Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

And to bring it back around full circle, Urobuchi said in an interview that he was going to be drawing a lot from Kamen Rider Black for Gaim, specifically he mentioned tapping into the Black Sun vs. Shadow Moon dynamic, which he's always loved.

So really, watch Black, partially because it's really good, and partially because it'll be a primer for what Urobuchi decides to call back to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

It's absolutely cultural sentiment, since Japan has basically conditioned its nation to be workaholics and if you aren't doing a proper job that helps society you are practically worse than garbage in some people's eyes. That said, I kind of had to roll my eyes and assume she was pulling some 'with great power comes great responsibility' bit, as it's pretty much the only way she doesn't come off as kind of spiteful in that scene.

Though I don't really think Kouta is doing it for entirely selfish reasons. He absolutely does want to help his friends and his team, and he was all about giving his sister the proceeds from the Inves battles in order to help pay for rent and/or maybe let them eat out once in a while. If he's selfish about anything, it's the emotional satisfaction from being Gaim, which I think is kind of understandable. He is going to learn to be less showboaty with time, but considering things haven't quite gotten to the point where that's an issue (plus the fact that we are literally only on Episode 3) I'm not especially worried. If he's still acting this way by the time Movie War rolls around, we may have a problem.

Edit: Also, the Spider-Man parallels fall a little flat when you remember that Peter was keeping all the cash for himself, was absolutely secretive about his identity, and refused to help stop a burglary, whereas Kouta has already fended off two monster attacks, has been donating time/money to his friends/sister, and been very upfront about his new powers. It's not quite the same scenario where he needs a punch to the gut like Peter did to become a hero.

Unrelated, Kaito is hardcore.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 22, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Burkion posted:

Like I said. I see the point they wanted to raise, but either the writer or the translation did a pretty bad job at realizing it.

Considering Aesir's tranlation efforts are usually top notch and this reeks of cultural differences, so I'd bet on the former rather than the latte. I wholeheartedly disagree with literally every word she spoke and think she's harshing on Kouta for very little reason - again, this is a lot like comparing someone to being a professional sports player or actor/musician. I know this is probably more to reinforce "HEY YOUNG JAPANESE KIDS REMEMBER TO BECOME A SALARYMAN AND NOTHING ELSE" but the scene is really heavy-handed and not really good. Again, like other people here, I see the point she was trying to make, that Kouta shouldn't be depending on the Inves Game, that he's showboating/got a huge ego and needs to learn to calm down and be more responsible, etc etc. But they way it was phrased in the context of the show is continuously baffling.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Rei_ posted:

...we're talking about a show that is about growing up and being mature and responsible and your comparison is Pewdiepie?

Yes, he was absolutely comparing him to Pewdiepie. Because massive professional communities for StarCraft 2, MOBAs like LoL/DOTA2, and even loving TF2 that provide income for elite players on a competitive scene don't exist.

Come on. I even get the point she's trying to make and that was the most disingenuous comment in this entire argument.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 26, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Fezz posted:

Did they do one for episode one? They talk like they did but it doesn't seem to be on the website.

Magenta did a really long Twitter string of complaints with TV-N's Gaim 1, but I don't have it immediately on hand.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Gaim 04 just hit. I always did love grapes!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Darksaber posted:

That was an incredible episode. I really like where this is going. Did we know that Micchy was Melon's (can't remember his name) brother before this? I may have overlooked it.

I'm pretty sure we knew that Ryugen and Zangetsu were related, but it was pretty commonly overlooked, and I don't think went into finer details.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Some dudes did some freeze frame dissection of the military coat with all the medals in Pierre's room. Apparently he was part of the US Armed Forces serving in both Iraq and Vietnam, was part of the French Foreign Legion, and completed one of the highest ranks of Commando training.

So basically, Pierre is a camp flamboyant stereotype who is basically the true to life depiction of the "What the gently caress did you just loving say about me" post.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Well, we know that Urobuchi personally penned at least the first 7 episodes. So next week's episode should be right along our expectations.

After that, though, it's anyone's guess. :shepface:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The filler's probably not going to happen until 12-13, since that's when they'll be pumping for Super Extremely Decisive Thank God Wizard's Over War Movie Extreme.

Also, Watermechon is great which makes me sad because I could almost hear it funneling away the show's budget the longer it showed up.

Though the commercial did show a Gyro Mode we didn't get to see used, so I imagine we'll get to see it at least once more.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

SpazmasterX posted:

Go back to the first episode. You can see Gyro Mode being used among the armies in the intro.

Well poo poo, so I can. Nice call.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

All I can really think about is the fact that they snuck in not one, but two awful continuity jokes in that opening scene, when it was translated.

I'm not sure what's more amusing. The line referencing next year's Sentai, or the fact that Momotaros, Gentarou, and Haruto are all painfully obvious, even compared to everyone else.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I seriously need to know who directed Episode 9. It felt like a Sakamoto episode but with sambadinos wrapping up there's no way he'd have been able to, and imdb's got nothing.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

There are true Toku animes, you just need to know where to look. I'd say that Tiger and Bunny got pretty toku-like a lot of the time.

Or Sunred, but Sunred is more "Toku as slice of life".

And yeah, I'm with the camp who thinks the animeish writing style is to Gaim's credit. Things have been moving at a refreshing enough clip and the way the pacing and structure that has worked out for the show thus-far. Changing it mid-stream would almost certainly be a disaster.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

When two Beat Riders lock eyes passing each other, the only option is an Invess game!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Blade's action in the regular suit I remember as being really awkward and stilted, mostly because Blade was the first Heisei rider to start the trend of crazy impossible to move around in shoulderpieces, so he could only really raise his arm to about mid-chest. Maybe anti-nostalgia is coloring my experience of it, though.

That said, it also has one of the worst tertiary riders in Leangle, who is a little poo poo and doesn't get his act together until like, literally the last 5-6 eps. Even when by all rights he really should have by that point.

Also, King Form is probably my favorite and one of the best-looking rider Final Forms, and with plot importance, the second most terrifying. (First going to PuToTyra).

That said, OOO I like to say is essentially what happens when you jam together the ideas of Kuuga and Blade, so once NDA gets further along, it's probably worth a rewatch.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

jonjonaug posted:

This episode was great.

In this episode you've got Micchy wanting Kouta to throw away the Sengoku Driver (along with his own). Micchy says that he doesn't want them to be used by Yggdrasill and Kouta thinks that the belts can't be thrown away if people can still be in trouble from Invess. But they both have a deeper motivation where Micchy is disgusted that his Beat Riding activities have been tainted by Yggrasill and his family, and Kouta can't bring himself to give up the one thing that he feels is giving his life meaning right now ("It's something only I can do!", etc). Both of them have motives that they aren't willing to admit to each other or truly fully admit to even themselves, which I find really really cool.

You forgot the ulterior motive of Micchy wanting to keep everything secret because otherwise, his brother is going to know A) That he's been Beat Riding (and we all know how Takatora thinks of the 'trash on the street') and B) That he's Armored Rider Ryugen.

Justin_Brett posted:

I dunno why they'd recruit one of the two weakest riders, though.

Because the weakest is always the one most desperate to attain strength. They can test their new poo poo on him that will more than likely go horribly awry.

Also, it's probably worth noting that Hase and Jou's Lock Seeds are probably a lower class than the usual groups. They probably aren't necessarily strong probably because of the inherent limitations of the Pinecone/Acorn lockseeds. If they got their hands on the new and improved Energy Lock Seeds and Genesis Drivers, they'd probably be able to trash the rest of the crew, if Energy Zangetsu/Soda Form is anything to go off of.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is correct, Jonouchi's Acorn Lockseed is Class B, and Hase's Pinecone Lockseed is even lower, Class C. Every single other Lockseed used by a Rider is Class A except the Melon Energy Lockseed, which has no ranking, as it was not made for the Inves Games, but power-wise it's likely even beyond Class A, a Class S Lockseed.

Also I have to wonder your claim here, I can believe it for Hase, who has actual fighting skill, even if he's too hot-headed for his own good, but Jonouchi? Even with the best of Lockseeds, he's too much of a wimp to get any use out of them. Hopefully his training under Oren will help him man up.

Eh, I'm willing to give Hase a shot, especially since he seems almost too aware of his impending drop towards grunt-level. Jounouchi: Actual Starscream Stand-In can languish until he gets his act together a bit more.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Christ, is Urobuchi going to pen the whole thing himself? 19 Episodes is way more than the usual head writers do on any given rider, that's for sure.

Also:

quote:

Y: What is your vision of a hero?
Gen: Someone that influences goodness in other people. There’s also the sense of justice, but the whole justice thing won’t appear until episode 14. From there it will be a story about justice, finally becoming a Rider story.

:suspense:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Burkion posted:

Oh hey, cool, my complaints about this not being a Rider story is, AGAIN, apparently Authorial Intent.

What the gently caress.

I think that it's been developing into a Rider show for a while now - see Kouta's declaration at the end of the last episode. But I dunno man, you seem to be pretty judgmental over fruity warlords fighting each other.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

This episode owned and kicks the poo poo out of anyone who thought that the show would be too wacky to not be absolutely horrifying :magical:

Also, theory crafting time. We know the identities of three of the four Energy Riders already. Mikata (presumably a new character), Takatora, and Professor Sengoku. We still don't know Sigurd's identity, which says to me it has to be an established character already.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are entering the age of Antagonist Sagara.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Flameingblack posted:

God drat, what a twist. This has the same goofy kind of stuff that W, OOOs, and Fourze did but the plot feels a lot like Showa Era all of a sudden. One thing I've been wondering is why Zangetsu is still in the promotional material with the rest of the good guys like Baron, who was always more of an Anti-Hero and Ryuugen who's the secondary rider. Why would he team up with Gaim and Baron in that newest movie, anyway?

There's precedence for it. Blade's second opening had Leangle working with the others and he remained an antagonistic rider until like Ep 45.

Alternatively: Zangetsu might get a chance to redeem himself, as it seems that the Yggdrassil guys have their own agenda as much as they are working together. See: The fact Professor Warren Statesman didn't need to know about mass-produced Genesis Drivers, the fact that Sid actively did his own thing outside of the supervision of the others, etc.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 21, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Darksaber posted:

This show keeps getting more and more amazing, it's almost not fair.

I might get trashed for this, but I'd say that right now we're on par with Double at this point for strongest Neo-Heisei entry. And we're not even at the halfway point. And hell, we haven't even had a bad episode, and even Double gets docked for the "Heaven's Tornado" nonsense.

poo poo. It's really weird to have the newest entry be one of the strongest. I don't know how to feel.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Potsticker posted:

Five of the first seven episodes were really terrible. Fourze had a stronger opening and it spent TEN episodes introducing the core cast.

I really disagree with that. I think that maybe, maybe the first episode could have been bad but I feel like I've never been let down by an episode. I dunno, might just be me though. :shrug:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I mean, it's not like even the best Rider shows don't have their flaws. Kuuga is amazing but it's got such a slow burn that you could fall asleep during it. Kabuto's plot basically self-destructs at the midway point which compounds with a divisive main character, Den-O might as well not have a plot, Double has some of the worst offenders for monster suit design (Sweets and Violence, anyone?) compounded with a mostly nebulous villain endgame, OOO from like 16-30 is a boring drag, Fourze starts slow and for all of it's great cast holding up the show the plot is very much on a backburner for half the series, and Wizard has issues with payoffs never matching their build-up.

I don't think it's people having no frame of reference, but I do think this is the best "story-driven" Rider we've had since, well. Kuuga. It's true the monsters are kind of just "there" and the Energy Riders being kind of samey in how they operate, but I can legitimately not think of a story-driven Rider that's worked better than Gaim has.

I mean, hell. Look at how people reacted to the whole Helheim is another civilization ruined by Invess reveal we got this week. People were calling that we weren't going to see what was up with that until mid-summer. It really says a lot about Gaim that the writing is so strong that the most we can say is "this character needs more screentime" or "I'd like to see more unique monsters".

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 3, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

It's entirely possible Yggdrassil inbursed the workers they displaced with a large sum of money so that they didnt go broke during construction or something.

Of course, the most likely reason is we need visual cues to establish Baron as the top dog team and what better way to do that then show off Baron's swanky pad compared to a shot of team Gaim's run down garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Potsticker posted:

The trade off has been that now it seems that every episode ends on a fight, tune in next week to see how it resolves. Without the old structure Gaim drags out resolving story beats for far too many episodes.

To be honest, this is a problem with the writing in general, since even when it came to W the two-episode arc boiled down a lot to

• WE'RE FIGHTING IN THE FIRST EPISODE!
  • WE BEAT YOU!
  • Next episode, you get away somehow????
  • bum around for 20 minutes i guess
  • OKAY FIGHT FOR REAL THIS TIME

• Locked thread