Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
DICE hit it out of the park again with their audio work. The sound effects are amazing and really add a lot to the game for me. Though I won't be playing the beta too much, I'm glad to see they went all out in that realm again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I thought you could accept/decline revives, or maybe I am getting confused with planetside 2.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Orv posted:

While I agree on the carrier points, I haven't enjoyed the map since 1942 (and maybe not even then) because it was the premier "Ain't got a vehicle? Get hosed" map. You get to run from wherever you spawn to a point, and then get bombed/tanked/strafed/rocketed/whatever. Rinse repeat.

It definitely sucked in 1942 if there were good pilots in the air. Not quite as bad as the BF2 iteration but still pretty poo poo.

The only ground-based AA in 1942 were those Bofors turrets. They had significant blindspots and of course were stationary. So true skygods worthy of the name memorized their locations on each map and knew how to approach and bomb them with almost no risk to themselves. Fun times.

folgore fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 5, 2013

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Alehkhs posted:

For interested parties, here is the official Battlefield 4 Main Theme.

For comparison, here is the official Battlefield 3 Main Theme.

The new theme kinda sucks. Not that it matters, because it hardly plays in-game anyway, like BF3.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

SaucyLoggins posted:

Ever since BC2 Rush is the only game mode I truly enjoy. The game seems way better then BF3 but I won't be able to tell for sure until I get a good Rush game in. The spawning system coupled with the netcode added on top of the open area of Conquest just makes it really frustrating experience at times. Rush alleviates a lot of the problems of modern BF in that it creates a much more head on fight with lines of resistance. I find it pretty odd actually that anyone actually likes Conquest. If they defaulted the main game to just squad leader spawning and beacons it would be so much better. Area would get cleared out and you'd know they were clear. You wouldn't get so many situations where one guy turns into five guys in an area instantly.

It depends on what you play BF for. Rush funnels teams into those predictable lines of resistance, and in doing so removes a lot of the gameplay that makes this series unique imo. I get the appeal of it, and DICE does too, which is why these games have gotten faster paced with each iteration (I also attribute the current spawn system to that "zero downtime between fights" design mentality).

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Enigma89 posted:

So as someone who likes more slower paced 'tactical shooters' is this game worth a shot or is it a very CODesque type of game?

I played BF2 for years and never went to BF3 because I did not see Project Reality or Forgotten Hope get ported over.

I don't know if I am just becoming a bitter old man but I am getting burnt out of all the twitch shooters.

You probably won't like it. Try ARMA or Red Orchestra.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

MrBims posted:

All that is great except for the 60% health. :(

I agree with this pretty much. Can't stand the faster time-to-kill, I think the default is perfect, but the other features interest me. I figure I'm SOL though, because "more lethal guns" has been the defining feature of hardcore since it was invented in COD4.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I remember a goon here had a cartoon as his avatar. It featured a Chinese soldier lounging on the beaches of Wake Island, cocktail in hand, while a J10 rained fiery death on the US carrier spawn in the background. That map in a nutshell.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
It's nice to ride around in a tank or IFV when no one has unlocked C4 yet. Happy times.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Pryor on Fire posted:

C4 is part of the default recon loadout.

I figured it had to be unlocked because I've been able to drive into groups of infantry and gun them down with impunity, haha.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Breaking the levee and flooding Flood Zone actually makes it a considerably worse map. Levelution :negative:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

ragzilla posted:

Breaking the levee turns the map into an RCB paradise, your opinion is bad and you should feel bad :colbert:.

What's an RCB?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

nickmeister posted:

Does the PC version look anything like the PS4/One versions of the game? As oppose to the current gen?

I don't think you can get an accurate answer to this question until the new consoles come out and people are able to do side-by-side comparisons. Though I don't see why the PC version with everything maxed out would somehow look worse than the next gen ports.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Erata posted:

(your stat recording resets if you rejoin a server, so late rejoining means far less rank up! YIKES!)

Do you have proof of this? I know that your place on the scoreboard gets wiped if you rejoin, but I assumed your stats saved from the previous session anyway.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

zipzilchzero posted:

poo poo. I had to go and get another Battlefield knowing it just ends up being so fun an frustrating at the same time. I don't understand why progression isn't saved at least to the same server. I've already lost about half of my points to random crashing over about 4 hours.

So does anyone else run into a similar error where the game freezes and loops about a half second of sound? It always seems to happen in the middle of a fight or maybe just before I'm hit. I can't minimize but the task manager ends the process easily.

I'm also getting a problem since the beta. Upon reloading the game the resolution changes to something like 1280x720 and wont change until you switch it to a different mode.

A lot of people are getting the sound loop crash, myself included. The only pattern I've noticed is that it seems to only happen on certain maps (Railroad and Shanghai for me), dunno if it's a map issue or something server related.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Well if anyone is wondering, the canister shot for MBTs sucks hard, just use one of the MGs if you want to kill infantry.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Mr.Citrus posted:

That's disappointing to hear. Is the 50 cal worth using over the default?

It's hard to say. I only used it once but wasn't really wowed by it. It doesn't seem to kill infantry noticeably faster, the ROF is pretty low.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

The mag dumping thing when you reload is stupid, of all the things to bring back from BF2 why this.

I think it's cool, but I doubt it's intentional. DICE will probably patch it so it's not the default setting.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Flannelette posted:

This is beautiful, not only was this fixed in BF3, the tank in the single player has this upgrade and it doesn't block the sight. :dice:

I didn't get that issue when I used the HMG. Dunno what the deal is.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

calusari posted:

Having a lot of fun and luckily my game only crashes between map changes. Playing engineer mostly and the MBT Law is completely useless. In the Beta engineers started out with the RPG and it could actually blow up vehicles.

The advantage of the LAW is that you don't really have to aim it and it reloads really fast. Totally unavoidable damage for any vehicle you are shooting at.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm pretty terrible at this game- except for IFVs, which I'm somehow pretty good at. Trip report:

• Canister shells suck. AP shells are good for hunting medium armor.
  • TOW missile is pretty good
  • Reactive and Thermal armor are great
  • How the hell do I use my gunner sensor system?
  • Not sold on thermal optics because I'm a bad and don't know how to use them

I like hunting boats with an IFV on the smaller maps. Grab AP shells and then make them eat TOW missiles between reloads.

I think the thermal optics actually make it harder to see poo poo. Not really worth using over zoom.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

all apologies posted:

Noticed atleast for me, that if I get a crash and I DONT rejoin the server and wait for the map to end I get the points. If you rejoin you will not get the points you earned.

No, you still get all your XP/stats as long as the server doesn't crash before the round ends. If you rejoin you start back at 0 only for purposes of the scoreboard/battlelog.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Do the APFSDS-T Shell for IFVs do extra vehicle damage or do they just have better range and higher muzzle velocity?

Also, do the Zuni rockets even do damage to any to MBTs? Because I've gotten behind a MBT or two and unloaded all my rockets into it only for it to not take any damage at all, I'm not if that's intentional or server lag telling me to go gently caress myself.

I just did some really basic testing in the range because Symthic hasn't posted any vehicle stats yet. As far as I can tell, APFSDS-T does do more damage compared to HE. It took just under 3 full magazines to destroy an IFV with the former, while the latter took almost 4 (shooting the front armor). Also, the Zunis do damage tanks. I fired one at an empty friendly tank and it seemed to do 9 damage from the front. I think.

For MBTs, if anyone is curious, the HE shell seems to do the most armor damage.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

BadLlama posted:

Do you mean HEAT? HE doing the most armor damage is ridiculously :dice:

They call it HE in-game but I guess it's supposed to be HEAT, I dunno. Either way, it does more damage than the default AP round and the final sabot unlock.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Eej posted:

PDWs suddenly got fun when I unlocked the PP-2000 and played some Rush. Man, now I want to unlock the old UMP-45 to see how that handles in this game.

I long for the PP-2000 of BC2. Memories...

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Question about the staff and canister shell: do they work like the canister shell in BF3 originally did where you can fire a normal shell, switch weapons and immediately be able to fire the secondary shell? Or do they work like the alternate tank rounds in BF3 work now?

They share reload times. Also, canister shot is garbage this time, don't even bother.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Bohemian Nights posted:

Are you crazy? While useless against anything not paper-armored, the new canister shot is absolutely amazing against infantry. The thing has no bullet drop, and is basically the canister shell shotgun railgun of BF3's past, albeit with reduced damage and a fukken magazine to boot. I love it.

I will try it again, but the few times I did, it wouldn't one-shot infantry at any respectable range. Maybe I was aiming bad.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah, it is no longer a OHK, but then, neither is any of the other main cannons on the IFV- but, as opposed to the others, this one is deadly to infantry at pretty much any range. I use it with thermal, and if the thermal image loads on my screen, they're close enough to hit.
It's not quite as deadly as it was in BF3's glory days of canistering, but it compensates with the way increased fire rate and magazine size, so the reduced damage isn't that much of an issue.

Oh, I'm talking about the MBT secondary canister shot, not the IFV main cannon one.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't suppose there's a way to hack singleplayer so you don't have to play it? Without getting banned of course

Someone posted a save file earlier in the thread that worked for me. All the missions are unlocked, so if you just want to M249 or whatever you just have to do the last level and make your Choices.

https://mega.co.nz/#!VIJVSCCT!Zsb9UBZGMsTHZpGJKxgxw2lsKz4W9txcnpc6D3uek44

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

BIFF! posted:

What's the best shell to use on the MBTs?

I just use HE because it does the most damage to other vehicles. Its drawbacks (lots of drop, slower speed?) can be nullified with enough practice. It's crap against infantry, but I feel like all the shells are, so whatever.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
"We will be restarting the server after this round." Ok, so I stick around and play for a 30 minute match of Zavod, like a loving moron. The match ends, I watch my score tally up, and then they take the server down. Round forgotten by battlelog. Because I guess stats aren't saved when a match actually ends, but when the next map starts loading.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Well, the match had definitely ended, it must just not happen instantly.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Liberatore posted:

Use Sabot shells and never look back. As far as I can tell, they can get pin point accuracy at up to around 150-200 meters. They also ignore Active Protection. Makes tank duels a joke, and you can snipe infantry with it.

It's amusing how many tank drivers use AP/HE without realizing that it's really not going to help them against infantry at all. Main gun splash damage against infantry is way too low for that to matter; Get direct hits or don't bother.

HE actually does the most damage to vehicles, that's why I run it.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
The spawn system in this game is great. I spawned on a flag in Zavod and it put me literally beneath an enemy IFV that roadkilled me instantly.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

RBA Starblade posted:

Zavod is one of the worst maps in any game I've played. Just got done with one where the other team drove the rocket artillery to their spawn point and used it to cover them taking the roofs above B and C. We lost by 40 because pubbies don't understand the concept of defense but it was inevitable because there's no loving way to get anyone off that roof.

It's a pretty good map when no one does that with the rocket artillery. Unfortunately people are catching on and I see it more and more, though. DICE are absolute morons for letting that thing have the range to fire from the uncaps. It's completely untouchable.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

comatose posted:

I get angry at my own teams AA when the shitbird driving it is parked in or just outside our base. The thing is a beast and should be out there with your armour shooting everything that moves not cowering in the safe zone because "MY KDR :qq:".

I don't think it's even a kdr thing, the MAA just tricks people into thinking they're being effective because it isn't that hard to harass aircraft from anywhere on most maps, even like 10 yards outside of the uncap. Same thing happened in BF3 before AA was nerfed into wet blanket territory. Also see recons that try to snipe people from across the map.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Kibayasu posted:

And while the MAA isn't as effective as the pre-nerf BF3 MAA, if you slap the 30mm cannon and Zuni rockets onto it it can still kill infantry right alongside the IFV's. I don't think I'll ever get used to using the 30mm as an AA cannon though, except against aircraft flying low and slow for some reason in which case you'll kill them nearly instantly, but otherwise its a pretty great anti-infantry tank. Really, even just Zuni rockets is enough for infantry and light AT work and you'll still be able to kill or force away any aircraft in your range with the 20mm.

Active radar missiles still seem pretty overpowered so I can't justify using anything else. It more than makes up for the 30mm being slightly less effective vs. aircraft, and the 30mm is all you need against infantry.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

OneEightHundred posted:

What happened is two things: First, DICE changed the threshold for switching teams, in previous installments the other team had to be down by 1 player, now you can switch if they're as much as up 1 player, AND team switches are silent, so people sneak over to the winning team constantly and clan-stack like crazy.

Second, when you join a server, you get assigned to the team with fewer players, and usually the team with fewer players is the one that people are bailing out of because it's doing terribly, while the people on the winning team stick around for many rounds. Very few servers are running scramble mods right now.

Eventually, the churn from new players coming in and people on the winning team getting bored will even things out, followed by a mass exodus of people on the formerly-winning team the first time it loses and people realize their win streak has ended, but that takes a while. If you see one loss, expect many more.

Basically, if you hate being put on the losing team, then there are only really three options: Wait it out (for a long time), change servers, or do what everyone else is doing these days and make your own luck with the Switch Team button.

There are actually a decent amount of conquest servers with team balance enabled. No reason to play without it if you're solo, really.

e: unless team balance just balances numbers instead of scrambling every round, which it probably does. disregard this post

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Kool MBT setup for slaughtering other ground vehicles: sabot, STAFF, autoloader

You can fire the main cannon then switch to the STAFF and fire it off almost immediately. Other tanks and IFVs will lose really fast 1v1. Sabot can be replaced with HE, but it's so much easier to shoot down helicopters with the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Is there a reason the game client takes so long to close when I leave a server? It seems to be loading something, but why? It's faster for me to open task manager and end process rather than wait for it by itself.

• Locked thread