Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

The crash in Shanghai is super weird to me since it was the beta map and ran perfectly a few days in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
The M2 slams are a ton of fun; if you haven't used them yet, you should.
You can slap them on a vehicle that isn't occupied and when somebody gets in and starts driving they'll just randomly explode, you can leave them on the ground in something like rush and get a half dozen kills each time a full LAV runs over one, put it on a vehicle that actually has people in it, and it will blow up in like 15-20 seconds, the possibilities are endless.
You get three to start out with, and can have 6 deployed at once with the anti-tank field upgrade.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I ran into a brand new, bizarre (if harmless) bug. I don't think anyone's reported weirdness with the text yet:

After a revive, seemingly random letters appeared dimmed and blurred out. While harmless it was definitely a bit annoying and, well, has a definite novelty compared to the usual crashing.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I suck so bad in jets. If someone gets on my rear end I can never manage to shake them off so far. :smith:

Call Me Cismale
Oct 23, 2013

by Fistgrrl

keyframe posted:

I suck so bad in jets. If someone gets on my rear end I can never manage to shake them off so far. :smith:

Maybe its a console thing but I feel like theres so much less room to manuever and set up runs this time around. I feel like I spend half my time getting back inbounds.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

keyframe posted:

Turn at 313 as usual, though you're dealing with an added challenge - only one of the jet types (attack) is useful, while the stealth jet provides a gimped hard mode that's totally ineffective at air-to-ground and mostly ineffective at air-to-air. It gets some decent missiles that you can use to damage enemy aircraft; unfortunately in the time it took you to do that, an attack jet could've just shot them down.

I've unlocked almost everything for the stealth jet and even the 30mm cannon doesn't make them worth using in even the pure air-to-air role.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Call Me Cismale posted:

Maybe its a console thing but I feel like theres so much less room to manuever and set up runs this time around. I feel like I spend half my time getting back inbounds.

Yea jets have actual momentum in this game unlike bf3's jets where you could pretty much stall and turn on a dime.

The map border seems a bit small for jet gameplay as well, I keep running out of bounds when trying to gain some distance for a attack run.

But holy poo poo flying a Jet/Chopper in Paracel Storm during the storm phase is amazing. :swoon:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Why do people hate on the RFB? I had a few pretty good rounds with it just now, last one went 29-14 on Dawnbreaker with it. Threw on an ACOG, canted ironsight, AFG and it's pretty legit.

Call Me Cismale
Oct 23, 2013

by Fistgrrl
I NEVER sniped in BF3 but for some reason I'm addicted to it now ACOG/canted sight for CSLR4. Can't put my finger on why it became fun (even if using a carbine/etc is more efficient).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I love the Stinger. So, so very much.

Eat poo poo, helicopters.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Vasudus posted:

I love the Stinger. So, so very much.

Eat poo poo, helicopters.

There is just something magical about disabling a chopper and watching them crash into a building.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lazyfire posted:

I was playing mostly as engineer and support so my killing power felt pretty reduced with those starting weapons. Pubbies are still amazingly dense, but I've seen precious few snipers, it seems like engineers are the order of the day at the moment.

I know everyone is making GBS threads all over it, but do the campaign and kill Irish so you get the M249. It's unbelievable in all situations-properly set up, you'll be dropping entire squads with ammo left over for whoever wanders near the noise. Silenced, it's a ridiculous killing machine if you flank even a little-no one will know where you are until they're dead. It's a bit jittery in full auto, but 3-round bursts at range are perfectly controllable.

Also, 200 rounds means you can hose down scout helos any time you want. In 3 rounds, I'm up to 5 wiped out LB's :black101:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

keyframe posted:

Yea jets have actual momentum in this game unlike bf3's jets where you could pretty much stall and turn on a dime.

The map border seems a bit small for jet gameplay as well, I keep running out of bounds when trying to gain some distance for a attack run.

But holy poo poo flying a Jet/Chopper in Paracel Storm during the storm phase is amazing. :swoon:

I've seen a countless number of other jets on my minimap able to just spin in the same spot as I'm trying to get behind them. There is absolutely no way to break a circle fight and once you try to break off he instantly kills you. Try to break off then reengage goes back into a circle fight but he gets a chance to disable you.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
PDWs suddenly got fun when I unlocked the PP-2000 and played some Rush. Man, now I want to unlock the old UMP-45 to see how that handles in this game.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Eej posted:

PDWs suddenly got fun when I unlocked the PP-2000 and played some Rush. Man, now I want to unlock the old UMP-45 to see how that handles in this game.

That is what I am working towards as well. The first engineer gun is pretty much the worst gun in the history of FPS games. I don't know how I managed to get enough kills with that pos to unlock carbines, but it wasn't fun.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Eej posted:

I long for the PP-2000 of BC2. Memories...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

folgore posted:

The advantage of the LAW is that you don't really have to aim it and it reloads really fast. Totally unavoidable damage for any vehicle you are shooting at.

I'm actually curious is that function where it hits the top even based on...anything in reality? I looked up the MBT LAW on wiki and no mention of anything so much as laser guiding

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

keyframe posted:

That is what I am working towards as well. The first engineer gun is pretty much the worst gun in the history of FPS games. I don't know how I managed to get enough kills with that pos to unlock carbines, but it wasn't fun.

I actually found it to be not that bad with a red dot or similar sight, but the irons on that thing are brutal.

TRAMAMPOLINE
Dec 15, 2012

how good is this game? should i buy a computer so i can play it?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

fookolt posted:

What 24/7 map should I play if I just want to get into a meat grinder that lets me quickly level up my guns like a huge loving moron? It used to be Nosehair Canals TDM, but I have no idea what to look for this time.

Honestly I've found that Obliteration maps are pretty good since they last forever and people tend to cluster in certain spots. gently caress Floodzone though I don't know why people like that map. gently caress Floodzone for life

TRAMAMPOLINE posted:

how good is this game? should i buy a computer so i can play it?

No. Despite my bitching I've had some fun sessions but it's still unstable enough that tech specs aren't even necessarily the cause

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shima Honnou posted:

I actually found it to be not that bad with a red dot or similar sight, but the irons on that thing are brutal.

You basically need red dot to get kills with an MX-4 but the PP-2000 does just fine with irons because you're not killing anyone at a range where irons are useless anyway.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I actually think the mx 4 is fine but then I haven't unlocked any thing else yet. Also, doesn't it start with a red dot? I can't remember using irons on it?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Eej posted:

You basically need red dot to get kills with an MX-4 but the PP-2000 does just fine with irons because you're not killing anyone at a range where irons are useless anyway.

Are you kidding? My PP-2000 build has a 3.4x on it and I tap fire my way to victory.

In other news SAR-21 with IRNV is still real hot poo poo. It's amazing for taking out infantry at any range. They somehow made the perfect IRNV scope that has a real nice range and the further out you go the more fuzzy the image gets. I have a red dot laser because when that hits targets it lights them up bright for me.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ularg posted:

I've seen a countless number of other jets on my minimap able to just spin in the same spot as I'm trying to get behind them. There is absolutely no way to break a circle fight and once you try to break off he instantly kills you. Try to break off then reengage goes back into a circle fight but he gets a chance to disable you.

You have two options in a furball like that. If you slow down a bit you will have a tighter turn. Slowdown too much and you will turn too slow though. There's a point for the two jets where you have the best ratio and if you do that you can usually catch the other guy since few people slow down.

Alternatively if you punch it to 11 you will be circling faster and can sometimes catch him. Whatever the enemy is doing do the opposite. If he's hitting the afterburner slow down and whip around. In most dogfights people just hold a turn as tight as possible. Take advantage of where the enemy is going to be and don't forget you move in 3d. Don't forgot you just need to get behind him so don't just make straight rings to try to catch him. Use loops and immelmanns to take advantage of a 3d turn.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm actually curious is that function where it hits the top even based on...anything in reality? I looked up the MBT LAW on wiki and no mention of anything so much as laser guiding

Kinda, yeah. The MBT LAW launches a guided missile that will overfly the target and detonate on top of it. Although it does have the option for a direct hit.

Unfortunately, in BF4 there's no advantage to getting top hits, so you actually just end up doing either slightly more damage or significantly less damage depending on the angle of attack. Although the launcher does make a decent weapon against boats, the mobile artillery truck and most transport vehicles.

Jippa posted:

I actually think the mx 4 is fine but then I haven't unlocked any thing else yet. Also, doesn't it start with a red dot? I can't remember using irons on it?

Yeah it does. Same with the AK-12 and the U-100.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 2, 2013

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

So have the updates started now? It kicked me out of the training grounds so I guess you get kicked out of everything while its updating.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I'm guessing so, I just got dropped from a server and now can't connect to anything.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Did they reduce the RPG damage significantly since beta? I don't seem to be doing much more with it than the LAW which has added ease of use.

Also - it seems like to me that my Boost remaining time doesn't count down when being Commander but I still get the benefit at the end of the round, I'm thinking I might play around with this a bit more when I use my 100% boost, I'm only using up my 25% so far.

Indra
Nov 25, 2005
Where are my pants?
Yep, just as i unlocked the SRAW and got my first Engi service star :(
I've had at least 10 server hangs today alone, i'm getting used to watching people run in mid air.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The servers are actually supposed to be offline right now, if you can believe it.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

VodeAndreas posted:

Did they reduce the RPG damage significantly since beta? I don't seem to be doing much more with it than the LAW which has added ease of use.

The thing about the RPG is you really need to get those mobility disables for it to really shine through. If there's only one or two of you against a tank then your only real option is to hit him square in the rear or square in the side. Otherwise (providing the tank driver isn't a complete moron) the chances are you will get gunned down. A 55 damage rear shot with complete mobility loss to the vehicle spells death to that tank and that's where the RPG more than anything else is most effective. The only reason you should be firing at a tank willy nilly and disregarding angles with an RPG is if your team has it surrounded.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 2, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The servers are definately offline for me. Funny thing is I wasn't kicked off the server I was playing on until 20 minutes after the update was supposed to start :v:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Lugaloco posted:

The thing about the RPG is you really need to get those mobility disables for it to really shine through. If there's only one or two of you against a tank then your only real option is to hit him square in the rear or square in the side. Otherwise (providing the tank driver isn't a complete moron) the chances are you will get gunned down. A 55 damage rear shot with complete mobility loss to the vehicle spells death to that tank and that's where the RPG more than anything else is most effective.

I guess I'll practice my aim for the rear more then, I did see someone bitching that the LAW gave less mobility hits which are definitely a pain from the receiving end I know, I'll keep messing around with the different launchers and see how I like them until the community as a whole picks it's favourite.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's always the Javelin which locks on to vehicles from about like 250-300m away so you can be hiding in grass and hitting dudes reliably.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

VodeAndreas posted:

I guess I'll practice my aim for the rear more then, I did see someone bitching that the LAW gave less mobility hits which are definitely a pain from the receiving end I know, I'll keep messing around with the different launchers and see how I like them until the community as a whole picks it's favourite.

When I was playing around with the LAW I don't think I got a single mobility hit. Not one. It's great if you have a group of people using it on a target but that target always has a chance to escape at literally any moment since the LAW (as far as I can see) doesn't grant mobility disables. That's where it's truly weak in my opinion and why the RPG is infinitely better. Plus RPGs can fully disable transport helis in one hit and completely annihilate scout choppers in one hit too, so it's got that going for it aswell.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
The RPG is a great weapon, but all the other launchers leave something wanting, IMO. I haven't unlocked the Javelin or the wire-guided missile, which might win me over, but the MBT LAW is complete trash... 21 damage from any angle? Really? And the SRAW seems like a crutch for people that don't know how to aim the RPG.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is adding bf4 as a non steam game so you can use the overlay really this complicated?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3186069

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Seems like there's a common problem with the score bug. The 50% XP bug seems like it's for people who put in weekend double XP codes from preorders so don't do that

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Call Me Cismale posted:

Lancang Dam and Rogue Transmission have ridiculously small jet areas, and not nearly enough vehicles for attack jets to shoot anyway. Golmud and Paracel are fine. Dawnbreaker is ridiculous, as there's nothing you can reasonably attack except other jets, unless you want to attack the skyscrapers by ramming into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

The RPG is a great weapon, but all the other launchers leave something wanting, IMO. I haven't unlocked the Javelin or the wire-guided missile, which might win me over, but the MBT LAW is complete trash... 21 damage from any angle? Really? And the SRAW seems like a crutch for people that don't know how to aim the RPG.

You're thinking of the SMAW. The SRAW is the last launcher.

The Javelin is not great. It's basically the MBT LAW in the sense that if you've got 2-4 Engineers firing it at the same target, it will wreck them and there's very little they can do about it. But as a single Engineer, you're better off with the RPG, SMAW or SRAW.

The SRAW will take out helicopters in one hit, and has nearly the same potential for wrecking tanks as the RPG and SMAW, with the added benefit that it's a wire guided missile. It will also lock on to laser designated targets, making it pretty much the best multipurpose launcher.

• Locked thread