Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

anthonypants posted:

This happens maybe 75% of the time when a new user account is created:

• The user logs in with their temporary password as instructed. Everything is fine, nothing is broken.
  • The user is never prompted to change their password, but they are able to get to the desktop.
  • The account's "grace login" counter goes to zero, and needs to be reset by the helpdesk before the user will be able to log in again.
  • If the user logs off or locks their computer, they will be unable to log back in. They will be given an error message saying that they are out of grace logins, and to call the helpdesk.
  • Setting the user's grace logins to 1 and allowing the user to attempt another login will prompt the user to change their password.
  • If the user's computer was locked, they will not be able to reset their password. The helpdesk must give them a temporary password and have them unlock their computer first. They will be able change their password from the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen once they are at the desktop.

I don't know how or why this happens, I just know it happens to new accounts the most. Sometimes it happens to existing employees.

Does your org have Universal Passwords enabled? If so, you have to ignore that entire page in ConsoleOne as UP supersedes netware/simple passwords; use iManager to set their password. It sounds to me as if some of your admins/account creators aren't aware that UP is enabled and that isn't being taken into account when the users are set up.

What version of the client are you using on the desktop; is it configured for passive logon(aka "non-novell credential provider")?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004
[quote="“Agrikk”" post="“494371124”"]
Customer was apparently DDOS-ing itself and is continuing an internal investigation.

Anyone want to give the over/under on if it was either a caching issue or DNS?
[/quote]

Both.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004
Kill jester.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

I don't see the option at all if it can detect an internet connection. I only see Local account setup after unplugging ethernet/disabling wifi

This is the only way now - if you connect to the internet you can’t create a local account through the setup wizard. You don’t have to disable wifi, just don’t join any networks.

If you do connect the only way to get the local account option back(within the setup wizard) is to re-install.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

wrote a PR cleaning up a terraform that included some comments firmly criticizing a team for having a terraform config replete with incorrect values for their code vs prod, a bunch of outdated resource referencets etc. to the point that the readme literally included recommendations to use -target to apply specific resources one at a time so devs didn't break poo poo. I wasn't harsh, but it was pretty matter of fact.

anyways i rewrote it to be more polite, more passive voice, feminine blah blah blah because i don't want to come off like some bitch and highkey hate myself for it

i was literally just bragging to a candidate earlier today about how we had such a welcoming place for women, as a female engineer i feel safe and respected, and i believed everything i said at the time. and here i am four hours later self censoring myself so I don't create poor impressions.

anyways on a related note what are your favourite terraform ci/cd pipelines that aren't terraform cloud, because yikes is it pricey to the point that we can't afford to give all devs a license, meaning their experience is terrible

Not being an rear end in a top hat doesn’t equate to self censorship. I often draft similar initial takes, especially if I’m pissed, but know to come back later with a clearer head. I use that time to reconsider my position and find softer ways to get my point across. The long term return on building understanding and fostering relationships, regardless of personal feelings/professional judgement, provides more satisfaction and, I have found, with some frequency those connections can help you to achieve your goals(much to my own surprise).

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004
AWS is pissing me off. I can’t remember a more drawn out on boarding process. I work for a state university; state rules prevent us from using a p-card for automatic/recurring charges. So, we are supposed to initiate the AWS account sign-up, but bail when prompted for cc info(which surprisingly still creates the account) and the account is supposed to be switched to invoicing by our AWS rep after the PO is submitted(acct id is included on the PO for linking to the institutional contract). It’s been two weeks since the PO was issued and my account still isn’t fully activated. The most info our rep has provided is that they don’t know what’s wrong, but are investigating. Admittedly this is my first foray with AWS professionally, but this seems ridiculous. I can perform some admin actions, like creating IAM users(and groups as long as I do so from the IAM user creation interface/trying to access the group interface directly results in being redirected to a notice to complete the account details, ie provide a cc). Trying to access any service interfaces results in the same. I don’t even want to use AWS, I’m just responsible for setting up this project and monitoring the usage for cost-control.

Even more frustrating is that the project is just going to use ec2 instances for machine learning(they did originally consider sagemaker, but were talked out of it by our technical rep) - my institution maintains a huge computing cluster, free to use in most cases, and supports ML. So I’m babysitting a completely unnecessary procurement that does nothing for me except give me administrative headaches, all for a potential spend of $115/month. The PI hired two grad students for this project two months ago on a three month contract. The front end developer doesn’t seem to understand that they don’t need to wait on a DNS entry, or even AWS at all to proceed with design work.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Update to this:

I brought this issue up in the team status report today and one of the other guy piped up saying he has seen this before and had a solution. So we chat about it offline, his solution?

1. Copy all of the files on that partition to a safe space
2. Delete the partition
3. Remake it at the new size
4. Put all of the files back.

If I wasn't in this position, I would've found it hilarious.

You kinda glossed over your procedure - can you provide a full(er) description of how you resized the disk? What distro; hot add or no? Are the original disk sizes reported as whole numbers(in vcenter)? Can you svmotion the original disk(s)?

For the sake of completeness…/s

Skyline Health Diagnostics (SHD) is a tool that analyses log files to detect known issues and recommend solutions/KBs. Benefits include:
Instant resolution to known issues that occur in your vCenter/vSphere environment
Significant reduction of time and efforts in resolving issues faced by Admins
Stability of your vSphere environments
It is highly secure and doesn’t require online connectivity. Please visit here for more details on SHD, including downloading and installation of this tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Agrikk posted:

Funny you should mention office 365 –

That was the first thing I recommended. Just bite the bullet and pay the subscription fee and call it good. But no, he decided to be a cheapskate on this one particular point and therefore Thunderbird.

And no icon fuckery. The last thing I need is him calling me up in nine months saying that outlook isn’t working and then I get all confused because I thought I’d converted him to Thunderbird.

…and Excel 2010 and Word 2010 live on.

Couple people sell cheap office keys in samart.