Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

pixaal posted:

I really want to punch the tech support for our cloud VOIP system in the face through the phone, is that a thing yet?

We've had 4 ghost 911 calls today so far. Police are getting tired of it, phone company sees 911 dispatch calling us but says the phone system never called them so we're wrong all wrong and 911 is just confused.

They are refusing to transfer me to an engineer and a manger gave a users name and said they called, but refused to give a time. User claims they didn't call 911, and that doesn't cover the other 3 calls so I believe the user.

Strange, we had two ghost 911 calls this morning as well. Though we are on a simple AVAYA system not VOIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

fist4jesus posted:

I usually get to work early for various reasons, avoiding traffic mainly.
Today I got in about a hour early, had a nice morning walk, screwing around online, normal stuff.

I really need to take what feels like a enormas poo poo.
I'm holding on bravely, only 15 more minutes until my start time and then I'll go.

Boss makes a dollar; I make a dime,
That's why I poo poo on company time!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

fist4jesus posted:

I'm back and it was terrible. And once again my hidden stash of wet wipes saved the day.
Not my problem if the plumber needs to come out twice a year as the plumbing cant cope with them. :dukedog:

Get the flushable kind.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
poo poo that pisses me off: A confusing lack of trust.

I was once an IT manager for several offices around the country. Dealing with several 100k of equipment, purchasing, maintaining, storing, etc.. Kind of got burned out so when an opportunity to work a lower tier of support for more pay and basically sit at a desk all day I jumped at it. Now the company is limiting my access, specifically to the IT closet where we keep all the keyboards/mice, monitors, etc. Nothing super expensive, maybe some $800 replacement comps since the server closet is upstairs were we keep the big expensive stuff.

Of course, they also gave me the job of managing the access cards and database. So while it's company policy and I was told to my face that I was not allowed access I can literally alter my card access at anytime, or anyone elses. Nice job guys, really thought that through huh? Don't trust me with getting a spare keyboard for an employee but they do trust me with all the card accesses for the entire building.

smh

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Just had a interview with a potential CTO for my company. It started getting pretty hilarious, and I was stifling a laugh, when every time there was something this guy didn't know he would just say "well I would toss it up to the cloud." Not "we'll use the cloud" or "lets find a cloud solution" it was always "tossing it to the cloud" like he was playing basketball with servers and databases.

Still not as bad as the guy with the 6 page resume, with reference links to more pages. You know you have OCD when your resume has a glossary and table of contents.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

Airwatch isn't great but it's WORLDS better than the Android MDM SOTI I'm required to use at work all the time.

Then again, SOTI at the very least allows you to remote into devices. Airwatch is just pathetic in that regard.

This is what we found out, Airwatch while not great is better than others. We just use it mainly for Boxer (webmail) and the occasional "lost phone".

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah Phishing emails are getting disturbingly good these days. It's still obvious to me when I get one but to someone that isn't paid to look for that sort of thing I can imagine easily falling for one.

Reminds me of a really convincing phishing email sent to our company. It was one of the QA guys (because of course) who figured out it was illegitimate because "Aug 25, 2018 isn't a Monday." Now I check everything.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

spog posted:

Good.

gently caress these people who demand complicated technical names for consumer products. If your customer has to google an article on the subject just to buy a router for their home wifi, you've failed at marketing.

And while I am on my soapbox: all the USB cables should be replace with two standards: 'Big' and 'Small'

To connect my printer to my computer, I use 'USB Big to Big'

and to connect a phone to your computer, it should be 'USB Big to Small'

"USB Big to Bigly Small"

related xkcd:
https://xkcd.com/927/

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Four hour interviews just prepare you for the 6 hour meetings you will be attending once hired.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

PremiumSupport posted:

I interviewed for a non-IT job when I was in school and needed income. The interview started out normal but that lasted all of two minutes. The interviewer noticed me glancing at the desktop background of her computer, which was a WoW screenshot. The next hour and a half was exclusively discussion of WoW guilds, raids, and boss-fight strategies.

I got the job.

During my interview, I got my now current boss to talk about the WarMachine figurines he was painting at home (I don't even play myself). I knew I had the job locked in at that point.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Why not just hire a nun to go around and chant "SHAME" at everyone?

jfc get out of there!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Normal contracted technician is on PTO for surgery. We had an issue with a server managed by the contractor's company. I submitted a support ticket and they let me know they will contact another tech to take a look. Queue an hour later and the normal contractor gets online and starts working on our issue. JFC, the contact company actually rescinded his PTO to have him work on our issue (which wasn't that much of a deal). We've had complaints about this company for a while now, but making your workers go in directly after surgery really gets me as I too an a lowly desk warmer and worker rights are a joke.

This isn't a mom and pop shop, it's a national company we are contracting with. But they never document anything unless we tell them to so when a problem pops up only one guy who knows the systems can work on it. They even told me "well the tech could already be working on the issue, we have no way of knowing." Like, you don't know what your techs are working on? "Well, no not unless they document it." They don't document their work? JFC, I'm pushing for us to find another vendor because shits not right.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

bull3964 posted:

If that was prepared sous vide, it could be perfectly safe to eat.

Gross as gently caress, but safe.

Chicken served sous vide does not look like that. She just made a salmonellae salad. :barf:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I actually set up a convention for Mulesoft last year. Their techs didn't know how to unzip a file.... so good luck with that!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I think the only time I've seen someone get out of probation is to transfer to another department. Essentially starting a new job just in the same building. All other times, it's the the axe.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How do you feel about a volcanic eruption consuming your home and/or workplace?

More likely washed away in the next hurricane.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

codo27 posted:

There's this crooked old lady who everyone in her area kinda laughs and roll their eyes whenever I have to go tend to a service request from her, although she's been nothing but nice to me (but I can see where she gets her reputation). I arranged to get her upgraded from her old HP brick laptop and it arrived today so I emailed her to let her know. "How big is the memory" she asked.

"Oh it's big, like really big... 8 million kilobytes... that is a lot."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
My favorite is the one by my company's lawyer... he is doing his best Ben Stein impression. I think we caught the last guy napping in the video room after about 20 minutes into the presentation.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

All good points, but let's also be fair, we know women get dinged for that poo poo way more easily than men.

Now now now, lets not get hysterical! /s

Sprechensiesexy posted:

What other way is there to look at it? You are there for your paycheck, not to make sure some random chucklefuck goes home with his feelings unhurt.

That you need to properly communicate and emotions are part of that.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

only leaving you with a tiny area (in red)

That "tiny area" is almost half the bar.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Computers were created by capitalism. Therefor there is no way to untie them from capitalism and as such they are the enemy. :colbert:

Computers were created by a gay man, so it's impossible to say whether they are good or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I was going to PM you, but you don't have PMs (speaking of "More poo poo that pisses you off," the idea that mods need users to pay for PMs or have to give them plat.) I'm hoping this was just a joke that didn't land and not a bit of homophobia. Thanks and god bless. :pray:

It was a joke, making fun of FlapYoJacks reductionist comment.

mea culpa

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 16, 2023