Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why in the name of all that is holy did any car built after 1950 come with 12" wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

13 INCH DICK posted:

got a box in the mail today.

Where did you manage to find a NOS Weber?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

13 INCH DICK posted:

That's actually their current packaging. It's the carb we bought for the froot truck :unsmigghh:

waiting on the base plate adapter and cable adapter kit.

Ugh, so it's actually a product of lovely Chinese origin now?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ExecuDork posted:

I'm fond of it, but I'll toss this one to the crowd:

What say you, AI goons? Shall I pass the Cursed Skull on to its next victim, or hold on to it for a while longer (my studded winter tires have just arrived, so I can get good and proper hosed!)

Yuck, studded? I went with unstudded Conti Winter Extremes, these tires are the loving bomb.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

bandman posted:

I also tend to drive like a complete dickhead when I drive my little 91 Corolla. It zips in and out of traffic and feels like a little go-kart. It seems to actively encourage me to drive like a tool.

What's funny is that I've actually gotten a lot more aggressive in my driving since I went from my Jetta to my Golf. I'm almost afraid to buy a Golf R as I will probably start getting lots of tickets.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What is it with you and spiders?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Didn't you know? 3/4 of a car length is an invitation :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

13 INCH DICK posted:

Well eyeball the above picture and know that the rim is 12" diameter so extrapolate from there.

You should get some 15"s and be a baller.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Adapters and mexiflush.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The concept of going 90 in that tiny box scares me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How horrible does the car smell after wiping down the seats with brake cleaner? Also, who the gently caress paints their seats.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I once had to use a pair of vice grips on the accelerator cable in my mom's 67 bug to get us home when it broke. There I was around 14 yo in the passenger footwell pulling on the cable to go while my mom steered and shifted.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I grew up hanging out with old people and air cooled people, so knowing how to drive a clutch was just sort of the default. One time I snapped my clutch cable about 20 miles from home and had to limp the car home. Luckily it had a freshly rebuilt transmission and new starter. Put car in first gear, start car, shift every 3000 rpms and turn car off when next light turns red. Rinse > repeat.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Computer viking posted:

If you do your driver's exam in an automatic over here, you get a class BA license instead of B, and have to do it again in a manual to upgrade. Fairly strong motivation to learn a manual in the first place - and all the driving schools seem to only use manuals, anyway. (And we have a lot of obligatory courses , so you can't just learn on your own and show up for the test.)

Ya, but in the US, it's only like 15% of cars are manual any more. In Europe and other places with culture, manuals are the standard. Here in the US we have to be able to stuff our face and text while driving, so that 2nd hand can't be tied up using a shifter.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Darchangel posted:

When I met my wife she was driving a '79 Celica 5-speed coupe (wish we'd kept that car,) and has had manuals only since, with the exception of our Astro Van.
My dad taught me the basics on a VW dune buggy when I was, oh, 12 or so, and I refined my skills on my first car: a '79 Fiat 128 sedan. I spent quite while practicing smooth starts and stops. When I finally moved on to gear changes, I was surprised by how easy that was in comparison.

Been there, done that, more than once.

I had to do similar once when the clutch cable mount RIPPED THROUGH THE FIREWALL on my '78 Chevy Monza (legendary GM build quality) and I had to get it to a friend's house where there were tools to build a reinforcing plate. that old Saginaw 4-speed took it in stride. Kind of wish I had kept that car, too.

Thinking about it, I actually learned manual by driving my grandfather's old international tractor as a kid. He paid me like $10 an hour to mow his grass when I went to visit :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

13 INCH DICK posted:

I've got a bunch more pictures of all sorts of other makes and models that I've been too lazy to upload, including the cleanest VW Quantum I think I've ever seen.

WTF is a Quantum? I saw a dude with a Phaeton at the gas station yesterday when I was filling up. Forgot how giant those cars were.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Speaking of push starting light vehicles. I propose this situation to you (since I'm about to do something stupid with garage space).

How do you push start a car with suicide doors?
Follow up question, how do you open the loving doors if the battery dies (no door handles).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Funzo posted:

Can't be, no electrical burns.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wolf spiders are cool as hell. SA is all like "oh jumping spiders are so cute they are our friends" but you can't help but be impressed when you watch a wolf spider run a train on dozens of ants pouring out of an ant hill without taking a scratch.

Wolf spiders don't even make webs. They hide out in the rocks and just murder any bugs they see. I killed a black widow the size of a quarter the other day in my garage. gently caress those guys.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

General_Failure posted:

What's the big deal with spiders? Just never go sticking things blindly in places where spiders may be.

It's getting near orb season so I have to remember to go out and lock up before sunset. Those spiders are funny things. After dark the whole yard gets strung up with an impassable net of webs made with really strong silk, with the proud owners parked right in the middle. When sunrise comes they dismantle their webs and disappear again.

Redbacks, white tails etc. are usually just lurking behind anything that hasn't been moved in a while. Maybe I should get in on AISS this year. But how do I package a large number of spiders without them killing each other?

I have been in my house for just over 5 years and never seen a spider in the house. Yet somehow I got 2 spider bites on my elbow of all places over the weekend. At least I assume they are spider bites. I can't imagine I got 2 random giant pimples on my elbow an inch apart.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This October has been awesome. Mid 60s to 70s. The only hail storm happened when I was on my cruise and the car was safe in the garage

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Buying angry avs is pretty passive-aggressive IMHO.

Some posters view them as a badge of honor for the recipient - it means they genuinely pissed off someone on the Internet enough for that person to drop :10bux: on an impotent statement.

I'd rather spend the money on a six pack of good beer and a bag of snacks. :munch:

There's a reason I haven't bothered changing mine. MW:O spergs are some of the biggest bitches on this forum.

Sad part is, they sperged out and gave me a red title because of Mumble.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 14, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

poo poo, I thought putting 145R15s on the front of the bug was small.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Can't be any worse than the shitshows they have on Velocity these days. Anyone else want to punch that fuckface from Gas Monkey right in the dick?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Horse Divorce posted:

Where can I buy tickets to throw rocks at the dude from graveyard cars? Not the old british dude but the one with the goatee. And leave the wheeler dealer guys be, for the most part they avoid pre-fabricated american TV drama.

Ultimately, you should jump on this chance, 13". Who knows, it might make you rich?

e:wrong show

I really like Wheeler Dealer, but it does annoy me that he basically never factors in the poor tall guy's labor. Oy we made 2000 dollars on this car after spending a fuckton of man hours, yay profit.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I once had to be the gas pedal in my mom's 67 bug. It snapped off right at the pedal, so I just put a set of vice grips on it while my mom drove and I gave throttle as needed. Another fun time was snapping the clutch cable 30 miles from home and using the starter in first gear to get home. Luckily it had a brand new transmission with good synchros.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

RIP MY DICK INTO PIECES

THIS IS MY LAST RESORT

I can pass a piss test tomorrow without gaming it actually. I just cant stop drinking.

Luckily no one cares if you are an alcoholic as long as you don't show up (visibly) drunk.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just want you to know that rear end in a top hat cats are the best cats. This shithead has gotten me through a lot of bad times too. Hope things get better duder.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PhotoKirk posted:

Come to Texas. My mortgage is $980 for a 1800sqft house. 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage.

5 years until no mortgage...

Do not do this. Moving to Texas is worse than killing yourself. Took me 29 years to escape Texas and by god there's no way I'm going back.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Leperflesh posted:

I hear everyone in Germany gets like 8 weeks of vacation a year. Plus you'd get to drive your biturbo on the autobahn and give it a whirl on the nurburgring. Plus I hear they're really into like, dick piercings and leather.

Isn't this true for most of Europe? It's just us dumbfucks in the USA that have to work 40+ hours a week until we die.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I get 28 hours of PTO (paid time off) per month. This includes sick time. I get an additional 4 hours a month of EIB (extended illness bank) which can only be used after first using 24 hours of PTO. I get 10 holidays a year. I work for the government, I think that's the only reason I don't get worked like a dog.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

You're actually buying a Maserati Biturbo? what the gently caress is wrong with you

Can't be any worse than pulling a nearly 60 year old VW out of a field to rebuild like I did.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How many horses did that 1200 come with? I know the sad little 1200 in my bug had 36hp at one time in its life. That is also why it is sitting in my parents' barn 1100 miles away. I plan to at minimum triple the power when the car gets put back on the road. Also.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

zundfolge posted:

These days, every savings account is practically zero interest unless you can afford to put a six-digit balance into one (and if you're in that position you're doing more lucrative things with your money anyway).

My savings account that has enough money in it to basically pay for my bug to be finished earns about 10 cents a month. It's kind of sad.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Antidepressants exist for a reason.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Red_October_7000 posted:

They used to call PTSD "Shell Shock" -it came from the British troops in the trenches of WWI. Here were these men, the sword arm of the mightiest empire on Earth, the ones whose job it was to make the King's will real, and they were cowering in trenches in the earth, unable to do anything to stop the shelling attacks. Ordinarily in a fight you can, well, fight. You can do something to influence the outcome. But in these conditions, they could do nothing. There is no defense against a shell and to come over the trenches was to be cut down by machine gun fire.. It is that feeling, of having something terrible happening to you, to your comrades, to your friends, and to be able to do nothing at all about it, that leads to "Shell Shock", so yeah, it makes sense to me, at least. Hang in there dude.

Also shouldn't that jacket have only one sleeve?

So basically just like having a woman screw you over. Makes sense.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I wish there was a costco near me.

Can't wait until next year when I can finally move to somewhere that I can get a lift. Current garage is way too tiny.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Slow is Fast posted:

Tire rack will shave a tire for you. You have to call them and provide depth specs and it's like 20 bucks more for the tire, but it works great.

This is good to know. A buddy of mine at work just had to buy 4 new tires because his rear got a nail in the sidewall and his fronts were too worn to just replace 2. I did not know that awd systems had issues with tires not being all the same wear.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If you ever get bored, find an old copy of the original Warcraft and try playing it on your current pc. The game was tied to the pc clock so it does fun things on computers running 1000 times faster than the old 386 33 of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why are you eating polish?

• Locked thread