Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Welcome to the Humble Bundle thread! Their service has been running long enough that I think it merits its own discussion alongside the Steam or GOG threads. Use this to discuss whatever bundles are available now, what our hopes and dreams are for future bundles, and to commiserate over owning at least 5 copies of Bastion by now.

What is a Humble Bundle?
It’s a service that runs bi-weekly name-your-own-price promotions for historically indie games but occassionally other things too. The idea is that they put up a bundle of games (or sometimes other things) and let you choose how much you want to pay for them. A portion of proceeds (also user-controlled) goes to charity as well.

Really? Any price?
With most indie bundles you can get at least keys from the developers for as little as 1 cent. Steam keys for bundles, however, cost a minimum of $1. There is also usually some games that are held back unless you pay above the average price for the bundle, which is usually in the $5-6 range. So to get everything it’s not QUITE any price, but it’s still way cheaper than it would cost normally.

What charities does Humble Bundle support?
It varies depending on the bundle. Most frequent charities have included Child’s Play and EFF, but other charities that have been used have been the American Red Cross, Charity:Water, and Watsi.

What bundles have there been in the past?
Over 40 bi-weekly bundles, and over 30 weekly sales. These have been from indie developers (including games such as Bastion, World of Goo, Amnesia, To The Moon, Super Meat Boy, and FEZ), as well as big-name publishers such as THQ and EA. There have even been bundles for e-books and stand-up comedy routines. You can see a full list here

What format do the games come in?
All over the map! While the bulk of games are for Windows, there’s also a great deal of support for Mac, Linux, and Android games.

Anything else I should know about Humble Bundle?
That in many cases additional games are added to bundles in the final week of the sale. These games are typically added to the “beat the average” tier, but if you’ve already bought the bundle then usually you’re given them for no additional charge! So it never hurts to buy early.

There have been both “Humble Android Bundles” and “Humble Mobile Bundles” but both have had Android games. What’s the difference?
Humble Android Bundles (or Humble Bundle With Android) provide keys for both PCs and Android. Humble Mobile Bundles just have Android keys.

Are there more sites like this?
You bet! Although Humble Bundle is the most popular, and has a number traits that people like (charity involvement, multiple platform support, etc.) there’s other sites out there.
Notable ones include:
Indie Royale - Price goes up as more people buy, but if you beat the average the price will go down for others. Offers Steam and Desura keys.
Indie Gala - Works identically to Humble Bundle, but doesn't get as much traffic and therefore less big headlining games.
Groupees - Offers "Build a bundles" which give a massive selection of games and lets you choose a selection to buy. Offers bonus unlocks for cumulative bundles sold.

What are the current bundles up for sale?
Updated 9/9/14

Contains: SteamWorld Dig, Hammerwatch and Gunpoint
Beat The Average to get: Papers, Please, Gone Home and LUFTRAUSERS
Pay $10 or more to get: Prison Architect (Early Access)
Pay $65 or more to get: 30-page issue of HIB Informer Magazine, two lapel pins of the Humble Bundle logo and Arstotzka Crest from Papers, Please, a HIB 12 Super Shirt, a HIB 12 Shareware 3.5" floppy disk, the HIB 12 EP on vinyl and a collector's box
Charities supported: Electronic Frontier Foundation and Child's Play
Expires: 9/23/14

Contains: Dungeons of Dredmor Complete, World of Goo, AudioSurf and Armageddon Empires
Pay $6 or more to get: Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Teleglitch: Die More Edition + Guns and Tunes DLC and AI War: Fleet Command with The Zenith Remnant, Children of Neinzul and Light of the Spire DLC
Charities supported: Electronic Frontier Foundation and Doctors Without Borders
Note: Teleglitch and World of Goo require Steam
Expires: 9/11/14

Humble Bundle now has a permanent storefront available! They promise daily deals on a rotating selection, with 10% of all sales going to charity.
The store, however, does not have the name-your-own-price or slider control features of the bundles. Since the inventory is set to change so frequently, I won't be covering it in detail here.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Wow, am I the only one addicted to these bundles?

OP updated with the latest weekly bundle. Not a particular fan of Penny Arcade or Hothead Games, but if you are, it's your week!

Does anyone have any opinions on the main Humble Bundle? I heard good things about Bard's Tale from the GOG thread but I know next to nothing about the other stuff.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
I got the bundle for Ticket to Ride mainly. Worms Reloaded is good as well. Never heard of or tried the other ones.

XQ
Jun 22, 2004

I came with Demond.

macnbc posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on the main Humble Bundle? I heard good things about Bard's Tale from the GOG thread but I know next to nothing about the other stuff.

I enjoyed Greed Corp, and this quick look of Incredipede makes it look bat-gently caress crazy.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-incredipede/2300-6790/

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

primelaw posted:

I got the bundle for Ticket to Ride mainly. Worms Reloaded is good as well. Never heard of or tried the other ones.

The screenshots for Ticket to Ride makes it look kind of like Railroad Tycoon. Is it similar or totally different?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ticket to Ride is the videogame adaptation of a board game. It is nothing like Railroad Tycoon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, its actually more like railroad-themed rummy. All about melding sets of cards.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Bard's Tale isn't an amazing game by any means but it's still worth playing if you liked Dragon Age 2's "humorous" dialogue choices because Bard's Tale does it better and the combat is pretty fun. I have so many games from the various Humble Bundles that i haven't even touched.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love these bundles because they're a great opportunity to play the games that I wasn't sure I was going to like. Like Jagged Alliance. I've been intrigued by the idea for a while, never really got a sense of it, and then it came up in a bundle so I snapped it up so I could find out, well, I'm not actually that impressed. But at least now I know and my money has gone to charity, so I feel good all around!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lotish posted:

I love these bundles because they're a great opportunity to play the games that I wasn't sure I was going to like. Like Jagged Alliance. I've been intrigued by the idea for a while, never really got a sense of it, and then it came up in a bundle so I snapped it up so I could find out, well, I'm not actually that impressed. But at least now I know and my money has gone to charity, so I feel good all around!

I think the concept of it sold me when I realized I could buy a copy of Fez without giving Phil Fish any of my money. It was a win-win!

Edit: I hope there's a Stardock bundle in the future for much the same reason.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 17, 2013

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Greed Corp is fun as hell and you should play it with your friends.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

macnbc posted:

I think the concept of it sold me when I realized I could buy a copy of Fez without giving Phil Fish any of my money. It was a win-win!

It's also cool because you can get the (alright) Penny Arcade games this week without giving them your money

it should also be noted that humble bundles make people have legitimate emotional breakdowns. i've seen people even on this forum call others morally bankrupt for paying one dollar for steam keys

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

John Romero posted:

It's also cool because you can get the (alright) Penny Arcade games this week without giving them your money

It's one of those situations where i really like the devs but don't want to give PA my money.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

macnbc posted:

Edit: I hope there's a Stardock bundle in the future for much the same reason.

Haha that'd be the best thing.

Also, is this thread open to other bundles? A general bundle megathread would be great, right now useful info gets buried in the Steam thread.

There's someone on RPS's forums who does a great job of collating all the bundles but sadly the thread doesn't have much discussion of whether bundled games are any good: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?3511-The-onward-march-of-the-bundles-of-March

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Haha that'd be the best thing.

Also, is this thread open to other bundles? A general bundle megathread would be great, right now useful info gets buried in the Steam thread.

There's someone on RPS's forums who does a great job of collating all the bundles but sadly the thread doesn't have much discussion of whether bundled games are any good: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?3511-The-onward-march-of-the-bundles-of-March

Since Humble Bundle is the 800 pound gorilla I decided to focus on it, but I think it's fair game to talk about some of the smaller sites out there too (Indie Royale, Indie Gala, Groupees etc.)
I don't plan on updating the OP with every single bundle out there but if people want to post/talk about them go for it.

Edit: VVVVV- Funny you say that because I was just putting that in the OP while you posted that.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 17, 2013

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I wouldn't mind a list of all the bundle sites, even if their current bundle isn't explained in the post. Even if it's just an "Also see:" list of links and little else.

Anyone else grab last week's Focus Interactive bundle? Between Cities XL and Blood Bowl I had to grab it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CitrusFrog posted:

Anyone else grab last week's Focus Interactive bundle? Between Cities XL and Blood Bowl I had to grab it.

I had Confrontation on my wishlist already, so getting that and a couple of other "I've heard of you but know nothing about you" games on the cheap was a huge boon for me.

I would feel bad but I think I've bought Divine Divinity/Divinity II at least 3 times EACH now. They've got my money.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I had Confrontation on my wishlist already, so getting that and a couple of other "I've heard of you but know nothing about you" games on the cheap was a huge boon for me.

I would feel bad but I think I've bought Divine Divinity/Divinity II at least 3 times EACH now. They've got my money.

Confrontation has piqued my curiosity and I've got it downloading at the moment.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Did the Double Fine bundle end up giving you Spacebase steam keys? If it did I'm kicking myself for not buying it.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Party Plane Jones posted:

Did the Double Fine bundle end up giving you Spacebase steam keys? If it did I'm kicking myself for not buying it.
It only gave you a key for the prototype.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Worms 2 for android looks like fun, but I'm worried the touch controls would be frustrating.

Has anyone played it on a tablet?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I got Bard's Tale on the cheap, felt cheated, then discovered that the original trilogy is tucked away inside one of the menus.

Then I found out that it was an emulation of the PC version, and not one of the better ones like the Apple or C-64, and felt cheated all over again.

I got this one for Incredipede and Anodyne. Incredipede has been a reminder of just how much I dislike physics puzzles, despite a really lovely presentation and body-building gimmick, and Anodyne... sweet Jesus, Anodyne. That game is so far up itself, it's a singularity of rear end.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
New games available

The Android 7 bundle just got updated to include the following games:
Broken Sword: Director's Cut
Organ Trail: Director's Cut
Anomaly Korea
Ticket to Ride: Europe DLC

All of the new games (not the DLC) have soundtracks available as well.

If you already paid over the average for the bundle, you should have access to these as well now.

I haven't played Organ Trail or Anomaly Korea, but you should play Broken Sword if you haven't. It's a classic adventure game title and :iia:

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 22, 2013

Gaardean
May 28, 2012

CitrusFrog posted:

I wouldn't mind a list of all the bundle sites, even if their current bundle isn't explained in the post. Even if it's just an "Also see:" list of links and little else.

There's a Indie Bundle Wiki that does pretty well on keeping a list of them all.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Gaardean posted:

There's a Indie Bundle Wiki that does pretty well on keeping a list of them all.

:tviv: I had no idea Groupees was doing a bundle with Hellsinker in it. That game owns, get a copy if you can.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
New weekly bundle is live!

Cipherprime bundle
Contains: Splice, Fractal, Pulse
Pay $6 or more to get: Intake and Auditorium
Note: Intake is a new release exclusively available through this bundle.

This is the first bundle I've seen that I've heard absolutely nothing about any of these games before. Anyone play or recommend these?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Gaardean posted:

Bookmarked, thanks.

Also, thanks to the Bagfull of Wrong bundle listed there I am now aware that a game exists with the utterly fantastic name War Twat.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So the main Humble Bundle appears to be on a temporary hiatus, with nothing replacing Android Bundle 7.

On the weekly front, Team 17 games are now available.

If you REALLY like the Worms games, this one's for you.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Alien Breed series?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

macnbc posted:

So the main Humble Bundle appears to be on a temporary hiatus, with nothing replacing Android Bundle 7.

gently caress I wanted that Sega bundle so bad :(

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Call Me Charlie posted:

gently caress I wanted that Sega bundle so bad :(

The Sega bundle was real, it just wasn't Humble.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Vakal posted:

Worms 2 for android looks like fun, but I'm worried the touch controls would be frustrating.

Has anyone played it on a tablet?

I can't stop my kids playing this.... clearly it works for a 7 year old.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Team17 bundle is worth for Worms Armageddon alone, so much time wasted on that as a kid and I've been wanting to play it again for years.

However, it looks like when you go to get your Steam keys for games now it automatically activates the product on your account instead of printing out a code for you to copy into Steam itself, so no more easy gifting :( Maybe that's just for this bundle though?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 1, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Team17 bundle is worth for Worms Armageddon alone, so much time wasted on that as a kid and I've been wanting to play it again for years.

However, it looks like when you go to get your Steam keys for games now it automatically activates the product on your account instead of printing out a code for you to copy into Steam itself, so no more easy gifting :( Maybe that's just for this bundle though?

Nope, this is how the Humble Bundle is going to do it from now on to prevent people from selling keys later.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Complained to them about the key redemption change and they replied back that gifting individual keys has always been against the terms of service. gently caress them, it's mine to do what I want with.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

AlmightyBob posted:

Complained to them about the key redemption change and they replied back that gifting individual keys has always been against the terms of service. gently caress them, it's mine to do what I want with.

"gently caress them"? You realize that if you want Humble Bundle games for gifting purposes, you can get a full set for 1 cent, right? I'm not sure they're harming you with this as much as you think they are.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

XboxPants posted:

"gently caress them"? You realize that if you want Humble Bundle games for gifting purposes, you can get a full set for 1 cent, right? I'm not sure they're harming you with this as much as you think they are.

Uh, except you can't?
The issue at hand is with Steam keys, which you can only get if you pledge $1, not one cent. You also wouldn't get any Beat the Average games which usually are in the $5-6 range.

The issue isn't the cost so much though as the principle. I use Bastion in the thread title because it's shown up in several bundles now. Let's say you already own it on Steam. If you buy a new humble bundle that includes it now, when you go to redeem your other games on Steam then Bastion will essentially get thrown out because you already own it. At least on the old system you could give away your spare to a friend, even if it was technically against TOS.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

macnbc posted:

Uh, except you can't?
The issue at hand is with Steam keys, which you can only get if you pledge $1, not one cent. You also wouldn't get any Beat the Average games which usually are in the $5-6 range.

drat, I never knew that! I was wrong there, then.

macnbc posted:

The issue isn't the cost so much though as the principle. I use Bastion in the thread title because it's shown up in several bundles now. Let's say you already own it on Steam. If you buy a new humble bundle that includes it now, when you go to redeem your other games on Steam then Bastion will essentially get thrown out because you already own it. At least on the old system you could give away your spare to a friend, even if it was technically against TOS.

It wasn't just "technically", it was always an obvious abuse of the system. Not so much what you're talking about, but especially when people keep a copy of the game for themselves, and then give the Steam key to a friend. That's always been a big loophole, and how is Humble Bundle supposed to distinguish between people like you, and people that are abusing the system to get two copies of the game?

If you already own Bastion, can't you just choose not to give any money to Supergiant, and then just pay that much less money for the bundle? It's pretty funny to see someone worried about getting ripped off by the Humble Bundle.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 2, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
This story was linked in the Steam thread: http://www.reddoorbluekey.com/features/interviews/hackers-stole-30000-blackwell-deception-steam-keys-dave-gilbert-responds/

quote:

A few hours later, I learned that the offer was so popular that it shut down BMT’s servers. BMT being the sales provider I use to handle the sales and distribution of our games. I looked into it and discovered why. People were ordering multiple copies of the game – hundreds at a time. And collecting Steam keys for reselling later. This is something I didn’t anticipate happening, so I removed the Steam keys from the giveaway and placed the game on a few other websites to use as mirrors. BMT made the game live again, and I hoped that was the end of it. Sadly, no. It almost instantly led to a large number of angry emails and tweets – people like playing on Steam! – so in the end I decided to see if I could do something about it. I asked BMT if we could create some kind of “1 code per IP” system, to prevent exploiting. They said it was possible, and created a Steam key generator page that could detect your IP.

This didn’t deter the resellers, however. They easily masked their IPs and began chewing through the Steamcodes again. At that point I threw up my hands and decided to cancel the free giveaway altogether. I had been monitoring the giveaway and dealing with the Steam issues and download problems for 36 straight hours and I was exhausted. There was only so much work I was willing to do for a free giveaway, and I had reached my limit. I told BMT to cancel everything and put the regular sales page back up. I finally collapsed to get some much needed sleep!

The next morning I woke up to discover something terrifying. BMT did remove the link to the Steam key generator, but they hadn’t removed the generator itself. It was still being exploited. The link to the generator had propagated its way onto the internet, and the resellers had been hard at work. 30,000 keys were nabbed overnight while I was sleeping.

As things stand right now, I am attempting to get those 30,000 codes disabled.

People used a Steam key generator that was supposed to be offline and spoofed their IP address to get around it's 1-per-IP address limitation to grab thirty thousand free keys to resell. Never underestimate how dickish people are willing to be to make a quick buck. And while 100 $1 donations and 1 $100 donation to the Humble Bundle both technically show up as $100 raised, the transaction/processing fee from places like PayPal and Amazon is a significantly larger percentage of each of the $1 donations since it's the same for every transaction regardless of size, so they make significantly less money from a bunch of small minimum donations than they do from an individual larger one. So while this is annoying to those of us who don't abuse it and just give away spares of what we already have, blame the assholes who try to abuse sales like this to make a quick buck, not Humble Bundle. Besides, it's not like only getting 6 games for $6 instead of 7, for example, is a bad deal.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So when I try to redeem the keys by signing into Steam, the pages just loads infinitely or, if I do get to the Steam page, it's half-loaded and I have no way to link my account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

AlmightyBob posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually backtrack on this policy because it is so terrible.

• Locked thread