Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I think the Sopranos' ending was superior to Breaking Bad's. Breaking Bad was, on the whole, a better show, but the Sopranos' ending was better.

As somebody who loathes Journey, you are wrong.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

lelandjs posted:

It's pretty much like any other USA show: enjoyable until you get like three seasons in and realize that every week is pretty much exactly the same.

But Neal is so dreamy!

I don't mind that it's "routine" or whatever. I watch much less inspired procedurals and enjoy them still.

edit: Holy hell, tonight's Pretty Little Liars was so good I feel 3 degrees less ashamed to be a fan now.

Manos del Sino fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 23, 2013

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Skype interview with the casting dept of a reality show on the new Esquire network which puts people through a 3 week outdoor survival course. I don't care that much about being cast, but does anyone have any non-ridiculous suggestions?

It's the ridiculous suggestions that will help you most.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
And just like that, my reignited love affair with TVIV died a quick death.

Thanks.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I've learned many things from Supernatural, among them being this important lesson:

Angels are assbutts.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Mr.48 posted:

Would you care to elaborate or address my concerns?

It's a show about Vikings doing Viking things, which, according to what modern audiences consider the "interesting bits," includes a fair amount of raping and pillaging.

If you can't get over that, it's not the show for you, though the show doesn't always harp on those points. There's a fair amount of inner-clan politics and backstabbery and whatnot.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm 2 episodes behind on Hostages and this show is 110% in hate watch territory. It's basically Under the Dome levels of stupidity with slightly better production quality.

Under the dome is a lot more enjoyable, honestly. Hostages would have been a fine single episode of something, but no more than that.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

I would not be surprised if there's been about 2,000 plot twists in the episodes since then though.

Surprisingly, there's only been one significant "twist," and it was about as predictable as the sunrise. Guess what?

McDermott isn't the top of the conspiracy food chain.

It's a bad show filled with dumb characters, but I can absolutely say I have seen and still watch worse shows.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
There's a lot of really dumb characters in TWD, but I've been enjoying the show regardless. It's come a long way since Season 2: Farmville with Zombies.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Beauty & the Grizzled Hunk with a Facial Scar

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Season 5 of Sliders, huh?

I hadn't watched this show since it aired, and somehow I missed there was ever even a fifth season. I took the advantage of Netflix to binge through through 1-4 over the last week, and now I'm a couple episodes into the final season and I have no idea what's even going on.

They kept Rembrandt of all the originals, and he's still stuck with Kari Whurtever, and somehow Quinn is now in the body of some jarhead who rivals Quinn's brother for the bad-acting trophy of the series (seriously, the other O'Connell was terrible, but so is this guy.)

What happened to this show?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, Melissa Rosenberg, writer of all the Twilight films has been announced as the head writer for Netflix's Jessica Jones series.

I look forward to long stretches of no dialogue and lots of stammering.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

The first part of the sentence definitely, literally happened. :confused:

Well, yes, the Machine made a call. It's been established since the first season that the Machine communicates in this manner.

It's the rest of your sentence people were taking exception to, though I figured you were just being goofy.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
As far as I'm concerned, if you enjoyed watching Sam & Dean saving people and hunting things for five seasons, you'll continue to enjoy it for the next four.

Try to think of post-season 5 Supernatural as the bonus material on a DVD. You got what you paid for with the main content - the rest is just a nice treat.

And there really are some of the best episodes of the entire series nestled in there.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Tupping Liberty posted:

I like Supernatural enough, I'm probably going to ignore the "stop after season 5" crowd and keep going. Maybe by the time I'm finished the show will be finished. Has there been talk about that, or is the CW just keeping it going until they don't want to anymore?

From my understanding, CW is willing to keep producing more episodes as long as the lead actors are willing to keep making them. Neither side has expressed interest in ending the relationship any time soon.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Supernatural is like the Person of Interest for cat ladies and future cat ladies, apparently.

:ninja: edit: I like Supernatural

No lie. The six cats we live with won't argue against that.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I thought Supernatural's whole "Wincest" thing was just what people wanted to see, and not something that actually existed. Ever. In the slightest.

Sure, in the later seasons, the "gay" is played up between certain characters for comedic value and as a jab at desperate fans, but I never saw any of that in the first few seasons.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I liked both Mike & Joel, but if I'm honest about, Mike's the best.

And Rifftrax is incredible.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

I haven't seen last night's Sleepy Hollow but AV Club gave it an 'A' which is high praise indeed.

Sleepy Hollow was an especially good episode because it featured Neil Jackson, AKA "Marcus Van Sciver" from TV's Blade, among other things. But mostly Blade. He was incredible in that.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
They should draw How I Met Your Dad out for 10 seasons and in the final episode reveal that the actual fathers were one-night stands of infidelity, then retroactively rename the show "How I Met Your Dads."

And make the dads Barney and his brother.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Writer Cath posted:

How has Criminal Minds been lately? I haven't tuned in to that show all season.

I checked out of watching last season, when the savant kid whose name I've already forgotten had some internet lovey dovey with a stalker complex, that may or may not have turned out to be a legitimate stalking situation.

My roommate still watches it though, and says it's good.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I just watched last night's Person of Interest.

Normally I roll my eyes at the hyperbolic praise it tends to receive around here from certain parties, but this season has been top notch and the last few episodes have really crescendoed into a hell of a thing.

And I was so happy to see Carter get made Detective again!

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Burn notice suffers very much from the "every episode is basically the same" problem. The cast is mostly enjoyable enough that I was able to sit through five seasons of it before burning out, but eventually I got tired of the sameness of it all.

Similar patterns keep repeating as well, such as Fiona pulling her "I want more!" then withdrawing B.S. And the mom is completely insufferable.

But anyway, if you like the cast and the formula, it's worth going back to. I'm sure I'll eventually get around to finishing the series once enough time has passed.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
My roommate finally realized that Parenthood existed last night so she was catching up on the season. I asked her if they were still all unlikeable people, and even though I was joking, the more we discussed it, the more I realized there were only two or three cast members left which I still liked before checking out part-way through last season:

Camille and Ray Romano.

And I guess Crosby's kid is pretty adorable.

Her response to it was, "I enjoy not liking these people. They make me feel better about who I am."

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I watched Girls up until the lead character wished she had cancer or AIDS or something so people who pay attention to her and let her freeload.

So I made it, what, two episodes?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
On a very special The Good Wife, Alicia Florrick takes a case influenced by the internet trolls at social media website scabbit.com as they race to point fingers at suspects following a bombing.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

Thanks for not killing OSG while I was gone guys. Unless you did of course.

No body, no crime.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

HUMAN FISH posted:

Watch Hostages. Every episode and twist is like 24 Kim/cougar level magnificence. It's incredibly bad. It's so pleasant to hatewatch.

I'm still amazed that Elisha Cuthbert is actually a solid comedic actress as seen on Happy Endings, considering how low of an opinion I had of her due to 24. It almost makes Kim Bauer less awful retroactively.

Nothing will redeem Hostages though. It's simply a terrible show.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
It's not the kind of thing that really needs spoilering. Suffice it to say, whenever the opportunity presents itself for Will Schuester to be the worst possible friend/boyfriend/educator/role model, the character will sieze that opportunity like a pit bull locking its jaw on a threat to its master.

He does have redeeming moments, but they are easy to forget between all the terrible ones.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I like Coven just fine, and I think it's been getting better with each episode after a slow start, but at this point it remains my least favorite of the three seasons. That's still subject to change, however.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's funny that they invented the "manatees putting idea balls into slots" burn for Family Guy because every South Park episode I've heard of since I stopped watching it back in '06 (and a lot before that) reads like a random mash-up between some piece of pop-culture and sociopolitical issue.

It's really hard to make out, but there was ever the slightest hint of self deprecation during that episode.

:ssh:

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Grace is the only weak link on The Good Wife, in my opinion, and she's a minor enough of a character that it hardly detracts from the overall greatness of the show.

In my opinion.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Kraps posted:

What's Farscape?

The natural evolution of Muppets in Space.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Hostages is awful. I can only accept that was a joke post, or was written by one of McDermott's family members.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

I don't put a lot of stock in TV and Movie reviews at all, but literally everything I've heard about Hostages points to it being one of the worst television shows in years. I watched the first episode when it aired and didn't like it all, never went back for more.

I've watched every episode and will stick with it. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it the worst, or one of the worst, shows in recent memory, but considering that I watch a lot of crap, and this is the crappiest crap out of all the crap that I watch the crap out of, it's a pretty big piece of crap.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Shageletic posted:

Catching up with the thread, so this is late, but seriously how do you people have the time to watch stuff you acknowledge is crap?! I don't even have time to watch the stuff that I know is going to be great going in (Rectify, etc).

In my case, I work from home and 90% of what I watch is in the corner of the screen while I'm focused on other things. A show has to be special to earn a non-work time viewing slot. Hostages is definitely not one of them.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I don't dislike SHIELD. It's a pretty inoffensive show by all accounts, which is quite possibly its biggest flaw; Agents of SHIELD doesn't really push any boundaries or bring anything terribly exciting to the table. It's a soft serve vanilla cone, with no sprinkles.

It doesn't cross over into "bad" in my opinion, even if it is having trouble reaching "good."

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the music in Fringe is really irritating and too drat loud. I get that they are proud of Michel Giacchino but it just dominates all the time. Does the music need to swell so loudly when Olivia is just reading a newspaper article? I have the same complaint about Hannibal. It's too loving loud.

Interesting observation. I can understand it with Fringe, even though it never took me aback, but there have many times with Hannibal where I felt like I was straining to hear the score and I thought it deserved to be more prominent.

It's very nearly a character of its own.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

I was recommended Warehouse 13
I'm two episodes in.
Either that was a very successful troll or maybe the show gets astronomically better

I don't remember W13 improving much as it went on, so if you don't like it already, it's probably not the show for you. Personally, the selling point for me is the chemistry between Pete and Myka, not the humor or concept or whatever.

Moonlighting was a fun show, from what little I remember of its original run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I was never a big fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I enjoyed some of the characters, but overall the show never grabbed me (maybe/probably because I was never a fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar.)

However, I do think it's worth watching through to fully appreciate Angel, which is fantastic.

• Locked thread