Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

Same situation this morning. I leave the office to answer the call of nature before my boss gets in. He's running late again too just like earlier this week. I email and text him "I'm not in the office, in restroom." and this is what I get back.

Yeah, sooooo...

So set a timer for a 29 minute dump and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone watched too much Wolf of Wallstreet.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

Dunno, but it's a big enough part of 70-411 that I am dreading the semester final project because I have a feeling we're going to be spending days trying to get WS2012 to hand out DHCP without making GBS threads all over the Cisco routers.

I would think block reservations and correct scopes should handle this.

Still sounds like a poo poo show though.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

From the lab we did about DHCP relay agents (also in 70-411 :suicide:) that breaks down pretty quick even without Cisco DHCP being thrown into the mix.

I hope to loving $deity I never work for a company that does Windows Server DHCP, let alone mixing it with DHCP on the routers.

Conflicting DHCP is a nightmare but just using a Windows Server DHCP is pretty solid. I haven't run into any problems with it at all.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

pofcorn posted:

again with the Windows DHCP crap? I thought this was a fine configuration in most cases?

It is.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

last month:
:bigtran: WE ARENT GOING TO PAY YOUR INFLATED PRICES FOR DEDICATED DATABASE BACKUPS!@#@!#$!@ WE WILL DO OUR OWN#@!$#@!%@#%!!!!!!!
:boom:

Today:
:bigtran: EVERY NIGHT AT MIDNIGHT OUR DATABASE FREEZES! FIX IT!!@#!@#%$@!#%

So I go and look for any reoccuring jobs that run at midnight. What do I find?

code:
mysqldump --lock-all-tables --all-databases [their login and password info for their mysql root user] >/BACKUPS.dump
so I explain:

:eng101: "lock all tables" will basically pause the database until the dmp is completed. You have about 250gb of stuff on these databases, so that takes a while."
:bigtran: Well you need to make that not happen, we can't handle anymore downtime.

:negative:

Send them the quote you sent them last month.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Is TrendMicro really that worthless for AV or is something terribly wrong elsewhere?

There are just so many better options out there with better pricing. I wouldn't even consider them.

Vipre or Webroot are both solid choices.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ignorance is bliss as a sales rep.

I used to be a consultant for a helpdesk software company. I would travel all over setting up the helpdesk for ITIL compliance (pretty much a buzz word at this point) and the more I learned about the limitations of the system the harder it was to say "Yeah, let me talk to my engineers and see what we can do."

Mind you in the end it did make consulting easier.

"Can we do this?"

"No, but you should be doing this instead."

It's so much easier to convince people to do things when they are paying 10k a week for you to be there. There was something hilarious to me, being 25 years old at the time and having a board of directors who easily doubled my age listening to me like I was the solution to every problem they ever had.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

gently caress, my professional life would be so much easier if companies would just for once be open to making small changes to their procedures and routines instead of spending tons of time and money trying to shoehorn a system into doing things their special snowflake way.

Then again I guess creating a framework from bubble gum and cocktail sticks, then selling development hours to "integrate" it with the customer's snowflake is more profitable than selling a finished product.

Get a friend to pose as a consultant. Have your company pay him $10k a week and then have him suggest what you want to do.

If they get hesitant have your friend go "Well, you're paying for me to be here so I just want it to be worth your time"

There you go, you now have what you want.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Dudeguy posted:

So it's Friday the 13th...

And one of my Domain Controllers just decided that ADDS replication and changes are for pussies. :catstare:

Just for good measure I'm going to check mine again.

When I started here replication wasn't working for months. I had 2 DC's past their tombstone date. So much clean up.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paladine_PSoT posted:

When licensing is so confusing and changes so much iteration to iteration of software, the customer gives up and says "how much do we owe you" and it then becomes a negotiation.

I had to explain to the licensing team auditing our business that "If I virtualize my environment I can use 1 Windows License for 2 VMs". They just responded with a canned response that for each physical system I required 1 Windows License.

I had to call them up and it turns out the auditors were in New Zealand so they kept trying to call me at 2 AM.

Took 2 months to audit out environment. I only have 5 servers.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why Microsoft doesn't just develop a web tool that says:

"How many Servers do you have?"
"Are they virtual/Physical?"
"How many users will be using these servers"

"Here's your licensing breakdown"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's called the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit. I used to be on the engineering team for it.

I attempted to run the software and even in my small environment it was giving me false positives or missing entire servers for some reason.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haha I love it.

"we don't see customers needing the feature."

Yeah, because we open tickets just to talk to someone.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I was brought here 8 months ago to evaluate our current ERP system, make recommendations a new system, and then choose and implement it. I have quotes from vendors coming in this month, the last two are next week and I'm presenting my decision in March.

We got a new President/COO this month. He wants to shelve the project. "We aren't doing an ERP system in 2015".

I guess I'm going to look for another job.

Find a nice corner and wait until 2016. Is it a big enough company that you could just sit at your desk every day and no one would question what you're doing?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eldercain posted:

Seriously, is there someone who's worked this field that can explain the 4 hour window?

Working for an ISP you generally have an idea of when you can be out there HOWEVER there are times where you show up to an old ladies house to set up a digital box and it suddenly turns into a program entire system and teach a 90 year old how digital tv works and oh how can I still use my vcr....

Or a misreported problem. You go out for a tiling digital box to find out the entire drop needs to be replaced.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

After almost a full month of phone and in-person interviews and last-minute reference madness the HR VP just called to offer me the job I've been chasing. She wound up insisting on talking to my old CEO and I decided to go with it, contacting him first to prep him. She says he gave me a fantastic, detailed recommendation which helps balance out the stupid bullshit his company put me through.

I start Monday. Sr. Vice President of I.T. with my first six-figure salary, a large increase over my last position. Better late than never! I will put what I've learned at the last job into play here. Now my plan is to try and educate myself on the things that could help keep me at this level for the next part of my career, like project management. At 48 (even a young-looking 48) I have to make sure what I offer is in keeping with what employers expect of someone of my age and experience.

Thank you all for listening to literally years worth of employment drama. I can't tell you how many times it's helped keep me on an even keel, and it's partially responsible for how quickly I bounced back from my flame-out at the last place. I feel much better positioned to deal with this next job due to all the advice I've received.

I still expect wild tales of IT dumb fuckery from you. Better work on your Creative Writing skills.

You've set a precedent.

(Congrats though)

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eldercain posted:

It's like every part of you sticks to every other part of you and god help you if your brand of BO carries even a little because no amount of deoderant will stop it completely. Snow is a giant pain logistically but at least you don't burn your hands when you try to touch your steering wheel in your oven car.

Yeah, I get both of those extremes here outside of Toronto.

-40c Winters and 40c humid summers!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GI_Clutch posted:

Not something I had to that pissed me off, but I'm sitting in on the second webinar by a guy at our company. He's got a hipster beard/mustache and his slides are filled with kittens, zombies, and lolspeak. He just said "pwned" a minute ago. I don't know if he thinks his mspaints of kittens with devil horns and putting "lol" on slides and purposefully misspelling words is cute or funny, but it's not. Well, the twenty-something girly girl is laughing, but that's it.

Dudes getting so much tang with his wicked sweet webinars.

(Seriously, what do you do that this is even acceptable?)

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Oh dear, I think my Dell tech is having a bad day:

That man/women hates their job.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

My cubicle is in the middle of the room our helpdesk is located at where I work. A student worker from another department within IT comes to the helpdesk with a laptop asking for my boss.

:downs: Hey Coredump, is <boss's name> here?
:confused: Let me peek in his office. Nope he's not here.
:downs: Well <other employee who student works for> sent me down here with this laptop for Jacky.
:confused: You know what's going on with it?
:downs: ...
:confused: Alright I'll take it for him and put it on his desk.

I didn't want to get involved because if you guys remember earlier with the whole restroom ordeal, boss has been acting pretty weird. Now I made a mistake, I did not put a note on the laptop saying who dropped of the laptop or where it came from when I put it on his desk. After that I put the laptop out of my mind.

Well my boss comes in later that week saying that <other employee who student works for> was asking about the laptop. By this time I had completely forgotten what I did with the laptop. After some search we find the laptop in his office.

Here's the email I get: "Following up with the incident with the laptop for <student worker>. Next time, please make sure to add a tag/yellow/ticket to the equipment with the name of user, a short description of what I need to do, a deadline if mention by the user then place the equipment in a visible location in my office. Either create a ticket when appropriate then assign it to me or send me an email to let me know I have an equipment waiting for me that need my attention.

In the above situation, I had to find the user to identify the serial number then look around for a match serial number. It was not very effective to find the laptop.

Thank you for attention in this matter,"

Maybe I'm over reacting but I feel like, you loving kidding me?

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly but it seems like you took a laptop that was required to be repaired but didn't document anything in the process.

What's your normal procedure for equipment drop offs?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

My thing is that my boss and the person who sent the student worker apparently already had a conversation going about this laptop that I wasn't included in on. So should I be getting reprimanded for not creating a ticket for a machine that I have no idea if a ticket exists already or if it really needs a ticket? He's telling me I should leave him a note on what he needs to do with a machine I leave him in his office. I didn't have this information, the person who dropped off the laptop didn't have this information, but he did already. No doubt I hosed up not getting a note on the machine, but I don't think that little slip warrants all that.

But hey if I'm reading into weird then I'm willing to accept that too.

I would think general procedure regardless of conversation should be submitting a ticket to track it. Worst case you just close it as duplicate.

I wouldn't put it past a student to bring you a laptop and say "Oh yeah, so and so knows about it" just to try to get better service.

C.Y.A all day every day.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gounads posted:

Oh look... more "security researchers" trying to make a buck...

I get at least one of these a month, and it's always bullshit.

"You have been reported to the authorities for unauthorized pen testing our website".

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

stuxracer posted:

This is funny because that would be my reaction. I don't work in security so maybe this is acceptable behavior.

A few months ago I was messing around with the local newspapers site and I noticed that their paywall was just simple CSS. Since you can modify CSS ad hoc using Google Chrome all you had to do was comment out 2 <div> tags and you could read the whole article. (It was just an overlay that faded out the back and asked you to purchase).

I drafted up a small write up on it and sent it off to their IT department. They got back to me saying they had no idea you could do this and thanked me for my report.

6 months later it's still not fixed. I guess they pay a third party for this paywall fix. You figure a simple redirect would be better than a CSS overlay.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Antioch posted:

good lord
I just got the outgoing Director's Surface Pro back to scrub it and give it to him as a 'parting gift'.
Sso he gives me this bag with the surface in it, and says "I have all my passwords written down on a sheet of paper in the pocket" and he gives me a loving *WINK*.
And he means all of his passwords. Surface, email, facebook, banking, amazon, ebay, it goes on and on.

Like dude. If you ever lost this bag you would be proper hosed. Proper. hosed.

Ffuck. why.

A business I work for on the side has a user (one of the owners) that keeps all of his passwords in a word file in his My Documents.

Including all of your Adultery dating websites. Nothing like watching him scroll through a list of passwords looking for the quickbooks login to see "Ashley Madison, Plenty of Fish, Cougar Hunter, D Link..."

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Honestly, D-Link sounds like a gay dating website.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

She also sometimes puts her hands together and bows at me (I'm Chinese) when she says thank you. What the gently caress is that? Is she from an old racist kung fu movie?

That is the worst thing in this entire post.

Also hilarious.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Antioch posted:

I bought a french press, a burr grinder, and a kitchen scale *specifically* for work. The drip "coffee" that we have comes from the office supply store, and asking people to drink it can be considered a god damned war crime.

I got one of these for at home. Love it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Aerobie-83R01-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso/dp/B0047BIWSK

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dudley posted:

This is the correct answer.

To expand on this I believe there is a metal screen you can buy so you don't have to use the paper filters.

Inspector_666 posted:

A friend of mine owned an Aeropress and was constitutionally incapable of using it without somehow dislodging the filter and dumping at least half of the grounds into his mug.

I have this problem but only when I try to make a second cup with the same grounds. My Fiance doesn't like her coffee as strong so I always make her a cup with my grounds. About 20% of the time when I'm removing the plunger it shifts up the filter. All I do is empty the aeropress out, put another filter in and just sift the coffee through it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

The videos I see of Aeropress make it look quite hard to push down. Is it something that someone with weak wrists can use?

It will depend on how fine you grind the beans. If they are a little coarse is flows nicely. Sometimes a little pressure is required though.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We've become so... I don't know what to call it. Project focused? Is that a thing? ... that you can't mention anything you're going to do without being asked for an ETA. It has gotten so bad that a guy mentioned that he was whiteboarding a project this morning, this would be a pretty significant infrastructure change, and he's already been asked for an ETA for it. It's all theory now, we don't need to worry about ETA. Stop saying ETA. What is your ETA on not asking about my ETA?

It is too bad because project management is a perfectly legitimate discipline, but I don't know if I'm exposed to any job which it is easier to be bad at.

"What's the ETA for the techs arrival"

It's funny how many people don't know what ETA means.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Oh thank god she's doing her two weeks.

How many sick days does she have banked? She could just cash those out and not come into work.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I swear sometimes we are the same person.

I got into it last week with someone who wanted an ETA over a project that hadn't even been funded yet and things got pretty heated. He asked for an eta and I explained where the project was, who it was waiting on approval from, and how I didn't have one and it just escalated. It got to a point where I pointed out that that he seemed to be wanting to give me a deadline (not asking an ETA at all) and that was well out of his authority to do so.

I think that is honestly how its been for a while though. I have moved away from giving eta's at all because the common view of what an eta is has shifted in the places I work for. An ETA has somehow turned into a promise instead of an estimate and that is just frustrating.

My boss asked for an ETA on a project that he needed to approve.

"Anywhere between now and 2016"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Lots of stuttering ensued, including one of their "top developers" explaining to me that they had never seen an environment where everyone was not an Administrator on their machine, followed by a soliloquy about how most enterprises were moving in the direction of an "All Admin" model for desktop usage.

What the gently caress are they smoking? Every environment should be audited to remove admin rights, not give them out like candy.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

^^ God, really? That is adorable.

I was just asked to begin the deprovisioning process.

No name has been given so am I just free to fire anyone I want in any department? Because ideas, I've got a few.

De-provision yourself with an amazing severance package.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised the site doesn't have a flashing GEOCITIES banner on the bottom.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
poo poo that pisses me off:

Attempting to use technet virtual labs but being told that too many instances are currently running. I know it's a free service but finding resources to practice with is a pain in the rear end.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Guys can you believe that as we employ more staff our payroll costs increase?

Time to start cutting money from IT's budget.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

I nicked a pair of outdated law books from our legal department to prop my monitors up.

I've had to replace 3 monitors in the last year internally here and I couldn't find any with an adjustable mount. They were all static bases. I had to find some old manuals to prop them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

There might be really dumb licensing reasons for this.

Probably.

I know I can't watch half the poo poo on Hulu on my Roku due to some lovely licensing.