Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sarcasmatron posted:

Most Project Managers are overpaid stenographers.

Yeah, but a good one... poo poo they're worth their weight in gold. I've only worked with one good project manager, and it was enlightening to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CitizenKain posted:

I have a Curve 8330 that will likely outlive me at this point. Company is pushing everyone into using their personal device and MobileIron, I feel as though if a cellphone is required for my job, they should loving buy it.

I agree with you, as long as your OK getting the crappiest free phone with 2 year contract we can order. We moved to Buy Your Own Device about 3 years ago as people stopped wanting the company provided Blackberry and expected us to start buying and paying for their high end iPhone and Android devices. Now our policy is we pay the bill, you buy the hardware. You don't want to pay for hardware you can get whatever phone is free with contract. There is usually a 2 gen old iPhone, Android, or BlackBerry refurb to choose from in the free tier. If you want that new iPhone 5S 64GB that will be 399 plus tax and I'll need you to stop by my desk with your credit card.

If folks don't want to get on our plan, we will let them expense their personal line as well, so it's either BuyYOD and get on the company plan, or expense your personal line.

What's surprising to me is the number of people who won't spend any money on their phone. Each cell line costs us a little over 100/mo, and most people don't carry a personal phone once they switch over. They're saving 100/mo but won't pay a once every 24 months 199 dollars to get a not lovely phone. Blows my mind.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cenodoxus posted:

I can see the chief concern there being, what happens if I put down $300 on an iPhone on the company plan, and then hand in my resignation or get sacked a few months down the line? .

Where I work the employee owns the cell phone hardware. We eat the ETF if there is one. We spend something absurd like 30K a month on just AT&T cell phones. That doesn't count the folks who use Verizon. The ETF isn't a big deal. Dealing with everyone wanting the company to pay 600+ dollars every time a new hot phone came out was a big deal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Daylen where the hell do you live where 32K with a secret is the rate? Come to San Antonio. You'd easily make double that and still enjoy a low cost of living.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've had 6 before, it's too many. Your neck starts hurting from moving back and forth too much.

I prefer smaller more pixel dense monitors. My best setup was 5 monitors, 4 1920x1080 23" Dell's in a 2x2 grid (2 above 2) and then a 24" ultra sharp (1920x1200)in portrait mode to the left.

The ultrasharp to the left was great for documentation and PDF's. The bottom 2 monitors were my productivity screens, Outlook stayed open in the upper left, and chat windows in the upper right. It worked really well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Moey posted:

I knew sharepoint was hated, but never knew it was that bad of a resource hog.

Is it really chewing up all 4 cores?

Helushune posted:

Pissing me off today: SQL Server 2012 install!

What kind of error is this, you cryptic bastard? :argh:

Edit: Also, Sharepoint Server. We're throwing 4 cores and 8gb of ram at the VM and it's still capping out everything and asking for more. All this server does is host ONE MS Project site that's shared between three people.

I setup a 'Test' instance of Project 2013 server which runs over Sharepoint for 5 manager folks to try out and see if it would work for them.

Sharepoint wasn't happy until it had 16GB of RAM and I'm not sure if it ever really worked 'right'. I talked them into paying for Project Online, let Microsoft manage that poo poo.

edit: I could be wrong but I think the caching is super aggressive in 2013, so if you give it X amount of RAM it will try to use it all to make the experience faster.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 14, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AlternateAccount posted:

edit: for content:

Also pissing me off is that while we have a DC here in this office, all of our authentication goes all the way out to a DC in a different site over 1,000 miles a way. What the hell!??!

Make sure all your poo poo is properly setup in AD Sites and Services.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dick Trauma posted:

Buy your special snowflakes a Dell Latitude e7240. With an SSD and no optical drive it's small, light and does a reasonable imitation of a stylish laptop. And they work with the standard Dell dock. Put it in a nice slipcover case and when you bring it to them they'll feel extra special.

I have one of these fully loaded. 16GB Ram, HD touchscreen, 256GB SSD. Fantastic computer.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Our contractors cannot work for us longer than 12 months without taking 6 months off. It's really easy for a supposed 'contractor' to make the argument they should be an employee, especially in California.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not sure if there is anything that pisses me off more at work than the 'I'm not getting what I want fast enough, so I'm going to CC your boss' email.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TWBalls posted:

So much this. This poo poo is engrained in the culture here. In a way, I can see why as the previous I.T. folks here were loving AWFUL, but this current team, we've made massive improvements and these asswipes still do this. In our case, they're not just CC'ing our boss, they're CC'ing C-levels as well.

It actually snowballed. One guy CC'd my boss and VP, and then his boss went ahead and CC'd C level execs. I'm very fortunate though my bosses have my back, so fallout will be nonexistant. In fact their response was "Why are you even helping them with that in the first place?"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Coredump posted:

Yeah I don't like waking up with the sun up for an hour and then coming home in the dark. I'd rather we move forward an hour right now and leave it there.

Yeah I'm pretty grumpy about this, and my kids are all sorts of confused. I work a 9-5:30 usually and live close to work so I usually roll out of bed at 8AM. The lovely part is I like to take my kids to the park in my neighborhood after work so my wife can make dinner in peace, but now it's pitch loving black at 6PM and that's not possible. Thanks DST!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know poo poo about it except it's loving with my life and everyone seems to agree it's stupid.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My E7240 Dell work laptop was about 2grand but man I loving love it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

evobatman posted:

We have started purchasing iPhone 5S 32GB, up from the 4 and 4S 8GB. Tons of people are coming in complaining that their phones are slow and have no storage space. Then we have to tell them that their phones are working as designed, and we do not replace functioning phones. I'm surprised we don't get MORE smashed and soaked phones than we do.

This stopped when we went to Buy Your Own Device. A newhire gets the new contract price on any hardware they want. If they want the iPhone 6+, we require them to pay the 499 plus tax on the hardware. If they leave, they keep it and we eat the early term fee. We do add the phone to our company plan and the employee never sees a bill. If they want to upgrade, they pay the upgrade price on the line. If it's been 2 years they get full subsidy, if not, they can pay whatever the current upgrade price is. If they don't want to buy a specific phone, we give them a Lumia 635 Windows Phone which is basically free with the new contract. It's not surprising that people started taking better care of their phones.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sfwarlock posted:

The tech then mentioned that perhaps he wasn't the incompetent person in the room, to which he was invited to depart the premises immediately and permanently.

The new manager clearly wants to put his stamp on things and get people on board with his program. It's going to be a get with the new program our get the hell out type of situation. I don't necessarily agree with this kind of management style, but sometimes cleaning out the folks that aren't going to get with the program early can be better in the long run (from a manager point of view).

We've run into it before. The original company I worked for was acquired several years ago and we folded into a larger organization, and we've acquired other companies afterwards. Each time we've had to adapt and change the way we do things. There's always a couple of people that will just not adapt to the reality of the new situation, and sometime it has hurt to let them go, but it's better in the long run.

Looking at your post history in this thread, it's pretty clear this guy is an idiot, but it is what it is and there's not much you can do about it except move on to another job. Unfortunately in these situations severe damage is going to be done before his bosses figure out he's an idiot. The loss of experienced people, and institutional knowledge can really hurt a dept.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Manslaughter posted:

Extremely hosed up. There has to be someone above him you can talk to?

The problem with talking to his boss, is his boss probably made the hire and I've learned people don't like to deal with the fact they might have made a bad hiring decision.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lightning Jim posted:

Things potentially pissing me of:
My employer has been slowly phasing in HSAs as medical coverage optoins, but soon HSAs will be the only options available.
I don't know if this is going to be good or bad in the end, but I do know HSAs have caps, while PPOs don't.

Depends on how they set it up. My wife has a High Deductible Health Plan w/Health Savings Account and it's not terrible.

The company pays 100% of her insurance premium and puts 1200 dollars into her HSA every year.

The HDHP has a 3,000 dollar deductible. She pays with her HSA funds or out of pocket until she hits 3K, after 3K of medical bills the plan pays 100%. Worst case our actual cash out of pocket is 1800 for the year. The HSA rolls over. She didn't use all of her 1200 company provided dollars last year, so now she has over 2K in her HSA.

HDHP's are decent if you don't have a lot of medical expenses, or you have a ton of medical expenses.

I have a traditional 90/10 coinsurance PPO with a 500 dollar deductible that the kids and I are on. My company pays out the rear end for this coverage for us. The real cost of the medical plan is about 1100/month, of which I throw in about 240 pre tax.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You know what pisses me off? Early adopters. Corporate IT moves slow, things have to be validated in new environments. Don't come bitching to me because you had to have the latest OSX version and now a corporate app doesn't work. It's been out less than 2 weeks shithead.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

duffmensch posted:

Depends on the industry. Some financial companies hand out VP titles like Skittles on Halloween.

The company I work for sticks to the proper title convention in all areas except one. A lot of our guys that deal with external customers have inflated titles because the external customers feel better about it. Senior Director of Implementation makes the customers feel better about paying us a bunch of money (and I'm sure we bill higher for that title), than Implementation Engineer. Those guys get VP or Sr. Director titles even without any reports at all, but the customers expect it I guess.

Banking is weird though, my wife works for a financial institution and they have VP's and AVP's of everything!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

When the hell was the last O365 outage?

I've seen emails down for an hour or two at the worst over two years.

O365 hasn't had a total outage in a while, but there isn't a day that goes by where there aren't some kind of problems notated in the admin portal. We've had issues where people on certain servers had issues, but nothing that's affected the entire company in a while. Right now they're fixing something with Exchange, and Sharepoint is in "extended recovery".

Coredump posted:

Soon, SCCM 365. :stare:

That basically exists already. Intune can connect to SCCM on premise if you want, or Intune itself is basically an easy to use SCCM lite. In fact you can't even install the Intune pc software if the SCCM client exists.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Crowley posted:

Hell no. I just went through an MS audit, and let me tell you it's SO MUCH EASIER to figure out Office 365 licenses than "regular" licenses.

Example: You have users with laptops who connect to Citrix for their "main" use, but also have word installed locally to be able to type up stuff when offline. They use OWA too some times, and they all have a mix of iPhones/Android/WinPhones/Nokia E-series with connection to Exchange. How do you license them? With O365 you buy them an E3, and that's that. With older versions.. Give it a whirl, and I'll tell you the result later.

Agreed. Our EA is much simpler these days with all the cloud stuff now.

E3 licenses covers O365 and Office Software licenses on a per user basis. No more SA for various office versions and keeping track of all that. Much easier to back bill to departments as well.

Enterprise CAL Suite Bridge licenses covers the various CAL's we need.

Datacenter licenses for all our virtual host servers and covers the Server OS licensing.

We moved Project to Project Online, covers the client software as part of the monthly fee.

The only other thing we worry about is some RDS CAL's we have, 3 Exchange Server Std licenses and some Visio licenses. Everything else is covered.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Super Slash posted:

As for 365 I've been on the edge for getting it, but when I read up that you can now transfer Office 2013 licences to different machines it kinda killed any interest I had. We can either pay up £150 one off fee for a product key, or pay £84 per year forever just to use office, I mean even two years of a 365 subscription for one user is already straight up more expensive than just buying it, what's the appeal?
(Personally I don't care about the cost, but I know for a fact it'll be no dice for the company)

Where are you getting legit Office product keys for £150? Office Pro Plus 2016 has a list price of about 508 USD here in the states and MLA is quoting £429.14 in the UK. That's without Software Assurance, just the license. Throw in SA and you're up to £677.95. Even Office Standard licenses without SA are £314

Anyway, so here's the appeal of O365 for my organization, now I work for a company of over 3,000 employees spread across 20 global sites so my reasoning might not apply to smaller companies.

Office365 licensing first off gives us flexibility. It's per user. When we acquired a company with 400 people last year we didn't do anything but buy 400 more E3 licenses. No infrastructure to upgrade, no Capital Expenditures to finance, just a bigger monthly bill. I didn't have to worry about our Exchange environment sizing. I don't have to worry about server placement across the globe. I didn't have to worry about having enough Office licenses for them. I also don't have to worry about how many devices the user has. Many of our users have Desktops and Laptops. It's all included.

From a finance perspective we're reducing our large Capital Expenditures. We have a big Enterprise Agreement so we pay our E3 licenses annually instead of monthly, but it still helps the company from a cash flow perspective. Traditionally we would write a huge check that covered 3 years of licensing.

From an IT perspective we have gained services, while reducing costs. Before moving to BPOS/O365 we didn't have any sort of internal IM service setup, now the whole company has Skype for Business. We've seen significant savings from moving away from Exchange On Premise. Backups, Spam and Malware filtering, all included and all costs we removed after the migration.

It's not for every organization, but it works for us and we like it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks Ants posted:

Some of the new stuff happening in the world of Lync Skype for Business looks really nice, but the Mac client is stuck in 2011 limbo.

Sort your poo poo out Microsoft.

It should be out by the end of the year last I heard.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CitizenKain posted:

We are about to get hosed sideways by Microsoft because the people that used to be in charge of licensing decided it was boring and stopped doing it. The the person in charge of that department decided to ignore multiple emails from Microsoft over a few months asking for a status check on our licensing. He hired an outside company to audit our licenses thinking that would make MS go way for awhile. Instead they said that's nice, but we need this information real soon, and if you don't have it we'll come get it.

I kinda understand this attitude, but my company makes and sells software and we want to make sure our customers are properly licensed and pay the proper amounts. Why is Microsoft vilified for making sure that companies are compliant with their software licensing rules? It's more like, we didn't do what we were supposed to do, and we hosed ourselves.

I guess my perspective changed once my company started making money on software.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Our Microsoft licensing is way easier now than it was 6 or 7 years ago. It went from 13 pages of unidentifiable SKU's to 1 page.

O365 E3 licenses - per user and covers O365 services and Office Pro Plus
Project Online - covers Project client software and provides cloud server stuff
CALS - Enterprise CAL Suite Bridge for Office 365 covers all on premise CALs not already covered

Server OS - 1 Datacenter license per VMWare host, 1 Std license per physical server
Desktop OS - Windows Software Assurance per User

The only thing left we have to true up is the number of Visio licenses we have and our SQL servers the rest of it is simply based off our current user or server count.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

pixaal posted:

1 covers 2 sockets in 2012R2, 2016 is going to be so fun! 1 License covers 16 cores. This makes it "easier" or something I don't know. Seems more complicated and money grabbing.

Yeah, that's gonna suck. Our newest hosts have 18 cores per CPU. Not sure how that's going to work. Others have 12 or 16 cores.

edit: Just looked it up. A minimum of 8 core licenses is required for each physical processor for servers with multiple processors. Single processor servers need to have 16 core licenses assigned.

Looks like you can buy extra 2 core packs for servers as needed.

Our 2012R2 licenses under SA will transition to 8 2core pack licenses (16 cores)

That means:

12 core/2proc hosts we still have to license for 16 cores even though we only have 12
16 core/2proc hosts will license for 16 cores or 8 2packs - even steven
36 core/2proc hosts will need 18 2core pack licenses, or 10 additional after SA, which will more than double licensing costs for that server.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 31, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

thebigcow posted:

Power management tab on adapter properties?

They changed some stuff starting with Windows 8

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2776718

Looks like disabling fast startup enabled WOL to work again. We don't use it so I can't confirm.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bob Morales posted:

That's the ticket someone put in yesterday

This is beautiful. Someone took the trouble to print the website page, walk over to a Ricoh, scan to email PDF the printed website page, and then use that PDF to open a ticket. What a waste of time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Biowarfare posted:

Vacation that.. you earned in the first place?

The company I work for is not doing this. It's use it or lose it, unless local law (CA) prevents such an arrangement. I've only got 2 weeks of work left this year at this point since I'm taking a ton of PTO off before the end of the year. I'm not in operations though, so I can disappear for a few weeks and its no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

deedee megadoodoo posted:

IT is thankless. I’ve done so much work behind the scenes on huge high visibility projects over the years and I can count on one hand the number of times my team has been thanked.

Edit - I’m not bitter

Most IT people I've worked with are not good at playing the political game inside the company. I know we shouldn't have to, but the ones who tout every accomplishment, and make a point to get noticed by the higher ups have a huge advantage. Those people get raises, promotions, budget. It sucks but you have to play the game.

The Fool posted:

My current company has a “distinguished fellow” title that is a non-management IC equivalent to VP

Semi-seriously considering getting on that train

We have a senior IC track that ends up at an VP level Technical Fellow position, but there's like 5 of them in the entire company and as you can imagine there isn't a lot of turnover. If you don't want to go into management we do have a fair number of lead/staff engineer positions, and a large architecture dept at staff/principal levels. I don't think I could make it there in the next 25 years if I wanted to. I'm not sure I want to get into architecture at this org either...

Semi Comedy option, get into project management or the PMO office.