Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
When setting up IoT devices that have static ips, please remember to document IP addresses, mac address,devices names/id's and physical location.

Otherwise, the next person will have to spend hours on the phone with the network team power cycling each device to find the ip address. As some serial based devices put the mac address on the side you mount it next to the power supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Pissing me off: the fact that I can't do that for my cat because the city claims it's "unsightly". :(

Are bug screens allowed? Two layers should keep most cats safe

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 30, 2019

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

stevewm posted:

Salespeople that want to do a conference call about every drat thing...

Dealing with a large project with several stages to it and multiple vendors involved. We already know the specifics of each stage, just need a quote for that part of it. Yet the salesperson insists on setting up worthless conference calls that amount to 20 minutes of small talk and bullshit just to end with "ill send you the quote via email ASAP".

I've already sat through 3, not doing it anymore.

Just send me the drat quote I asked for!

Option 1. If they feel it's important enough for a conference call, then they can do an in person meeting and supply lunch

Option 2. When they insist on those worthless conference calls, if they want to keep your companies business, they must bring you ... A shrubbery

Another fun thing to do with cold callers, is to do what Giovanni Ribisi does to the cold caller in Boiler Room.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 30, 2019

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I love my QA team, I try to be their advocate and ally....but holy poo poo are QA people hopelessly pedantic sometimes.

QA :downs: - We re-tested this feature and it is still failing. Here is a long-rear end list of steps to reproduce.
Me :confused: - Ok, let me take a look.....Ok so I actually expected this, here's a detailed description of the changes I made and why if you look at the data contained in the test user account you provided you can see my code is functioning perfectly, but there is a known bug with setting this attribute we need to get the expected result. The result you see is in line with what will happen with that attribute being set incorrectly. If you manually edit that value you will see the correct result.
:downs: - But the test case says we do X and we need to see Y.
:confused: - Sure, but right now when you do X, Z happens, so you can't see Y because of a different bug. Here is a manual workaround.
:downs: - But....the test case says we do X and need to see Y.
:confused: - Yes, I understand, but there are two bugs here. If you look at the data associated with your test user, the fix to my specific bug works as expected. We shouldn't revert my code again or delay things because of this OTHER bug that has absolutely nothing to do with my code, you can literally verify my code by just adding one more manual step to your process.
:downs: - But the test case says to do X and expect to see Y. I don't see Y.
:confused: - :bang:

As someone who maintains a manufacturing QA software db, (not qa for software)our inspectors only care whether the product meets the specs or not. If the product is not in spec or doesn't provide expected results its flagged.
Its nothing against software/ production, they are just covering their butt.
Example:
I have an inspector who comes to me to verify the spec every time something fails before they flag it.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
This made me chuckle at work today, thought you guys would get a kick out of it too.

We have shelves above where our interns sit.
Above this intern was a box of serial serial cables. I go over there and ask him to pass me the box of serial cables. He hands me the box of fruit loops he was snacking on.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I know network stress tests /security testing are important. But drat they wreak havoc, on industrial 'iot' devices and gateways. I'm hoping today was stress test day. Either that or all 40 devices failed on the same day

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I feel your pain. Ive gone as far as making instructional videos, with any required links on a SharePoint site. There is even a FAQ.Yet instill get asked for instructions

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Speaking of old books... anyone know where I can find the old DoD rainbow series books in physical format? I've always wanted that big red one

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

bobmarleysghost posted:

This triggered me. Our MES frontend is Access and I have dreams of sometimes converting it into a python web app, and then I wake up in a cold sweat.

Have you thought about switching to Igniton?
Its great for MES, and you can dump the data into most SQL Dbs.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
A "Dev" on my scada team is going to be sent to California for training on the newest version of the software. The differences are not major and really only require some trial and error to figure things out.

Everyone else has figured it out or is well on the way. I asked if I could go and was turned down.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Just got back from a weekly team meeting...

In my group, (for simplicitys sake) there are 2 devs, a manager and an upper manger.

We have been working on a data collection/ display project for a production department for the past few months. The other dev was supposed to create a simple forms app for data entry. What does he do? Take a screen shot of what one of the managers created in Flow or some like that and shows it off. He had two weeks to do this.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Assuming American English, the gender of a group is determined by the majority gender of its population.
If the percentage was reversed, and it was 70% female saying "Ladies" would be fine.

In this modern era of PC culture, I have created a new acronym for referring to people as to not offend anyone. If I don't remember it don't know the correct pronoun I use
C.O.D.O.M. (Co-dumb)
This stands for collection of decaying organic matter. No one can deny that they are not a collection of decaying organic matter.

Example: The C.O.D.O.M known as Lowtax started somethingawful.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Raygereio posted:

The buggy, shittastic software for a fancy 10.000,- microscope at my job was updated for the first time in 8 years. When the vendor called to inform us of that earlier this year, I assumed they finally decided to support Win10 and maybe fix some bugs so it doesn't need an autohotkey script to prevent it from crashing.
Nope, they did not move from away from Vista. Instead they apparently added support for USB dongles and told us we could buy new dongles to replace the parallel port ones. :shepicide:

Have you tried using your disaster recovery pc? In a pinch using a pci parallel card and running the software in compatibility mode will work.

As for the dongles I feel your pain.

On a side note I've always thought that serial and parallel devices were not hot swappable. One of our engineers gave me a crazy look when I told them that they needed to shut down the computer before connecting a serial device. What are your thoughts

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 18, 2020

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I think you can swap them as long as you don't have a COM port conflict (make sure that only one app is using it at a time). You can buy switchers, too.

Thanks for the info. For multiple devices we use flexport. My point was it's a measurement device that costs a lot of money. We can spend the extra 2 min, and shut down the computer before messaging with the cables

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If union membership isn't mandatory, I wonder how much trouble you'd have to go through make the union benefits unattractive enough to new hires to prevent them from joining, while firing 10% of the workforce per year for 'bad haircuts' or 'poor performance'.

In "right to work" states its illegal to offer different benefits to union / nonunion

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Right before we were supposed to leave for the day, my team gets an email from a sister facility. They want measurement output from the new device to be the same as the old device. No big deal this can be done with a flexport / gauge box, or through the spc software.
The new engineer doesn't know how to configure the software or reprogram the gauge box.

The software they use is no longer supported by the manufacturer. I haven't used it in two years and no longer have the install discs or fobs. The cherry on top? They are using XP and can't remote in due domain resources.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Phuzun posted:

Asking why the gently caress the low voltage techs installing security and camera systems are using the same loving password at every client, getting push back "it would be to hard for them to document unique passwords on every system and we don't want them to have to resort to using phone apps to look things up in the field".

Are the client internal or external? If they are setting up cameras for external why wouldn't they leave the default login for the customer to change?

Could be worse. We have 3 different video systems at my employer. A milestone, Cisco and some other brand I can't remember the name. Each with it's own software interface

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Currently working on a dashboard to display data on a tv in the production area.
They don't think histograms are useful and would rather see a (stacked) bar chart.
They don't show direct data according to them.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Having to explain to someone how to get com port data output format. This person should know how to do this. After the holidays, I'm tempted to drive the 12hrs so it will be done. I need this format so I can filter out the good data from the useless data. I got this task the same day that someone from my office was leaving their site. That person could have got it done in 10 minutes

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Windows XP machines in 2021...
A lab that has multiple lazer optical measuring devices that cost $10k each somehow didn't think to upgrade their computers.

They are complaining that the new software won't work. Apparently me telling them the new software is 64 bit and xp is 32 bit wasn't enough....

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 24, 2021

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
This wasn't on the device controller, it was on the SPC computer.( Where they input the data to) . That's why I was baffled.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I had to go on 8 hr, trip to sister location. This was planned in advance, they knew I was coming. My contact at the location was out Thursday and Friday. So I could not verify that the items needed had arrived. Monday morning guess what nothing had arrived.

Bonus: none of the industrial electronic supply companies in that city carried rs232 ( serial) cables or head of null modem cables. I had to spell out n-u-l-l modem and c-r-o-s-s-o-v-er cable.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol

It was just enough work to make it miserable but not quite enough work to make it worth breaking quarantine.

It didn't hurt, it just was miserably slow

Usb -> ps2

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Got a request from a different location to help get device data into their data management system (spc)

Two big issues their new device only has controller software no data collection or communication software.

Their new spc software uses Active X and requires IE 6 or less.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Where the hell would I download a legit copy of IE 5.5/6?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

Microsoft used to host Windows VMs with older versions of IE preinstalled, but it looks like they only go back to IE8 now.

Thanks . I was hoping there would be an official MS path. As I don't want to encourage downloading software from non official places.

I'm truly baffled as to how a new soft suite that requires a 20 year old version of IE wouldn't include it. Or why it has that requirement in the first place

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 13, 2021

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I'm deploying data recording software for another location.

They have been given approval to buy what ever hardware I recommend to get the deployment done.

Instrument management boxes that will format everything to the same output. They have boxes, but they are old and not the same as other locations.
" Nope, our boxes work just fine. Why replace them"
I tried to explain by having all the instruments use the same output format, it makes things easier as every output format requires a different template.

I get that nobody likes jerkoffs from another location telling them what to do. But why would you turn down lab upgrades that don't come out of your budget

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Documentation is very important. Especially with iot devices.

Please for the love of Whiskey.

All you need to put in the folder

The pdf manual and a spreadsheet with the device name and IP, and it's physical location
Anything else is appricated.

Signed the guy who has to figure all this stuff today

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

Dropped in here quite a while ago, coming back around. poo poo that pisses me off right now: the same thing as it has for months, this goddamn undocumented software. I've been searching for the manuals for this software for months now, and of course the sole IT guy who understands it won't disclose it because ~job security~.

Just quoting myself over from white whale thread:

I'd really love to not have to keep worsening a strain injury just to do my job but boy is our software doing its best not to cooperate with that idea at all!

Assuming your on a windows machine:
Look at the properties of the terminal icon, to get the fold location of the program.

If it's the IBM terminal software,

C:\users\public\ibm\

Source we use terminal emulator software where I work too.

JDE green screen. On the plant side, we just have dot matrix printers

There is all kinds of documentation. and configuration files
Also explore all the settings for the terminal window.

Also packet sniff when launching the software

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 21, 2021

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I wonder how some people get out of bed.
I had a user complain to the "assistant regional manager" that my program exports data differently than another location, and isn't working with an excel spreadsheet that the other location gave them.

Why were the charts not updating? They were charts exported from Statgraphics....

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

GI_Clutch posted:

"You're already at home. Where do you have to go?"

On a date with your significant other...

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Wibla posted:

Post one-on-one update: getting more support, re-established boundaries about communication, postponing other projects to get my stress levels down, so overall pretty good outcome :toot:

Do you use Ignition or something else?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
You can't measure a the dimensions of a widget two different ways. Just because device A can do 20 measurements and device B can do 17 does not mean you get to switch back and forth

Your options are
1. only measure widgets on device A
2. change the program on A so that B matches.
3. Spend 80k and replace B

But you can't use both.

It's common sense

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 18, 2021

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Why is it that Tableu designers who drag and drop things get to call themselves "analysts"?
My guy needed a specialNamed column the same as the timestamp or else he gets confused.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
They started using CyberArk where I work. I get it, In reality users don't need to be able to install software without permission.

However it also blocks some programs from running.
Net and netstat

I put in a request to get those programs cleared to use. The CyberArk person saw what functions they had and said it was too dangerous. I tried to explain that I couldn't change anything with those command line programs that I couldn't do in the windows.

How does someone who has a support/ security job not know that

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

SUPPLY CHAIN

"How's July sound? No, 2023"

We ordered 3 "office focused" desktops with 8 gigs of ram in March. They arrived today

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
First day of vacation
Getting calls from a VP because a branch is having software issues. They have "tried everything".
I call said branch, get error code. Have the user open the FAQ and search for the code... Magically the solution works. . But I don't need a backup or additional staff.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

KillHour posted:

You're getting comped with another vacation day, right?

Doubtful. Last time this happened, the branch manager bought me a bottle of Johnny Blue

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I'm truly shocked I have to explain to people that,
work in a lab that having their data tracking program ignore zero values, causes our process and data integrity to be put into question.

All they have to do is remove the points they are not measured and problem solved.

I'm not going to compromise our data integrity because it will cause the lab to do a minute of extra work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Gatac posted:

0 or NULL values? Be sure to have a pedantic discussion about the meaning of NULL (Irrelevant to this case? Not measured? Input outside of permissible range?) with the stakeholders, they love that. Then get all validation stuff nailed down up front and protect your table with either a shitton of constraints or only allowing insertion through a table API that validates the data according to those rules. Better to have bad data fail right away on Insertion than have it gently caress up your processes down the line.

Those are good points thank you.

Zeros (0)

The default value of the form is zero as some measurements use functions based on other measurements. As the points are entered, the function updates. So if non number values are entered an error is thrown immediately.
Using try/ except for functions resulted in too many issues. To track properly.

I ended up doing a zero value confirmation. If they don't want to remove unused points , they get to confirm or deny them.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 12, 2022