Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Sir Elias

Saxons here? Was his but the vagueries of chance? Raiders with no plan but to pillage and burn, or spies sent here on ill designs? All too easy was it to think of Saxons as nothing but dumb brutes, storming like a plague over the land, with all the self-control of a rabid dog, and as welcome as one. Yet history's cruel lessons teach that they could be cunning as foxes and treacherous as snakes. All too many noble families of the English mourned people to the likes of these. The weight of his blade reminded him that such thoughts could wait. Perhaps the victims might tell them more.

He filled his lungs with air and his arms with vigor and coldly looked at the Saxons. "For Salisbury and the Earl!" He called out. He wasn't sure of the vagueries of politics. But he knew he'd sworn an oath to that man, and the Earl's name would these Saxons' blood be spilled.

Loyalty (Lord) Test: 1d20 8 Passion role succeeds, giving me a +10, getting sword to 25.

Sword Roll VS spearman: 1d20 18 Since I have 5 above twenty, I add five to the roll, and thus get a critical success.

The Saxon rolls against his skill of 16 +5 from fighting against someone on horseback = 21. Saxon Spearman roll: 1d20 12 Is a success, but not enough to beat my crit. So I'll do double damage.

Crit damage roll: 8d6 33 33 damage, exactly the same as Briant, this takes him below 1/4th of his his points, so he goes down, but not dead yet, though likely not long for this world.[/i]

The younger knight is relatively quiet, looking with angry scorn at his opponents, his gaze soon focused on his opponent in particular The man's attempt at a thrust with his spear finds nothing but the surface of the knight's shield, while Elias blade testifies to its wielders' worth to the Band of the Hound. While not blessed with the enviable brawn of Briant, he is not unskilled, and his blade digs through flaxen hair, skin and bone as it carves into the Saxon's skull. As it is withdrawn with a slight effort, the Saxon gurgled something in his language, then sunk limply to the ground.

Having broken through, Elias' gaze does not fall on the leader, but rather on the archers. An arrow had taken the man before his time, and so Elias knew the danger of despising archers. Against his attack, they should not stand for long, and it might yet save lives. He does not hide his intention. "Looters, killers and kidnappers. You shall not return to whatever warren spawned you." With luck, these would flee, easily ridden down later, and he might aid with the two leaders. Otherwise, they'd bleed their lives out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Sir Pellogres

Before

Following the hunt at Lincoln, Pellogres had returned to his humble, quiet self, having made his ancestors proud with his courteous and honorable behavior. It had taken much of his energy to be so gregarious, and he enjoyed wiling away the rest of his time amongst the great lords. When Sir Briant inquired about future plans, Pellogres had a light in his eyes as he smiled wide. "My thoughts this day are only of the lady Gwiona. Her beauty has me quite taken, I'm afraid, though I must confess that I do not have the skills of our good comrade Sir Rhun in these matters." Pellogres withdrew somewhat, having confessed this to his friends, and was nervously fidgeting with his fingers. "I would make her my wife if I may, and I seek to make myself into a man worthy of her attentions. Beyond that, I would see this land free and prosperous and have children both hale and hearty. I wish to be able to follow our lord into glorious battles to inspire my children the way my father, Sir Pellandres, inspired me." With this, Pellogres raised a toast to the memory of his father.

The next day, he greeted Sir Elias with a friendly smile and salute. "Well might, Elias. Pellogres of Woodford. We are happy to have you amongst us."

Now

Pellogres had spent the journey to Eburacum thinking to himself, trying desperately to compose a song to dedicate to Lady Gwiona. Compose (Hah): 1d20 12. His skill in these matters was almost nonexistent, of course, and he struggled to even write more than three words. He eventually had to give up, mourning his lack of skill in the matters of women.

He was only shaken from his reverie when Rhun began to break off towards the Saxons. Reacting quickly, he shouted to his horse to catch up, not wanting to leave Sir Rhun to a difficult battle without his brother knights to assist him. He was fortunate in that he was lucky enough to have a spare charger and regularly switched horses to avoid tiring one horse out. This allowed him to charge directly into battle without having to worry about switching mounts. Pellogres was, in this manner, able to keep pace with Rhun and Briant, despite having been so distracted at the start.

He adopted a somber expression as he surveyed the Saxon's lines and drew his sword, judging that the great spears would make a lance charge quite difficult. As he urged his steed onward, Pellogres let forth a great howl in support of his fellow Knights of the Hound.

Loyalty (Group): 1d20 14. Sword's going up to 25.

Pellogres could feel strength coursing through his body as he rode, adrenaline surging through his veins as he tightened his grip on his blade, and in moments he was upon a Saxon spearman. Pushing the man's spear to the side with his shield, Pellogres brought his sword down in a mighty arc, cutting deep into the spearman's shoulder as blood flowed into the air. Pellogres kicked his foot out to knock the severely wounded man away as he looked to the two leaders of the raiding party and prepared himself for the next challenger.

Sword: 1d20 15 - That's a crit even without my passion roll!

Saxon roll: 1d20 7 - Decidedly not a crit, so I'm winning that one.

Damage: 10d6 31, so the Saxon takes 25 damage, below his unconscious threshold.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
OOC: Just waiting on Bledri!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri, who's horse seems to have been unaccountably delayed resulting in him falling behind, sees his companions confront the spearmen, and his heart swells with pride for them. Seeing, though, that they've each engaged and are killing the men who confront them, he decides to ride around, to try to catch the enemy in the flank while they're concerned with the attack from the front.

Sorry for taking so long. Flanking

Loyalty (Companions) against 18: 1d20 1 Lifting Sword to 26

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Summer 487 - The Fight Continues

The Knights of the Hound rain savage blows upon the hapless Saxon spearmen, sending all but one to the dirt in screams and sprays of blood. Rhun's foe alone yet stands, bitten by the Salisbury knight's blade but not deeply enough to remove from the fight. With tightly-drawn lips and a mad look in his eyes, he stabs wildly at Rhun.

The archers meanwhile watch with horror as their comrades are cut down like stalks of wheat to the farmer's scythe. Quickly they step back, firing an erratic volley of arrows as they create distance between themselves and Cymric death. An arrow harmlessly bounces off of the shield of Pellogres, but another sails true right to Elias's breast! Where, of course, it harmlessly bounces off the thick rings of chain and leather underneath. An armored knight is no defenseless deer in the heath to be taken by petty huntsman's tools, after all.

And the burly Saxon with the giant axe laughs heartily all the while, turning to face Bledri while still glancing at the front line now perilously low on Saxons.

The bronze-helmed man on horseback merely watches from his safe distance, intent on the battle yet not seeking to become part of it. Yet.

OOC: Round 2 commences!

You are now facing one spearman, two archers, and Sigismund of the comically large axe.
  • The archers performed a combined action of moving and firing. That put their Bow at 2 for this round, but also means you will have to close the distance to attack. I.e., either you will also have to do a combined action of moving and attacking, or just move and attack next round.
  • The spearman is making an uncontrolled attack against Rhun, which places his Greatspear at 29 for this round.
  • Sigismund will use his full 16 Great Axe against whomever attacks him first. Remember that if he hits, your shield only provides 1d6 protection, not the automatic full 6.
  • Wilfrith will charge if any charges him, though remember only two mounted people can attack a target at the same time. Wilfrith will cheerfully put his full attack against the first person to charge. His attack will be at 18 and damage at 6d6.

Archer 1 v. Elias: Bow 2 v. Elias: 1d20 1 Hit!
Damage: 3d6 13 Elias takes 13 - 10 armor -6 shield = 0 damage. The most any non-critical bow attack can do to a properly armored and shielded knight is 2 points.
Archer 2 v. Pellogres: Bow 2 v. Pellogres: 1d20 3 Miss!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

Making good on his challenge, Briant charges at the man on the horse, but the Saxon dog raises his shield in time to deflect the majority of Briant's blow, receiving only a flesh wound in the process. Briant nearly growls at the man, offended by the Saxon's rudeness, lacking the basic decency to die quickly.

(Briant nails a solid strike with his sword, buffed by Passion. The other guy gets his shield, at least. The damage isn't great, just two points, but hey, what's the fun of dropping everything in one hit?)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Rhun

"Rhiannon's teats, this one's got some fight to him," the pagan knight mutters, seeing the spearman he'd grazed get the wide eyes and foaming mouth indicative of a Saxon who's done playing around. Luckily for him, Rhun's not exactly in a lighthearted mood either...

Sword: 1d20 20

More like it! That's most assuredly a crit, so:

Crit Damage: 10d6 41 gives a 36 post-armor, more than enough to turn the guy into a fine red mist even if he'd been unwounded. Since he doesn't survive Rhun's attack, his Uncontrolled Attack vanishes into the ether.

The thunder of hooves, the flash of steel in the afternoon light, and suddenly the Saxon's assault is halted by the abrupt separation of his skull from his neck. Rhun wheels about, taking in the field of battle and selecting his next foe - lifting his bloodstained blade to point at Sigismund of the Great Axe. Oh, it's true, one of his fellows could well fell the giant before Rhun can reach him, but perhaps he will prove fortunate enough to be able to get his proverbial licks in.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Sir Elias

Sir Elias briefly sees the arrow slip past his guard, feels the impact of the archer's well-aimed shot press against his shot, and for a moment, a chill grasps his heart. To find a death to a Saxon's arrow as well-filled with duty as it is devoid of glory and early in time as his sire and grand-sire had done is a specter that hangs over him. Not a man given to wild superstitions is he, but the thought that this might be a doom for his family haunts his soul at times. Yet not this day it seems. As his fellows turn to face the leaders, the junior of the knights drives his horse towards the archers, eager to deny them a chance to court chance once more.

Sword 25 +5 for high ground -5 for combined action Sword Roll VS Archer: 1d20 8 which is raised to 13
Archer's Dagger: 1d20 12 that's a failure, and I'm not sure they'd even get to roll since they haven't pulled out their dagger's yet?
Damage against archer: 4d6 20 which is 8 damage if the man has his shield ready, 14 if he doesn't.

A red line is drawn across the Saxon's face, making a promise of a scar, yet eager is Elias to make such a promise made a liar by sending the man's heart's blood to spill today.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Sir Pellogres, having knocked his opponent out, wheeled his horse around and rode hard at the giant axe-wielding Saxon who was boisterously laughing. Smiling, Pellogres called out to the man, "Saxon dog, you shall not laugh for long, know that this day you face the Knights of the Hound!" Pounding on his shield with his sword twice, Pellogres then pulls the sword back for a mighty thrust and he approaches, deflecting the massive axe blow as he aims his blade right at the Saxon's shoulder. The blade strikes true, but the giant man's armor protects him well and the blade is deflected rather than penetrating through his flesh.

Sword 25: 1d20 4, so effectively a 9.

Saxon Attack: 1d20 4, meaning I win due to the +5 from my boosted sword.

Damage roll: 5d6 13. Ouch, wimpy damage, only 3 gets through his armor. Still, it's a start.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Going to move onto the next round tonight; hopefully Bledri's move will be up by then, but I can roll for him if need be.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri, having moved to flank the Saxons, sees the giant Saxon looking at him, and then Pellogres's challenge. Raising his hand to his head in salute to the giant, he spurs his horse forward, his sword out, ready to help his companion. "Hail, Saxon! You are well this day?", he asks as his blade grazes the Saxon's torso. Hardly the best blow, nor very effective against the well armored monster, but there might be a bit of blood there.

Attacking Saxon (Sword 26): 1d20 2 So, an 8
Sigismund is focusing on Pellogres so doesn't roll, right?
Damage: 4d6 14 So 4 damage to him after the armor

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 12, 2015

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - Scything Through Saxons

The last spearman's head goes flying from his neck, courtesy of Rhun's sword. He is the only foe to fall: Elias' target is struck with a solid blow, but not a fatal one. Fear obviously grips both archers, however, and for a moment it seems uncertain whether they will stand to fight or seek to flee. One does run, while his companion hastily drops his bow and unsheathes the long knife at his hip.

Meanwhile, the axe-man merely grunts with annoyance at the shallow cuts Pellogres and Bledri deliver him. In response to their taunts, he calls out, "Ic þæt ne undergiete! Is hēr ǣnig þe anglisce spricþ?" He bites his tongue and a mixture of blood and froth spews from his mouth. He begins to swing his great-axe quickly and recklessly above his head, murder in his eyes.

The mounted Saxon gathers in the scene, salutes Briant sarcastically... then yanks his reins and spins his horse around. Forsaking pride or valor for sake of perhaps surviving to pillage another day, the Saxon attempts to flee.

OOC: Here's the status of your foes:
  • Archer 1: 16 hit points left. He is running like mad away. Attacking him is an unopposed action for Elias this round. Anyone else can attack him, too, but suffers a combined action penalty of -5 for moving first.
  • Archer 2: Full HP left. Drawing his dagger and going Uncontrolled Attack on Elias, so total +5 to anyone attacking him. If he's not downed, it's at Dagger 4 + 10 Uncontrolled -5 combined action = Dagger 9 for the round:
    Dagger 9 v. Elias: 1d20 9 Critical hit against Elias if he (or anyone else) doesn't take him out!
    Dagger 4d6 damage (Crit): 4d6 10 Sadly, even if he
    does land the hit, it will simply bounce off Elias's armor.
  • Sigismund: 29 HP left. Uncontrolled Attack against Pellogres (Sigismund is no fan of shield-pounding, he thinks it's showy). Pellogres and Bledri each get a free attack. If he isn't knocked down or unconscious, Sigismund delivers a GreatAxe 26 blow:
    Great-Axe 26 v. Pellogres: 1d20+6 11 Just a normal hit, though Pellogres only gets 1d6 shield protection.
    Great Axe 6d6 damage: 6d6 18
  • Wilfrith: 29 HP left. Evasion: make an opposed roll against Wilfrith's Horsemanship! Briant gets a +5, Wilfrith gets a -5 and is at Horsemanship 10.

I know the distances may be a bit confusing, so let me clarify. Sigismund is within melee range of every knight except Briant and Elias. The archers are within melee range of Elias, while anyone else can engage them with a combined move and attack. Wilfrith is within melee range of only Briant (though he is at charging range for pretty much everyone else).

Also, remember that only two horsemen can attack a single target at a time! Sigismund's dance card is already full this round unless either Pellogres or Bledri try to disengage.

For the uncontrolled attacks, you are rolling an unopposed attack. Your target---assuming he is still in a state to fight back---gets an unopposed attack afterwards.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

Briant hardly even needed to maneuver his steed to keep pace with the cowardly Saxon. Catching up to him in mere moments, Briant brings his blade down once more, this strike finding more purchase in the brute's flesh, releasing a fresh gout of blood to slake Briant's desire to put down these Saxon vermin. "Show some honor in your last moments, cur, and at least try to put up a fight before I kill you!"

(Briant passed his Horsemanship check. Wilfrith did not. Briant landed his attack, of course, but still not a critical. The other guy lost the check, and also may have failed it depending on what sort of penalties he's taking from screwing up on his horse. I don't know if he got to use his shield or not, so he's either taking fourteen or twenty damage.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Hmm. Rhun finds himself at a momentary loss - the giant axe-wielding Saxon is well-occupied by Pellogres and Bledri, so the target he'd intended to pursue is out of the picture... and it doesn't look, yet, as though he could reach the mounted Saxon.

Oh ho! But what is this! One of the archers is attempting a cowardly strike at Elias' back! This will not stand!

Attacking Archer Two - the one trying to go all Uncontrolled Attack on Elias.
Sword: 1d20 19
With Rhun's boosted Sword skill, that is assuredly a crit, so:
Crit Damage: 10d6 32
What a lot of ones. Feh. I don't know if the Saxon gets his shield while using an Uncontrolled Attack - I suspect he doesn't but I don't have a book in front of me to check - but he's taking either 26 or 20 damage, depending. I suspect we're looking at Major Wound territory either way, but I don't have their stat block so I can't make he guy's rolls for him.

Not that it'll matter overmuch if he ends up surviving, given his appalling damage roll on Elias, but hey.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
OOC: No shield, so that's 26 damage and puts him at 4 HP. Major Wound and automatically unconscious, so he's out of the fight (possibly permanently).

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres takes but a moment to smile and nod to Bledri before pulling his arm back just in time to see an opening. The Saxon has lifted his axe high, preparing a mighty blow but leaving his torso unprotected. A foolish move, and one Pellogres knows to exploit before the axeman can finish his work. Thrusting the blade into the huge man's side, he manages to penetrate armor and deal a vicious wound to the Saxon. Pellogres barely manages to tug his blade free before the Saxon drops to the ground, sleeping from the pain and loss of blood. Raising his blade above his head, Pellogres lets loose with another mighty howl in celebration.

Sword: 1d20 19, critting!

Damage (Crit): 10d6 33. Becomes 23 after his armor, so he's down to 6 HP, and thus unconscious!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

OOC: I was all set to say "don't count your chickens before they hatch," thinking there might be a mechanic to allow a dude to take one last swing post-Unconscious Threshold at the risk of aggravating his wounds and killing him outright - but I can't seem to find such a rule, thankfully. I wonder what it was I was thinking of...

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

The men he struck flees, and his compatriot is laid low by the knight's own comrade. Not one to leave a task undone, Elias leaves the most glorious targets to his seniors this day, chasing down the fleeing archer and cutting him down. He might not be a threat any more to any of the knights. But he was a threat to the common people. And so he would die.

Striking down archer: 1d20 4
Damage against archer: 4d6 16 -6 armor is 10 damage, leaving him at 6 HP/30 and down.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri doesn't pay much attention to the strange Saxon jabbering. The man has seemed to work himself up in some strange frenzy. Pellogres seems to have him well in hand, though, and Bledri sees the giant Saxon crumble before the weight of the others' blade. Wheeling his horse, he starts to join Briant in the attack on the horseman.

Trying to catch up to Briant and Wilfrith

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - A Flight Cut Short

As Bledri hies his steed to Briant's side, that worthy knight stabs the fleeing Saxon in the side as he turns. The bronze-helmed man bellows, not in pain but fury, weakly swatting at the air with his spear before the reins slip his hands, and his heels come away from the stirrups. He falls to the ground and rolls for a moment, then falls limp.

His companions fare no better. Pellogres exploits the giant's clumsy axe-work and sends him tumbling to the ground, while Rhun and Elias chase after the archers and unceremoniously hack them down. All their foes lie bleeding before them, insensate and at their mercy.

As you survey this satisfying tableau, the farmer picks up a dropped dagger and goes to cut loose his family's bonds. His hut meanwhile still flickers with orange flame. There is little he or his family can do but hold one another as it crackles and shifts into ruin.

OOC: Wilfrith did have his shield, but 14 damage equals his CON, so time to test for a Major Wound! He's currently at 15 HP.
Unconscious Save 15: 1d20 19
Nope, he's down.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

As the battle ends, Briant jumps down from his horse. Almost as an afterthought, he swipes his blade quickly across the Saxon leader's throat, ending Wilfrith's pitiful existence. More concerned is Briant with the farmer and his family. He had his squire bring over his purse, which he carried some money in, just in case he might need it. He gives the farmer half a pound, hoping it might serve to cover the damages. "You have my condolences for these losses. Know that we knights of England ever aspire to one day rid the land of the Saxons, that we might once more live in peace."

(I'm pretty sure some of us got half a pound some time ago, so this is me spending that to help out the farmer dude. Also, I figure I can finish Wilfrith off without much trouble now that he's out.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - Unexpected Assistance

The farmer eyes widen as Briant drops ten shining silver shillings into the man's hands (true to Brevan's titling, he has only the first two fingers on his left hand). "My lord," he says, voice wavering, "this is a kingly sum. Praise be to God in Heaven that you and your comrades guard our land with such vigor and care for lesser men such as myself."

His wife says nothing, nor does his son, but their faces readily reveal both their shock and subsequent joy.

OOC: Briant gets a check for Generous! No points for Cruelty for the throat-slitting, though, since after all he was just a Saxon.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

A moment's pause, and Rhun can allow himself to relax. His foes - their foes, he shouldn't be greedy - are downed, and there seems no immediate danger of Saxon reinforcements. A small raiding band, then, rather than a scouting party or the lead element of an invasion...

...and now he can focus on things other than fighting. With a cry, he directs his squire to bring water - they have horses, surely they can shuttle water to the burning homestead. It will not be enough to save the building, almost surely, but perhaps they can get the blaze under control so that it need not spread... and if they are very lucky, perhaps the steader (Mark Halfhand, he was called, Rhun recalls) might be able to salvage some of his meagre possessions. It may be a doomed effort, but he should try, he feels.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri sits on his horse, watching. For all that they talk of the glory of battle, he sees little in this skirmish. His companions will be remembered as the great Saxon killers this time, not him, and the one Saxon who seemed to be a noble was executed by Briant rather than ransomed. The world much preferred a knight who rushed into battle and slew his foes rather than one who sought to flank his enemies and ransom prisoners, no doubt. A small, bitter smirk comes over his face momentarily, as he thinks of the rewards of knighthood, and then it vanishes, his self control pushing it back to where it came from. "We're done then?", he asks. "All the Saxons are dead, and the family is safe? Should we get back to it? The house looks to be a loss, Rhun."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres ensures that the giant Saxon is slain - they cannot transport him for medical care, but to leave him to bleed to death would be most cruel. This dark deed done, Sir Pellogres rides over to Bledri and gives him a friendly slap on the back. "I thank you for assisting me, my brother-in-arms. While there will be no songs sung of this battle, no matter what our man Briant might wish, it was a battle worth fighting. I hope there will be more important ones in our future."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487

Rhun's squire says, "I will do my best, my lord! Though I have no pail, and I know not whence to fetch water." He seems eager but confused.

The farmer pipes up to agree with Bledri. "There is little to be done now, even should the fire die, for the axes of these men were hungry and bit deeply into the beams of my home. It is but kindling now. Thanks to the graciousness of your companion"---he nods at Briant---"we can hire builders to raise a new home."

As Halfhand speaks, Brevan can be seen coming round the hillock, waving and calling out to the knights. He sees the smoldering homestead and spurs his horse to a gallop to reach you. "'Zwounds!" he cries. "Such wanton destruction! But you have put paid to these brutes and delivered them unto their just reward. May our King be likewise successful in his rooting out these Saxon dogs from our land."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant nods "I only wish wish we had time to tarry once we've met with your king, that we might dispose of a few Saxons ourselves while we're there. Unfortunately, 'tis a mission of no small urgency. Though, I shall sleep quite peacefully knowing that this farm shall be rebuilt as a testament to our endurance. The Saxons cannot with all their might strike so deep a wound that good men and women of England cannot mend it! It is one of our solemn duties as knights, not only to wipe the Saxons from existence, but to also undo each of their barbaric works, that history shall forget them, and seem all the more pleasant for it." It had perhaps been somewhat unclear in the past, why Briant was widely known for his hatred of Saxons, even before his knighting, but the mystery was gradually being resolves.

(I just realized, I'm getting annual Glory for hating Saxons, I should probably play it up while the moment lasts, to demonstrate how Briant's hatred of Saxons is so much greater than a normal Englishman's hatred of Saxons that it's worth seventeen Glory per year.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"I..." the Pagan's voice falters as the impossibility of quenching the blazing farmstead dawns on him, and he sighs, heavily. "You are right, of course. I am sorry, good man, that we could not have arrived before the blaze was set, I..." Another sigh, and Rhun shakes his head. "Would that we had been faster, is all." Rhun is known far and wide for his Energetic nature, and so rarely does he find himself arriving too late; he knows, of course, that there was aught else he could have done, yet he still feels a sting of failure, unwarranted though it may be.

His chest does swell with pride, after a moment, not for himself, but for the actions of his fellow knights. "That was well done of you, Briant; a generosity that e'en the Old Gods themselves might smile to see." Being the Generous sort himself, Rhun knows it when he sees it, and for all his occasional needling of Briant's quest for recognition and Glory, he does genuinely appreciate what the other man has done. "And well fought, all of you, my friends. The Knights of the Hound overcome yet another challenge, eh? But we must away, I believe, for our duty does call." A slight pause, and then he's murmuring to Briant, "And our task is to deliver an invitation, my friend. I heard nothing to forbid us from offering our services as an escort, preferably on a route right through the heart of the invaders, did you?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Sir Elias returns from his own tasks, his mood pensive. "Yet I wonder if chance raiders were all these were. We are not at all far from your king's hold. And these men are on foot." The suspicious man is always looking for a hidden intent for every action. "Tell me, good man. Did these men show any sign of interest in taking things, or did they simply burn?" Elias also instructed his squire to see whether the men carried any other loot on them, wot well, to ascertain motives, not for enrichment, or mayhap any sign of an assignment beyond a simple raid.

As he observed, he took note of Sir Briant's charity, yet also the hidden words passed between Sir Rhun and Sir Briant. For whom then were these words hidden? The farmers, their guide or himself?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
OOC: The guide, the farmer, and his family have little else to say unless spoken to. So what shall it be, brave knights of Salisbury? Are you pressing on with Brevan to find the king or tarrying on the scene a bit longer? Or some other plan?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(I'm good to go, I think we've milked this scene of everything we could.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - Brevan Leads the Way

Mark Halfhand and his family give their thanks one last time as they watch the knights ride off. Brevan for his part tells Briant seldom had he seen such generosity in his own county, let alone a foreign knight, and seems much heartened on this leg of your journey. Little of note happens along the way. There are burned fields and refugee peasants, of course, as ever there is when Saxons come to raid, but these are not unfamiliar sights to the Knights of the Hound. You pass several manors along the way, but Brevan does not suggest tarrying, though whether it is because of your haste or the hosts' lack of hospitality he does not volunteer.

Almost a week later, Brevan sights the smoke of many campfires and tells you he hears familiar horns. "Surely it is my King's own camp," he declares, and urges quickness for the sun is low and evening nips at your heels. The better part of an hour later sees the Knights of the Hound at the outskirts of a small army, pavilions and banners all about, and knights sans armor taking their pleasure in drink, food, and wenching. Brevan rides ahead to announce your presence. Shortly thereafter, a page comes running to your company and leads you to the Centurion King's grand pavilion, a tent of silks and ermine furs, fine carpets upon the earth within.

After the page announces you, a man on a finely carved wooden throne waves you forward. On either side of him stands a knight gripping a sword, though pointed at the earth, and they both regard you suspiciously. For his part, his majesty King Heraut de Aprés seems more bored than anything else. Sipping from a silver chalice, he asks brusquely, "Well, you have found me, Salisbury knights. What troubles you to seek me out from so far and at such inconvenience, to yourselves almost as much as mine?"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant saw King Heraut, and more importantly, the king's attitude, and saw before him a challenge greater than any he or his fellows had yet encountered. To return alone would bring shame upon them enough to undo all their deeds up to this point, but the king was looking none too helpful, something that Briant could not even consider suggesting, lest the king take insult. Were Briant's diplomacy to fail here, it would mean not only his personal disgrace, but the disgrace of his fellow knights, who he'd come to trust in a way he'd not trusted any man before. And it was his determination not to let his friends and comrades down that caused the great mountain of a knight to bring forth words of unparalleled beauty, yet with brevity such that no man, not even the clearly disinterested King Heraut, could accuse him of overwrought poetics. Such perfectly-crafted speeches are best left to the imagination, though for the sake of the reader, a pale shadow of his eloquence shall be transcribed, that the general idea be established. "Your highness, we come bearing an invitation from King Uther Pendragon. He is at Lindsey, and wishes to host the neighboring kings, including you, great Centurion King."

(I'll be honest, I'd had a bad feeling about my roll, so I went with my highest Passion for the task of convincing King Heraut to come with us to Lindsey, and boy did it turn out to be a good idea. So, now Briant's loyalty to the Knights of the Hound is at 20. This sends my Courtesy up to 35, and I rolled a 33, total. They should have sent a poet.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - Audience With the Centurion King

The king's irritation turns to mere boredom, then mild interest. Though whether it is for the substance of Briant's message or the clear passion with which he delivers it, who can say? But King Heraut listens attentively at any rate, speaking only when Briant has finished.

"Clearly Uther cares more about courtesy than I remember," he says,"for even his knights to be so honey-tongued. So you shall have my answer, plain and true. I will visit Uther until I have the leisure time, and I am a king attentive to the needs of my land, so I have no leisure time."

His tone softens somewhat. "I shall have letters of safety written to ensure your safe passage exiting my kingdom. My servants will replenish your water and provisions." He dismisses the company with a wave. True to his word, your packs are filled with food and pure-tasting water. A little later, parchment with the king's seal are in your hands and several of his knights politely, but firmly, suggest a nearby campsite for you to ride toward right away.

OOC: A stunningly good roll---Heraut wasn't going to be as civil or generous. But he really, really does not like Uther. A critical Courtesy roll isn't going to change his mind that quickly.

All that is left now is the long ride home (well, to Lindsey, then home). We'll start Winter phase this weekend and I'll try to get Glory totals tabulated ASAP. .

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"That is well said, Your Highness," Rhun cannot help but murmur, grinning in quiet admiration as the company is dismissed. He may not like the substance of King Heraut's reply, but he cannot deny that the manner of the man's refusal was well-considered. Almost against his will, he finds himself liking this Centurion King, even as their respective duties distance them.

Of course, Rhun likes a lot of people.

"I have to say, friend Briant - that was indeed honey-tongued of you. Would that I had your gift with words." This as the Knights of the Hound do prepare to depart; Rhun has been scrupulous in praising the Centurion King's generosity to the man's servants as he thanks them. "Though I have to admit, I'd not use it nearly so much for talking to men, myself; perhaps 'tis best, after all, eh?" He smirks, his eyes twinkling, as he mounts up and sets out with the others, humming a jaunty tune. The Knights of the Hound have done their duty, after all, and e'en got to kill some Saxons along the way, and soon they will be home - where, Rhun is hopeful, there's a Lady named Adwen he can spend a bit of time with...

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry about the delay---I'll try to get the Glory leaderboard up after work today and get Winter phase going.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

"Indeed",says Sir Bledri to Rhun's comments, ruefully. "One wonders that the rest of the Knights of the Hound are required at all."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant shrugs as his companions voice their envy of his speaking skills. "I have practiced two skills above all others, swordplay and wordplay, and it is merely fortune that leads to those skills being so often necessary. I'll be the first to admit that I got singularly lucky during the hunt. Well, I'll admit it to you, in any case, as my dear brothers-in-arms. In all honesty, I feel as though I've hit my stride in terms of my long-term goals, and would actually prefer it if situations in the near future were better-suited to your skills, that you can have your well-deserved chances to make yourselves more well-known, so that our good names might bolster each other's." Briant's main goal, of course, is to marry as far above his current status as possible, and unless the Lady Jenna should suddenly become a realistic possibility, he feels he's accrued goodwill enough to, with a bit of plying, marry just about any maiden in all of Salisbury.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhun

"Madness!" Sir Rhun declares to Bledri, riding over to clap a hand to his fellow's shoulder. "I daresay we all hold our own. If you find yourself bothered, do as I do - remind yourself that allowing Sir Briant to talk to the highborn lords and kings means that we don't have to, and can concentrate on their ladies-in-waiting instead." The pagan laughs merrily, giving his companions a broad wink; he really is quite incorrigible.

As Briant starts discussing his goals, however, Rhun's expression gets decidedly more skeptical, and he gives an exaggerated shrug. "The Gods shall set to us what tests they may; my only plan is to acquit myself well and honorably. To serve my Lord and my King, and to demonstrate that the Old Gods still have a place in this world. To plan o'ermuch, to set goals and guides and aims, is folly in such matters, I believe. I shall be the best knight that I may be, an' that shall be all the planning I need, to my mind." His grin returns after only a moment, and he adds with a chuckle, "The only things I tend to plan for in this world involve matters that, I pray you understand, I hope none of you are in the room for."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Autumn 487[ - The Knights Tend to Personal Affairs

Their duties toward the Earl discharged for the year, the Knights of the Hound are free to tend to their manors, practice their skills martial and otherwise, and follow through on plans of their own devise. It is several months till Winter Court, after all, and ambitious young knights of Salisbury can always find something to occupy their attention.

So it is that the final days of September give way to October. The treetops look as if tinged with fire, brilliant crimson and golden leaves adorning the oaks and birches of Salisbury. The crisp breezes are full of the scent of ripe apples and plums, serfs' baskets full of fruit plucked from heavy branches, their aroma a counterpoint to the musky mushrooms sprung up throughout the county. The fine fur cloaks each Knight of the Hound easily can afford is worn a trifle tighter as the world slowly slips into winter.

But this is no idle autumn, for whether by design or accident, each of our knights finds this a more active season than usual....

Bledri

News of a strange visitor to Stapleford comes to Bledri's attention. His serfs for the past three days have had no timber, for a man with armor the color of a summer sky and a sword long as a man is tall has barred their way. Whether the peasants enter from one direction or another, always the blue-armored man appears shortly thereafter and forbids any wood be taken. He has proclaimed that he will allow no taking from the woods till he has come to an accord with the lord of Stapleford.

Elias

While riding one afternoon in Winterbourne Stoke, his squire behind him, Elias enjoys the fresh scent of fall and the peace of a demenses where the serfs are content and quiet. But then he notes an acrid air and foul smoke fair chokes his lungs. Turning his head toward the fields, he hears screams and sees black plumes of smoke in the distance. And over the cries of panic, he hears harsh words he recognizes all too well as Saxon doggerel: his manor is being raided!

Briant

Briant, too, has cause for excitement, but of a benign sort. The chance he has eagerly sought has finally arrived, for Sir Hywel has invited the ambitious young knight to West Lavington! There the rich banneret has requested Briant to regale his hall with the tale of helping Merlin retrieve Excalibur, as well as join in a small feast in celebration of mid-autumn.

Pellogres

As for Pellogres, he too receives a message, but from the Lady Ellen. She has sent a request, asking if the brave knight might escort the Lady Gwiona from Sarum to her priest and back again. The message adds that Lady Gwiona would not need to rely on the grace of the Earl's knights for such affairs if she yet had a husband to protect her.

Rhun

It is after a full meal at his own table, on a fine day when the sun's struggle to lend heat to the cool day seems on the verge of success, when the messenger comes calling at Broughton. A finely-dressed man, accompanied by two men-at-arms, he introduces himself as Blian, a servant of the late Sir Bles. He conveys a message from the Lady Adwen, asking if Rhun's invitation still holds to tour his demense and tell her more of the pagan rites therein.

• Locked thread