Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have had my anova for ages now, and have used it for things like steaks and bits of chicken and a lamb roast and its been brilliant. In the other side of the kitchen I have been using my yogurt maker to do the obvious and it never occured to me to put 2 and 2 together, so now I need to find a container system that I can stick my anova in and still have enough space for a 2l or 4l container for the yogurt.

Have been on a bit of a kick to reduce clutter in the kitchen, and ever since I found out you can get better rice out of a pressure cooker, I have ditched my rice makers as well. If I can get rid of this yogurt maker, I will have condensed 6 or 7 devices down to 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Im in australia, so this isnt as much of a thing over here, but I got a breville that does slow and pressure cooking. Really handy.

Side note, I did a trial batch of 4l of yogurt with my anova and it turns out perfectly fine, so im pretty happy.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Relentless posted:

They really are basically fancy aquarium heaters. Fact sheet on the Anova says it's got a lower end of 77f, which is actually about perfect for tropicals.

I wonder how long an Anova willl last for when you run it 24/7? Heaters were always the dodgy part of my set up and failed the most often. Plus it would solve the water circulation problem.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Relentless posted:

They don't turn back on automatically after a power outage is the big concern.

I'm pretty sure that I could rig up some arduino system that was powered off the mains system to check to see if the anova was running every x minutes and turn it on if not, but at that stage it's a bit :effort:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I puddled some chicken at 150 with lime and chili to shred into a salad. It was great.

I have been doing a bunch of chicken lately, usually with just mixed herbs, but I like the idea of lime and chilli. Will have to give that a crack

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dodgy af satay in a bag?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CaptainCrunch posted:

I would love to read a write up and taste test. Hopefully with photos.

Take us on a black garlic journey.

seconding this

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just bought an instant pot SV and I have a food saver - what's a good fist thing to try sous vide?

Just for a different opinion, try your own yogurt.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hopper posted:

There are some recipes that ask for making it in a bag then divide it into portions and cool. So you probably could do a large jar, but remember the 4" rule. I just bought some decorative small "pickling jars" and use those to puddle and serve individual portions.

Whats the 4" rule?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Thickness for sous vide safety. Any thicker and the inside won’t get host enough fast enough to be sure to be safe.

Oh, that makes sense. Is it 4" from side to side of the container, or 4" from the centre to the outside?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

swickles posted:

Awesome, thanks. If I am not freezing something, or if I am just doing a single steak or chop or whatever, I will use a Ziploc. However, the times being as they are I am trying to minimize deliveries and stretch my supplies of everything as long as possible.

I have a roll of the long single bag where you just cut off however much you need, and I have reused portions of that several times.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

That passage always makes me reflect on the practice of cooking food at 130F for a couple of hours, but no ill has yet befallen me so I’ll keep it up.

Its a function of time as well. The longer you hold a piece of food at a given temperature, the safer it is.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

70F for eight hours

Pretty sure there has been a graph posted in this thread that gives you the safe times and temps. Couldnt verify off the top of my head.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ola posted:

98.6°F for 40 years gives it a slightly stiff, yet flabby appearance.

I dunno if thats killed all the bacteria as well.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anyone got any good recipes for vegetarian dishes to do in a puddle?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I moved in with a vegetarian so my steak intake has dramatically reduced, but I had the opportunity to sous vide a nice steak with some garlic butter, rosemary and thyme last night, and it was delicious.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Do most of you guys have a vacuum sealer, or just using a ziplock bag and the water to push out the air?

Started with the ziplock method, but got a vacuum as soon as I realised I would be using the SV more than a few times.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zarin posted:

Hmm, if the difference isn't the existence of WiFi rather than the type of WiFi then maybe some sort of Tech Priest needs to weigh in and explain if/why the difference matters.

I feel like this is something I should know, but do not.

FWIW 5Ghz transfers data faster, but its stopped/hindered by walls/obstacles more easily. 2.4Ghz is slower but goes through obstacles more reliably.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MrYenko posted:

183° F.

I do mine for thanksgiving with brown sugar, butter, cloves, etc and they come out perfect.

How long for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I did the serious eats sous vide brisket for christmas lunch and it was such a hit im now responsible for all the brisket.