Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

sterster posted:

@SubG how do you re-heat your bbq leftovers? SV?
Yeah, usually. The flat gets sliced and the divided out into portions for two, which then get bagged and frozen. Then it's a quick weeknight meal, usually reheated in the puddle machine. The point I usually hack up into hunks big enough to make three, four sandwiches. That stuff I'll pull out of the freezer to defrost in the fridge, then open it up, chop it, and use it for sandwiches for lunch whenever I want 'em during the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My only bag failures have been on long cooks with wetish seasls. Be sure to clean up the heating elements or it may be weak regardless of bag. You can always double seal for extreme cooks.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

poeticoddity posted:

I've reheated leftover pulled pork straight from the freezer with SV. 140 was enough to get it to a pleasant serving temperature without ruining the texture.

Yeah, I do this all the time. 135-140 is great for reheating pulled pork. Sometimes I like to reheat it with SV like this and drop it on a hot cast iron for a minute or two for a little crisp, almost carnitas style.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I used to reheat my pulled pork SV. Now I throw it in a dry pan to get a little crispy and bring it back to life. Highly recommend.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lawnie posted:

I used to reheat my pulled pork SV. Now I throw it in a dry pan to get a little crispy and bring it back to life. Highly recommend.

The carnitas method reigns supreme IMHO.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
What’s the turkey game plan.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Last year I did a 24 hour confit of turkey thighs in olive oil and herbs, then crisped the skin under the broiler. They were fantastic, I'll see if I can find the recipe I stole.

Edit: I think it was this https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/crispy-tender-confit-turkey-legs

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Where are you guys going for sous vide recipes? I've noticed that a lot of the recipes I make with traditional cooking methods are not super adaptable to sous vide, and I would love to be able to find more sous vide specific recipes.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Serious Eats is a good place to start. A lot of Kenji recipes out there too. I was gifted a SV recipe book at the same time https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Home-Technique-Perfectly/dp/0399578064

What specifically are trying to fine? A lot of the times you can just google *the thing I want to cook* + sous vide. Bam there ya go. Although I've found the cook times and techniques to be questionable some times. So having experience with cook times and understanding what they are doing helps avoid issues.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've been on the sidelines thinking about SV for quite some time and after walking through Costco the other day I glanced that they had one for sale. I think it's the one linked below, but would this be a decent entry-point to get into SV, provided it's the same one when I arrive? The most steaks I think I'd ever cook at once would be 4, but more commonly 2 to 3, if that is a metric that matters.

https://www.costco.com/anova-sous-vide-precision-cooker-kit.product.100671168.html

Cheers, thanks!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

TraderStav posted:

I've been on the sidelines thinking about SV for quite some time and after walking through Costco the other day I glanced that they had one for sale. I think it's the one linked below, but would this be a decent entry-point to get into SV, provided it's the same one when I arrive? The most steaks I think I'd ever cook at once would be 4, but more commonly 2 to 3, if that is a metric that matters.

https://www.costco.com/anova-sous-vide-precision-cooker-kit.product.100671168.html

Cheers, thanks!

Anova is fine. I like my Chef Steps Joule. Do not skimp on a decent vac sealer.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 28, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Anova is fine. I like my Chef Steps Joule. Do not skimp on a decent vac sealer.

Thanks! Wasn't sure if it was a different model within Anova that I should be aware of. Sounds like it (like most Costco deals) is a solid solution for most folks.

We've had one of those big rear end sealersfor years. We freeze all of our meat in it, so should be good to go. It's one of those foodsavers.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Thanks! Wasn't sure if it was a different model within Anova that I should be aware of. Sounds like it (like most Costco deals) is a solid solution for most folks.

We've had one of those big rear end sealersfor years. We freeze all of our meat in it, so should be good to go. It's one of those foodsavers.

The thing to look at is the heating element, for a long time the joule had the beefiest heater which is what you want if your heating a large volume of water for cooking something big.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a downside to starting with hot water? I have always done that and for creme brulee that needs 80C I used water from the electric kettle even. That reduces heat up time and a well insulated tub means less power required from the Anova.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hopper posted:

Is there a downside to starting with hot water? I have always done that and for creme brulee that needs 80C I used water from the electric kettle even. That reduces heat up time and a well insulated tub means less power required from the Anova.

Not that I've ever experienced. Depending on the temperature needed I'll use hot water from the tsp, or from a kettle. Then I stick in the anova to check the temp and adjust down to the required temp by adding cold water.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My only problem starting with hot water is that it makes it a little more difficult to get your bags situated if they're being difficult, or thermal shocking glass jars if you're doing egg bites or something. Warm water is the way to go for me.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I use a big stock pot and I'll put it on the burner for a few minutes while I fill it up with hot water from the tap. It's ready pretty much immediately.

Speaking of.. got a couple NY strips in now @ 132. I am excite.

going to try very hard not to gently caress these up when it's time to sear. fridge for 15 minutes and then onto a piping hot cast iron skillet. sound right?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I wouldnt even fridge, just pat dry and into the pan.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

swickles speaks the truth

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I ended up doing it because I needed a few minutes anyway and I've had trouble searing in the past.

The steak was okay. I think 3.5 hours was too long, it was too chewy and soft. It's tough to dial these times/temps in.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Unless they are super thick, you only need an hour to get it up to temp. With cuts of steaks like strips, ribeye, you can go too long. Reserve the long baths for tougher cuts of meat.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Has anyone made https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/sous-vide-leg-of-lamb-mint-cumin-black-mustard-recipe.html ? I'm planning to give it a go this weekend, didn't know if the recipe needs any alterations

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Take about a quarter to half the salt off.
Kenji L O V E S salt.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

toplitzin posted:

Take about a quarter to half the salt off.
Kenji L O V E S salt.

Not really, are you sure you're using kosher salt?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My wife has my Anova Sous Vide under the Christmas Tree waiting for me, in the meantime my Mother-in-law is looking for gift ideas for me. Is there a cookbook that y'all can recommend? Online recipes are nice and all (would appreciate a solid site recommendation there too) but a meatspace book in the kitchen is always nice too.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

xtal posted:

Not really, are you sure you're using kosher salt?

Yes, yes I am.
We all are.

Casu Marzu posted:

I mean, me too usually.
A lot of ppl really don't, though, so I usually preface any Kenji recommendation with a note about salt levels.

Sextro posted:

I always feel a little bad that I like the salt levels in Kenji recipes as is. Hypertension here I come :v:

Steve Yun posted:

ok fine take 1/3 of the salt off kenji recipes
I love salt too but Kenji is a deer/horse/cow/elk

rgocs posted:

My wife doesn't know who Kenji is, but by salt content alone she can instantly recognize when I try out another of his recipes.
Is his kosher salt coarser than mine? Are my spoons bigger? Or does he just not taste salt?

Hauki posted:

from following this/these recipes, i learned that apparently j. kenji lopez-alt is a loving deer or something and i might as well just slap a salt lick on the table and call it a day

Jan posted:

But I don't trust Kenji anymore in matters of salt, and I still should've salted the dry rub before bagging in this case. The texture was great but the flavour was kind of bland--tasted almost like boiled meat. :negative:

Mr_Roke posted:

I'm probably not experienced enough to notice it but so many people on this forum having his sous vide BBQ turn into salt lick disasters, along with the consensus he uses too much salt, makes me reluctant to use his recipes.

I don't own a sous vide circulator but it's interesting to compare Kenji's sous vide ribs recipe to meathead's. Kenji calls for a quarter cup of kosher salt for 2 racks of ribs while meathead's calls for half a tsp of kosher salt per pound. I haven't bought ribs in a long time but it seems like Kenji's recipe would have more than twice the amount of salt.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I could believe all of you were using the wrong salt, since its a common criticism and I think he made a video about how everyone was using the wrong salt. But hey, I'm not gonna force feed you salt if it's not important for the recipe. You could probably reduce the amount of salt even further if you replace some with MSG.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah I never had a salt issue with his recipe but I’m not exactly measuring poo poo out. I wish I could find Diamond Crystal locally but at least Amazon sells it

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

xtal posted:

I could believe all of you were using the wrong salt, since its a common criticism and I think he made a video about how everyone was using the wrong salt. But hey, I'm not gonna force feed you salt if it's not important for the recipe. You could probably reduce the amount of salt even further if you replace some with MSG.

I exclusively use Diamond Crystal, the kosher salt most recipe authors develop for, and which the Serious Eats team SPECIFICALLY develops for (Stella has a whole article about it, because Stella).

Kenji calls for too much salt.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Test Pattern posted:

I exclusively use Diamond Crystal, the kosher salt most recipe authors develop for, and which the Serious Eats team SPECIFICALLY develops for (Stella has a whole article about it, because Stella).

Kenji calls for too much salt.

I also use Diamond and agree that Kenji uses too much salt. That said, I don't usually measure out salt for most recipies (outside of baking), and just sorta salt as I go / to taste.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The only time Kenji salt levels work is if I've been eating restaurant food or smoking recently. This is with diamond brand they recommend.

The key here is you get used to salt and different people have different subjective tolerances.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Unless they are super thick, you only need an hour to get it up to temp. With cuts of steaks like strips, ribeye, you can go too long. Reserve the long baths for tougher cuts of meat.

Yeah my rule of thumb for up to 1 inch thickness is 55 mins at 55C for medium rare (boneless steak)

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Sextro posted:

The only time Kenji salt levels work is if I've been eating restaurant food or smoking recently. This is with diamond brand they recommend.

The key here is you get used to salt and different people have different subjective tolerances.

A lot of people don't realize how much you can adapt to the taste of salt.

If you're consuming a lot of salt and not getting much sensation from it, a strict low-sodium diet for about two weeks can up your sensitivity to salt by 10x, easily.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I found a cast iron grill pan in the back of a cupboard. Is this in any way better than a plain old enameled cast iron skillet for post-puddle searing?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I found a cast iron grill pan in the back of a cupboard. Is this in any way better than a plain old enameled cast iron skillet for post-puddle searing?

I’ve never found a good use for my grill pan. The ridges seem counterproductive if the goal is as much surface area as possible for a sear. It’s also a pain to clean.

On the other hand, enamel isn’t really great for high heat. I think a lot of them say 500F max to keep the enamel safe.

I like using my non-enamel Dutch oven for searing because the high walls keep splatter contained.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Point deducted from Costco this fall. I had been waiting anxiously for the holiday season so I could stock up on the pork rib roasts, which I typically carve down into 2-rib-thick chops. For some odd reason, this year they decided to have the roasts, but minus the ribs. :argh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I never ever use the measurements from a recipe for salt, I just do whatever seems right. I can't get any kind of kosher salt let alone pick one brand over the other so I can't follow American recipes anyway.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, almost every recipe (outside of baking) I see usually just says salt to taste.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve never found a good use for my grill pan. The ridges seem counterproductive if the goal is as much surface area as possible for a sear. It’s also a pain to clean.
I was reading a bit about this and I guess it can simulate some of the benefits of a grill, like the char from the ridges being extra hot. I just don't know if that overrides the importance of surface area, especially for sous vide.

eddiewalker posted:

On the other hand, enamel isn’t really great for high heat. I think a lot of them say 500F max to keep the enamel safe.
I did not know this! Stuff does get stuck to it when I sear but I've generally been able to get most of it off.

Including when I did a very stupid thing while intoxicated a few months ago: I made some bacon for a salad, then tried to sear a ribeye I had just puddled in the fat. Cue a gigantic gout of fire. I am super lucky I didn't cause a house fire. Still have scars on my arms from the burns though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Pro tip: check the camping sections for cheaper cast iron pans.

I needed a bigger pan for thanksgiving turkey breast searing so I went to Walmart and got a 15 inch pan for $16 bucks where lodge wants close to 50 for their 15 inch.