Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

cat does the same thing cat does in this instance. So in essence you are running cat twice.

:psyduck:

I assume one of those is supposed to be grep but it it "cat does the same thing as grep" or "grep does the same thing as cat"?

I like lurking this thread because I pick up the odd bit of useful info for my completely non-related job. We are a small office that doesn't have anyone to do IT, or rather we do but he is an old radio engineer so he set up our network with as many cheap D-Link 5 port switches as he needed. I get to stare longingly at what real infrastructure set up by more competent people might look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

Also most places don't lock the help menu down because it's a valid resource. During lab finals for windows server administration help was completely available and encouraged. Open google was allowed by some professors. You'll be able to google at work, if you can figure in the time allowed who cares how you got the answer.

Frankly, knowing how to filter out the unrelated/crap answers is probably more important than having such a vast personal knowledgebase as to come up with a solution to whatever.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
My bank password was 11 minutes, so I stepped that up to a million years. SA is 290 undecillion years. That said, I have it stored in plain text in a file that doesn't associate it with anything related to this site, so it isn't quite as secure as it could be.

And the password that controls virtually everything in my company would be a day. Or, you know, just look for one of the many sticky notes around the building on which it is prominently written.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

then there's the opposite problem.

Oh we don't want to move from Server2003 because it still works.

Heck, I am in the middle of moving our entire system from a hodgepodge of dells/HP's running various versions of BSD and Linux to 6 brand new Dells with Baracuda firewalls, two 6TB SANs with dual power supplies, CentOS7, and Astricks13Lts from 1.4.

:feelsgood:

We have employees younger than our accounting software.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

What's a good way to tell management "Jane over in accounting has no clue how to use any program on a computer. She can't print, she can't do anything in Excel, she has no idea what a font size is, I'm not going to let her monopolize the helpdesk until she gets training on Windows, Outlook Excel, and Word"

I get this sort of Computer Usage 101 stuff all day (though I am not IT) so I generally just tell the person I don't know then wish them good luck. You could try that, though you may not get as far.

For reals though, make a point to tell your manager that you are off to Jane's desk again. "Yeah boss, off to there again. She said something about fonts, I think she doesn't know how to change them for her email signature I guess? I'll go check it out, she calls a lot, nice enough lady, just don't seem to have a grasp on much of anything here. Did you know last week she had to call me because she didn't know how to type a question mark? How is that even possible, right? Anyway, I'll be down there for about half an hour I guess, she always has a lot of questions."

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Clearly KSP is just an academic exercise in what things could be like on a round planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Escape trajectory would be pretty simple, just roll off the edge.

Probably crash the program trying to simulate what happens next though. It's nothing but NaN down there.

I've always spelled it "turtles" but your way is cool too.