Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just bit the bullet on an Anova. They have a current campaign going on Facebook, the code is for $50 off the One. $150 (plus $70 freight to australia the c*nts!) for one. I wanted blue but black was the only choice. Getting p keen to try it out.

Does anyone who owns an Anova have any great tips or tricks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I got my anova a few weeks ago, so far I've done 24 hour 2 inch thick chuck steak, 2 day pulled pork and now I have a whole piece of chuck in the puddle for 24 hours. Man I didn't know how worth it these were

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Has anyone done a corned beef/silverside sous vide? I want to try do one soon, my butcher gets fantastic local meat and they do amazing smallgoods so I'm sure their silverside would be good. If so, cooking temps/times?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

[quote="Straker" post="436464282"]
Hi, I came to post that Anova is finally shipping, meaning I should have my five cookers in the next month or so assuming everyone is still interested! I saw someone already said this but had some other things to say!

1) I like shopping and already have everything I want so I feel like I should get a Searzall, if I don't already have a torch what exactly is best to use it with in terms of gas + torch?

2:

Sous vide corned beef is loving amazing, I've done that more than anything else besides ordinary ribeyes, just leave it in the bag with seasoning etc (don't buy one of the ones that puts the seasoning in a little packet) and throw it right in the pot out of the fridge/freezer, no need to repackage, it is literally as easy to cook as a hot pocket or kraft dinner but tastes a million times better and isn't revolting.
[/quote

Thanks for the reply! I got one of the pre corned pieces from our butcher (awesome butcher btw! Quality is always fantastic), washed the excess salt off, resealed it with a few peppercorns and a bay leaf, 24 hour cook. I pre cooked corn, carrot batons, broccoli, potato and sweet potato in butter for an hour at 80c, chilled them and did the silverside at 60-65 for a day, and in the last hour reheated the veg.

I also made a three cheese white sauce, with a good sprinkling of smoked Hungarian paprika which really lifted the whole dish. So good! I think we are doing it this week again too. We have pork ribs on at the moment, I did a dry rub on them so I'll see what they need post cook. My thought is to sear them in a pan like a steak just to get that nice Maillard reaction going on the outside

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I did some radical, delicious steaks and hot wings last night for dinner.

I had the leftover grease from cooking my carbonara (basically onion, garlic and mushroom infused bacon fat) and so I got this super hot and seared steaks that were done at 58C in the sous vide in it. Absolutely phenomenal, great crust, tender throughout, just brilliant.

Hot wings weren't sous vide but IMVHO you could sous vide the wings to cook them through, then dry the outside and do them. I coated mine in potato starch and paprika, fried them, and coated them in my buffalo sauce which is basically 250g butter, 300ml franks red hot, a small bottle of tabasco, and half a bottle each of tepatio and Cholula which gave it something of a smokey heat. Brilliant. Oh and brown sugar

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I have about 2kg of pork currently bathing at 70C in a gently caress ton of spice rub and it looks ridiculous and I can't wait to eat it tomorrow. 36hr SV then 4 hr in my crock pot with bbq sauce, caramelised onion and garlic, and beef stock to finish it. I can't wait

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

deimos posted:

Why not just do it 40h on the crock pot?

My crock pot slow cooks at 110C and I want 70c for gelatinisation and breakdown of fat, also it's only able to run for 9.5 hours at a time

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

So I'm trying to work out pulled beef with brisket. My butcher was out of chuck so I went with brisket and I'm doing it at 65C for 2 days. Sound alright?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

http://hackaday.com/2015/02/07/brewing-beer-with-a-sous-vide-cooker/

How bad is this for the thing, or how hard is it to clean to use for food again?

Do what I do and use the sous vide in a bucket of water as a herms vessel. Copper coil, hose in and out, recirculating the wort through the coil. Great way to get a herms setup for cheap

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

That sounds really cool. Do you have anymore info on it?

Yeah. Basically I'll assume you don't know what herms is - herms refers to High Efficiency Recirculating Mash System. You have a secondary vessel at a temperature close to that of the main mash. Basically I used my Anova in a spare 20 litre bucket, I have a herms coil I hadn't got around to finishing building (Enclosure/wiring), but had the copper coil I had bent to fit the enclosure with fittings. Ran an out from my mash tun (I BIAB so 1v), through a pump, into the inlet of the copper system, the mash runs through the pipe which is immersed in the water in the second vessel and keeps it warm, and then back into the top of the mash. I have a little ghetto rig I built that I use at the moment but intend on using something like an auto sparge as a recirculation device.
Basically it's a good way of something similar to RIMS but doesn't risk scorching the wort on the element, and gets the wort maximum exposure to the enzymes by recycling. This brew didn't run well because I had teething issues with some fittings but I reckon I can dial it up to my usual 81% brew house efficiency.

On an actual sous vide note, I did a thing. 70C beef short ribs for 20h, seared in butter and olive oil, with sautéed Dutch carrots, sous vide mashed potato (sous vide the potato then boil normally to lock the starches in) and sautéed asparagus. I did the veg for half a day at the same temp as the meat, ramped to 72 for the potatoes, added in a half bag of some hollandaise I had already made a while back to loosen and warm it up, and that was dinner.
loving spectacular cut of meat. I've tried attaching an image but imgur is being lovely with phone posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Heh, it worked.
The gravy is just cooking juice gravy thickened up with some gravy powder and beef stock, and seasoned