Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I'm in. I love the Souls games and I've been needing some motivation to play this game.

When are you going to post the bonus challenges? Depending on what they are it might be nice to know before I start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Alright, I finished Wild Guns. It was a lot harder than I remember it being, but that's probably cause I always played 2 player instead of 1 player.

The game is super fun though. Way more fun than King's Field. :(
I feel like I'm just running around blindly in that game. I'm level 10 and haven't even found a shop yet to use all this gold I've been piling up. If this goes on much longer I might have to break down and look up a walkthrough.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Cheese Bread posted:

If you go from the starting cave area, into the cave mouth where the broken bridge begins, head through the stone wall door, then through the first set of wooden doors you see. Follow the corridor and when you come out there should be writing on the wall directly in front of you advertising herbs for sale.

Turn right, and you'll see an open area with a collapsible bridge and a lever. Across the bridge, up the stairs, and to the right is a hallway leading to the north village. (Go past the graveyard entrance!) Al Hunt is a fat guy eating soup who will sell you Earth herbs, antidotes and other such things.

If you turn left instead of right at the wall writing, there's another bridge and stairs to the south village. A guy there sells weapons and such. There's also a key maker who will sell you keys to chests.

I hope that helps!

Ahh, okay thanks. That should get me started at least. I was wondering how to get keys. I can't count how many locked chests and doors I ran into while I was flailing about...Didn't expect someone would just sell them to you.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

-In case you missed it, there's a map in the starting area on the furthest side of the island beyond the fisherman. I couldn't imagine playing this game without it.

There's a map?!? :psyduck:
Well, that would've been nice to know earlier.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

Might not be able to make Wild Guns. The tank boss is a loving douchebag. I just can't get this rear end in a top hat down it's incredibly frustrating.

That guy is a freaking rear end in a top hat. It took me forever to get past him. You really just need to be on the edges of the screen so you have enough time to react to the flamethrower. As far as I can tell there's no way to know if it'll go high or low until it actually comes out. :argh:
The final boss has similar attack, as in, it has two versions and there's no way to tell ahead of time which one he's gonna use.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Welp, guess I'm going to have go ahead and concede defeat on this one. :( I just haven't had the time or patience to get through it, and I doubt I'll pick it up again. It's really nothing like the Souls games at all.
The best part of those games is the combat. In this game it's basically an afterthought. An annoying chore that's slows you down as you try to explore. I'm sure this was great back in the day, but aside from the atmosphere it really hasn't aged well at all.

I kind of want them to remake this game but with the Souls combat system. I'd play the hell out of that game.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Oh God, this game. I could never loving beat this thing as a kid. :argh: I'm definitely going to give it a shot though.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I finally did it. This game was a huge pain in the rear end. So many bullshit sections. :argh:
That last part of 8-3....I must have died at least 40 times to that poo poo. :negative:

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I'm in. This game is really fun and I've beaten it before, so there's really no excuse.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, finally got around to doing this challenge. Thanks for giving me an excuse to replay this game again. It's probably my favorite of the "classic" Castlevania games. It doesn't have the laser-guided focus that the original has, but it's a still a lot of fun.

My only real complaint is the Death fight and the Dracula fight are too easy. They're traditionally supposed to be the hardest bosses in each game, but in this one they're kind of a joke. You can safely cheese Death by sitting to the left of the block, and Drac lets you fully heal yourself in between phases.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

crowbb posted:

Finished. Holy crap Dracula was a pain. Also, oddly I had a ton of trouble with the first boss of the boss rush but not the rest of them until Drac.

Yeah that first boss is kind of pain until you get his pattern down. His hitbox is bigger than you'd think by looking at him.

Also, Drac really isn't that bad. He's actually one of the easier Drac fights. In between phases, he shoots light balls that zoom around. If you hit, them they drop chicken. And he stays in this phase til you hit him twice. So you can just heal yourself this way at your leisure

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Huh, I've never heard of this game. I guess I'll give it a shot though. It can't be as bad as Adventure Island right?

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Alright, I hate to do this but I'm conceding defeat on this one. I just can't take that loving final boss. That is some grade-A loving retarded bullshit. I can't do it, I just loving can't. I gave myself invincibility with a Game Genie code just so I could see the ending, and it still took forever to kill the drat thing. I just can't take getting bounced around forever with nothing I can do about it. Is there some trick to make it so you don't just get juggled constantly?

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Mman posted:

For how I did it, I eventually focused on conserving health on the easy first phase and used shield magic (which is useless in the second phase where there's so much poo poo flying around) there. For the second phase the conveyor is so random I couldn't find much strategy beyond using Thunder for the turrets when there's an opening and tanking straight into the boss to do as much damage as possible when the conveyor is moving towards it (combined with casting Power).

Also don't even try if you don't yet have the full legend set (there are three more pieces to find after the sword) from Nightmare Castle, at least ten heart pieces (I did it with ten) and an elixir and hi-potion. If you want a couple of easy heart pieces try looking around some earlier dungeons as a Pygmy.

Except I already had all that. And I had 12 hearts. Ugh, maybe I'll just go collect the rest of the hearts.

e:nvm, I missed a VERY important chest in the pyramid. That should make things easier.

judgementbringer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 10, 2013

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, I finally managed to beat it. Turns out I missed a ton more magic chests than I thought I did. Turns out that having twice the Thunder charges and three times the Power charges made it a whole lot easier. Being able to throw out Thunder with impunity meant I wasn't constantly getting juggled by lasers. And I had more than enough Power to last the whole fight.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I'm down for this. I've beaten this game like 50 times so it's no big deal.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

There we go. This game is so easy, I decided that I wouldn't post a time til I got under an hour, just to make a little more challenging. But then I got it first try. :colbert:

judgementbringer fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 16, 2013

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Hey it's Klonoa! These games are super fun. :3:
I'm definitely in.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
And I'm finally done.

This was actually a lot harder than I thought it would be. Also, I like how everyone is using that same shot. :3:

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, I am totally in for this. I've beaten the first one a few times but I've never actually played this one before.

Also, thank you so much for having some mercy and picking the second game instead of the third one. The third game is horseshit, because of the limited continues. Why they made that change I'll never know. It just forces you to play through all of the easy stuff over and over again to get a crack at the harder stages again.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

Aren't the Japanese versions normally harder and they make it easier for the sake of Americans or some poo poo? Least that was the case for some Mega Man games and whatnot.

Though we do the reverse for them like when Rare had Battletoads and Donkey Kong Country in Japan and for some reason they made it actually EASIER for them.
Back-insult or what v:v:v

For some reason it tends to be the opposite actually. I can't really think of any examples of where the Japanese version is harder, but I can think of a ton where the American version is harder. Battletoads, DKC, Adventure Island, and one of the more infamous cases The Adventures of Bayou Billy. Speaking of which... that game should totally be a challenge for this thread. :unsmigghh:

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
EDIT: You know, I'm wondering if some of my frustration with this game is due to the emulator I'm using. I'm not sure why, I've played the original on this same one and didn't have a problem. But I am noticing a whole bunch of graphical issues, especially with the shadow clones. Like, they'll be straight up invisible most of the time, and when I use a subweapon only one actually displays. Is it possible that the emulator is losing actual objects and not just sprites? Unlike the first Ninja Gaiden, I've never actually played this game on a console before so I don't really have a point of reference, but the hitboxes are definitely behaving strangely and I'm wondering if it could be the emulator and not the game. Like is the game supposed to have really wonky hitboxes on everything? Like, am I only supposed to be able to hit Jacquio in that symbol? And only with the very tip of my sword? Or is he supposed to be damageable anywhere on his sprite?

judgementbringer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 13, 2014

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

Ninja Gaiden 1 had a lot of that hitbox stuff, too, though? The only time I felt it was beyond bad was on the last level where one if the early screens I had to make sure to hit the bat, or else the sword would just straight up not count as a collision for the below enemy. Otherwise, like I mentioned, it was usually just the game having to take into account the increased subweapon usage of the sequel.

It wasn't nearly as bad though. And they did make the sword's hitbox a lot smaller in this game for some reason, which is a big reason why the hitboxes are so much funkier. I'm going to try again though, but with a different emulator. Hopefully that'll fix the graphical stuff and slow downs. Cause I checked it out as per a previous suggestion and it was actually dropping a lot of frames. It's supposed to run at 60 fps, but when I ran it with a frame counter it was dropping to about 40-45 fps at certain spots.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Well, this is a freebie. I'm in. :)

Are we allowed to break the game in half, or do we need to do this legit?
Cause this game is broken as hell, and they recently found a way to break it even further.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

MediumWellDone posted:

Yeah, it's an utter mess. But its the only version I've got access to ATM.

Anyone remember the spell inputs? I could only figure out the fireball spell. Up, quarter circle forward.

Some useful spells.

MP cost |50| Soul steal
L, R, RD, D, LD, L, R, + S or O

Does a ton of damage to the entire room, useful for clearing out rooms with a lot of enemies.

MP cost |20| Tetra spirit
HU, UR, R, RD, D + S or O

Sends out three spheres above you that circle and home in on enemies. Very useful for killing enemies above you. Used to quick kill the first boss fight.

MP cost |10| wolf charge
D, DR, R, + S or O

You need the wolf relic to use this. In wolf form only. Extremely fast movement on the ground and you can jump incredibly far while using it.

MP cost |8| wing smash
X + U, UR, L, LD, D, RD, R + X

You need the bat relic to use it. In bat form only. Super quick dash in the direction you end the input on. If you repeat the input before the previous dash ends you'll continue the dash. Chaining Wing Smashes is the fastest way of getting around the castle by a mile. Also, you can get away with just doing X, full circle, X.

There are more, but those are the important ones, in my opinion.

E: FYI, the inputs in this game are pretty finicky, so getting the spells consistently will take some getting used to.

judgementbringer fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 21, 2014

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Finally got around to doing this. God, I'm rusty. It's been way too long since I played this. Also, I couldn't get the new Richter skip for the life of me. :( I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong. So I had to actually go do all the stuff I needed to do to get the Holy Glasses which took me ages to remember. Which is why my time is so godawful. :ohdear:

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

MediumWellDone posted:

Did I make it? I was moving this week and it was hard to find the time to focus. I also forgot how to get the spike breaker armour and hard to wander around looking for how to cut through the dark. Reverse castle was a breeze though.

Thanks for the spell inputs, they helped me avoid a few annoying deaths.

I cleared that room without it. You just need the Bat relic and a couple potions. Fly all the way through the spike corridor, and when you get to the door, untransform and immediately use a potion, then go through the door before the invincibility frames you get from using the potion wear off.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I'm in. As much as I love the first game, this one really is a much better designed game.
It's also harder than the first game. Some of those gimmick levels can be really tricky.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, most of the game is pretty fair, but there's some hidden poo poo in this game, that I don't know how you would figure out without a guide. DK Coin inside a bonus level? :psyduck:

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
^^^^Huh, I'm not really sure how you get 102% then, because I got all of the DK Coins and I'm at 101% :shrug:

It might have to do with getting K-O-N-G in every level? I thought I understood the percentage system, but now it makes no sense at all.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Orzo posted:

I read somewhere that you have to talk to at least every member of the Kong family at least once, that gives you 1%.

Oh, well that would make sense I suppose. I never talked to any of the Kongs besides Funky and Wrinkly. I played this game a ton when I was a kid, so I don't need any of Cranky's hints anymore, and I never have bothered with Swanky's quiz games. You get so many extra lives normally I never saw the point of it. :shrug:

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

I'd also like to take requests for challenges for next season, as well as ask you all a few questions to help improve the thread.

Is there any system you'd like to see more of? Less of?
Were the challenges, on average, too hard or too easy? Just right?
Is there any particular genre you'd like to see more of? Less of?
Did you feel that the manuals, when provided, were adequate material to help get used to a game?
Do you feel like a week was enough time for each challenge? For those of you who weren't with us in the previous thread, it used to be just five days.
Should I keep the section for streaming in the OP? It does sorely need updating.
Is 15 challenges (14 normal, one revenge match) a good length for a season or should there be more? Fewer?
Is Saturday a good start/end date for challenges or should it be moved to a different day?
Would you be adverse to trying an unorthodox style of challenge or should we stick with simpler ones?

I appreciate your input, and by the time the revenge match is over, I should have a good queue of new challenges to take on for next season. Good luck with the Revenge Match!

Alright, here's some feedback.

-Personally, I'd like to see some challenges of N64 games, and less PS1 games.
-The challenges felt fair to me. Nothing too bad. I ducked out of Battletoads though, cause gently caress that game.
-I'd like to see some new genres, we played a lot of platformers. I think some FPS challenges wouldn't be unreasonable. Going along with a previous point, something related to Goldeneye or Perfect Dark would be fun.
-I never read manuals period, so I can't comment on that one. :clint:
-A week is a good length. Going longer won't increase completion percentage, I almost guarantee that.
-Streaming is a good idea. I might actually do a stream or two myself next season.
-15 challenges is a pretty good size. You could maybe do more, like make it 16 or 18, but it's not a big deal. I wouldn't go fewer than 15 though.
-Saturday is a good day to start for most people, Friday would be okay too.
-Yes. God yes. You should definitely have some different kinds of challenges, some crazy stuff. Having every challenge be just beating the game, gets old after awhile. You do have to make sure a challenge is doable, obviously, but don't be afraid to mix things up. Again, going back to the N64 thing, I could think up a ton of crazy challenges for Goldeneye for instance. If you want any advice for some different kinds of challenges, I'd be more than willing to help out.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I'm in for Dizzy. I better do this quick, before Dark Souls 2 comes out and eats up all of my free time.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

There, I finally got it done. Took me four stinking tries. Two actual gameovers, and one playthrough I had to start over because I screwed myself out of being able to beat it.

gently caress this game. It was soooo tedious and, the lack of continues is a huge problem. Having to start the entire game over was irritating to say the least. It also had one of the worst inventory systems I have ever seen. :psyduck:

This game could have been good. The platforming was bad, but I actually liked the puzzles. Unlike a lot of adventure games, the solutions actually made logical sense. If they had just given you some continues and increased the number of items you could keep in your inventory, it would have been far less frustrating. As it is though, this game is just way too tedious for me to recommend, and I will never play it again.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I missed the last two challenges, so why not? I'm in.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Finished Spyro.

This was actually pretty fun! I'm not sure why I had never played this game before, but it was a pretty good little platformer. The only issues I had were with the controls and the camera causing some unnecessary deaths. But with such an early 3D platformer, you kind of expect it to be a little rough around the edges.

Also, the game actually looks good. Normally I expect PS1 games to look like rear end, but they did a good job with the art direction.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

luigionlsd posted:

Any new challenges on deck? If you're looking for suggestions, I'd recommend the following:

Goldeneye 007 - either a full 00 Agent run, or one of the tougher cheat unlocks

This would be awesome. You should totally make unlocking Invincibility a lightning round challenge. Though, you can unlock every cheat with codes, so we have to rely on the honor system, and trust that people did it the right way. Plus, it doesn't take very long to get to the point where you can start attempting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
So, this thread is pretty dead huh? :(

Well, since it's been over a month since Shlapintogan has posted in here, would anyone be upset if I posted a challenge of my own?

• Locked thread