Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
I've preordered a surface pro 2, 128 GB version. Still wondering if the 2lb weight makes in feasible to use as a tablet for an extended period of time and or if it would cause wrist strain to hold it up.

I didn't think the power cover was going to make the surface into a clamshell, definitely going to wait and pick that up then instead of a type cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Got my Surface Pro 2 yesterday at Midnight from the launch party and got a type cover 2 as well. So here are my thoughts after one day.

Good:
-Battery seems pretty decent. I used it for about 5 hours, surfing the web, ETC. Still showed 2 hours left.
-Windows 8 is 10x better with a touchscreen than with a mouse. Seems to be running smooth. Boots up very quickly.
-Speakers are pretty loud for a device this size.
-Digitizer Pen is very nice.
-Screen seems to be great quality.
- Definitely feels like a top notch product. Doesn't feel cheap or flimsy. Not sure if I'd want to drop it or anything though.

Bad:
-Pen attached to the magnetic battery slot. Got loose when I put it in my bag.
-Type Cover 2 doesn't have actual keys for the mouse buttons.
-Slightly heavy to hold in one hand in tablet mode.
-Only one USB port.
-Gets lukewarm. Not uncomfortable though.

Was it worth one grand? Still not sure yet. For what I wanted to use it for, I probably could have saved a bit of cash and gotten a bay trail atom windows 8.1 tablet. Although I'm going to go buy Civ 5 and I might change my mind after installing it.

E: As cool at the side by side window pinning and everything is, I can't really see myself using it, ever. Especially not on a 10.6 screen. Unless it's something like Skype or instant messaging.

Zarfol fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 23, 2013

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Is Windows RT a sinking ship at this point? I saw that Microsoft (and Newegg) are unloading refurb LTE enabled Nokia 2520's for $250, which for the specs seems like a pretty good deal (since office is included as well).

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Not sure if this was a good deal or not, but I just purchased a ThinkPad 2 tablet refurb from the Microsoft store "refurb seller" on eBay for $249. Clover Trail w/digitizer and a 1366x768 ips display. Thing arrived brand new. Has a SIM card slot and a GPS receiver as well.

drat thing took about a day to do windows updates and update to windows 8.1.

Was worried that clover trail would be slow as all hell, but after the windows 8.1 update and Lenovo driver updates, it looks like metro apps run a bit snappier then the surface rt. Digitizer pen is great and doesn't seem to have any major lag when annotating PDFs or in OneNote. Battery life has been great as well, estimated around 10 hours while just screwing around on the web and taking notes. Nicest feature is that the pen slides into the tablet and that the windows button is a physical button on the front.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Update on the ThinkPad Tablet 2 purchase : Returned. drat thing simply had too many issues even though it's a great price and the build quality/weight was awesome. Tablet doesn't wake up from sleep (connected standby). Only way to get it back on is to force shut down and restart from full and apparently this is a common problem. Even then, if it DOES sleep in connected standby without screwing up, battery drain was about 2-3% per hour compared to the stated "30 day connected standby" time. Essentially, everything revolving around the tablet sleeping just doesn't work well at all. Kind of disappointed.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
So I migrated from the Surface Pro 2 to a galaxy note 10 2014 (i didn't need such an expensive device to take notes and I got the galaxy for $300) and man does android suck a major one in comparison to windows 8.

Thoughts on android (first time user) compared to windows 8
Half the "apps" in the store are designed for phone and are essentially worthless on a large screen. Or they are just dumb skins for a website. I'd rather just go to amazon.com then go run a separate app for Amazon.
The browser(s) are no where near as good as IE. First time I have ever said that.
Apps crash a bunch
There are more games on the store than windows 8.
Quick to wake up from sleep.

I don't understand how Windows 8 sucks (on a tablet) except for omgwherescandycrush!?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
After fiddling with the SP3 for about 16 hours on and off over the last few days , I feel like I need to return it due to some issues.

WiFi keeps crapping out on me, even after I did the firmware updates, etc. If I force turn off the WiFi and turn it back on it works fine.

Display scaling absolutely sucks. I'm fine with stretching screens and what not, but I for some reason could not get some older games working outside some ridiculous letter boxing mode. I tried lowering the resolution in windows, DPI scaling, etc, just couldn't get it to work. I also tried playing civilization 5 in native resolution since I couldn't get it to stretch, but 5 minutes in there were odd black boxes and minor artifacting.

Was running way too hot. Watching YouTube videos in IE made the bottom right uncomfortable to hold and the fan kicked in full blast while just idling.

Not sure if I just ended up with a defective model or not, but man this thing would be amazing if it worked 100%. I may grab a bay trail with a digitizer since the core processors are probably overkill for me.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Is the proposed core-m broadwell an atom/bay trail successor or a haswell successor?

I really want to grab a new laptop or tablet but am waiting it out.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
If this is the case, hopefully heat should be lessened as well. Would be great to have a fanless, non throttling sp3

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
OK so the Thinkpad 10 128 GB version with 4GB of ram (bay trail) was recently dropped to only $399 on Lenovo's website! As much as I want to wait out for a SP4 or the Thinkpad Helix with Intel Broadwell, the price point was too good of a deal to pass up, especially since it has the Wacom digitizer as well.

Opted out of the $119 Keyboard dock for now, seems a little pricey.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Got my Lenovo ThinkPad 10 and have been playing around with it for the last few days. Runs a little warm on the left bottom and middle while idle, but apparently this is normal. Good performance and digitizer for $399. Price unfortunately jumped back to ~$800 range which is a little too pricey with the surface 3 at that price point.

Its ridiculous how much nicer windows 8 is compared to android. Metro IE simply owns and while there aren't official apps for everything, they are generally much nicer for larger screens than the android apps.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

Just how bad of battery life are we talking? Can I watch 4 hours of YouTube videos on it?

I'm looking to spend less than 500, and that surface pro refurb posted earlier seems hit all the key points I was looking for. Is the 1st or 2nd gen surface rt going to feel anemic for the tasks I described?

Do any of those you recommended hit that same price point?

I bought a bay trail tablet thinking I would use a bunch of legacy software but I've essentially been able to stay in metro mode all the time. I just use my windows tablet for youtube (prime tube app), Facebook (the app is good), ebooks (nook/kindle), and surfing the Web. Internet Explorer for metro has flash support and is a better touch friendly browser than I've used on an Android tablet. The SA app is pretty good as is the reddit app as well.

Really depends on if you need specialized apps. The surface 2 or Nokia 2520 are pretty cheap, especially if refurbished or used.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Lenovo released a new Helix 2.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-helix-2nd-gen

Has the new Intel Y processor, 4 GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD, keyboard included with Wacom Pen. Starting at $979, maybe less with the B&N discount or through your workplace.

11.6 inch and 1.7 LBS. almost the same weight/size as the SP3. Plus extra ports on the keyboard.

Hopefully the surface sees a price drop to compete.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Papercut posted:

When I try to navigate to https://www.google.com on my DVP8, IE pops up a "There is a problem with this website's security certificate" message and recommends I not continue. What the hell, Microsoft?

I had this exact same problem on my thinkpad tablet. I had to change the date and time to something else, then set it correctly and restart, which fixed that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Guitarchitect posted:

After reading Ixian's post it really reminds me why I was second-guessing the decision to get an SP3. The big dealbreaker for me is apps... I have an android phone so it's sort of annoying to think that the apps I've paid for won't translate over to my tablet. And even if I buy an app twice, there's no continuity there. I see the ASUS stuff and I think - that's exactly what the SP3 should be! Windows in Laptop mode, android in tablet mode. If the ASUS stuff was 12" and had an equally good stylus to the SP3, I'd be all over it!

I've just been using Genymotion on my windows tablet when for some reason I needed an android app (needed to order something from NewEgg and got a discount if I used the app). Worked fine and I'm on a baytrail atom processor. Was bored and downloaded angry birds to test what it could do and ran at full speed.

Obviously not a permanent solution, but if you "Need" an app for some reason, it is available. I've heard of a thing called DUOS Android, which you are able to somehow run an x86 version of android (at near full core i5 or whatever speeds) while in Windows, but I didn't bother to test it.

Doesn't solve the bigger picture though of course. But the fact that I can run my desktop games and crap on it makes up for it.

• Locked thread