on to the server at 7:19am when none of the IT staff was on campus yet, but this screams malicious intent to me.

Oh dear. Time to start documenting EVERYTHING you encounter, get the boss in on it too so he doesn't think you're the idiot who can't handle a simple accidental deletion.

Oh, and change all your "extra-rights" passwords, from backup accounts to test accounts to admins. (You've already done this, I assume, but it still bears mentioning)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

psydude posted:

It's me. I'm the guy that plugs the wireless router into the network. Except I know how to hide it.

Except you left the DHCP server on, and now half your subnet is getting the wrong addresses.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Confirming that liver function of PBX admins is on par with sysadmins.

So.. how about those guys who are both PBX and sysadmin?

:cry:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

The people I have seen who were really good PBX engineers and knew the back end OS stuff were either Linux Zen Masters or right wing gun nuts. I don't think they drank that much. If they got stressed they just shot something or reinstalled Slackware.

Middle ground. I'm no Zen Master but I know my way around Linux, and I'm not right wing but I do like shooting.

Instead of reinstalling Slackware (ew!) I go boxing. going a few rounds against my old boss works wonders. (I'm stronger, he's faster. I wait for openings, he's aggressive. It's a great match.)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

pfff. All the cool Linux guys moved to gentoo a long time ago. Slackware stopped being my goto distro several years ago. :v:

Was Slackware ever good?

(and not even the raving fanatics I keep for friends use Gentoo)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evol262 posted:

Gentoo has been behind the times for years. Chef is still masked. RUBY_TARGETS constantly breaks portage. Use slack. Gentoo lost it when they stopped recommending stage1

Neerrrrddd

Oh, wait.. :(

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I started with Slackware in the early 90s. And I used it up until a few years ago. It works fine. I just like having a package manager these days.

I bought a 600-page Slackware book (with CD! OMG!) around '95 and tried to get into it. Nowadays I'm partial to SUSE. :shobon:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

DagPenge posted:

Any tips on how to quickly mastering this OS? Most of what I do involves web interfaces, putty, remote desktop, reading txt and word files with documentation and C5 which is a windows only economy system.

CMD + Space Gives you search (spotlight) that is actually better than Windows Start.

Edit: If you're used to TAB between fields (like any experienced Windows user) you'll want to enable "Full Keyboard Access".

Crowley fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 11, 2013

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Carpet posted:

Well son, you obviously don't know computers if you can't use DIP switches to manually set IRQs, like in the good old days

Jumpers. You set IRQs with jumpers.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

AdLib for life... :unsmith:

I built a Covox Speech Thing and used that until I 8-bit Sound Galaxy cards turned up. (Couldn't/wouldn't afford a Sound Blaster)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

It was - IMO, more than young enough that it was really my parents paying - worth getting a legit Creative Labs card just for the hours of entertainment that Dr Sbaitso provided.

I thought sound cards was for chumps. Games worked fine without it and I just didn't see why I should dole out $10 for a Covox.

Then one of my friends called me frantically and told me I had to come over NOW. When I got there he put me right in front of his computer, closed the curtains, turned up his (awesome) stereo, and put on Dune II. The intro blew me away, and I just had to swing by the local electronics pusher and buy the components for a Covox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbe7DWi4xHw

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Because manufacturing plants in the middle of nowhere still have that one guard shack where all the trucks making night deliveries have to stop that has a rotary phone. They are too cheap to replace it, but if Jimmy the night guard can't call 911 when his coronary arteries finally congeal, then it could AFFECT PRODUCTION.

I support Avaya stuff and I had to look up if the newest stuff supports pulse dialing. It does.

Over here in Euroland I think the operators stopped supporting pulse dialing around 2005.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah, but PBX's are a whole different thing. With the newest equipment, your rotary phone connects to a card in a cabinet (or gateway) that converts everything to voip anyway. Analog is not going anywhere anytime soon (thanks modems and faxes!) and it is pretty simple to have the analog cards support pulse.

Please do not ask me about Modem or Fax Over IP, although FOIP is pretty much the sound I make when I get a Fax ticket.

I must be sheltered then. Even in pig farms I've only seen tone dialing equipment since the turn of the millennium.

(Temperature control alarm, so the piggies don't freeze to death during winter if the furnace cuts out)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Do you happen to own a pig farm?

I used to work at a trade school who - amongst other things - trained farmers.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

I'd call you an inbred hick for not quoting Machiavelli, but you did post The Prince, so... :shobon:

("It is best to be both feared and loved. However, if one cannot be both it is better to be feared than loved.")

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Caged posted:

A host based printer on a network.

I feel so sorry for you now.

The 1022n is actually a network printer.

..barely.

(still wouldn't touch it)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Smoke posted:

This after we've worked hard to teach people to not send screenshots in BMP format.

Are you using XP? Even MSPaint doesn't save as BMP as standard nowadays.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

guppy posted:

I have mellowed on this front regarding friends and family, since my friends and family aren't dicks who waste my time or abuse it. I am still very irritated with people at work who think nothing of asking me for free home support. (I don't do it, as a rule.) I don't even like some of these people, we aren't friends.

I've been getting messages about helping people with their computers on the "parents' intranet" for the school our kids attend. As if that wasn't enough the person who wrote me stopped my wife in the local supermarket and asked her to remind me to reply. I tried to politely ignore you, you twat.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

door.jar posted:

Found a consumer grade 4 disk ReadyNAS just hanging out in our network closet today.

My boss was so lazy we couldn't get the expected emergency upgrade to our backup solution in place before the next fiscal year, so now It's been scrapped while we wait for the "real" solution instead.

..so now I've ordered Yet Another Consumer Grade NAS - a 24 TB Buffalo SomethingOrOther - to tide us over. :sigh:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
We have multiple server rooms, separate (physical) networks for production and office IT, and we still just name the servers by function. After the initial installation it doesn't matter where the server's physically located, and if you really do need to stuff a USB in it's port you can read the documentation for the server. The only thing we're actually strict about is to prefix experimental servers with our initials (and stick them in the test environment, but that's given).

Yeah, we have Exchange, Exchange2, Exchange35, DC1, DC-1, BackupDC, and so on. I hated it when I started, but I've learned that it doesn't matter at all as long as your documentation is up to par, and the environment is frequently cleaned and kept tidy.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

underlig posted:

Keyboards with function keys hidden behind feature keys.

Lenovo does this too now - at least for the E-series. :sigh:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Helushune posted:

Maybe I should stop working for a non-profit. We get a pat on the back and a "See you next year!".

Same here. No bonuses or gifts either, and any personal gift from a vendor must be reported to salaries for taxation (requirement by law).

Luckily the vendors sends their gifts to the department, so right now we're drowning in cake, candies, wine and booze. :haw:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I've worked for two groups of doctors and both do/did 1 week's pay for the Christmas bonus. I wish you guys got the same. :(

eh, I'm not complaining (much). I know how nice us Scandinavians have it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Merry Christmas fellow chumps.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

If you put locktite anywhere near a vga plug I will personally murder you.

Especially when it's so much easier to just tighten the screws with a small pair of pliers. I think we all know how difficult is it to unscrew a VGA plug when it's tightened down firmly.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

nitrogen posted:

I've tried four times to get a SATA Ultrabay caddy for an extra hard drive for my Lenovo T430.

Extra fake internet points if you can recommend a 2nd battery that fits in the ultrabay, also. One that REALLY fits, not "sorta" fits. My attempts to find a SATA caddy have made me recalcitrant to find a 2nd battery.

Lenovo sez this fits: 0A65623
..if your Thinkpad is one of the following: ThinkPad T420; T420i; T430; T430i; T520; T520i; T530; T530i; W520; W530

As for the battery: 0A36310
..if your Thinkpad is a T430s

If you can post the entire P/N I can ask our Lenovo rep for a written HCL. For now I'm just going by their guide.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

nitrogen posted:

See, I bought that and it didnt fit. It doesn't have the little cutout on the bottom right.

My T430 (no S) is a 2342CTO. The part number of the DVD R/W drive that fits perfectly is 45N7666

Oooookay that's a bit odd.

I'll mail my rep tomorrow, but I think he's on vacation until the 6th, so it may be a little while until he replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

nitrogen posted:

You know, that could be. Considering I got it via an amazon seller, and the package I got doesn't have that part number on it anywhere despite being what I ordered.

So I was right all along?

Come on, say it.

Say itttt!