Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
What kind of use of the L2-R2 buttons does this game make? I'm thinking about joining but only if I could play it on Vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

L2 and R2 rotate the camera.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Follow-up question: was this game pre-sticks, meaning I could re-map camera movement to the right stick with no loss of buttons?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

^^^^^ Right stick doesn't do anything.

I'm in.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
I'm in.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm in. There's no way I can screw this up.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

I'm in too!

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Thanks for the info, I'm in!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I remember some of the GBA ones were actually OK (and I heard one of the other console ones was as well), so I'm in.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 31, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I really loved Spyro as a kid. I don't know if I'll have time, but I'm tentatively in.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Kikkoman posted:

What kind of use of the L2-R2 buttons does this game make? I'm thinking about joining but only if I could play it on Vita

You know the Vita uses the rear touchpad as L2/R2 right?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I know it does, but if my time with Final Fantasy Tactics has taught me anything, it's that replacing L2-R2 with the back touch screen was not a good idea.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

In a pinch you can turn that off and use the corners of the front screen as well, but that's generally not that useful for things that need you to use the buttons at the same time such as camera control in an action game.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I missed the last two challenges, so why not? I'm in.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Ah, for some reason I never got round to playing this one at the time, despite always liking the look of it. Okay, I'm in

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009
Only remember playing on a demo disc, don't think I ever really played the full game. In for Spyro.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
I'm in. From what I recall not having to 100% will make this a lot easier too.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/6A9pblO.png http://i.imgur.com/SlL8E3x.png

Done with Spyro

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In the first Spyro can you hold the shoulder buttons to point to missing gems or is that a feature added in the sequel?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

al-azad posted:

In the first Spyro can you hold the shoulder buttons to point to missing gems or is that a feature added in the sequel?

Sequel feature.

Beaten this game before but I'm in for the second go around.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Is that the bare minimum item-wise to finish the game? I played about 3hours yesterday and got like half way there.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kikkoman posted:

Is that the bare minimum item-wise to finish the game? I played about 3hours yesterday and got like half way there.

6000 Gems, 50 dragons, and I think like 5 or 6 dragon eggs is the bare minimum.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Spyro the Dragon complete!

That was pretty enjoyable, so I decided to fully beat it. I have a love/hate thing with collectathon games, and this one wasn't obnoxious (most of the items were on the way, too). A little "jinjo"istic and sometimes the mechanics were clunky or a little too strict, but pretty good for a third-party 3D platformer. Nice to be back after skipping last week (I remembered challenging one of Sega's racers in the last thread and not being into it at all).

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

^^^I like that we took almost the same exact screenshot for completion. :hfive:

Challenge complete. 100% could have been added to the challenge requirements because it really wasn't that much more difficult. The camera/controls would sometimes get in the way of making a perfect jump for a couple levels, but overall, a non-controller-throwing challenge.

Having never completed this game, I'm glad I took it on. A good early PS game with expected controls and camera issues. The responses from the majority of the dragons when you save them were either really weird or very short. You can really tell this was an early game in Insomniac's career.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Pictures coming really soon, but I just want to put it out there first: The Gnasty Gnorc last level was a real son of a bitch

edit: DONE

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 3, 2014

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Done. Seems like 100% wouldn't take that much longer, so maybe I'll go back and finish up later:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I'm gonna stream the Spyro the Dragon challenge with friends. Only we're racing it because why not.

http://www.twitch.tv/succinctandpunchy

Race's over. I beat the game. Woop woop.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 3, 2014

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
Got to the end of Spyro. Before this I had only played demos of them, but this reminded me why I was firmly in the Crash Bandicoot camp as a youngster.

For thread consistency:

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Spyro finished!

Pretty fun game. I had a couple of issues with the controls and camera but nothing too terrible. 100% probably wouldn't be too bad to get, but this is good enough for now.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Finished Spyro.

This was actually pretty fun! I'm not sure why I had never played this game before, but it was a pretty good little platformer. The only issues I had were with the controls and the camera causing some unnecessary deaths. But with such an early 3D platformer, you kind of expect it to be a little rough around the edges.

Also, the game actually looks good. Normally I expect PS1 games to look like rear end, but they did a good job with the art direction.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Which camera did you guys choose, anyway? I switched to "Active" right at the beginning, wonder if it made it easier or not. The manual's not too helpful on the difference, but I think what it does is switch it behind you a bit quicker?

Edit: You know, I don't think I ever satisfyingly used the dodge move, either, just quicker to jump except for like one part.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 4, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Spyro done! Finally, a success in the new season.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Doom Goon posted:

Which camera did you guys choose, anyway? I switched to "Active" right at the beginning, wonder if it made it easier or not. The manual's not too helpful on the difference, but I think what it does is switch it behind you a bit quicker?

Edit: You know, I don't think I ever satisfyingly used the dodge move, either, just quicker to jump except for like one part.

I started with Passive, then changed it to Active after the first level. Then, I switched it back to Passive in the Beast Makers world because it was really pissing me off with some of the more challenging jumps to get all the gems. I think I ended up liking Passive better because you could more easily line the camera up behind you to get a perfect jump setup.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
I'm in Dream Weavers right now and I guess I have to grind gems since I have just under 4000. It really seems to be a low point in terms of fun, though. Kind of glad I had Crash Bandicoot as a kid, Spyro feels pretty undercooked.

Goddamn, 6000 gems required, and it's the worst thing to collect when it's mostly in 1s and 2s.

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know

A Miserable Robot posted:

I'm in Dream Weavers right now and I guess I have to grind gems since I have just under 4000. It really seems to be a low point in terms of fun, though. Kind of glad I had Crash Bandicoot as a kid, Spyro feels pretty undercooked.

Goddamn, 6000 gems required, and it's the worst thing to collect when it's mostly in 1s and 2s.

When I was playing through I didn't even realize it, but I managed to miss a regular stage and the boss stage from the first world. When I had to collect more stuff to meet the travel to next world criteria I ended up just going back to the easier levels first.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009

luigionlsd posted:

When I was playing through I didn't even realize it, but I managed to miss a regular stage and the boss stage from the first world. When I had to collect more stuff to meet the travel to next world criteria I ended up just going back to the easier levels first.

Thanks for pointing that out, I don't remember doing a boss stage in world one at all. Time to go find it. I've gone back to some of the earlier stages but I'm still 1300 gems off, so it just feels like an unnecessary grind.

edit: And a race with the final boss to top it off.

A Miserable Robot fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 4, 2014

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Boo! Just as I pick this up today

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I've been playing a bunch of Dark Souls II recently. It's pretty good! We're not playing Dark Souls II though. Instead, we're playing the second (or third, outside of the US) installment in a series of games that would eventually become the Souls series.

King's Field II is actually the third King's Field game. In it you will face a large, interconnected world with many, many traps and plenty of difficult monsters. Much like the previous two games, King's Field III loads the game up front to ensure that there are as few load times as possible for a seamless, atmospheric experience.

Your goal in this game is to reach the ending!

This challenge will expire on :siren: Friday, April 11th at 11:59 PM EDT. :siren:

The OP and completion chart and such should be all cleaned up by next Wednesday, I'm just needing to get caught up on some other stuff first. In the meantime, enjoy this challenging RPG.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
I'm in. Question for those who've played it are secret doors and similar handled the same way as in King's Field or is it different now?

Mman fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sure, why not? In. Hopefully it goes better than Virtua Racing.

• Locked thread