Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Oh it's just that the remaining person in HR has been fired/quit. I was asked to deactivate her account and that is all I know.

Given that we are 6 months out from my boss quitting with no replacement in sight (a part-time consultant is filling in), this does not bode well at all. The turnover we have here is tremendous, and they couldn't even keep up when we did have an HR department.

That sounds pretty terminal, hope you are applying for other jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sirotan posted:

If I knew what was good for me, yeah I probably should. It's starting to feel like rats fleeing the sinking ship around here.

I got my current job by complaining to my friends that I wasn't making any money at my previous job. Despite that, I was actively sending my resume to places so when this opportunity came up I was able to send my resume to my buddy as soon as he mentioned the job. If work is draining, it's hard to go home and get this crap together but do your resume up and start looking at linkedin for new jobs and at least you won't feel as hopeless as you watch stuff going down the tubes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Today, I'm mad that I can't just apply for a job with a cover letter email linking to my CV on my personal domain.

Or at least everyone seems to think that I'm super weird for wanting to do so.

If you make it to the "serious consideration" stage, your resume will often be printed out for discussion between HR drone and IT manager in whatever board room they utter their vile spells in

PDF

mewse
May 2, 2006

I got really upset at my last job when my boss didn't listen to me when I told him that the programmer we hired was basically incompetent. Instead of letting the guy go during the probationary period, he ended up cutting him loose like a year later, I did a "told you so" and my boss said "you should've been more vocal". I quit that job a few months later

mewse
May 2, 2006

nitrogen posted:

I just had a network engineer ask me for source/destination ip addresses for a DHCP/PXEboot problem...

Ack

mewse
May 2, 2006

ClamAV for windows is worse than nothing, it can false positive on system files and hose the system. Use security essentials and plead ignorance if someone tells you it's only licensed for non-commercial.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I found some brand new shrink wrapped copies of DOS 6.22 a couple weeks ago :allears:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Once pay starts getting late you're past the point you have to get out

mewse
May 2, 2006

skooky posted:

One of our larger customers has had memory errors over 3 years for a particular slot on an 8 year old server and have just now decided to log the issue as a "high severity" case. Replaced a DIMM, memory error came back, no biggie, we'll replace the mobo as that's literally the only other part we can replace. Customer incident manager comes back with a long-winded email with these choice quotes.

:shepicide:

The fact that he wants a written assurance from you is fine, but the fact that he's functionally illiterate is not. Also the fact that he seems to be stringing computer words together without any idea how they relate to each other (Mother board! Corruption! Operating system! Firmware! Inaccessible dive!)

Send a photo of a pear looking at a youtube video covering motherboard replacement

mewse
May 2, 2006

nitrogen posted:

Can someone explain to me why people that infect their orgs with cryptolocker aren't immediately fired?

Hearing so many stories about how companies are getting multiple infections (sometimes from the same person) and I hear people spending so much energy on preventing infections instead of terminating employees who are too stupid to follow some simple security rules? I guarantee if people started getting canned over stupidity that is required to infect with cryptolocker, it'd probably do wonders.

As the old guard retires there will probably be increasing computer literacy expected of staff, but it is going to be a long slog

mewse
May 2, 2006

computer parts posted:

Computer stupidity is a career thing, not an age thing.

It's definitely an age thing. Boomers weren't expected to know how to use a computer because the PC revolution happened when they were already middle aged. Right now, the 60yo department head isn't going to lose his job for being computer illiterate, because his job is building widgets, not how to use email. As we go forward, these people age out and the excuses for destroying a network will become much less accepted. A baseline of computer literacy will be more strongly enforced.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Misogynist posted:

It's cool, we'll be just as incompetent in something new that we don't understand once we get up there in years.

Becoming this scares me more than literally anything else in the world.

It's not that bad, I don't "get" twitter and I'm only 31

mewse
May 2, 2006

spog posted:

In parent's attic:

Oh hello old HP inkjet, nice to see you again. You served us well, but we bought a new scanner/printer and so you got put into storage (fcuk HP and their policy of not providing Win7 drivers for older scanners)'

It's been a year and I might as well dump you. On the way down the newly-carpet stairs, I notice that it's leaving a trail of black ink. Lots of it.

I don't get it. When it was new, the two main characteristics it had were:

1) ink cartidges that hold only a teaspoon of ink
2) ink that dries solid within 2 weeks of opening.

How is it that something that has been in an uninsulated attic for 2 years manages to make such a mess?

It's the final "gently caress you" from a hated piece of technology

mewse
May 2, 2006

guppy posted:

I called one of my users to follow up on something from earlier in the week; his secretary answered, as expected. She immediately launched into a description of her problem. If you are now confused, you know how I felt. I didn't know she had a problem, she didn't call me or ask if she could ask me a question while I was on the phone, and I had called about something completely unrelated. She began describing her hitherto-unknown problem -- that she didn't know how to use a Word feature, basically -- before I could actually tell her why I'd called.

Not really an issue, and I was able to help her, but seems awfully rude.

The words "While you're here" are pretty deadly

mewse
May 2, 2006

quote:

simple, built-in audio solutions like iTunes

Yes, iTunes is what I think of when I think about simple, built-in audio solutions

mewse
May 2, 2006

PC load letter? What the gently caress does that mean?!

We were discussing having a piņata for the kids at our Xmas party and someone suggested stringing up a printer for the adults

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volmarias posted:

It's like a Piņata, except that instead of breaking it open to shower sweets everywhere and give all the children stomachaches, breaking it open will shower toner everywhere and give all the adults cancer!

:toot:

To be fair, everybody loves cancer

:confuoot:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ghost Cow Goes Boo posted:

My manager hired a guy to a senior developer position without consulting the lead or anyone else in the team, and skipped giving him our standard written test because he was "so good he would have been insulted". Flash forward two weeks and SURPRISE! Guy doesn't know poo poo. Now I'm spending half my days explaining C#/PHP 101 to a guy who's supposed to have 6 years experience and has been hired as at least my equal. Our probationary contracts mean we can ditch him whenever we want, but that won't happen because it would show my manager up for the idiot he is.

Newbie also drools when concentrating and won't answer his phone unless prompted. I don't know how none of this came up in interview.

Push hard to get this guy out during the probationary period. Things will only get worse.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

VLC lets me use the mouse wheel to turn the volume up to 200%. Media Player Classic lets me click anywhere on screen to pause or unpause video.

Why can't I just have both!? "Okay you want to watch that movie? Just let me set up WinAutoHotkey so we can both hear the quiet parts and pause on a moment's notice to discuss things."

I know that wireless keyboards are things that exist but i like just using a mouse or something like logitech touch mouse. I shouldn't have to bring more to the couch.

First world problems.

Most people use the volume controls on their TV and a wireless keyboard like the logitech K400

mewse
May 2, 2006

Humphreys posted:

Wow, I think it is a cardinal sin to cut ANY type of cabling directly at the connector. Always leave enough cable for future emergency usage *just in case*

:confused: Those things will never, ever get re-used in any respectable capacity

mewse
May 2, 2006

I always change my search direction to "Up" and it never finds anything :confused:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Earl of Lavender posted:

I think Notepad searched up/down from where you've set the cursor in the file, rather than from where in the file you're looking, which might explain that.

I was joking about the autistic help desk assistant that screenshotted the exact steps required to find a substring

mewse
May 2, 2006

This grep is half a meg

e: and the dependencies are 0.9MB :ughh:

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse
May 2, 2006

Simpleboo posted:

Also, the patch panel looks something like this http://imgur.com/38ZjVPF

You can tell what everything is because the cables are color coded :downs:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Ahahaha. Uh, wow. Will it let me know if I'm being too hysterical because it's 'that time of the month', too?

It will direct you to request a slap from the nearest man to straighten you out

mewse
May 2, 2006

Humphreys posted:

I don't know where you are but there was a good citrus based cleaner I used to use that works wonders on tape adhesives. I'm thinking "orangeX" but can't bring find anything on google for it.

EDIT: Fixed for grammar etc.

Goo gone

mewse
May 2, 2006

jim truds posted:

I had the best and worst review. Apparently I am amazing, go above and beyond my job, but I do not have enough experience so I can not be promoted. I do the work of a help desk lead but it can't be my title. I am so sick of this sort of poo poo.

:smith:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Development server is down. In the middle of working on it we started getting "Welcome to nginx" messages (we use Apache) and FTP, RDP was all broken. We called the hosting company, they're working on it and now the server is down. I'm torn between how I want to bet: either they've gotten confused, wiped and installed nginx, or someone has been loving around with nameservers and they didn't know what they were doing.

They probably assigned your ip to a new server accidentally

mewse
May 2, 2006

Powdered Toast Man posted:

How can I convince my boss that in the real world, sometimes Windows is necessary (in our case, we have Windows client machines that aren't going away for various reasons), and trying to kludge something with OpenLDAP or Samba4 to replace Active Directory is a bad idea? :shepface:

If you put Windows in the server room then you have to deal with CALs. Using a cloud provider would be a much better idea than doing some homebrew cowboy poo poo with half baked Linux software

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volmarias posted:

So, on the subject of the Penny-Arcade style of recruiting... (click to embiggen)

We want someone who will do everything for us but we're not going to pay them accordingly and they have to have a healthy disrespect for authority. Only the strong survive

mewse
May 2, 2006

Caged posted:

Obviously you should disrespect authority right up to the point where we tell you to do something.

"If any of the offices or 11 pubs need help, you need to help NOW."

mewse
May 2, 2006

TWBalls posted:

Someone dropped an iPad 2 on my desk.

Place on shelf and ask your director about it? Nobody asked you to do anything yet

mewse
May 2, 2006

rolleyes posted:

A pardon is a cynical publicity stunt

Decrying a good gesture for having ulterior motives, and not going far enough, isn't cynical?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Caged posted:

install XP SP1 and then turn off Windows Update, "so it can't slow down again".

What could possibly go wrong

mewse
May 2, 2006

guppy posted:

I would have serious reservations about hiring a developer who didn't write this as a loop :haw:

But then you'd have lines of code generated rather than written, which would prove your total inferiority as a programmer

mewse
May 2, 2006

Asking for your previous salary, or previous 3 salaries, is completely asinine.

However, asking for your salary expectation isn't unfair, it's just part of a bargaining process.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I can wear jeans in my office only on Friday's and only if I pay $2* to buy this dumb sticker. It's "optional" but if you don't do it our new VP comes around with a pack of stickers and peer pressures you into buying one. The price went up from $1 on the first of the year so I've decided to just stop paying and wait for the inevitable confrontation I'm going to have with her.

*The money goes to a charity so maybe it makes me a miser to not pay. But sorry, I feel incredibly underpaid as it is, I'm not giving you $104 of my money to wear jeans.

This is nuts. I can see casual friday as a good idea because it can feel burdensome to dress up every day, so you get 1 day as a reprieve. It doesn't make logical sense why management would tolerate their workers looking like slobs on 1 day of the week but none of the others, but whatever. I can see it as good for morale.

But taking casual friday and attaching a fee to it? Is the idea that you'll let your staff dress down but don't want to encourage it or anything? Oh, it's for charity? gently caress you.

It's one of those things that is screwing with people for no reason.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Send a company-wide memo reminding people that it's against company policy for staff to urinate on their ties

e: or clarify that just because it's not specifically mentioned in the employee handbook, it is still forbidden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

H1KE posted:

The weight was because it was plugged into an ancient [late 90's at best], dust covered, D-Link 8-port hub

This is like finding King Tut's tomb except instead of a solid gold sarcophagus you discover a mind blistering item of incompetence. I wouldn't even be mad.