Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I actually really liked the first episode of Gaim, but maybe it just looks better because of how dull Wizard was. Kouta is already a far more interesting character than Haruto and has an actual personality, instead of "a guy who exists to become Wizard (and also likes donuts)." The monster fight actually wasn't that good in my opinion, but I can forgive that since it'll hopefully get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Now that I think about it, I think the only other Heisei Rider series that started out with the main character not already knowing how to use their powers/have someone to tell them was Faiz, although despite not knowing how to use it Takumi was a pretty quick learner.

Allarion posted:

Doesn't seem like it since Wizard only met Gaim by crossing over into another dimension/universe. Or it's the far future since crossing into that dimension ignored time since a past version of Kosuke was there.

They might do what they did with OOO and have an AU version of him that fits in the shared continuity.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Speaking of Ryuki, is that dude Bandou at the juice bar the same guy who played Kitaoka's assistant, um...Goro? He looks like the same guy at least.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Literally every rumor I have read on JEFusion is completely false.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hi, my name is Kamen Rider Faiz! You might not recognize me at all because I literally cannot hold onto my belt that only I and the monsters I fight can use! Now enjoy watching me lose it every other loving episode because I'm a massive loving moron.

Yeah but then he can steal one of the other belts like when he ran around as Delta for a while.

Now that I think about it, Kusaka was the only one in that series that transformed into all three Riders.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think he lost it like once, I vaguely remember Yuji transforming into Kaixa at some point. Yuji transformed into I think Kaixa and Faiz, but never Delta, whereas Takumi was Faiz and Delta, but never Kaixa.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That's disappointing if true because with the way the guy was obsessed about eating the fruit, and his helmet found there, I thought for sure that Bat Inves was supposed to be him. Kinda like a "forbidden fruit" type thing going on. If he wasn't Bat Inves then it's probably unlikely that he was one of the weaker ones, meaning he probably did just get killed. Though I wonder why the fruit didn't have the same effect on the Beat Riders (aside from the one guy saying it looked kinda good).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Er sorry, yeah, got screwed up and forgot that Beat Riders was only a term for the Riders proper. I meant the other members of Team Gaim.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I love Blade and I'd put it up near the top of my favorite Rider series, but the beginning is difficult to get through for a lot of reasons. It picks up about when Blade gets Jack Form I think. I'll definitely rewatch it when it gets better subs.

I'm sorry If you can't get on the Tendou train, but the episode where he shows up disguised as the priest at a wedding cemented him in my mind as basically one of the best riders.

"God Said This..."

He's 'perfect' but he's so drat entertaining to watch which is something true of all of Kabuto.
The moment you mentioned was great but I still can't stand Tendou. Even near the end of the series when it looks like he's gone insane, it turns out whoops he totally knew the villains' plan the whole time and just didn't feel like telling anybody. He also seemed to be nigh invincible, I remember him pretty much dominating every single fight he was in which got sort of boring.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Raizor posted:

Early heisei is plenty goofy, it comes with the bugman superhero territory, but they're also DEFINITELY more serious and drama oriented more often than the campy showa shows and the likes of W through Wizard, for better or for worse. Gaim seems like a good blend so far.

Yeah Faiz especially I remember being pretty much "two minutes of fighting at the beginning of an episode, 18 minutes of drama, and two minutes of fighting at the end of the episode" for a large portion of the series. From what I've seen (haven't watched much of Kuuga yet and only a small bit of Agito, but seen all of the rest) Kabuto is where Kamen Rider started getting pretty goofy and Den-O is when it fully embraced it, even though Den-O does get sort of serious in the later episodes.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'd be surprised if it turned out to be brutally gut-wrenching the way Gen's most famous works are, but in the odd chance this is one of those stories we can at least have some measure of confidence that it'll be told well.

Unless it pulls a Hibiki, which I hope won't happen.

I'm gonna echo that Ryuki is a pretty great series, even if I'm not particularly fond of the TV series ending. I also had no idea Dragon Knight had such a different premise. I mean that doesn't even make sense given what I remember of Ryuki.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

The thing to remember about Dragon Knight having such a different premise is that American and Japanese media have far different views on what is and is not "children's programming".

I was more talking about how much of the suit footage (which I assume they just adapted and didn't shoot any new stuff like Power Rangers does) was mostly Riders fighting each other. I'm just confused as to how they adapted that as the Riders all being buddies given that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I hope they are selling well, if only that this format is a lot more interesting than the two-episode one-monster arc format and I'd like to see it continue.

I was really hoping that they'd dropped the two episode format they had done since Decade when this show was announced, and I'm glad it turned out to be the case. It worked well in Decade and W, and it was alright in OOO and Fourze but starting to overstay its welcome. I think Wizard almost looked like it was going to drop it and I was hopeful this was the case, but they stuck to it and I think that was probably another reason the show was so dull (besides all the other problems it had).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

I'm glad they're starting to tie loose ends early re: Yuuya's disappearance instead of trying to drag it out like say, Wizard :v:

The only thing it seems they're dragging out a bit is Micchy trying to hide the fact that he's Ryugen from his brother, but it makes sense in the storyline and I'm sure the reveal isn't going to be too far off now that it seems Yggdrasil is gathering up the belt owners.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Wizard inflicted PTSD.

That, and Hibiki.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I hope not, because there's no real way that a shot of a ruined city should be enough in and of itself for Micchy to decide it's something they absolutely cannot tell people.

It would be if what someone said earlier is true and it's a ruined Zawame City. This would mean that Helheim is a parallel world where the forest destroyed the world. Come to think of it, that might be why they're so adamant about destroying the plants whenever it crops up and hiding the truth from the public, because if people knew that there were plants from another dimension that would destroy the world, I can imagine it causing mass panic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Those dancing Invess. :3:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

linall posted:

Speaking of Gaim specifically, the only time the Inves were really at the forefront of the show was just before and a bit after they stumble upon Helheim. For that period we were getting Inves that weren't inspired, but were a step up from the basic grey Inves and were unique for the time. Right about the time the next level of Inves started getting repeated and samey was when the story shifted focus to figuring out what Yggsdrasil was up to. It would be weird to put a ton of detail into creatures the show doesn't even bother to name.

I agree with this, to me it really doesn't matter that there aren't many Inves designs because (for the moment at least) they're kind of peripheral to the actual story going on. So far Gaim has very much not been a monster-of-the-week show, so it makes sense that they wouldn't be too invested in making a bunch of unique suits like they do for that kind of show, since in that style of show the monster is the focus of the episode. The only real exception I can think of to this is Faiz, where the Orphenoc suits were cool design-wise, but they all were just solid gray and as such it made the monsters seem really dull and same-y.

If the Inves start playing a larger role in the story (and I'm certain they will) then they'll start making more unique suits.

I'm also not bothered by the fact that Inves summoned from Lock Seeds are all the same. Pokemon is a game about "catching them all" and making them all look different and be unique helps make it interesting to go out and catch and evolve them. The Inves were just meant to be a thing for the Beat Riders to use to control stages. They were basically just tools, not gathered just for the sake of it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"First ever Kamen Rider and Super Sentai team-up!"

Wait, so what was episode 25 of Decade then?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I gotta say though Micchy's actions in this episode slightly baffled me. I know what his deal is, he thinks Yggdrasil is right and they have to keep everything secret to save the world, and also wants to protect Mai because he's sweet on her. However these two motivations seem to be at odds and the show hasn't really shown this. When the crack opens in the city and Kouta is worried that they'll use the scalar weapon to nuke the city, I feel like Micchy should have immediately realized "Wait that will kill Mai too" I know later in the episode he did finally realize this and go trick them into a shelter, but it's not like he brought her family along (I assume her parents are still alive at least) so even if he'd succeeded in saving her, her family dying would still pretty much shoot her into despair and thus he'd more or less have failed at his goal of protecting her. Maybe they're going to deal with this in the future, but right now I'm having a hard time buying Micchy going "Yeah okay I'm totally fine with nuking the city because we must keep the secret" and also "I must protect Mai always!"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Killer Queen posted:

and doesn't get killed by the Overlord Inves, which I'm expecting at this point. RIP Kaito. Your strength brought you places, but not far enough. Really, I'll be shocked if Kaito is living past the next 2-3 episodes, since there was endless death flags this week. Well, either that or he becomes Kouta's ally for real this time.

Pretty sure Kaito isn't going to die, since the show seems to have set him up to get whatever new belt Ryouma is working on, especially with Sagara mentioning one of the options is him getting his hands "on some dangerous power." He might not survive to the end of the series but I'm gonna go ahead and say no way is he dying in the near future.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The latest episode was pretty great but what really got me excited was (movie spoilers) INUI TAKUMI IS IN THE MOVIE. Yeah Faiz was not a great series but I'm just pumped to see him back because I still think he's a cool character. It took me by surprise when I saw him in the final preview shots and had to rewind to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well the parallels seem to end when you get to Kouta which might be the point since he's the one advocating a path that the Overlord's species didn't take.

But since we've only seen three Overlords so far, and none of them are blue (Gaim's base color) that means the Overlord that corresponds to Kouta hasn't been seen yet, and quite a few people (myself included) think Sagara is the most likely candidate to be that character. It would also explain why Sagara has so much interest in Kouta, and while Kouta is advocating a path the Overlords didn't take, it does seem like Sagara isn't happy about the path they took either.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Lessail posted:

Did they ever get those people out of the space station?

Eventually they were rescued by, oh, let's say...Moe.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Fooley posted:

^^^ Forget that, unless it was for the movie, I saw Sid.

I'm thinking that the stuff after the episode number/title, where they're talking about the sponsors, is all from the movie, especially since it looks like he and Takatora are in the Yggdrasil building and nothing's covered in plants.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Reminds me of the big dramatic fight near the end of OOO where Ankh's arm was very obviously being held together by scotch tape.

Xelkelvos posted:

You could frame it like this: Kouta has no idea what's going on other than they're hooked up to a machine and he's not sure if it would be a good idea to break it since it could do nothing or make things worse. Kaito gives zero fucks about what it is and decides to break it since it seems like the most straightforward option.

Yeah at first I was like "Just smash the machine" but then I realized that if you don't know what the machine is doing (even though it's obviously doing something bad), smashing it might not be the best option because it could kill the people attached to it, and Kouta isn't going to want that with his friends and sister hooked up to it. While we the audience know what's going on, Kouta doesn't, and can't take the risk that it might harm them. Whereas Kaito doesn't care because if the people hooked up to it don't survive then they just weren't strong enough to, and well, too bad for them, stopping the Overlords is more important.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wait Kusaka was in Showa vs. Heisei too? Man now I really want to see it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So am I just not too bright or are we still not supposed to know who Sagara is yet? Because apparently he's not an Overlord.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Not-Mai is actually Mai, somehow.

This is what I'm betting on, that it's either time travel or it's Mai from another dimension where things happened in a roughly similar way. It would explain why she kept warning Mai to get out of Zawame, because she knows what's going to happen to Mai either from being from the future, or from an alternate universe where the same thing happened to her.

Of course I could be wrong and NotMai was supposed to be Roshuo's wife, but as someone else pointed out, Roshuo should have gone "She looks exactly like my wife when she was younger" so the fact that he didn't do that to me implies they're not supposed to be the same character.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My favorite part of the episode, hands down:

"You told me you were going to save Mai!"

"Yes, and I haven't the faintest idea why you ever believed me."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

Well, that sure was an episode. What's the toku major character death tally, because I'm sure Gaim's rocketing up there.

All of toku? Not sure. For Rider though, I'm thinking maybe Ryuki? Unless you want to disqualify it due to the timeline reset.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think the major difference is that Micchy was still fighting to protect someone. Yeah, he was twisted, but his goal was still "I'm going to protect Mai." This is a far cry from everyone else who was pretty much "I want more/unlimited power." This I'm pretty sure is what makes him different from the others, that even though he'd lost all sense of reason, he still at least had a somewhat noble goal in his heart. He was just going about it the wrong way.

Now I'd like to say Kouta's actions were an attempt to show Micchy that he still wouldn't be happy even if he got what he wanted, because he was going about it the wrong way. To go "Hey, look, I'm out of the way, you've protected Mai, was everything you did worth it?" However if I said that it'd pretty much be me excusing bad writing, since Kouta basically said flat out "I forgive you for everything you ever did, Micchy!"

So while I can understand why Kouta didn't kill Micchy, I can't understand his reasoning for not dodging Micchy's attack other than an attempt to make everything more dramatic because oh no Kouta is dead! (Except we all know he's coming back.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think when he first put on the belt his thoughts were something like "I don't care if I can't be with her, I'm going to protect her anyway." I could be wrong, I don't have the episode anymore to check. It did obviously get twisted into "I'm going to protect her so she'll notice me and then fall for me" along the way though. Also I don't know that Kouta ever really knew his true motivations other than him saying a couple of times that he was going to protect Mai, so even if it was for selfish reasons at that point, Kouta is only going to know what Micchy is actually saying.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

As a realistic, logical, consistent world, in universe just taking the hit and not destroying/taking off the belt was silly.

I agree with this completely. I'm fine with Kouta not killing Micchy and don't understand the complaints of those who think he should have (or rather, I understand them but think they're completely missing the point of Kouta's character, as ZenMasterBullshit said), I just think Kouta not dodging was really dumb and only done for a desperate attempt at a cliffhanger.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

(The joke is Kamen Rider Black isn't very good especially in the pacing and character writing.)

If you don't think that a guy walking down the street hearing a kid say "They didn't have the blue one, all they had was brown ones" and immediately thinking "THIS MUST BE A PLOT BY GOLGOM" isn't good character writing then I don't know man.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I'm intensely curious. What was Golgom up to?

Beats me, I made that example up. :v: I didn't see all of Black, just the first ten episodes or so, but even I noticed how silly it was that the slightest thing going wrong caused Kotaro to immediately suspect Golgom. I didn't actually see it, but I vaguely recall a friend of mine saying there was an episode where a character got sick and instead of going "Oh maybe she has a cold, hope she gets better" Kotaro goes "GOLGOM MUST BE BEHIND THIS."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Have they ever said how the original overlords became overlords? It might have been something similar to Kaito's method.

I think that they said that Roshuo basically used the power of the Golden Fruit to become the ruler of his world, and chose the ones who would survive (who were the other Overlords). Whether they actually ate the fruit or not, I don't think was said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

booksnake posted:

You could kinda say that Minato who just wanted to be kingmaker and Oren who's just a practical mercenary aren't really driven to go changing the world, but I got nothin' for Ryoma.

I don't think Ryouma or Sid had any desire to change the future, they just wanted to be the guys on top of the current world, that's my attempt at an explanation anyway.

• Locked thread