Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mman
Nov 11, 2007
So I take it there's no way to tell whether you've found all secrets in a level beyond saving and see if your % has gone up at all? I've been through just about every level and I seem to be at a dead end with seven coins still to find. There are a few levels left where I haven't found the DK coin, and I'll focus on those for now, but it's not enough to make up everything, and I have no idea where to look.

Maybe people who know could post of the locations of some of the most obscure ones? I should note I'm pretty sure I've found all of Cranky's secrets, and I'm also pretty sure I've cleared out K Rool's Keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Mman posted:

So I take it there's no way to tell whether you've found all secrets in a level beyond saving and see if your % has gone up at all?

If you've found all the secrets in a level an exclamation point "!" appears on the end of the level name.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Oh, I missed those. That'll make it way easier, thanks!

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
Oh I'm in, I love this game.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Going to make an attempt at streaming my... attempt.

Halfway through the game so far. I'll likely finish it tomorrow or Friday.

FreezingInferno fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 30, 2014

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
I thought you had to find everything for 102% but I guess not:

Replaying confirmed what I remembered; it's such a giant leap over the original that it's almost like a different team made it. My time wouldn't have been so long if I had known the ! thing earlier :negative:

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
^^^^Huh, I'm not really sure how you get 102% then, because I got all of the DK Coins and I'm at 101% :shrug:

It might have to do with getting K-O-N-G in every level? I thought I understood the percentage system, but now it makes no sense at all.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
:worship: to both of the above posts.

I'm sure now that I'm older I can deduce where more of the secrets are, and maybe I'll play it again someday.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

judgementbringer posted:

^^^^Huh, I'm not really sure how you get 102% then, because I got all of the DK Coins and I'm at 101% :shrug:

It might have to do with getting K-O-N-G in every level? I thought I understood the percentage system, but now it makes no sense at all.

I read somewhere that you have to talk to at least every member of the Kong family at least once, that gives you 1%.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Orzo posted:

I read somewhere that you have to talk to at least every member of the Kong family at least once, that gives you 1%.

Oh, well that would make sense I suppose. I never talked to any of the Kongs besides Funky and Wrinkly. I played this game a ton when I was a kid, so I don't need any of Cranky's hints anymore, and I never have bothered with Swanky's quiz games. You get so many extra lives normally I never saw the point of it. :shrug:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Donkey Kong Country 2 completed!

That took longer than I thought it would! Great game, although a little frustrating at times. I thought Dixie was a bit cheap, and those last bosses are pretty easy if you abuse the team-up move for hang-time. While I think my favorite song is from DKC1 (Aquatic Ambiance is just so atmospheric), the music's top quality (the remixes like Snakey Chantey are just so great).

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Welp, it took me 2 or 3 days of actually playing it...and...

I may not be a true Video Game Hero...but I finished anyway.

This is the first time I've actually finished the whole game with the Lost World, so this was a real relief for me. I'm really surprised at how well I did with K. Rool.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
Finished in the nick of time!

Look at that beautiful blurry first picture. You can sense the 'oh poo poo I have to take a picture' panic.

I think I lost 30 loving lives in the last bonus stage, in the section with the wind where you have to play as the parrot. gently caress that level.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Warm Woolen Pants posted:

Finished in the nick of time!

Look at that beautiful blurry first picture. You can sense the 'oh poo poo I have to take a picture' panic.

I think I lost 30 loving lives in the last bonus stage, in the section with the wind where you have to play as the parrot. gently caress that level.
Seriously, gently caress that level. gently caress that level so hard. I wanna say I died around 15 times, no more than 20 maybe.

Really have to give props to all the people on here that are actually playing on consoles by the way, that's super-dedication.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

FinalGamer posted:

Really have to give props to all the people on here that are actually playing on consoles by the way, that's super-dedication.

It's the only way.

... I'm not finishing this one though. Not enough time this week to get all the coins.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I'm late by almost an hour and a half, but I figured I'd post anyway.

At 11:30, I had beaten K.Rool with all the Kremkoins and only the last Lost World stage to beat (plus, the final final boss). I figured I had plenty of time to make the deadline. Almost 2 hours later, I can clearly say that I've gone insane. I will have nightmares about the Squawks portion of Animal Antics. That loving wind... I don't remember this game being so difficult from when I was a kid. Is my age really getting to my reflexes? :bang:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, that segment is weird. I had a heck of a time figuring out how much the wind was going to alter my speed, it never seemed very constant (though perhaps it affected acceleration is some way I never pinpointed). I found that just rushing through a couple of the segments, including the beginning with the two Zingers, was much more constant for me. I also thought that the last stretch (from something like the tail end of Krazy Kremland on barring a few levels) wouldn't have taken me nearly that long.

Warm Woolen Pants posted:

Oh man, been there. Another needlessly tense situation I remember was beating some challenge during a thunderstorm in-between power outages (to make matters worse, I think it was a non-saving game like Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts). It also really sucks when you fail a challenge due to health.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
I found the key to that windy Squawks section is to take it slowly and go with the flow; there are a couple of parts where going full speed is good (like the straight with the two unkillable Hornets near the start), but for the most part I found it's okay if you just take your time, focus on getting your altitude right and let the wind guide you around with minor adjustments to your movement when it's needed. You'll probably need a few trial runs to get a feel for the timing on the wind direction switching though.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

After the first couple tries, I started taking it slowly and just letting the wind guide me, but nearly every time I would make a "minor" adjustment at the exact moment the wind changed direction, and I would hurl myself into a bramble wall. I only got to the Rattly portion of the level twice, and never with both Kongs. The rest of the level was so much easier than the Squawks section.

In any case, I'm glad I did it because when my kids are old enough, I can show them the torture I used to think was easy when I was their age.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

It's been a while since we did an RPG challenge, so I figure, eh, why not?

Shining Force is a prequel to Shining in the Darkness, which we played in the previous thread. It is considered to be the Genesis' answer to the Fire Emblem series of games, and is known for its art style and music.

Your goal in this game is to reach the ending!

This challenge will expire on :siren: Saturday, February 8th at 12:00 AM EST :siren:

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

This seems like a fun idea and I've wanted to try Shining Force for a while actually. I'll give this a try.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Calling in again, even though I probably don't have enough time to finish this week.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I'll take a stab at this. I had the PC version of this when I was a kid, but I never actually beat the game.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Oh my lord, if you love strategy RPGs, PLAY THIS GAME! One of the best Genesis games ever made hands down.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
I'm in. I played it a while ago but cheesed it by replaying almost every level for more experience; that made the game super-easy later and also got kind of repetitive, so I guess this is a chance to do it "legit" (outside the small chance I brick-wall anyway).

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
I am in! And I'm *actually* going to do it this time!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Not really my type of game, and I seem to remember the UI is somewhat of a nightmare, but I figure I'll try and give it a shot anyway.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
I'm in! I've always wanted to play Shining Force, but never got around to it.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

Not really my type of game, and I seem to remember the UI is somewhat of a nightmare, but I figure I'll try and give it a shot anyway.

I have to say, the UI hasn't aged well from what I remember back when I was a kid. It's certainly not as nice as Fire Emblem's interface. And the 4 item limit on your main character is really annoying. Every time I open a chest I have to shuffle my items around to other characters.
But overall the UI is serviceable.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

It's certainly not as nice as Fire Emblem's interface.

Personally, I've always hated Fire Emblem's weapon durability and permadeath. Maybe it's because I was raised on Shining Force but I've always personally considered SF to be far superior to Fire Emblem.

I know that makes me the minority.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I consider permadeath to be a greatly gameplay enhancing factor in the right game for it. It made me much more careful in XCOM, for example.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009

Decided to finish this during my days off, and that was surprisingly easy, although it probably would have been impossible with permadeath. I know it's an old game, but the UI could definitely have done with some work, and enemy and ally turn phases should have been separated because wow was it frustrating when an enemy unit took two turns before I could move a unit once. I hope reading the manual is allowed, since I went through it to try and make sense of the turn order in this game (and it didn't help).

Looking forward to the next challenge.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

A Miserable Robot posted:

Decided to finish this during my days off, and that was surprisingly easy, although it probably would have been impossible with permadeath. I know it's an old game, but the UI could definitely have done with some work, and enemy and ally turn phases should have been separated because wow was it frustrating when an enemy unit took two turns before I could move a unit once. I hope reading the manual is allowed, since I went through it to try and make sense of the turn order in this game (and it didn't help).

Looking forward to the next challenge.

The only ones that ever got two turns in a row on me were a few of the "bosses", especially Dark Dragon.

My team made very quick work of them though. Zylo :swoon:

If you haven't played Shining Force II, it's even better, in my opinion. I haven't played any of the other ones...yet.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, crazy. I've been putting a lot of time into it and I think I'm only just before the end of the 4th chapter. I've never played it before, though, except for a tiny bit.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I love Shining Force. I don't know if I've left myself enough time to squeeze it in but I will give it a try!

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Zylo pretty much carried me through a lot of the late game (Domingo being super-tanky and somehow having catnip priority for the enemy AI also helped a lot), of the generic classes it seemed like nothing except my Paladins and Wizards could even damage anything in the later levels, luckily that was just enough.

Mman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 6, 2014

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Shining Force complete!

I think the game picked up around the 3rd/4th chapter, which was nice. Not my favorite game or anything, but it was a neat change. Could've used some better UI stuff (turn order, equippable comparison especially outside shops, etc.) and more variety for the items/spells, though it is old; I think my thumb's going to fall off from holding down A to skip turns so much. I read somewhere that the Shining series often had iffy translations and localization choices, and in this one they butchered the protagonists' backstory... although it's just your usual amnesiac junk anyway.

Even though I heard it was easy, the final boss took me three times believe it or not, I think mostly because of leveling problems I had. Lyle and his bazooka pretty much carried me through the end of the game (though I got him killed before the final boss oddly enough), paired with Zylo and Luke who was just an utter monster. My Guntz didn't seem that good as a tank (some defense, really mild attack at the end there, so I preferred to use Domingo when I could, who dwarfed most of my other characters in leveling despite not really defeating enemies much), and I made the mistake of promoting everyone as soon as I could which led me to having a few junk slots in my party that I filled with low level characters (I probably should've used the Ninja or something, but I was stubborn to try and keep characters even though it really didn't work out). Speaking of painstaking, I made the mistake of carrying Gong through the whole game (I swear I never saw him hit above 1 nor withstand a single hit, and there was no way of knowing how downright glacial and impotently he gained spells), and just got him to promotion at level 10 before the game was over.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Unfortunately I didn't have as much time to play this as I hoped this week. I got to the 5th chapter and I've really enjoyed it so far. Definitely going to finish it this week, but won't be completing the challenge in time.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Well, didn't have nearly as much time during the week as I expected... but I made it just in time.

Zylo and Domingo were as fantastic as always but the real hero for me has always been Gort. Shine on you crazy murderous dwarf. You killed King Ramladu in a single round with a double attack and crit.

EDIT: Uh, that was way bigger than I meant to post. Is there a way to edit my attachment so I can timg it instead? Whoops.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VladTheEater fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I had off work today so I managed to just squeeze it in under the wire. I just finished up a few minutes ago. I was starting to think I would not make it, but on the Dark Sol level I charged straight up the middle and assassinated him instead of my usual method of killing every last enemy. 3 casters doing Level 4 flame and ice spells to the face plus some lucky crits with Zylo and mainguy made short work of Dark Dragon.

• Locked thread