Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!
I figured this was one of the better threads to ask, but feel free to redirect me if I'm wrong.

I'm a CJ / developer for my small company. We have two Hyper-V hosts that have a few Win2k3 VMs that we haven't gotten around to upgrading (ain't broke, don't fix, etc, etc).

I'm now ready to replace our main virtual file server from 2k3 to 2012 (for a number of reasons). Rather than deal with the butthurt of peoples UNC shortcuts changing and mapped drives breaking, can I do an in-place switch over a weekend and keep the same hostname (lets call it fs01).

I'd rather do a fresh install of 2012 rather than in place upgrade. Lots of cruft on that 2003 box....

i.e.

- Create new 2012 VM but don't join to domain
- Kick everyone off on a Friday night
- Remove 2003 machine from AD and shutdown
- Rename 2012 machine to the new hostname (fs01).
- Join 2012 VM to AD
- Attach VHD from 2003 machine to 2012 machine as readonly (temporarily)
- Copy files to new VHD on 2012 machine
- Re-share all the folders

viola....everything works on Monday? \\fs01\butts will work the same?

Or is there some AD / kerberos stuff I'm not aware of and it will all blow up in my face when people can't get to their butts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!

Agrikk posted:

The way I've done file server migrations (P2V, P2P, V2V) without mucking with VHDs:

- Create new 2012 VM and join it to the domain as Server2
- Robocopy all data from Server1 to Server2 preserving all security attributes
(with the /SEC or /COPYALL flag)
- Use this registry export/import technique to copy the share information from Server1 to Server2
- Kick everyone off on a Friday night
- Remove server1 from AD and shut it down
- wait until AD change has propagated
- Rename Server2 to Server1
- restart the lanmanserver service on the new Server1

Protip: You should master this technique by building a test 2003 file server and a test 2012 server and practice with some scratch data on a few test shares.

Thanks!

Share information and permissions are not particularly important, there's only two shares (which I can recreate). And permissions I can reapply manually if need be.

I just wasn't sure how gracefully AD handles a new server with the same name as an old (albeit removed) server.