Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am so glad we have a thread about this now. Why?

Because I'm...from Earth.

What impresses me most about Sparks Nevada and Beyond Belief is how well the leads play off each other. Frank and Sadie clearly adore each other, and Sparks and Croach barely tolerate each other's presence most of the time.

Captain Laserbeam starts out pretty weak, but it picks up after a few episodes. Especially when they start fleshing out the Adventurekateers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man...this week's Spark Nevada is amazing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also, for the turbonerds out there (like myself), it looks like we might be getting an "official" Thrilling Adventure Hour RPG.

quote:

As for news, I've been given the go-ahead to post about this: Next month, I'll be running a Sparks Nevada game for TAH co-creators/writers Ben Acker and Ben Blacker and whatever Workjuice Players they can muster, mostly likely including Sparks stars Marc Evan Jackson and Mark Gagliardi -- and, if I'm very lucky, Hal Lublin will be there to narrate (I don't know what that'd mean in this context, but whatever, there's no way I'd pass that up). Plus, I believe it'll be audio and/or video recorded for your online listening and/or viewing pleasure at some point. No pressure, right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do love how the Spark Nevada universe encompasses so many different types of sci-fi; cheesy 50's style science, space-western, Star Trek, Hunger Games...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The cast of TAH got to play an RPG about themselves, and it apparently went over pretty well. Plus the game had an actual intro by Hal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This Christmas episode is a lot better than last year's, I gotta say. The USSA section was a little weak, but Croach shouting "NO!" during the Captain Laserbeam intro was :3 as hell, and Felton's Beyond Belief intro was hilarious.

"Does that remind you of anyone?"
"Batman. It exactly reminds me of Batman."
"Batman and Aquaman."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

radlum posted:

That's gonna be great; I'm guessing a Beyond Belief segment for the crossover.

An hour of Sadie and Cecil just reading lists of weird things at each other. :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm actually kinda bummed that Pemily's gone already; I liked her interactions with SParks and Croach.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, I really hope you remember it well, because according to the episode that dropped today the recording got corrupted. :cry:

On the plus side, one of the Bens said they're going to re-perform and re-record the show later this year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, it's weird that it doesn't seem to start until like ten minutes in.

Still, a fun episode. When did Colonel Tick-Tock start getting good?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I never got the feeling that they knew what to do with the Amelia Earhart bits. Like they had the base concept but couldn't follow through with it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Best line from the latest Captain Laserbeam?

"I have Awake Apnea!"

Sorry, the actual best line is "Oh, are you still here? You usually disappear mid-sentence."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This week's panel recording is amazing.

"I just realized I don't know what this show is about..."
"Next question!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is my first time actually seeing the performances.

Am I the only one who can't mentally reconcile Mark Evan Jackson's appearance and his Sparks voice?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Funnily enough, I think he looks the way Croach sounds.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cecil Baldwin is the best space emperor. :allears:

Really I think the Scott Adsit/Cecil Baldwin and Zachary Levi/Jorge Garcia versions were the best ones.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alaemon posted:

G'loot Praktaw

Which is Mars.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alaemon posted:

Which you designate Mars.

Everyone I know calls it Mars.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, no comments on this week's Captain Laserbeam? I think it was the best one in a while. Fun stuff between Patrick and Elisabeth, and Phil Fathom was great as always.

I HONOR MY COMMITMENTS!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

No love for Sparks and Croach trying to tell a joke, or Croach doing shtickperforming the Vamping Ritual?

"You. Audience human. From...where do you originate? I am unsurprised. You exhibit the general traits and behaviors associated, negatively, with this region."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

So, who do you think the succubi was in love with?
Yes.

Man, there were more flubs this episode than I think I've ever heard, but they dealt with them perfectly.

"Keep going while I switch glasses."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

The folks at gently caress Yeah Thrilling Adventure Hour are having a contest: 30 Days of TAH

Sounds like one of the prizes is a signed copy of the comic, not sure if they have finalized anything else.

Your link is broken.

e: What episode is this from?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 2, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This week's Sparks was amazing from start to finish. "Remove the sports ball!"

Does this mean that Nathan's officially done with TAH? I really hope not, because he's always a lot of fun.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just want to point out that I loved Croach's whole "I'm leaving now" bit from the WtNV crossover.

OOOOOOOOONNNNNNUUUUUUSSSSSS

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know if I can handle not having the podcast anymore...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The mid-episode ads were great, too.

"If you fall asleep for even a second, Nazis could kill you and your whole family" was great, and the fact that I was expecting it to lead into "WorkJuice Kid's Coffee" or something along those lines made it even better when the bit just stopped.

e: Why can I not buy a WorkJuice-brand Coffee mug?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"I elevated the Oakie" is a hilarious line but for the life of me I can't describe why.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I liked it! Yeah, there was less Frank and Sadie, but I love weird metafiction stuff and Ronald Dahl. Especially when people don't realize how dark and kid-hate-y he was.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I really want to hear more about this universe where they're all in high school.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I think that was a shot at the fan-ficcers who do that to the Night Vale cast. So that means if you look around, somebody's already done it.

Of course it was. Especially the universes where they have "other preferences", since Sparks/Croach shipping is a thing.

I still want to see Mars High School.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I thought they were setting up an "Evil Banjo" situation, but the outcome was so much better. I need to find a way to work "bottom of page 50" into normal conversation.

Just deserts!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Annakie posted:

No, there's not. From what some friends have said, it's a reference to a comics thing, I don't get it, but that's the whole title.

That would be the Crisis on Infinite Earths, where DC Comics tried to wrangle their out-of-control continuity by reducing their multiple realities into one singular one.

Also, if there is not fanart of Mabel Pines dressed as Sparks (because that's honestly all I could hear), I will be sorely disappointed in the internet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And to keep with the comics references, trying to create a "good world" out of pieces of alternate realities is a major point of Infinite Crisis, the second of the three major "cosmic crises" in DC comics (the first being the aforementioned Crisis on Infinite Earths, the third being Final Crisis.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The best part for me was that when I checked the show notes this morning, I just saw that DiMaggio wasn't playing Laserbeam and didn't pay attention to who did. Which made the "are you black now?" line even funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, the April Fools episodes have been loving amazing. I can't wait to see who gets to play Frank Doyle; I hope it's Mark Evan Jackson just so he can get some payback.

• Locked thread