Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

And really, my main complaint is that the clock trumped everything else. It's not, "holy poo poo does it even matter" it's, "what about all the positive stuff like the fact that I take a shorter lunch most days or the fact that I do above-average work" to which the response is, "that doesn't matter." That is a direct quote. "That doesn't matter."

There's been a lot of back-and-forth on this. From someone who has had to train managers not to suck:

Send an email to your manager, cc: HR.

Request a meeting with him and HR with the following agenda:

1. Clarification as to company policy as to what constitutes "late".
2. Clarification as to employee status (non-exempt, exempt).
3. Request confirmation that per your earlier conversation with your boss, time at desk is the only metric that you will be evaluated on going forward.
4. Create a 90 day action plan evaluating your performance against this metric. Be sure to get lead times to request and take PTO per company policy written into this action plan.

Basically what you're doing is writing yourself up, with HR as a witness. Assuming you hit the performance metric for the 90 day plan, he will have a very difficult time bringing this issue up again, unless he wants to get called out for harrassment.

This is called "managing upward". He's a terrible manager -- whether or not that's because he was never taught how to manage or because he's an awful human being is indeterminate based on the information provided in this thread, but this gets a light shown on everything.

This is also the kind of stuff that a good HR department loves to work on -- you'll know pretty quickly if they're any good or not.

Also, please keep updating the thread! :slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Swink posted:

Someone in one of these threads mentioned they use JIRA to log tickets, but they are the only one in thier business who uses it. He maintained it simply for his own benefit.

I want to do the same thing (JIRA seems cheap). Got any advice?

JIRA is complete overkill for what you're describing.

Spiceworks http://www.spiceworks.com/ is free and great for hardware and license management, if you care about that.

Zendesk http://www.zendesk.com/product/pricing is $12/year for single user, and is probably also overkill for what you're describing, but it's got a lot of stuff integrated that you'd have to purchase separate licenses for with Atlassian.

I'd go with both of those first, unless you want some experience setting up and administering JIRA Download (you probably don't -- all 3/4 Atlassian shops I worked in had OnDemand and 4/4 of those shops had dedicated administrators).

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Humphreys posted:

But that guy using a stopwatch and being passive aggressive towards you is just loving douchebag behavior.

1. Tell him you'll be happy to work on it when he's not at his desk, thus reducing his downtime.

2. Tell his manager if he has any complaints to take it up with your manager.

The second one bothers me far more than the first.

<rant>
When that happens to my direct reports, I go all the way up the line with it. You are part of a service organization -- that does not give anyone the right to treat you like a vending machine. gently caress that.

If your manager isn't clear on that, gently caress that as well. Take it to HR. If your HR organization doesn't address it, get out posthaste.
</rant>

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
This is why I like gmail's "mute" feature.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

HalloKitty posted:

What the hell? He's the type of guy you'd expect to understand those concepts

Apparently you've never worked on a software project with Samsung.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Paladine_PSoT posted:

A scrum is merely a status update meeting. They're generally used in an environment that embraces agile project management methodologies. There's a million and 5 different ideas as to how to do it, but a quick overview to get you up and running:

While what you are describing is often referred to as a daily scrum, What you are actually describing is a stand-up meeting. Scrum is an agile project management methodology.

In order to avoid this turning into an :effort: post, please see the following video that breaks down Scrum very nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0llRltyFM

It covers core concepts and components better than any of the other ones I've seen. I've spent a good portion of the last 10 years implementing Scrum in a comically wide variety of contexts, so I've had to answer the "what is scrum?" question a lot. Now I just start the discussion with that video. I turn it off at 7:15, because it turns into a product pitch at that point.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Take the spec, break it into sprints, reorder when necessary and deliver continuously, then you're agile. Writing down nothing, having daily meetings but then coding for 6 months solid with no release or user acceptance of features is a loving disaster.

The only modification I have for this is Take the spec, break it into user stories with explicit, objective, testable acceptance criteria...

User acceptance should be JIT, if not continuous. At a minimum, a sprint requires user acceptance at the end of each sprint.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 4, 2014

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

"User offered no complaint or negative feedback. Feature accepted as-is."

This. I also send that to them in an email to please confirm, and let them know if I haven't heard from them by x time on y day that their lack of response signifies acceptance.

None of this prevents in inevitable shitstorm at some really inconvenient point in the project, it just provides a paper trail to encourage them to act like responsible adults who are spending someone else's money.

I also make sure that there is a project charter before work starts. For a project already in process, I stop work on the project until we have an accepted and approved project charter. People move fast on this when there's time sensitivity.

Finally, my project charters include a high-level communication plan: people get amazingly sensitive to email notifications like the one I mentioned above. I make sure that this is all communicated to the project team and owners, up front. Think of it as a project SLA.

For example:

• Team member notifications will be by phone with an email memorializing time, date, and content of notification.
  • Team member notified will respond within one hour during normal business hours.
  • Follow up will be hourly until team member responds.
  • If team member does not respond within 5 hours, notification will be escalated to Functional Manager.
  • Follow ups will be hourly until team member responds.
  • If team member does not respond in z days, notification will be escalated to Project Owner.

When all of this is accepted and approved as a sub-component of the Project Charter, there are no surprises, as the expectation is that all project members have acknowledged receipt and understanding of the Project Charter.

The way that all of this works for me on a practical level:

1. Whoever hired me gets a lot of walk-in visits from various non-performing team members and functional managers questioning the need for onerous documentation and my prescence.
2. Things get delivered, on time, and with a minimum of crunch time shenanigans. I don't like working weekends, so I manage my projects accordingly.
3. Project teams get used to the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from delivering on time.
4. I have very little to do when things are going well. When they start going sideways, they get straightened quickly, as they know I will escalate without hesitation.

I like getting the project teams out of foxhole mode, as they're rarely the problem. Business owners who participate according to the accepted and approved Project Charter have a relatively low-stress enjoyable time of things. Those who don't, get fire-walled at a minimum.

My last gig, it was the COO who was the gnarly problem. They were fire walled 3 weeks into the project. We shipped on time (Xbox One launch app). The COO departed the company a week after launch.

Ultimately, the success of a project rests firmly on my shoulders -- I manage them accordingly.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Most Project Managers are overpaid stenographers.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Crowley posted:

This was Microsoft people.
Presenting Microsoft Lync.
At Microsoft national HQ in Copenhagen.
:eng99:

2 days before Xbox One launch, and they couldn't provision an Xbox One dev kit for a walkthrough/code review. We were in Redmond embedded with the Xbox One team. Good times.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Reason for PTO: :911:

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

meanieface posted:

Then lie through your teeth and say you saw it on hacker news, or that a friend told you about it. Seriously, I've known what was going on because of someone's angry rant, and there's no way I'm listing that as my source or coming out as a goon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0ot9iJm_k

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Wash your hands before you touch your dick. Generally speaking, it is cleaner than your hands are - it's underneath at least one layer of clothing.

Unless you wear chaps to work.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

This. Make sure that there's some sort of affirmation that they've read this, or CC their managers.

Also, make sure that they're not out sick or something!

Send their manager an email summarizing the dates that you've previously sent out notice. Be politic: "I know everyone's really busy", "PTO", "Training", whatever.

"A needs to get done or else B will occur with C consequences". Request acknowledgement. Resend it every two business hours for the next 24 hours. No response? Escalate further, and send it to the manager's manager.

You will only have to send that once, twice if the manager's manager is out of office.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 27, 2014

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
I've had the same number for 17 years. :sotw:

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Didn't plan on doing that. However you are free to project on poo poo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=123883

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Actually, if he were just writing me an email it wouldn't be too bad. Dude literally walks into the office and then spends 20 minutes explaining what he has to do while I'm trying to work.

(Attempt to) Hug him every time he comes in your office.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

jammyozzy posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Our official company training material referring to staff as 'resource' e.g. "raise your concerns with an appropriate company resource." :jerkbag:

New gig - I had a one-on-one with the Senior VP of our division. He referred to staff members as resources throughout our discussion. At the end, he asked me if I had any other questions.

I asked him if he would mind not referring to people as resources in my presence, as I found it personally offensive. He asked me how he should refer to them. I suggested "people".

Off to a good start :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

Being completely serious, I think this is a big part of it. The problem is that the word is insidious. Otherwise decent people take up the popular terminology and then its dehumanizing nature goes to work on their subconscious. Enough of that over time and they turn into actual sociopaths who don't see humans anymore; they see cogs and costs and problems.

This.

Just because I'm in senior management and have to make difficult decisions doesn't mean that I get to deflect the difficulty of those decisions by objectifying the people who are impacted by said decisions.