Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

The Flying Milton posted:

How many Pokemon are in this game? Is it all of them or just a selection?

A good bit over 300. Pretty good selection too.

Edit: Well poo poo I didn't realize there were that many.

why oh WHY fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Okay so lovely situation here. I gat the physical cart of Y and I pop it into the 3DS and it has the logo pop up and then I get this loving message that says "The SD card couldn't be recognized, please end the game an start again." I have tried ending the game and I checked the cart and there is no damage to it as far as I can tell, and my DS works fine because I just played Fire Emblem. so can anyone tell me what the hell.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Okay did they increase the encounter rate for female Combee, because I have found more females than males. I'm now just catching them then wonder trading them.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
I know it's been stated before but Wonder Trade is probably the most amazing thing done this gen, aside from making breeding easier. I just got a RockHead Adamant Aerodactyl with perfect attack and speed IVs, above average IVs for the rest. Why would you trade that away? At least I traded him an Adaptability Eevee really good IVs all around so I don't feel like a dick.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Dexie posted:

I just hit Amberette Town in my game, and I'm on my way to Glittering Cave next.

Does...does this game know what Gyms are? Y'know, places where you get badges? It feels like it's been forever since I got the Bug Badge. I swear all three of my current team members are going to hit their final forms before the second gym ever shows up.

It's the EXP. Share. It makes the game ridiculously easy. I turned it off for a good portion of the game and only really used it late game to make sure I curb stomped the E4.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Pijeus posted:

Apologies if this has already been posted - I want to get another 3ds xl so I can get X and do trades with myself, if I get a US 3DS ( and a few games that aren't coming out here for ages) will I be ables to do local trades? i could just trade via the thread in here but it feels like a pain in the bum to get sorted.

I'm 99% certain that you can do exactly that. Also it's not that hard to get what you're looking for in the trading thread, most people are happy to give you whatever or just help you trade back and forth for trade evos.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Could someone recommend a set for MegaMawile.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

I am Reverend posted:

The one I've been running on Showdown is Play Rough / Sucker Punch / Swords Dance / Brick Break, Adamant nature and 252 HP 252 Attack. I had Iron Head on it over Swords Dance for a while but it doesn't really hit anything the other moves can't. Brick Break is pretty much only on there so steels don't laugh at you.

LAY-ZX posted:

Iron Head, Play Rough, Sucker Punch, and Swords Dance. I'm not sure Swords Dance is even necessary though, because really the only thing I can think of that none of the three attacks can OHKO is another Mega Mawile.

e: Maybe Brick Break instead of Swords Dance? iunno

Thanks to the both of you for the quick responses.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
So is it possible to change type via Protean with Hidden Power?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Would a Technician Expert Belt Adamant perfect attack IV Mach Punch from Breloom OHKO MKKhan?

I know ForcePalm will but I'm not sure about Mach Punch because of MKKhans stat boosts but I would guess that if it had Stealth Rock damage then yeah it would.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think it's just safe to say that IVs are complicated and maybe kind of bullshit at this point.

If you still think IVs are complicated after this gen then I don't know what to tell you. They were not ever really that complicated, just time consuming because you didn't really have a reliable way to pass them down. Now with the Destiny Knot its so easy.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

SirPhoebos posted:

I caught my first shiny yesterday: a Panpour :geno:

You have the worst good luck of anyone I've met. I'd rather have a shiny Bidoof.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Magikarp is still in the Dragon egg group right? I'm trying to breed Goomy and this Magikarp and for some reason they refuse to make little baby Goomys.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

ChaosArgate posted:

What is the day care guy saying? And did you make sure that the Goomy was a girl/Magikarp was a boy?

He says "The two prefer to play with other Pokemon more than each other." And yeah the Pokemon are the right genders.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Then they're not in the same egg group. Sorry. :shrug:

(For the record, the 'will make an egg but it will take a while' line is something like "Don't seem to like each other very much". Apparently Pokemon mating is an elaborate tsundere ritual.)

It's not that big of a deal its just that both Bulpedia and Serebii say that Magikarp is in the Water 1 and Dragon egg group. I wonder if it changed this gen?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Does the fact that the Magikarp is Japanese matter? I mean its the only thing I can think of.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

The Leper Colon V posted:

No, in fact, it should give you a better chance of the baby being shiny.

I know you already did, but just one more time, check they're not the same gender.

I just checked again and it appears that I am completely retarded. The first time I checked I pulled out both of the Pokemon and I must have mistaken one Goomy for another that was in my party. I feel really dumb right now, sorry about all the confusion.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Shear Modulus posted:

Is there a way to make Wonder Trade not boot you back to the main game after every trade?

Um, what are you talking about? Is it the main screen where you select like new game and the event stuff or what?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Shear Modulus posted:

I mean like the actual game so you have to click Wonder Trade -> Would you like to start a Wonder Trade? again.

Then no there is no possible way around that. Sorry.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Zoness posted:

Also doesn't like Prankster Sableye much.

Does anything like Prankster Sableye?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Whimsicott. Oh Prankster that's Cute. I've got Base 116 Move speed AND Prankster. You'll never Out Taunt me :smug:

I always forget about Whimsicott, which is probably a bad idea now that I think about it what with the Bank opening soon.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

LAY-ZX posted:

Espeon. Most Sableyes I see just light themselves on fire and run away.

If they are dumb enough to actually try to burn you when it's obvious you have a Magic Bounce Espeon then they deserve to be burned.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Annath posted:

What's the best level to evolve my Doublade into Aegislash?

What set do you plan on using?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-72316079

Can someone tell me why he quit? I mean the game had just barely started, come on.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

EGSunBro posted:

You ruined the setup that was essentially his entire strategy. Without that setup he figured he stood no chance and just left to go for other turn 2 deciders.

Thanks, I don't get that kind of team setup. Why would you hinge everything on something so easily nullified.

Does anybody have any good replacement ideas for Rotom-W, he really doesn't pull his weight but I need someone to off set the Dark weakness I have and I can't think of anything better. My main concern is Hydreigon and Greninja who are too fast for or bulky for Aegislash or Chandelure. I was thinking Scizor but that compounds my Fire weakness and I'm not really a fan to start with. I'd really appreciate any advice.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-72553064

I by all accounts should have lost this terribly. I don't know how I managed to survive.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Nihilarian posted:

Is it normal for Xatu to kick Heatran's rear end?

He is actually a surprisingly good counter 90% of the time. He blocks Stealth Rock, ignores Lava Plume with Light Screen up and does reliable damage via Nightshade. He's really a very good Pokemon, Magic Bounce just makes him a very real threat.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

WrightOfWay posted:

That's only against bulky Heatran. Offensive sets 2HKO 50% of the time with Fire Blast.

Roost and Light Screen can stall enough plus switching around on him with Chandulure can really screw him up.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I have a Cottonee with Infiltrator. If I breed it I should be able to get one with Prankster, right? I'm just making sure because I've hatched 12 eggs and they were all Infiltrator. It is hold an everstone if that changes anything.

It should be possible, but the odds are not in your favor.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-72781031

And here we see someone who doesn't know what Magic Bounce is. I could understand not knowing that Xatu had MB but the fact that I just threw status after status back at him should have been a good indicator.
Also I don't know why he was using Pignite... I assumed some kind of gimmick.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Desperate Character posted:

With Dittos, do they always act as the "mother" when breeding with another pokemon, meaning the children will always have whatever pokeball the ditto was caught in? I have Heart Gold and am curious if I can just use that to get every one of the apricorn pokeballs into X/Y when Pokebank opens up.

If you breed a ditto with a male pokemon the Ditto will act as the female so in that scenario yes, if you breed a female with a ditto it will act as a male and the female will pass down its pokeball.

Edit: Look at the post below me for the correct answer because I am a dumb.

why oh WHY fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 27, 2013

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

MrFlibble posted:

Dittos never pass their pokeballs. Only a female pokemon will pass their ball, unless its a master ball or cherish ball.

Oh I could have sworn it was whatever passed down the species also passed its pokeball type onto the newly hatched Pokemon.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

BattleCake posted:

Does anyone know any good pokemon for double-screening other than Espeon? Just want to look at my options so any suggestions are appreciated.

Xatu has Magic Bounce, Roost and can dual screen.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Lord Twisted posted:

How the hell does a haxorous out speed a timid max speed eV gengar?? Am I missing something?

Edit: also obligatory whine that whenever I put someone to sleep it lasts one turn, when it happens to me FOUR TURNS MINIMUM.

Was it scarfed? The only way that's possible is if it was boosted or scarfed because even max speed positive nature Haxorous will be out sped by a Gengar that has timid and max speed EVs.
The sleep thing is real, the RNG hates you and your team.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-73897742

This was my only win of the night and while fun I could have played it so much better... I feel like I need something on my team but I'm not sure what.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Rudoku posted:

That's why my Mandibuzz holds a Lum Berry.

I have never seen a Mandibuzz with a Lum berry. They always have Leftovers or Sitrus berry (which I only saw once).

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Oraculum Animi posted:

I want to use a Swampert but it's movepool doesn't look that diverse and it's abilities are both pretty mediocre compared to similar typings that basically get another immunity (Water Absorb, Storm Drain) so this is what I came up with:

Swampert
252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Def
Adamant
Waterfall
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Roar/Hammer Arm/Avalanche

Unfortunately I think Gastrodon can do everything Swampert can and better.

Except Stealth Rocks.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Zoness posted:

Aren't the genies the only ones out of those that actually invest in speed?

Also:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-74157818

Can't stop the bird.

Is Taunt just not used in Ubers?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Zoness posted:

There's serious 4MSS on most ubers mons, and poor distribution among the fatlards of the tier. Mewtwo and Yveltal are the main taunt users but usually don't have the bulk to survive a switch-in and they're both fairly weak against Ho-oh.

Skarmory is one of the better taunters in the tier although Skarmory has pretty bad 4MSS in ubers too.

Oh okay I guess that makes sense. I've never played in Ubers because it never really caught my fancy, the choice of viable mons seems to be fairly low which is never really fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

BattleCake posted:

If 2 pokemon that both have weather-inducing abilities get sent in at the same time, what determines which weather prevails?

The pokemon with the lowest speed gets its weather activated.

Edit: For example if Tyranitar and Politoed both enter on the same turn (assuming 0 IVs in Speed on both) Drizzle would activate then Sand Stream would activate thus overriding Drizzle.

why oh WHY fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 2, 2014

• Locked thread