Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If you're familiar with Wonder Boy as a series, you know that the original Wonder Boy was eventually ported to the NES as Adventure Island. However, after a while, the series eventually branched off into a subseries called Monster World, which featured action-rpg gameplay and overall, felt different from the main series.

Your goal in this challenge is to reach the ending!

This challenge will expire on :siren: Saturday, December 14th at 12:00 AM EST :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
This is a game I read about in a walkthrough book as a kid and always wanted to play at some point, so I guess it's time to do that.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Huh, I've never heard of this game. I guess I'll give it a shot though. It can't be as bad as Adventure Island right?

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
The game's honestly not that bad until the bullshit final boss. I'm in.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm in for Wonder Boy

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

That final boss certainly was some bullshit but I managed to scrape together just enough to win when I was on the verge of asking where to find some extra heart pieces. Beyond that it wasn't much trouble outside of one or two difficulty spike areas. It even manages to not be that obtuse for an early 90's pseudo-Metrodvania.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Alright, I hate to do this but I'm conceding defeat on this one. I just can't take that loving final boss. That is some grade-A loving retarded bullshit. I can't do it, I just loving can't. I gave myself invincibility with a Game Genie code just so I could see the ending, and it still took forever to kill the drat thing. I just can't take getting bounced around forever with nothing I can do about it. Is there some trick to make it so you don't just get juggled constantly?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

judgementbringer posted:

Alright, I hate to do this but I'm conceding defeat on this one. I just can't take that loving final boss. That is some grade-A loving retarded bullshit. I can't do it, I just loving can't. I gave myself invincibility with a Game Genie code just so I could see the ending, and it still took forever to kill the drat thing. I just can't take getting bounced around forever with nothing I can do about it. Is there some trick to make it so you don't just get juggled constantly?

Some tips:

-The boss was designed to be fought with all 14 heart containers, so you might wanna go track some down if you haven't found them all. Similarly, you'll want an elixir and a super potion, which you can purchase from the dragon village.

-The first phase is pretty simple; the boss won't hurt you if you touch it, so you can pretty much just go right up against it and just hit it until the armour breaks

-During the second phase, you can use the power magic to do double damage to the boss, and you can spam the lightning magic to help clear the lasers. Your super potion will completely refill your health, so wait until you're down to half a heart or so before you use it.

The boss is much easier in the original Japanese game (and the TGCD version), they specifically made it harder for the international audience. Yay?

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
For how I did it, I eventually focused on conserving health on the easy first phase and used shield magic (which is useless in the second phase where there's so much poo poo flying around) there. For the second phase the conveyor is so random I couldn't find much strategy beyond using Thunder for the turrets when there's an opening and tanking straight into the boss to do as much damage as possible when the conveyor is moving towards it (combined with casting Power).

Also don't even try if you don't yet have the full legend set (there are three more pieces to find after the sword) from Nightmare Castle, at least ten heart pieces (I did it with ten) and an elixir and hi-potion. If you want a couple of easy heart pieces try looking around some earlier dungeons as a Pygmy.

Mman fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 9, 2013

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Mman posted:

For how I did it, I eventually focused on conserving health on the easy first phase and used shield magic (which is useless in the second phase where there's so much poo poo flying around) there. For the second phase the conveyor is so random I couldn't find much strategy beyond using Thunder for the turrets when there's an opening and tanking straight into the boss to do as much damage as possible when the conveyor is moving towards it (combined with casting Power).

Also don't even try if you don't yet have the full legend set (there are three more pieces to find after the sword) from Nightmare Castle, at least ten heart pieces (I did it with ten) and an elixir and hi-potion. If you want a couple of easy heart pieces try looking around some earlier dungeons as a Pygmy.

Except I already had all that. And I had 12 hearts. Ugh, maybe I'll just go collect the rest of the hearts.

e:nvm, I missed a VERY important chest in the pyramid. That should make things easier.

judgementbringer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 10, 2013

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, I finally managed to beat it. Turns out I missed a ton more magic chests than I thought I did. Turns out that having twice the Thunder charges and three times the Power charges made it a whole lot easier. Being able to throw out Thunder with impunity meant I wasn't constantly getting juggled by lasers. And I had more than enough Power to last the whole fight.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

It doesn't really sound like the few of you who played Wonder Boy in Monster World had fun. How about we play something a little more well known?

Donkey Kong Country is the first game in the Donkey Kong series that was neither produced nor directed by Shigeru Miyamoto, and the second best selling SNES game. It features pre-rendered 3D graphics turned into sprites, which gives it a distinctive look. It also features music by David Wise, known then for his work on the Wizards and Warriors series of games, as well as Battletoads.

Your goal in this challenge is to defeat King K. Rool and reach the ending!

This challenge will expire on :siren: Saturday, December 21st at 12:00 AM EST. :siren: There will be no challenge issued next Saturday for Christmas.

Manual

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now this I'm down for. I've completed DKC2 and 3 but never the original. I've "beaten" K. Rool on a rented save but never went through the game in its entirety.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm in. Oddly enough this was one of the last games I ever owned for my SNES; I've beaten it before so I should have this one in the bag.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
A fantastic game that has aged remarkably well. Also the easiest game in the DKC series, in my opinion.

I still remember the commercial. ACM GRAPHICS!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
...yes.

Yes I will do this.

I was unable to finish this game during the Let's Race about it, and I am NOT gonna let this game beat me like that. Thank you for suggesting this Shlapintogan, I'll get this done sharp.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Eeeeh, why not. I'll do it. Every time I try replaying this game I usually give up around Vulture Culture.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Okay I'm in. From what I recall it's not too tough outside a few levels anyway.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hopefully I'll have more time to play this than Castlevania. I'm in.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009
Bees. Goddamn bees.

Yeah sure I'm in for DKC.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Give me an hour or two and I'll be back with a completed game. Played this game for the tournament in the Let's Race thread and got pretty good at it, so this should be a piece of cake.

EDIT:

One hour and a minute later....

Bottom's my RGM savefile, top's my racing savefile. Mad I didn't cut the one hour.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 15, 2013

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm down for this, it was a childhood favourite except for the game over screen which terrified me for some reason.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

Pretty sure most of that was spent on snow/ice levels.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm down for this challenge. Time to bust out the SNES.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I'm down for this. I've beaten this game like 50 times so it's no big deal.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I'm in. Haven't beaten this since I was about 10.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

I played this a lot when it came out but not in the last 5 years or so. Still fun, and I remembered a surprising amount of secrets.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I'll count it, but next time, please call in first before you post your completion. It helps me keep track of who's participating and who isn't.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Whoops, sorry about that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just a heads up that I'm playing the Japanese SFC version. There's no design differences.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

al-azad posted:

There's no design differences.

It's significantly easier in almost every level.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Welp. I did it. It took me two days and quite certainly longer than what the game time indicates...but I did it.

Here's a video I made of the beginning and the end of my playthrough. I even deleted my original Let's Race save file to make certain I would play this fair.

The screenshot below is my finished new save file with time on it (but I can tell you now it took me 41 minutes to get through that goddamn world 6).

Finally I have washed my hands of this game. Thanks for this opportunity guys. :downs:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 16, 2013

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Believe it or not I never played this one. I guess I will give it a shot.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

I wasn't expecting to finish tonight as I was playing really, really badly to the point of getting game over every other level later on, but then I had nearly pushed through to the end anyway so I decided to finish up.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

There we go. This game is so easy, I decided that I wouldn't post a time til I got under an hour, just to make a little more challenging. But then I got it first try. :colbert:

judgementbringer fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 16, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Learn something new everyday. I'll fire up an emulator then.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Well, I'm in.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Most of my time was spent farming lives. I forgot how bullshit some of the gimmicks levels were.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If anyone is trying this keep in mind that farming only works if you marathon it, the game resets your lives to 5 whenever you load a save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I'll probably give it a shot later if I'm up to it.

• Locked thread