Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Can I just say that being an old-timer, coming up from the C64 to A500 to Apple Quadra 900s, then to the PPC 840AV and to the clones then to the Intel chipset Macs and PCs.
It's amazing how much there is to 'overcome' in terms of dumb upgrades and usability in the pursuit of new technology.
I always learn a lot from reading this thread. Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Thanks Ants posted:

How does somebody get a CCNA and also not realise that an RFC 1918 address probably isn't the correct one for a remote VPN endpoint :psyduck:
I tried to interpret this post as a way of seeing how out of touch I am, but having only guessed out the CCNA and VPN acronyms could you explain the RFC 1918 address and what it's relevance is to a remote VPN endpoint for me? Not trying to be a dick, I swear.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Sickening posted:

The issue is that a public ip address is needed and rfc 1918 addresses are private.

I extra cringe when someone says RFC 1918 though. Maybe I am extra delicate.

Thank you! As an aside we have 2 local printers on the company network, and by noticing that the one that stopped accepting incoming jobs suddenly had a 169.x.x.x. address next to its buddy with a 10.89.x.x address so I asked IT to have a look. Apparently the 169.x printer was never plugged in to the correct port for the network(?) and worked fine until the other day. I'm calling 'Possessed'. It's fun reading this thread, I learn a lot and sometimes remember what I had forgotten as a non-IT worker in a tech-heavy organisation.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Proteus Jones posted:

Did the printer have a static IP before?

Because that 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is going to most likely be the interface is set to pull an address via DHCP and no one is responding to its request. If it was working before, I wonder if the printer got factory reset or something?
It's hard to say, I would guess it was a static IP for tracking prints, reports for maintenance etc. back to a central point in IT. Maybe a power outage reset it to factory settings but it's clone next to it is right as rain. And plugged in to a known port. The problem child is plugged into no mans land port and yet was working from day 1 :smith:
It's pretty bizarre to me, having worked with Unix-fronted imagesetters (film outputters for magazines etc.) from the 90s and dealing with their proclivities, to seeing such a simple setup fall over out of nowhere.. its weird.

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 21, 2017

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Wibla posted:

Australian telecom is a prime example of how you shouldn't do it. On pretty much every level.

So you're telling me Mr "I co-owned one of Australia's FIRST ISP's" (OzEmail) has no idea how a broadband service should be run?
This does give us who are watching some idea of how unutterably out of touch and throwback retarded his colleagues are when it comes to technology, put in place the world over.
It would be a joke if it wasn't so serious.
"Hey let's do a major upgrade! To bring Australia into the late 20th century! No-one needs that fiber-speed poo poo down here, we're busy pioneering all sorts of cancer research and doing the first heart transplant in the world.
What do we need a competitive advantage for? Broadband? Psssshhhhhh!"
Dumb cunts. So dumb. Such cunts.

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 18, 2017

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Thanks Ants posted:

Whoever does the marketing for DrayTek products should get some sort of award. They've managed to convince people that they make a product that sits nicely between cheap home gear and good ~*enterprise*~ equipment, and are able to price it accordingly, when all they seem to have done is designed things in a way that makes them look poo poo, are poorly built, have awful UIs, non-existent CLIs, are supported by people who don't know what they're talking about, and are almost impossible to use because they seem to invent their own words for features that everybody else might call something like "source NAT".

Absolute poo poo all round, and the one good feature is that they like to just stop working completely so at least we don't have many left to look after.

Jesus, wow. Not surprised, but got a big belly laugh out of that one

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

a_pineapple posted:

The helpdesk is required to install some software on all our Macs. The designated Mac Guy provided them a 20mb file called installer.sh.
I was pretty impressed that someone wrote a 20mb shell script. Then I actually looked at what was in it. Below the actual lines of the script I found:

### DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ###

... And then what appeared to be 20mb of encoded binary from an installer.

The dude literally pasted the binary from an installer into a shell script and is using that to deploy an application.
:psyduck:

NO! Just *smack puppy right on the nose* NO!

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Weedle posted:

i did this for one week and after i submitted it they never asked me to do it again
I suppose it is fair to quantify how much each meat unit generates in terms of capital injected...
But gently caress them. No matter how much gets put in versus how much profit is made on the strength of the people, IT IS NEVER ENOUGH.
M/Billionaires complaining about market conditions? How does gently caress OFF sound?

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean, an average office worker gets , what, 3 hours of actual work done in a day?

Pete - to the Bobs
"I'd say in a given week, I'd probably only do about 15 minutes of actual 'work'"

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Work (March 21, 2020): Go and work from home with whatever you can snatch up and get connected with!
Work (October 12, 2020): Return to campus is a thing, but for alternating days only! We are COVID aware and also relinquishing a lot of floor space therefore $$$.
Me (October 14, 2020): Can I stay here or do this thing from a much further away location that will make about as much difference?
Work (October 15 2020): No! That is ridiculous! You may NOT have a proper work/life balance despite all our bullshit PR during lockdown.
Me: Yep.