Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
OOC: The rules may have changed in this edition: there's no mention of a stabilization roll that I could see. So Rhun's first roll counts toward restoring hit points.

Also, everyone who makes a successful First Aid roll while tending to the prisoners gets 10 Glory (20 for a critical success).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ibntumart posted:

OOC: The rules may have changed in this edition: there's no mention of a stabilization roll that I could see. So Rhun's first roll counts toward restoring hit points.

Also, everyone who makes a successful First Aid roll while tending to the prisoners gets 10 Glory (20 for a critical success).

Whoohoo!

Glory This Game: 81 (forgot about that using the coin bonus!)
Experience Checks: Loyalty (Lord), Sword, First Aid

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 1, 2013

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

Seeing the battle concluded, Briant strides over to his fallen captive, and begins to apply simple triage. "You chose a poor time to skulk about our lord's lands. Curse your ill fortune, that you should encounter knights such as we. Worry not, for I am certain that your ransom will be paid."

(Looks like we're getting the hang of this whole First Aid thing. A 9.)

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sir Derek

quote:

Knight 5 (Bledri and Briant): -6 hit points/2 hp wound, 8 hp wound, 2 hp wound, 8 hp wound, 16 hp wound, 6 hp wound

So I have healed this guy's first wund for 1d3 with my earlier roll let's see if I can heal the rest of the wounds for good enough not to get him killed

All my healing rolls please don't miss nor fumble: 5#1d20 19 20 16 15 3

Well my roll for the 8hp was 19 so it was a miss and all the other rolls wouldn't count if I understood the explanation correctly so that fumble was wasted (yay)

How much did I heal: 1d3 3

Derek checks on the downed knight he manages to patch his earlier wound but the wounds are too many "This man wounds are beyond my current skills"

Glory so far
10 F.A.
50 using the coin on another knight
I believe that is all for me so far including XP checks as I've had no crits so far

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

Bledri also goes to a knight and tries to perform first aid. While he does, he asks Sir Elad, "So, this is not Sir Blains' first transgression against the Earl? Why does he dislike the Earl, so?"

quote:

[*]Knight 1 (Owain's crit): -4 hit points/32 hp wound

First Aid 10: 1d20 18 Using my coin to make the failure a success. Gaining 10 glory

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Pellogres

Pellogres moves to assist where he can now that the battle is over. The large, muscular youth is not as...dextrous as he'd like for this type of work, but he has a good heart and wishes to try as best he may. It looks as though his comrades have already stepped in to help with the worst of the wounded, but some of the men are still unconscious and look quite bad off. Not being a doctor himself, Pellogres lacks the knowledge to know how serious their wounds are, and thinks it may be best to patch them up as well. He moves towards the knight felled by Sir Rhun and begins his work.

First Aid?: 1d20 3 1d20 6 on Knight 6. While Pellogres manages to not tie the bandages around his own hands he does note that the wounds are a bit too serious to be really helped by his handiwork. Still, trying is still virtuous. Healing: 1d3 1 1d3 2.

Finishing with his first aid, Pellogres stands and walks to Sir Elad, showing a sign of deference before speaking. "Marshall, is there other work to be done here? It appears our fellows are tending to the worst of the wounds and I have done my best to assist, but are there other tasks to be taken on here? I await orders."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Spring - Heading Home

As Rhun finishes giving what aid he can, the stricken knight glares at him. "Let the Morrigan herself come to claim me. Death is but a door. Gladly would I step through it and leave this broken body to the earth to claim my new life and fight again." The words strain him greatly and his eyes flutter. He sighs and says no more.

Meanwhile, Sir Elad watches the knights tend to the fallen and the squires gather the enemies' horses and gear. Even though the battle is done, he seems somewhat ill at ease. He grunts at Rhun's apology, but answers Bledri.

"The Steward and our Earl both would have none but fair Lady Ellen as their wife. Wot ye well that the Countess is not only passing fair, aye, and none more courteous or graceful within a hundred leagues. Much was the wealth she brought Lord Roderick, manors several on the road along here to Levcomagus, and gold besides." He shoots an angry glance at the knights lying upon the grass. "He would burn down Salisbury entire and laugh upon yon hill, if only he could make Lady Ellen a widow and thus take her as his own."

He turns to the knights administering aid. "Be careful but quick. We ride to Sarum and will present our unlucky guests to Earl Roderick, and thence to your own jails."

OOC: So as it stands, Knight 1 is at -1 HP (being nice and giving the full 3 possible to Epicurius) and Knight 5 is also at -1 HP. If anyone wants to spend a Coin to bump up Epicurius's roll to a critical success, take your 50 Glory and know that Knight 1 will survive. Also, Knight 6 still has several wounds that others can attempt to heal. Sir Elad will help him out if no one else does.

After you guys finish talking with Sir Elad, we'll skip ahead to presenting the prisoners to Roderick and your subsequent jailing them until ransom's paid up. You guys are going to have some sweet ransom cash to wow the elite in the Winter phase (including fathers of future potential brides with large dowries).

I'll calculate the Glory totals in the next post. Please point out if you think I missed anything.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

I don't think mine was used earlier since I didn't really do first aid correctly when I was talking about using it and I was mostly successful this time. I'll use my coin on Epicurius's roll.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"Time enough for that later," Rhun murmurs, as the knight to whom he had been tending falls unconscious. "This life has more in store for you yet." Not that the man hears him, of course - but it matters to Rhun to say it. A fellow of the Old Faith is dear to him, though he be an enemy. He will have to keep an eye out to ensure the man is treated fairly, he decides, though he hesitates to claim the man as his own hostage; that is Sir Elad's decision to make, for he is the senior and most famed of the Knights.

(Though, he reasons, others of the company will almost certainly be staking claims of their own; he will not stop them. It is interesting, the quandaries he finds himself occasionally facing; being a Knight is more difficult than he might first have thought.)

He listens, then, to Elad's words, and grunts. "Then it is for her honor and not merely our own that we fight. Doubly glad am I to see that we have emerged victorious this day."

I'm going to pass on any further First Aid rolls - I made multiple rolls, after all, and some of the players haven't had that chance.

Also, Rhun will try to ensure that the knight he treated is treated well as a hostage, even if he himself doesn't get to claim the man; that way when our kids are fighting side-by-side at Badon Hill or something there'll be built-in backstory. Heh!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri considers the older knight's words. "That seems uncommon wickedness to me, and against the commandments besides. It is a rough sort of wooing that starts by giving your intended widow's weeds." And he is not so gentle with the captives after that, because of their insult to his lord and lady.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

I'll stop rolling for F.A. too

Derek stands up "We should also send some of their squires to find a priest or something for the fallen knights" Then looks at the group of squires "Or at least make sure they start digging their graves no sense to leave their bodies to the side of the road" He nods mostly to himself before turning to sir Rhun "Also Sir Rhun. Thank you very much for your aid back there I owe you something to drink"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

"More importantly, we should ensure the squires do not attempt any foolishness like trying to free the captives. Mayhaps we should not overlook their part in this trespass." Briant knew a squire was usually worth a few pounds, and, if possible, intended to collect. He brusquely lifted his captive to his feet, preparing him for the journey to Earl Roderick's court. Speaking to his fellow young knights, he added, "Well fought, everyone. An auspicious beginning, I would say. Let us hope this day speaks more to our own skill than our foes' lack of it." While his comments were only partly sincere, Briant had certainly come to have some respect for his fellow knights, having seen their performance on the battlefield.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhun

"You owe me nothing, Sir Derek - but I've rarely been known to turn down a drink when it's offered in friendship rather than obligation, eh?" Rhun laughs, finishing up his work in seeing to the disposition of the fallen and climbing back up on his horse. "We are brothers-in-arm this day - and in many more days to come, I would wager. Let there be no talk of what is 'owed' between brothers, then. Such is my view, at the least."

Sir Briant's words about squires causes Rhun's lips to tighten just slightly - he would never have done such when he was a squire, no? Besides, it's not like they're well-armed or armored. The man's avarice does him no credit, in Rhun's mind. That said, the moment passes, and his smile returns as Briant continues to speak. "And to you as well, Sir Briant! More than one mighty blow did you strike; 'twas well done!" The adrenaline high is sweeping Rhun away, it seems - combined with the shock of his own wound - and he's clearly feeling more than a bit ebullient about the band's success.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Business at Sarum

As it happens, the enemy knights' squires did not run off or spirit their masters away. And how could they, when the savage swordsmen of Salisbury stood guard, even as they also tended to the fallen foes' wounds? But Elad does bark orders at them to help prepare bowers and fastenings to more easily transport the knights back to Sarum, for the Marshall is determined to let Earl Roderick know what had transpired. He directs your squires to bind fast those of your captive knights, then to fasten their bonds by rope to the captured horses.

Thus you arrive the next evening, seven knights in tow and seven squires besides. Everyone notes your return and, at the Marshall's message, the Earl hastily prepares an audience in his hall for Sir Elad and your company. The Marshall recounts the details of the skirmish, commending each of you. Though he showers special praise upon Owain for his skill with sword and spear, and Briant and Rhun receive special notice as well.

But it is the hostages that the Earl's eyes return to again and again. Though he says nothing as Sir Elad speaks, he glares at the vanquished knights of Levcomagus and his face fair reddens at the mention of the Steward upon the hill of Allington. With a subdued but clear voice, he turns to you all and says, "Sleep in this hall tonight and break bread at dawn's light. And then hie yourselves and your hostage to your manors." His gaze returns to the captives, a fearful look upon his face which makes those still conscious shiver. But then he addresses you once more: "Know you have served Salisbury well. Right you were to be recommended for spurs and sword these scant weeks ago."

And then he leaves, Sir Elad accompanying him. Servants take away the captives to less august quarters, presumably calling chirurgeons as needed. You are left in the hall of your lord, there to speak among yourselves as you will and to sleep the sleep of the just for a few hours.

OOC:Feel free to indulge in some IC chatter; this adventure is over, however, and summer's is about to begin, so I'm going to close this scene out pretty quickly. You'll be seeing the Earl again very shortly for more savage violence noble tasks of chivalry and grace. After that, the Winter Phase begins and with it training, politicking and intrigue, and getting paid for your hostages.

Speaking of which, you probably should figure out the division of the hostages/ransoms, ICly or OOCly. I'll reveal right now that Sir Elad will want to split the ransom 50/50 with Rhun if Rhun's getting any other ransom; if Rhun's not getting anything otherwise, then he'll just straight up give the ransom rights up to Rhun because the Marshall is a hell of a guy.

Oh, also, I posted your Glory totals are in the OOC thread. Make sure to tell me if I missed anything.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Gladdened by their lord's praise, Briant claps Sirs Rhun and Owain on the shoulder in friendship. "A day well won, eh? This, this is what being a knight's all about. Serving one's lord and gaining glory through our adventures." Briant conveniently neglects to mention his personal favorite part, filling his coffers with ransom gold and using it to buy his way to higher social standing. Turning to all his fellows, he continues, "Mayhap sometime when our year's duties are fulfilled, you might pay my manor a visit, that I may treat you all to dinner." What he also fails to bring up is his plan to relieve his defeated foe of his standard, a trophy to mark his victory.

(I'd say it's safe to assume Briant plans to keep and ransom his knight. He'd have ransomed his knight's squire, too, had we gone with taking them. What everyone else does is up to them and none of his concern. Of note is that once brought to his manor, Briant intends to keep all of the knight's gear on-hand to return to him as he leaves, except his shield. His shield, with its standard, shall be hung on the wall of Briant's study, the first of many, he hopes. Also the captive can opt to have his stuff sold instead if he wants to eat anything better than a servant's meal. He's a hostage, and Briant's not running a bleeding inn.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"I suspect," Rhun murmurs in a soft voice, "that we may be too busy for much merriment any time soon, Briant." His eyes remain fixed on the entrance through which his Lord and Sir Elad departed, and his expression is faintly grim. "Unless I miss my guess, our Lord has revenge on his mind. We may wish to consider ensuring that our levies are prepared."

His expression brightens, then, and he shrugs. "Or perhaps I worry overmuch. At any rate, 'tis not a matter to concern ourselves with just yet, eh?"

Hostage Disbursement! The way I read it, Rhun has a partial claim on two knights - Knight Six, who had been fighting Derek, and Knight Seven, who had been fighting Elad (he gave up his claim on his first opponent to Sir Owain, recall). He could demand the full ransom for Knight Six (Derek's knight), since Derek was in pretty bad shape while fighting him - but he won't. He's going to offer a 50/50 split with Derek - which, combined with the 50/50 split with Elad, gives him one Knights' worth of ransom.

(a note on my motivation: Rhun is too Proud, by my estimation, to simply turn away a chance at ransom, but he is also Generous - so splitting a ransom with Derek lets him satisfy both behaviors)

As far as who actually takes which knight hostage, that depends on Elad - if Elad is taking Knight Seven back to his own home, then Rhun will take possession of Knight Six. If Elad would prefer to have Rhun take Knight Seven into custody, Rhun will ask Derek to take Knight Six.

Either way, though, he's taking a hostage home, and will probably end up treating them more kindly than Briant will! Heh.

Glory This Game: 186
Experience Checks: Loyalty (Lord), Sword, First Aid

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

"A bit of merryment would be well received" Derek says nodding "But Rhun's words ring true. We could always agree to a date let's say a seven days after we fulfill our duties, that way we can make sure our levies are getting ready for anything while we take a single weekend to gather"

He beams a smile "And then after winter court and before we are called to duty next year we could go hunting together"

If Rhun demands the full ransom from knight 6 Derek wouldn't deny him of this claim as it was thanks to him that he was defeated. He would not turn down sir Rhun's kindness and a 50/50 spread would be welcomed

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres beams as the group of young knights receive their lord's blessings and he looks to his fellows with a kindly expression. As the ceremonies wrap up he joins the group in their discussions, frowning for a bit as Sir Rhun mentions the possibility of further acts of aggression. "If only it were possible to lay arms down and come to an understanding. Sadly it seems our lord is being pushed to warfare by the acts of the covetous lecher." He shakes his head, not embracing the thought of further bloodshed, but then he crosses his thick arms and puffs his chest out. "Still, they are fools to do so, and we will prove them such if necessary.

"But enough of that talk. Sir Briant, it would be an honor to sup with you at your manor. I look forward to it! Perhaps we could have a gentleman's game amongst friends after repast?" Looking to Sir Derek, he nods again. "And hunting? Ha! You are all too kind. I would happily join! I would agree that we should take some time to look to our levies before we settle into merriment though."

Pellogres considers a moment as he plans to make Woodford as comfortable for his prisoner as possible. He had considered simply releasing the man, but he does not want to anger his lord by being too soft on a man who came to Salisbury for such devious purposes. Sir Pellogres simply didn't have it in him to be too rough on the man, though. He would be treated as a guest in his home, a status worthy of a fellow knight - even one from a rival county.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

"If all men were able to lay down arms, we would soon have nothing to do.", Bledri counters. "Still, it would be wiser for us to fight the Saxons, not each other." He shrugs. "Still, long as we keep winning, a fight isn't always an unprofitable thing, I suppose. It won us hostages, after all."

Smiling at Briant's invitation, he says, "I'll take you up on the dinner, gladly, and you, Sir Derek, on the hunt. And you must come to my home and be my guests" While Bledri says this, though, he thinks about all the work that still needs to be done about the manor. The ransom of his hostage will go a long way into restoring his home.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - Tides of War

Morning comes, hostages are taken to manors, and sent messengers to seek ransom. While wealth is no substitute for glory, having extra gold in your manor's chest is always a welcome thing. So is the promise of a winter hunt among comrades, and dinners and merrymaking besides.

But for now, you tend to your captives (some more charitably than others) and your wounds, waiting for the remainder of your service to be called upon. Gentle spring begins to cede the comfortable warmth of summer. The words you hear in court, however, or whispered among peasants or your own servants, is full of less gentle thoughts. Saxons come to bolster King Hengest's armies, a thousand strong by some estimates. Uther's bastard son, Prince Madoc, has been tasked with stemming this Saxon horde.

There is talk, too, of Merlin---how he has been absent many months with no news, but then, is that surprising when speaking of a sorcerer?

At any rate, the word on Prince Madoc proves true. On the very first day of June, your final duty for the year comes to you: you are to meet Sir Amig at Sarum, and thence travel with the Earl to Salisbury. Uther has summoned his vassals to make war on the Saxon kings and the Earl and his vassals, yourself included, march to battle under Prince Madoc's banner.

OOC: All of you should make an Intrigue roll, though really only one of you needs to succeed (presuming you share anything you learn with the others!). This is your chance to learn somewhat meatier versions of the gossip you've heard.

If you're bringing anything out of the ordinary, or making any special plans, this is the time... once you meet up with Madoc in Salisbury, you're riding to battle pretty much right away.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

(No dice on the Intrigue roll, ah well.)

Briant was much too busy with his own schemes to notice the details of piffling "rumors", particularly his game of constantly demeaning his hostage in a manner just subtle enough that the enemy knight cannot prove that it isn't just him being overly sensitive, not that he could do much about it either way. When the summons arrived, he made haste from his manor, leaving instructions that the captive was to be treated with almost as much dignity as any other knight, but obviously is not to be allowed out of quarters without supervision.

On his arrival, he first looks to find the familiar faces of his comrades, so that he might be assured strong men by his side. He also keeps an eye out for Sir Floridas, so he might have someone to keep to his front should a volley of arrows be loosed.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sir Derek

Sir Derek treated his prisoner with courtesy pertaining his station. When the call came he left instructions to keep the status quo with the prisoner until the ransom was paid.

Derek was mingling with the guests having an ear open for any news that might be interesting and an eye open to see if he found one of his companions.

Super Intrigue roll go!: 1d20 4

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Rhun makes certain that his hostage is well-cared for, especially if the man is a fellow Pagan; he would try to be kind regardless, but Rhun knows full well that those of the Old Faith remain in the minority these days, and he has no intention to make an enemy out of someone who he might see once he starts setting up Pagan festivals.

Apparently it works out pretty well, since he's got enough free time to keep his ear to the ground and pay attention to the rumblings at court...

Intrigue: 1d20 1

When word of Madoc's gathering of troops comes to him, Sir Rhun wastes no time. He calls up his levies, and save for a group of men left behind to guard the Manor, prepares to ride out to answer the call to arms. It's not the war he was afraid of - it's worse.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

Bledri does not mistreat his prisoner. . .after all, the circumstances of war mean that he may someday be a prisoner himself, and so it is simple common sense not to abuse prisoners taken. However, neither does he show him any special kindness, for this man serves a master that would slay his Lord and abduct his Lady.

So, he tends to affairs on his estate, all the while hearing talk of wars to come. But there is little he can do about them, except keep his sword sharp and men trained. Then, finally, the call comes. Prince Madoc prepares to drive out the Saxons once and for all. At the call, Bledri gathers the levy together, and then at their head, marches to war.

Intrigue (Against 4): 1d20 11

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres is gentle by nature, generous by choice and merciful to his core. As a result, he endeavors to care for his prisoner to the very best of his ability, ordering his staff to treat the man as one of his own family. Pellogres dines with the man regularly and does his best to comfort himself in a courteous manner, but occasionally reminding the other man that his lord's actions were ungodly and unbecoming of a noble.

When the call comes to meet Madoc's army, Pellogres rallies his levies efficiently and brings his men quickly to meet his lord, leaving behind a small band of men to guard the manor and servants to continue caring for his prisoner. Upon reaching his destination and meeting with his fellow vassals, Pellogres spies Sir Rhun and sets over to greet the knight. "Well met again, friend. I hope this morn finds you well cared for?"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"Well enough," Rhun tells Sir Pellogres with a smile, riding over to clasp forearms with his fellow knight of Salisbury. "'Tis a grim business before us, but a noble one, as well - we may have differences of faith, you and I, but surely we can both agree that the heathen Saxons must be smashed, eh?" He smiles a wry little smile, shaking his head. "Still, it will be a challenge, I suspect - far more than a simple raiding party from our neighbors. We will have to be at our very best."

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sir Derek

Derek walked up to Rhun and Pellogres "A challenge indeed. And we have to rise to it" he nodded “Show those Saxons what the Knights of Salisbury are able to do and hopefully dissuade them from future raiding”

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres clasps arms firmly with Rhun. "Yea, though I take no special joy their deaths. The Saxons must be kept from our lands as they have proven they cannot be trusted." He grins somewhat, though, a youthful expression coming over him. "I do look forward to riding with our Lord and his Lord as well, though. My father fought under the High King's banner, and it is an honor to take this step towards living up to his memory. That hope shall give me strength, just as your gods will give strength to thee." Sir Pellogres gives a respectful gesture to Sir Rhun, doing his best to be courteous despite their differences.

Pellogres rears his horse back and nods to Sir Derek at his approach, then. "Would that we could dissuade future raids. Still, I look forward to trying with such excellent company!"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

Bledri approaches, having heard Sir Derek. "The Saxons will not cease raiding till they are dead. If we want peace, we must drive them out and raid into their lands, if we can get the resources to do so."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"We are the resources to do so," Rhun remarks, drily. He greets Derek and Bledri in the same fashion that he did Pellogres, clasping hands with each.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

"And wot well that we are." Sir Briant strides up to the others, greeting them with almost-entirely-sincere warmness. "I should hate to miss out on the chance to put my boot to the rumps of a few Saxon brutes. My father's one distinguishing moment as a knight was hunting Saxons at the prince's side, he was among the most successful of the company." He appeared eager to get started, but he was secretly concerned about what sort of forces the Saxons may bring to bear, lest he meet an even more ignoble end than his father and grandfather.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - The News On the Wind

All know Uther marches against the Saxons this season. Sir Derek and Sir Rhun ferret out more substantial news and gossip from the grapevine.

Rhun through his acquaintances and reputation in the pagan community hears that Merlin still rests from last year's efforts, spent helping Uther claim victory in the Battle of Damen. And as the cunning men and wise women all agree, such work takes its toll on mortal flesh. A few mutter darkly that Uther is too hasty to make demands of his magician ally.

Derek's intelligences are of a decidedly less occult nature. A servant's son is... friends... with a maid at Uther's court and passes on overheard conversation from Prince Madoc and his knights. Word is that a second Saxon army arrived from the east; Uther promised the Duke of Silchester his aid, however, and will not divert his army. Duke Lucius of Caercolun has been ordered to hold them at bay.

Meanwhile Duke Gorlois of Cornwall was ordered to Silchester, just as Earl Roderick. But unlike the Earl, the Duke has sent no answer, let alone any men.

Summer 485- The Hosts Assemble

The day is hot when you arrive, and the city full and stinking, a disgusting and crowded place made worse by the lately come throngs of levies, squires, and camp followers carousing and squabbling within its walls. You all appreciate the decision by Earl Roderick to have many of his knights make camp outside the city proper for now. Though it is not long before the last of the summoned vassals have come.

The march begins at the break of day on a Wednesday morning two days from your arrival. There is no mistaking either King Uther or Prince Madoc: their banners are large and proudly stream in the cool early morning air, a large retinue of knights in gleaming mail and long, sharp spears around the king and his bastard son as they lead the army to the field of battle.

Your unit is not as majestic, nor neither as large, but you are in good company and good spirits nonetheless. You ride under the command of Sir Amig, the recent grantee of Tilshead Castle and one of the knights who trained you in swordplay as squires. He is not a young man, but all know him as a capable captain of men and veteran of much warfare. His six vassal knights ride alongside you. All told, you are thirteen strong including Sir Amig.

You reach your destination all too soon. After a night spent preparing yourselves however you wish---drink and food, practice at arms, wenching---you rise on a fateful Saturday morning and march onto the fields by Mearcred Creek, south of Salisbury. There a host of yellow-haired barbarians stand in rows, the wan morning sun glinting off their spearheads and axes. One mercy at least: not a one comes on horseback. With any luck, the first charge will be catastrophic against these interlopers. And then knights such as you can easily run them through as they rout, easy pickings for Cymric warriors on horseback.

Now the moment's come. Uther's banner rises and signals the advance. You take your place by Sir Amig and your companions, facing a line of Saxons a few hundred yards ahead. The wind is cold and crisp, carrying the sound of jangling mail, the stink of horse and sweat, and the anticipation of the horn's call to battle.

The horn is sounded---the charge has begun! Sir Amig lowers his spear and charges straight ahead. A band of ceorls lies before you. Ceorls are poorly-trained freemen who are lucky to even own a weapon... but unfortunately for your unit, they clutch clumsily at great spears.

OOC: The battle begins! Some things to keep in mind before the sword-swinging begin:
  • Don't forget your +5 to attack when charging in the first round.
  • The Saxons are all on foot. You get a +5 when attacking them and they have a -5 to defend except if the enemy has a great spear. Those nullify your advantage/their disadvantage. Don't worry, most of the other Saxons aren't equipped that well.
  • Subsequent rounds are going to be a bit weird. First I'll be rolling Melee Events, then Sir Amig's Battle roll for your unit, and then let you know who you're facing as well as any special modifiers.
  • Each round, I will roll to let you know how the rest of your unit is doing and how the enemy unit overall has fared. This can range from complete surrender to running away to no one but the PC knights left standing (in the unit).
  • Taking hostages will not be easy. You will have to disengage from battle (not easy) and either take your prisoner to the rear of battle, or summon your squire and help him secure the prisoner. Needless to say, this is not conducive to helping win the ongoing battle. Anyway, these are Saxons, not peers.
  • This battle is of a fixed length. At a predetermined point, either your commander or the enemy's will order a frantic retreat strategic withdrawal.

Okay, let's see how King Uther does on his Battle roll:
Uther's Battle roll (19): 1d20 18 So no modifiers.

And who are your enemies this round?
Who are you fighting?: 1d20 1

These are ceorls. Hardly any armor (1 point), no shields, Great Spear 5, Dagger 2, 3d6 damage if they hit you. Not tough, but those great spears do make what should be your knights turning them into mincemeat into slightly more even terms.

Right, have at it! Remember: +5 your first attack. This is a good time to roll for any inspiration while you're at it (Hate: Saxons is a good one).

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 17, 2014

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sir Derek

Invoking hate Saxons

Gosh darn Saxons get out of mah island! (passion): 1d20 11

Success! +5 To my sword skill during the battle raising it to 20

Also, I shared the info I had with my intrigue roll with the other PCs

Derek stood with the rest of his unit; this was his chance to recover some face after the fiasco earlier this year. He felt his body shaking with anticipation. There was a silent prayer in his lips as he heard the signal for charge

“Accinxisti me fortitudine ad proelium ante adversarii humiliasti me.” He repeated over and over in his head as he rode to battle. His spear ready to impact onto the the wall of flesh in front of him…

Lance charge like a Sir: 1d20 14
Lance damage (on a horse): 6d6 22

With a mighty roar his spear impacted the Saxon in front of him.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

(Given my rather extreme 17 in hating Saxons, it's no wonder I totally passed the check. 20 Sword until all the Saxons are dead and I'm dancing a lively jig among the bodies.)

Briant sees the Saxons on the field of battle, ill-equipped and horseless, and all his worries wash away in a wave of bloodlust. It's not like Saxons were god-fearing men of Uther's realm, they were dirty savages, and there was no reason not to slaughter them wholesale. With a roaring battle cry, he draws his sword and charges.

(Sadly, even with the charging bonus it's still just 12. Whoever gets hit, if anyone, gets to take 22 damage.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

As one of the few without a Hate (Saxons) Passion - yet, that could change depending on how this battle goes! - I can't roll it; I'm going to have to hope I can skate by with a Loyalty (Lord) Passion, since I'm here on my Lord's orders and all.

Loyalty (Lord) (target 15 or less): 1d20 10

Assuming the roll is permissible, I'll add +10 to my Sword skill, giving me an effective Sword of 25.

Rhun's usual ready grin fades as he looks upon the field of battle; the Saxons are a plague on this land, and he does not take them lightly. It seems almost a shame to waste the powerful charge of the mounted elite of the British army on the churls before him, but if those are his orders, he will by all the Gods do his duty. He may not share the bloodlust of his comrades, but he certainly shares their responsibilities.

Lance Charge: 1d20 14
Lance Charge Damage: 6d6 26

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

"Remember!", Bledri cries out to his companions. "Saxons die like ordinary men! Be brave and don't lose heart, and 'ware their spears!" With that, he lowers his spear, and, with a click of his teeth, spurs his horse forward into the horde of ceorls. While he knows he should hate them, he can't find it in his heart to. They're merely obstacles to be overcome.

My Hate: Saxons is only 11, so I'm not risking that. Normal non hatred attack! Effective lance skill is 20 (15 +5 bonus) Lancing some Ceorls (Target 20); Damage: 1d20 9 6d6 25

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres readies his spear, closing his eyes and muttering a prayer under his breath as he waits patiently. He has so little hate in his heart that, while his strength of arm is great and his skill with sword and spear sufficient, Pellogres simply has no great passion for bloodshed. Still, as he watches the battle of Uther he feels pride welling up inside himself and gets a euphoric high at the thought of fighting so near to not only his Lord, but his King as well. He knows that this battle is necessary and he will see it through to the very best of his ability. He clutches the spear at his side and, at the sound of the horn, roars mightily as he charges forth at the enemy's ranks.

I'm also doing a Loyalty (Lord) check if that's okay, since it just seems way more in character for Pellogres, whom I've been playing as a bit of a hippie. Loyalty check: 1d20 14. My attack next. Charge!!: 1d20 9 which I believe is a 14 because of the +5 charge bonus, correct? Damage: 6d6 16. Keeping up the middling damage rolls apparently, but hey. If it hits it hits.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - First Charge!

The dirt kicks up all about, making it hard to see your targets. But in a few seconds, you each feel the solid impact of spear upon human flesh and a moment later, the precise result of your handiwork.

Bledri's spear is red with gore, having hit a ceorl in the chest and ripping up through the shoulder. The pieces of the man lie under the hooves of Bledri's horse.

Rhun simply impales his target, the ceorl spitting blood and feebly grasping at the spear protruding through his left lung. As Rhun lowers the spear, the flax-haired man tumbles carelessly onto the ground.

Briant meanwhile comes under his ceorl's spear and delivers a terrible gash to the man's stomach. He gasps and falls to the dirt, his eyes fluttering, his face pale as a winter moon. And Pellogres, too, strike true, savagely slicing open a ceorl's shoulder. But though he staggers, the ceorl is not so readily dispatched. With trembling hands, he leans against his great spear and takes a few steps back.

It is against Sir Derek alone that any of the ceorls proves himself, for that worthy knight's target steps aside at the last and stabs viciously with his own spear as Derek passes. Unfortunately for the Saxon, and providentially for the young Salisbury knight, the shield strapped to his arm and the mail coating his flesh take the brunt of the mighty blow. Derek feels naught but an angry sting.

Looking about, you see that Sir Amig and his knights have cut a swathe through the ceorls. Blonde bodies, broken and bloodied, lie all around while his knights holler taunts and cry out in triumph. Though sadly one son of Salisbury lies among the Saxon dogs' corpses. Poor Sir Gracian will never again know the sweetness of raising sword against the Earl's enemies.

But you are victorious for all that. The ceorls frantically pull away and are mercilessly run down at Sir Amig's direction. A satisfied grin on his face, he raises his sword and has you ride over their bodies right into the next closest group of Saxons. You recognize these barbarians as more than mere farmers. These are heorthgeneats, the nearest thing Saxon tribes have to a knight. Rather than cower, they bang axes against spears and yell with excitement at your approach.

OOC: Okay, let's see how these ceorls did against your onslaught.

In battles, there are several special things that happen every round.
  • First, we close the round out by rolling on the Follower's Fates table. This tells us what happened to non-PC knights and the enemies they engaged.
  • Next is a Melee Events roll.
  • Finally, the unit commander has to roll at the end of every melee round to determine their unit's ability to stay engaged, pull back, retreat, etc.

Follower's Fate (Sir Amig 24): 1d20 12 Success, which means 10% losses total among the NPCs. 10% of 7 = .7 = rounded up to 1 of Amig's knights dead.
Melee Event: 3d6 15 The enemy pulls away and +5 to the unit commander's battle roll.
Battle Roll: Sir Amig 19 vs Enemy Thegn 17: 1d20 6 1d20 18 Actually, Amig should have had a 24, but it doesn't matter. He won, so he can choose to stay engaged to this unit or disengage as he pleases.

Finally, let's see who the new Saxon menace you're about to take on:
Who are you fighting?: 1d20 13
Heorthgeneats. These are no peasants, rather they are professional Saxon warriors (sort of like a barbaric version of a knight). Axe 16, Spear 14, 6d6 damage, Armor 6 (no shield).

You get a +5 for being mounted against them. They are too close for charging, unfortunately, so feel free to switch to a sword if you like.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

While Sir Rhun of Broughton has been in battle before - just earlier this year, in fact - those were skirmishes, minor affairs. This is Battle, and it is a very different beast indeed. After dropping one of the ceorls, the young knight whips his head around to find Sir Amig, taking his cues from the unit leader; when he chooses to let the ceorls flee and engage the new unit of Heorthgeneats, Rhun too wheels his horse around, drawing his sword.

With a whispered prayer to his Goddess, Rhun spurs his mount to attack.

I am drawing my sword and attacking in the same round. This confers a -5/+5 penalty - however, as we are mounted attackers facing unmounted foes, which grants a +5/-5 bonus, the two modifiers cancel out neatly. Huzzah! So my Sword skill - modified by Passion - remains 25, vs. the Heorthgeneats' skill (probably their Axe of 16).

Attack! (Sword 25): 1d20 19

gently caress YES, that 19 becomes a 24, and I crit like a mofo.

Critical Damage: 12d6 37

More ones than sixes in that roll, just a shade below the average roll of 42 - but 37 damage against a guy with only 6 armor ought to be enough to reduce him to a fine red mist.

(edit: I suppose it's possible that the Saxon could Dodge and evade the attack, mind you, but who ever heard of a dodging Saxon?)

As Rhun already has an experience check for Sword from our last battle - the Winter Phase has not yet arrived so it's still unresolved - the crit gives me no experience bonuses, though I'll get an extra couple of Glory, probably, which is nice.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sir Derek

“This is going to be a nasty bruise” Derek said to himself he saw the group of Ceorls fleeing and turned to the leader as he pointed at the Heorthgeneats. He readied his sword and charged towards the Saxon troops.
------
Current wounds: 4
Rolls
Swording these fools (Skill 25): 1d20+5 16

Damage roll: 4d6 19

• Locked thread