Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Thanks for the tip earlier in the thread. The "party stacker" really is a nice size.

I've thought about notching the side so Anova will sit lower. If I wanted more capacity, I could always move it to the opposite, un-notched corner and rotate the lid 180 degrees. Maybe it's better to keep the whole black portion of the Anova with its electronics up and out of humidity. Still undecided.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Phanatic posted:

What size is that?

The "20 can." I looked really hard to find one locally, but everything of a similar size had wheels or extra compartments in the lid.

The picture is kind of deceptive. A 2 liter soda bottle fits in the cooler with the lid on, so I think it's deeper than it looks.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What about probing the temperature of the exposed section to see how far away from the main-mass temp it is? Is that a valid measurement?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

To clamp around the base of a plumbers-style propane cylinder? Not a chance.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The best you could maybe do with that metal spring clamp is maybe clamping it around the neck of the tool, then leaning the bottle over on it in a "long tripod" arrangement. Maybe.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

No Wave posted:

Got it. Seems sort of overengineered but I can't think of a much better solution.

The ideal probably would have been to angle the top differently so that it would be balanced while standing straight-up, but I don't know what sort of considerations had to be made so it might not have been possible.

If you're using a narrow tank, it's going to be top-heavy no matter what. It's the same reason those Coleman feet exist for camp lanterns, even though lanterns are basically symmetrical.

Narrow tanks are kind of wobbly with nothing attached.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Steve Yun posted:

With the new Anova coming soon, I've been window-shopping cambros and I got a couple questions.

Polycarbonate has BPA, but as long as my food is in airtight bags that are BPA-free I should be fine, right?

Will double-walling my cambro (putting one cambro inside another) have any meaningful benefit to insulation, or is that being fussy for no good reason?

If you want insulation, just buy a cooler. It works incredibly well and it's way cheaper than buying two cambros.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
At least the Anova "pump" is pretty simple. No critical seals to wear or anything. It's just a propeller on a long shaft.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm really really not seeing the reason to use this instead of the open gas flame.

Diffusing the heat?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any advice on using sous vide for pulled or shredded meat? I am doing tamales this year and I think it could make some awesome meat filling. I'm thinking brisket with a bit of traditional red chile sauce, or flavors thereof, might be awesome.

Last year I smoked two pork butts and a full packer brisket and the tamales were epic, but I think sous vide can make them better and some people didn't like the smoke flavor last year (they were wrong).

It's not sous vide, but the "Modernist Cuisine At Home" pressure cooker carnitas was awesome in tamales. (I also like their tamale recipe)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

No Wave posted:

I can't find them on Amazon - I think they're just going through fulfillment there.

It showed in stock with Prime shipping a few hours ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Booker-and-Dax-Searzall/dp/B00L2P0KNO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1413474417&sr=8-7&keywords=searzall

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

kensei posted:

Apologies if I missed this in the thread. My Anova just came and it's awesome. I saw this linked off of reddit: http://imgur.com/a/pLYdG

I asked the Coleman Customer Service people, and they said the innards are made of polypropylene, which has a melting point of 266F. Has anyone used this for extended 180+F cooks for veggies? I have no doubt that for meats around 140F it would probably be just fine...

I've made glazed carrots at 180+ in my (taller, skinnier) Party Stacker several times with no warping, plastic smell or any other adverse effects.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Hoped to have the SeriousEats glazed carrots for a big family dinner.

Started them in a ziplock at 183F then ran to the in-laws for an hour.

It turned into a 3 hour trip. Came back to a completely shredded bag floating in brown water. Just absolutely shredded. Thermal breakdown of the bag I guess? Would FoodSaver vacuum bags have survived better?

My parents don't understand why I threw them out, but I'd rather waste $3 in carrots that swallow the uncertainty of what's been in that cooler before.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Choadmaster posted:

I just gave a friend an Anova. He wants to try some swordfish, which is not a thing I've sous vided before (in fact I've never done any kind of fish). There's been lots of talk of salmon, but swordfish seems pretty different. Any tips?

I googled it. Suggested times and temps look a lot like salmon.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any reason not to jump on this for SV uses?

http://slickdeals.net/f/7587110-foodsaver-v2244-vacuum-sealer-59-99-free-shipping?v=1

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve been out of the loop for a while. My Anova One was trucking along great till it totally melted its power inlet a few months ago. Are any of the “prime day” sales a good fit for me?

Seems like the two with real discounts are Anova Nano for $65 and the Joule for $120. I’m a little worried about stepping down to 700 watts with the Nano. I almost exclusively cook in a Partystacker cooler, and my 1000w One already took a long time to heat. Maybe I need to step down to a smaller container.

The Joule seems cool too, but that lack of on-device controls. I don’t know if that’s something I can live without.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What’s the problem with a steel spring in your clip? I binder-clip forks and spoons to sink bags all the time.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It’s worth just replacing your sealer gaskets every few years. I thought my FoodSaver was toast, but it works was good as new now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ultimate Mango posted:

Every few years? My vacmaster is at least a dozen years old and I’ve done zero maintenance. It’s the low end model which specifically didn’t call for oiling the pump and it’s been fine with light use (a few times a week except for tamale day when it seals many many dozens of bags of tamales).

Maybe I’m more messy 🤷‍♂️

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I found a cast iron grill pan in the back of a cupboard. Is this in any way better than a plain old enameled cast iron skillet for post-puddle searing?

I’ve never found a good use for my grill pan. The ridges seem counterproductive if the goal is as much surface area as possible for a sear. It’s also a pain to clean.

On the other hand, enamel isn’t really great for high heat. I think a lot of them say 500F max to keep the enamel safe.

I like using my non-enamel Dutch oven for searing because the high walls keep splatter contained.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Multiples side by side in a bag is fine so long as you can get enough air out that they don’t float.

Stacked in one bag, eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Subjunctive posted:

There are the classic retrowhatever potatoes, but also carrots done in SV are very...carroty and perfect in texture. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

I highly suggest actual vacuum bags rather than ziplocks if you’re going to try this recipe. 180F seems to be pushing the limits of ziplocks, because I’ve had several tear doing carrots, but rarely have issues at popular meat temps.