Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't mind having a "cute" pseudo instead of the typical badass look.

But why is it dragon at all? Is there some kinda myth about a goopy slug dragon I've never heard? I think it would have been better with a secondary type, too.

Pretty cute, though, not gonna lie. Doubt I'll ever find a place for it, not with Mega Charizard, Mega Ampharos, Noivern, Tyrantrum and Dragalge in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

... Seriously? It's even French so it fits right in.

I'm kind of impressed. Still not going to use it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hahahahaha I don't even like manectric but that's too cruel!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

qnqnx posted:

I'm not even sure if it is going to topple to the sides or hunch forward.

Both!

It falls diagonally, see.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Unbound posted:

:doh: And there goes my hope of him being in the same light.

Venusaur's ability isn't really a problem. It's a fairly good one, and comes with increased defensive stats to make use of it.

And in gen V, Venusaur was the highest tiered Kanto starter. His dreamworld ability is Chloryphyl, which turns him into an OU monster. If he's not popular, it's probably due to his appearance. I like him though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ratspeaker posted:

Ditto breeding doesn't pass on hidden abilities.

What they said. Not that I think it matters; you can take the Blazikenite and put it on any Blaziken I think. And anyway, Mega Evolving changes it's ability to speed boost anyway.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Needs more Gardevoire. And... Lopunny, I guess?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Try a max defense Mamoswine with Avalanche and Ice Shard to deal with Salamences and Garchomps, an Empoleon (maybe an Agility set?) for the Dragonites, and Scrafty (Bulk Up, not Dragon Dance) for the Hydreigons and Latioses.
Why Bulk Up? I'm not much of a competitive battler and I thought Patios and Hydreigon were special attackers.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Slightly Toasted posted:

My five boxes of eevee studs feel your pain :smith:

I wish I could pit them against each other, eevee-Sparta style
I don't see why not. Send 6 to a friend and challenge him to a six on six battle. Any that faint get released (or wonder traded). Might be fun.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is bulletproof even that good? It protects against Sludge Bomb and what else?
It's probably better than overgrow, but I'd imagine it's not going to come up too
often. It's held up as a Gengar Killer, but Gengar can learn Psychic, Ice Beam and Dazzling Gleam, any of which of which would wreck Chesnaught. If you're good at predicting you might be able to get a free switch in though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Would it be worth it to run Assault Vest on Chesnaught?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd rather be spoiled for choice than love a bunch of useless crap. My favorite pokemon are bug types. Most bug types are poo poo, and even the good ones share a bunch of weaknesses. So as much as I'd love to load up a team with my bug bros it would end terribly.

Vespiquen is bad but nowhere near Ledian levels. This is solely because Vespiquen actually has base stats that aren't loving awful. That said, she is a bug/flying, one of the worst type combos in the game. You have to be packing something really good to make up for that type. However, Vespiquen doesn't have a good ability or exceptional stats. In fact, her stats are pretty awful because they set her up to be a bulky tank. A bulky tank that has one of the worst defensive types in the game. But hey, heal and attack order are nice...I guess.

I have no idea how you would use her since she is slow and fragile due to her type. I guess she might be okay in a trick room setup.

Someone linked a website that compiles fanart of every pokemon. Before I went to that site I didn't believe compeltely unremarkable pokemon like Stanler, Basculin, or Mothim had any fans but apparently they do.
My favorite Pokemon is Camerupt. For those of you who don't know/remember, it's a camel with a volcano on it's back introduced in Hoenn. Picked one up in Sapphire for reasons. Not very popular.

I named her Meriwether. Sadly, no other Camerupt ever matched her success for me.

Thanks for answering about Chesnaught. I figured that'd be the case.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 2, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Blackheart posted:

You think that sucks? I went into Silver mostly blind and, wow, is that a glyph pokemon? I bet it's actually super powerful since psychic is obviously the best type! Oh and he comes in multiple shapes this is wicked awesome! Unown, we're gonna be best pals forever!

... at least I could catch a Natu outside those drat ruins an he's actually pretty cool and adorable.
oh god. Unown. So worthless. I feel your pain.

If it wasn't bad enough that it's useless, it has almost 30 forms. How much time and effort did they take away from other 'mon's for that?

And to top it off, they hyped it up as super powerful. It isn't.

Having said that, if it had had an interesting gimmick to it I'd be OK with them. It doesn't.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MinistryofLard posted:

I kind of liked Drowzee when I first saw it as a little kid. Thought it was a ballin' hypnosis tapir and that's pretty cool.

My favourite pokemon is still Ivysaur, after all these years. I don't give a drat if the grass starter sucks, I love him and thats that. :colbert: Clefairy is running a close second though.
From what I understand, I think Venusaur is one of the better ones. If you don't mind evolving your Ivysaur, that is. It's hidden ability is chlorophyll, and it's Mega Evolution has thick fat, both of which are great for it in different ways.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm on it. My code is a few posts up too.

Fake edit: Thanks for the Boldor and Magcargo Toasted.

Now that's just pathetic...
I dunno. Bergmite's a cool dood.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't care for rivals much anymore.

I think Gamefreak is trying to get us to bond with them. I've never felt anything more than mild irritation when a rival comes on screen. In Gen I and Gen II, that works. Blue and Silver are colossal douches. You aren't meant to sympathize with them, you're meant to beat sense into them.

The new guys? They do all the work of antagonists, fighting you multiple times, delaying your progress, but you're not supposed to think of them as enemies.

Now, if they allowed co-op play, then I might bond with someone over pokemon battles. Especially if they were already my friend (Like Barry, Bianca and Cheren are supposed to be).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

When did Oak lie?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mega Gardevoir looks like an onion.

Shiny Mega Gardevoir is cool though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oops, misread.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Life Orb Alakazam is poo poo and doesn't hit harder than Mega Alakazam. At level 100, Life Orb Timid Alakazam has 479 effective Special Attack and 339 Speed while Modest Mega Alakazam has 493 Special Attack and 399 Speed. 399 is still enough to outrun base 130 so the only thing Modest loses to that Timid doesn't is +1 Gyarados. Mega Alakazam can be good with that speed, power and coverage but it's ridiculously weak to priority (though it can take a hit from everything weaker than Band Scizor Bullet Punch and even survives that 50% of the time) so it's not worth using over Mega Kangaskhan or Gengar but better than the likes of Manectric.
speed boost doesn't kick in until the second turn, so timid will be faster until then.

Edit: And I'm calculating 372 speed, not 339. Still less than Mega, but still.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 15, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Mega Manectric is the dumbest looking Mega Evo outside of Mega Venusaur. :colbert:
Mega Heracross :colbert:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

How did I never notice Camerupt got Rock Polish? This is going to be great. Might Eruption be better than Fire Blast, though?
Without taking a recovery move? When it needs to set up and is almost certainly going to take hits? Yeah, Fire Blast is better.

You could also set him up on a trick room team and increase his defenses instead of speed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoness posted:

I'm not a fan of sash cloyster unless you can reliably use him as a lead. Tyranitar and Hazards tend to wear away at his sash pretty effectively and make the way for priority.

King's Rock (or White Herb if you're not a real man) all the way.

Also U-turn lead into a Rotom isn't something Cloyster likes at the start of the match, and later on it's hard to get in with hazards cleared unless you devote a lot of slots to setting up for cloyster (which can work just fine, it just generally isn't how I go about building teams)

Also for some reason I think it would make sense if bulletproof protected you from Icicle Spear and Rock Blast. Make Chesnaught the perfect Cloyster counter (as opposed to being useless)!
Hey, Chesnaught can almost counter Gengar. That's got to count for something, right?

Right?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Immer posted:

I think he was waiting for the Destiny Bond to wear off (since it lasts until Banette makes another move), but he should have gone for the safer play and taken down Banette with the Cloyster instead of letting Banette survive for the Machamp, but it's a moot point since I didn't expect Bullet Punch.

Not almost; Bulletproof Chesnaught stops most Gengars cold.
As long as Gengar's not carrying Psychic or Dazzling Gleam (or Hidden Power), sure.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Octag posted:

Adaptability on something with 180 base special attack, 140 base speed, and STAB on Draco Meteor and Psyshock seems like a really bad idea.
Or a good one. You know, depending on how you think about it. :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I am Reverend posted:

It also got access to Switcheroo and Aqua Jet. I'm pretty salty about Crawdaunt getting four huge buffs and OG Kingler still not getting more than one move that uses Sheer Force.
I'm with you brother. Kingler is my favorite crustacean, I wish they'd give him more moves to play around with.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MustelaFuro posted:

Behold the power of... charm!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-71358596
Apparently debuffs are great morale killers.
Why did he use Close Combat on Hillary Fluff?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah Steel/Psychic went from a good type combo to be a pretty bad one due to the nerfs. I never liked Metagross so I can't say I care too much about him falling off, but Bronzong was a cool dude.
I'm not sure I'd call it bad. It still has a handy amount of resistances and immunity to poison. Bronzing's abilities also help.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

alcharagia posted:

I've never really got why Eelektross was considered a bad Pokemon by most "competitive Pokemon authorities" I've spoken to.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-71610090
I have no idea how good or bad it is but you DID baton pass quiver dance onto him. I'd be surprised if he didn't put on a good show after that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

They all have dumb plots. Except maybe Gen I, if only because it's so simple.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

I didn't do any grinding AND it is really, really easy to get in new guys into the team even if they're several levels behind. The EXP ALL of Gen 6 kind of makes up for reverting back to the "old" exp formula but it seems to just massively overlevel you more than anything else.
I think most people tend to make a party of six and rarely if ever switch anyone out. In gen 6 it might be better to make a party of twelve and rotate them as needed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

why oh WHY posted:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-72553064

I by all accounts should have lost this terribly. I don't know how I managed to survive.
Is it normal for Xatu to kick Heatran's rear end?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Toastymcfly posted:

Man what a boring safari! Panpour? Really? Ha ha. But I'm online now.
Quagsire's cool though.

:wooper:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Let's be real though, "Lord Satan" is about the best nickname there is.
I'd prefer Stan. :v:

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 1, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoness posted:

I just watched this one again and him not earthquaking Rotom-W gave me a chuckle.
What's funny about it? I wouldn't have earthquaked Rotom-W either. It has Levitate, right?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoness posted:

Mold Breaker.
Oh yeah.

... In my defense, I'm not a fan of Mega Gyarados.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoness posted:

I pay attention to it in particular because Gyaradosite is one of the cooler mega stones - in that it's also sometimes a great idea to not activate it, turning Gyarados into a 2-mode thing that can kill Rotom-W (and Rotom-H is even worse off) out of nowhere or take all of CharizardY's moves like a champ in the sun while 2HKOing with waterfall.
Sounds strong.

It just... kinda looks like a jumbo shrimp to me. :shrug:

Took a look at the stats. Was not expecting base 130 Sp. Def.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

I don't have BW2, and don't really want to buy it. I trudged through BW1 because I wanted to transfer some SS pokemon, and I don't think I can go back to old exp share again. I also don't really want to go through the breeding process on BW2, and figure out what the dream world thing does.

I think about just trying to trade for one, but I really want to be the OT on all my final pokemon so I can change their names freely.
Trade for one then breed it?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

But they don't keep the tutor moves through breeding :/
Make a new friend and ask him to name it for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

Waitwaitawaitwaitwait.

Tell me more about this farfetch'd.

I might be... interested... in such a bird.
He has a leek sword.

• Locked thread