Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I just got a cheap immersion circulator and did some very thick cut bacon in it at 63C for 13h. I'd laid it in a ziploc bag in a single layer, but if I was going to do this in the future on a larger scale would it really matter if it was in a single layer, provided there's still no air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Hasselblad posted:

I have to ask, what was your goal in cooking bacon like this for 13 hours?

Evenly cooked thick bacon. I thought it sounded ridiculous when I first saw it, but I'd just got the immersion circulator and thick cut bacon was what I had. It turned out great, crispy exterior with the associated flavour, tender interior - none of the chewiness I'd had with thick bacon before.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/11/how-to-make-juicy-sous-vide-bacon.html

I'll usually want bacon I can snap, but I'll have this again.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 10, 2020

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I didn't realise it was so controversial, I always figured if Kenji was saying something it was backed up by testing (though I am admittedly a bit of a fanboy). I'm doing another batch now, but for 8h - it was only 13h before because I put it on overnight and that's how long it was before I bothered to deal with it the next day.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

A couple of questions:

If I'm going to get a dedicated container in which to cook, am I better off getting one of those clear polycarbonate boxes, or a cooler box whose lid I modify? Or does it not matter?

Can one put frozen meat into the bags before puddling? Rather than defrosting it first.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Aquila posted:

I use the rubbermaid square container and it works great, I haven't bothered with a lid, but I normally only cook steaks for about 1-1.5 hours at a time.

If the frozen meat is already the right portion you want to cook then yes you can put it in the bag frozen and put it right into the water. If not you'd need a bandsaw to effectively and safely cut frozen meat. I buy TriTip in bulk at Costco, cut it into steak sizes, freeze it, then put it straight into the sous vide from the freezer for dinner almost every day. General recommendations seem to be +50% cooking time if it's frozen.

Thanks, I have done both of these things and am very happy with the results.

My next question - if I've cooked some marinated flank steak for tacos, is that something that can sit in my fridge for 1-2 days before searing, for convenience?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but this is a huge thread to wade through. What's the best android app out there for calculating cooking temp&time by cut and weight of meat?

I just bookmarked https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Looks good, thanks. Do you find it reliable?

So far but I've only done chicken and some cuts of beef. I use sous vide because I don't have to put much thought or effort into it and it's hard to gently caress up, so I think there's wiggle room in their recommendations when it comes to time.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Poached eggs were the first thing I tried when I got my immersion circulator and they convinced me that eggs are better done via traditional methods for the texture I like. I want a set white and a runny yolk and that works best when using high heat that spreads from the outside inwards.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I bought a few fillet steaks from Costco. Am I okay to split them up, season them, then vacuum pack them with herbs before freezing ready to drop in the bath when I want one? Or will the seasoning ahead of time be an issue?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That was what I was concerned about, so I will avoid it - thanks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got a "Toyuugo" generic Chinese Amazon brand vacuum sealer and it works for the most part. The annoying thing is that the heating element keeps needing time to cool down so even double-sealing one thing becomes a pain. Are there better models that don't have this problem?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Oneiros posted:

(so i guess if you're double-sealing both sides of a bag for some reason and you need to do two it runs into trouble)

The bag I use is one long roll so both ends do need sealing, but my main problem is I like to bag batches of stuff - like five fillet steaks after a Costco visit, or dividing biltong into servings. That's when it becomes almost unusable.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I made the Serious Eats sous vide duck confit recipe, having never had duck confit before. It was excellent, and appetising enough that I disregarded the asparagus I was going to prepare to accompany it so that I could eat both legs.

The sauce was mostly made from the gelatinised bag liquid which doesn't sound so nice but certainly tasted good.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I recently posted about freezing steaks, ready to puddle and it was suggested that I don't salt them, lest they cure a bit. This has been detrimental to their flavour - I have to slice and put quite a bit on after to compensate.

Would the curing be a risk if I mixed salt and herbs into butter, so that it wouldn't contact the meat much before it melted in the water?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have been searing after freezing and puddling. I have salted it before searing, but it doesn't have the same effect - hence slicing then salting, so it gets it all through the meat if you see what I mean. I'll try the dry brine.

I thought that the previous advice I'd got here was to avoid doing that, but perhaps I misunderstood.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's the best way to finish off something that's been puddled in a marinade that is prone to burning? I'm thinking I'd like to put some chicken breasts with Nando's marinade in vacuum bags to end up with something that's nowhere near as dry as they do it in the restaurants, but haven't really done any stuff with marinade sous vide before.

Also, how long is too long with such a marinade? I was sure I'd seen a Serious Eats article on the subject of marinading chicken in citrus but haven't been able to find it upon looking just now. I seem to recall it starts to break it down a bit too much past a point.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I think I might be conflating that article and something I've seen someone say in a video in that case. It doesn't sound like there'd be a problem anyway, so I'll go ahead and do my usual bag/seal/freeze and I'm sure it will turn out well.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

How much difference is there between a Searzall and a bare blow torch flame? How viable is the latter for searing - is it possible just awkward, or is it totally not viable?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Perhaps the folks in this thread can help me understand what the best place to pause this process is.

I bought three pork loins, I intend to marinade them for char siu, puddle them, then grill them over charcoal. I'm not going to eat them all at once, so intend to freeze them in portions. They'll be sliced up at the time of usage then put atop clay pot rice as it steams (ergo any texture gained from the sear is irrelevant to me).

What's the best point in this process to freeze them? Given I'm only going to grill over charcoal for the flavour, is it suitable to freeze them after this, or will I do much better if I freeze them earlier on? I did them under the broiler last time and they ended up fine being frozen after that - still had the very nice internal texture.

Edit: The more I thought about this the more I felt it was a stupid question. I'm just going to freeze the finished product and try it.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 7, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm intending to sous vide a beef roast for the first time and I'm undecided on what cut. I don't want to spend rib eye or fillet money so I may go for brisket. Might sound like a silly question but do I sear it after cooking? Because I presume brisket will have lost a degree of structural integrity by that point.

Lawnie posted:

although I’m not sure what happens if you salt heavily before freezing it so YMMV if you try that

I do this with chicken breasts and it's been fine, no difference to just before, and it was so much more convenient. No problems caused and the flavour is a lot better than salting after cooking. It meant I could have my chicken breasts ready to drop in from frozen, with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme sprigs.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 9, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

swickles posted:

This is a good primer on sous vide brisket, basically any time you have a question about how to sous vide a cut of meat, the best place to start is by googling "kenji sous vide [meat cut]"

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe

You can obviously adapt it how you like, but the info on cooking times and temps is solid.

I had read this before and was thinking of it for the 'how do I want it done' but couldn't remember how to find it, thanks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm intending to sous vide a beef roast for the first time and I'm undecided on what cut. I don't want to spend rib eye or fillet money so I may go for brisket. Might sound like a silly question but do I sear it after cooking? Because I presume brisket will have lost a degree of structural integrity by that point.

I used "top rump" (edit: looking at the beef cuts pictures on Wikipedia it looks like this would be called sirloin in the US). because it's what I found at the local lovely supermarket. I seasoned it and bagged it with some garlic and thyme, then cooked at 60C for 22 hours. I seared it afterwards and it turned out fantastic, the texture was really very good. The searing was unnecessary, though. When served with a jus and accountrements, I didn't even notice a sear.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 14, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've made Kenji's, I've enjoyed it, but being from the UK I don't have a loving clue what carnitas is meant to be like since I've never been able to try it. So I don't even know if I did it right.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I wouldn't say I like duck legs. I wouldn't say I'm particularly fond of skin. When I did the sous vide confit duck legs with crispy skin they were loving incredible, I did like.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Easychair Bootson posted:

Can confirm that Kenji's carnitas recipe is great, as is his carrots recipe. Today, I'm looking to do steaks. I picked up a couple of tenderloin filets from my butcher and he already had them vac-sealed in 3 mil bags. Should I open them up, salt & pepper them, and re-seal, or sous vide as-is and season before searing? Kenji says either is an option, just wondering if it's worth it to preseason.

I'm thinking 130 degF for maybe... 3 hours? Can't decide if I want to finish on the charcoal grill (less cleanup, familiar flavor) or cast iron (higher temp). Any advice appreciated!

I previously tried seasoning after and I think it comes out a lot nicer if you do it before the dip, it penetrates better. You can also then stick some herbs in and that too makes a big difference. My go-to is salt, pepper, a smashed garlic clove, rosemary and sometimes thyme. I do that at 54°C for 2-4h and then sear in cast iron with butter and the garlic/herbs for basting.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It was initially based off the ChefSteps guide, but in reality the main reason I use sous vide for stuff is convenience. Like a rice cooker, I then don't have to worry about timings.

Edit: Also I am usually doing it from frozen so I increase by 30 minutes.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 21, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I committed the cardinal sin and didn't sear my chicken breast.

I'm using sous vide for convenience and so I just took it out of the bag, diced it into bit sized chucks, and dumped it into S&B curry roux to have with rice and veg. I noticed no difference since the sauce was already strongly flavoured.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I was intrigued by the other Anova vacuum sealer - the more expensive of the two that aren't the box. When I'm using my Amazon sealer it keeps having to wait before I can seal more, whereas I saw this is advertised with no refractory period.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I ended up getting the Anova vacuum sealer pro. Pros and cons:

+ No refractory period
+ Double seal
+ Strong vacuum
+ External accesory port
- Workflow isn't quite as simple, you have to feed the bag roll through the cutter each time
- Seal takes a long time compared to my previous Amazon one, though it does seem more thorough
- A bit more wastage per bag based on distance between the sealing strip and the vacuum bit

I think the very long seal time is because it operates at a lower temperature, hence the lack of refractory period. Probably takes about 3x as long as the Amazon one did.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 18, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If I'm in a real hurry, I help the machine along with some boiling water from my electric kettle.

I do this, then fill the rest from the hot tap, by which point it's around 50°C.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Between the Anova Precision Cooker 3 and its predecessor which is cheaper, it looks like the only differences are 100W more power and dual band wifi. If I don't care about either of those, is there any reason to go for the more expensive one?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The main thing I want out of a change from my current one is wifi - the predecessor to the v3 does have wifi but just 2.4GHz, which isn't an issue. I'll just get the earlier one, thanks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That is useful to know, and something I'll look into more - thanks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Has anyone tried seasoning their steaks before vacu-sealing and freezing? Since I buy steaks from Costco I need to store a good portion of them so it would be kinda nice to just season and freeze, and just start a sous vide on frozen steaks. On the other hand, in my head it won't work because the salt is going to start leeching water out of the steak before it freezes.

I do this with all meats I vacuum seal and freeze. It's fine and great.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I believe that is the case. My assumption is that things freeze from the outside inwards, so it's not going to be able to penetrate for more than a couple of hours at most. I've always done it with steaks and chicken breasts and I've never noticed any change in texture, or any difference to when I've done it immediately before, with something that never got frozen.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

explosivo posted:

I've been reading that it's possible to cook frozen without having to thaw with one of these, is that right?

Yes, that's what I do - I give it an extra 30 mins.

explosivo posted:

I also don't have a cast iron for searing (apartment living, smokes too much) so will that be an issue?

I finish in a non-stick pan. Maybe I'd do differently if I was trying for the best, but this is every-day eating for me.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Do I want the Anova Precision Cooker 3 for £199 or the Anova Precision Cooker Pro for £229?

The differences I see in specs are:

Pro:
- 1200W rather than 1100W
- Different materials

3:
- Dual band wifi

Edit: Well that's settled. Upon explaining my predicament (my cheap immersion circulator that I use every day broke) to my wife, she'd already ordered me the Anova Precision Cooker 3 for christmas and it arrives in 3 days. What a stroke of luck.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 20, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

So I got the Anova circulator and hopefully someone can sanity check me - are these things really quiet? I am used to my old £35 Amazon special which sounds like a really noisy fish tank which I can almost hear throughout the house. This thing is making a tiny buzzing noise - I had to watch the water carefully to check stuff was moving around because it almost sounded like an impeller had failed it was so quiet!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Since I'm usually using mine to do a single portion of meat for me, I found getting a smaller (7L I think) Cambro container and lid helpful. Then I've not got to heat as much water and it comes up to temperature quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Johnny Truant posted:

Sage butter sous vide-ed lobster, and crispy up kale with sharp cheddar :yum:

Yes