Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Pellogres had always known this day would come if he was strong enough to see it come to pass. His father had made quite the name for himself in death, even if most of his life was spent on minor garrison duties, and Pellogres knew that he would someday be called up to knighthood to prove his own worth. His forefathers had been strong and noble and that gave him a position of strength in this society. Pellogres did not take this for granted but he had also worked hard and tried to make himself into a perfect vision of knighthood to live up to his father's name.

He waited patiently for his name to be called, a soft smile on his lips as he mentally prepared himself. He looked around the room and took note of many familiar faces around the feasting table, especially around the head table. Before he knows it, he hears his name called and stands to his full height, walking as calmly as his joy will allow him to Roderick's throne.

"Pellogres, do you swear and acknowledge Earl Roderick of Salisbury to be your true and lawful liege?"

"I do so swear."

"Do you also swear fealty to Uther Pendragon, to defend and obey him until he depart the throne, or death shall take you?"

"I do so swear." Pellogres knew little about Uther himself, but where kings were concerned, Pellogres believed loyalty was a given until the liege proved himself unworthy.

As he took the blow, Pellogres had expected to have to roll with the punch to make it look favorable to his lord, but was pleased to find that the Earl was strong and able-bodied. Respect for the liege swelled within him as he returned to his knees and held his palms up.

"I, Pellogres, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Earl Roderick, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honor of knighthood."

Pellogres stands and dons his equipment, once again trying to contain his excitement and comfort himself nobly as is the custom. And then he hears the chants of the crowd. He watches as his fellows leap to their horses - some succeeding, some failing - and eagerly rushes to his horse, allowing himself this one moment of exultation. Whether he makes it or not, he knows that he will please the crowd just the same, and there will be many other chances to prove his quality.

LEAP!: 1d20 14

As he lands, he laughs heartily, falling backwards into the mud and smiling before standing up and walking to his fellow knights, grinning ear to ear.

quote:

Sir Pellogres the Mighty
Glory: 1674

Son Number: 1
Homeland: Salisbury
Culture: Cymric
Religion: British Christian
Lord: Earl of Salisbury
Current Class: Vassal Knight
Current Home: Woodford Manor

Personality Traits
Chaste 13 / Lustful 7
*Energetic 13 / Lazy 7
Forgiving 10 / Vengeful 10
*Generous 16 / Selfish 4
Honest 10 / Deceitful 10
*Just 10 / Arbitrary 10
*Merciful 17 / Cruel 3
*Modest 13 / Proud 7
Pious 10 / Worldly 10
Prudent 10 / Reckless 10
Temperate 13 / Indulgent 7
Trusting 10 / Suspicious 10
*Valorous 15 / Cowardly 5

Directed Traits:
Chivalrous Bonus: (84/80) YES!
Religious Bonus: NO

Passions
Loyalty (Lord): 18
Love (Family): 15
Hospitality: 16
Honor: 16
Hate Saxons: 9

Statistics
SIZ 14 (Knockdown)
DEX 10
STR 18
CON 12 (Major Wound)
APP 12

Damage [(STR+SIZ)/6]: 5d6
Healing Rate [(STR+CON)/10]: 3
Movement Rate [(STR+DEX)/10]: 3
Total Hit Points (SIZ+CON): 26
Unconscious (HP/4): 7

Distinctive Features: Piercing Eyes

Skills
Awareness 10
Boating 1
Compose 1
Courtesy 10
Dancing 2
Faerie Lore 1
Falconry 3
First Aid 11
Flirting 3
Folklore 2
Gaming 13
Heraldry 8
Hunting 2
Intrigue 3
Orate 3
Play [harp] 3
Read [Latin] 0
Recognize 10
Religion [Christian] 2
Romance 2
Singing 2
Stewardship 2
Swimming 2
Tourney 2

Battle 10
Horsemanship 15
Sword 15
Lance 15
Spear 6
Dagger 5

Horses
Warhorse Type: Charger
Damage: 6d6
Move: 8
Armor: 5
HP: 46
SIZ: 37
CON: 12
STR: 30
DEX: 17
Breed:

Riding Horse Type: Charger Move: 8
Squire's Horse Type: Rouncy Move: 6
Horse #4 Type: Sumpter Move: 5
Horse #5 Type: Rouncy Move: 6

Equipment
Armor Type (10 Points): Norman mail, with Shield (6 points)
Clothing (1 Libra Value): Fine clothing
Weaponry: Sword, 2 spears, dagger
Personal Gear (on Horse #4)
Travel Gear (On Horse #4)
War Gear (On Horse #2)

Family Characteristic: Clever (+10 Gaming)

Annual Glory Awards
Traits: 16 (Merciful)
Chivalry: 0
Holdings: 6
Passions: 48 (Loyalty (Lord), Hospitality, Honor)
Religion: 0
TOTAL: 86

Holdings
Manor of Woodford

Army
Family Knights: 0 Old Knights, 1 Middle-Aged Knights, 5 Young Knights
Vassals: N/A
Other Lineage Men: 16
Levy: 55

Pellogres's Great-Grandfather Aliduke only got up to 1500 Glory at his death. His son Pedivere fought at Carlion and accumulated a bit of glory. After that he wound up on garrison duty for the next few years, surviving raids up until 443 when he finally was slaughtered, ending with 1248 glory.

In 460 his son, Pellogres's father Pellandres, manages to get knighted. In 464 Pellandres is married to Anwen, netting himself 100 glory. He winds up on garrison duty until 468 when he fights in the Battle of Snowdon. He fights the Saxons for several years from there, helping to beat back their forces successfully. In 479 Pellandres sailed with the High King and fought in the Battle of Frisia where he died a glorious death, ending with 2520 glory and a 15 year old son who idolized his father.

Lager fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

"Sir Pellogres," he smiles broadly as he speaks the words, "of Woodford. A pleasure."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres takes Rhun's hand with gusto and pulls himself up to his feet easily, though without much grace. "I don't know that I agree, Bledri. We are knights - the highest calling of a man. Surely our elders would rather we succeed than fail. The leap is all in good fun, of course." He smiles warmly, his kind nature showing through. "Still, I look forward to standing with all of you in battle - I doubt there are many Saxons or Picts who could stand against the likes of us!"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres smiles and laughs as the elder knights rib him about his performance in the leap. Surely it's all in good fun, and they are laughing with him! As the feast winds down and the dancing and flirting and courtly politicking begin, Pellogres finds himself heading towards the man identified as Sir Floridas. He looks over to his Lord, and nods to himself as he considers that he is now a vassal of a great man - a man entrusting him to comfort himself as a wise and honorable man - not just in combat, but in the court as well. Loyalty was one of Pellogres's defining traits as much as his great strength of arm, and it swelled within him as he set off to show his quality. Perhaps courtly politicking would be more his pace this evening.

Going for a Loyalty (Lord) roll to get my courtesy rolls up some - Loyalty (Lord) Check: 1d20 16. Winds up with a critical success! I believe that boosts my passion score up by 1 point and gives me an experience check also, from what I'm reading in the book. So that gives me a +20 to my roll, making my courtesy check a 30!

With loyalty surging through his mind, Pellogres becomes an image of focus and grace as he strides over to Sir Floridas. He had picked this knight to introduce himself to as he was known to be a brave warrior as well as an honest and kindhearted man - something Pellogres admired and strove for himself. As he approached, Pellogres gave the older knight a deep reverence, bending his knee as deeply as he could in the mail which was stiffer and more difficult to move in than he anticipated. Still, his efforts to prove himself gave him agility he had never known before. As he stood, Pellogres began to speak. "Hail to you, Sir Floridas. I have heard much of your bravery and skill in battle, as well as your gracious nature - a testament to the true spirit of knighthood." His tone was so sincere that his words could not be mistaken for here brown nosing. "I am newly Sir Pellogres, son of Sir Pellandres of Woodford. I merely wished to speak with you, as I have long been inspired by your example. I am honored to stand in this hall with you." He holds out a hand in friendship to Sir Floridas.

Welp I would have made that courtesy check even without my passion roll but still felt pretty awesome to get my very first crit. It's the one that says "Courteous Motherfucker" on it.: 1d20 3. Becomes a 13 since I get a +10 to my roll for having a 30 skill check, as the book says that you get an additional skill check bonus for how much your skill is pushed up over 20.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Before

Pellogres smiles and lifts a cup of wine, nodding to the more experienced knight. "Your words do me honor, and I thank you. The knighting ceremony was splendid. Greatest day of my life, no question about it." He continues to discuss the knighting ceremony for a brief time as they drink, trying his best to hide his obvious admiration and pretend to be at ease. While not entirely successful, he gets the impression that Floridas does not mind and the excitement of being able to talk as a peer with one of his idols becomes evident on the young knight's face the rest of the evening.

After

Pellogres eats merrily, though normally somewhat abstemious in his diet. He is obviously eager for the patrol, and tends to become a bit more indulgent when he is excited. "Of course we shan't go looking for a fight, but I think we can more than handle anything we may find."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres happily enjoys the rich food, thinking to himself that he may just have to be careful - apparently a knight is given far more temptations to overeat. This food is far more satisfying than what he has been used to most of his life. Pellogres manages to avoid the temptation for now, though, as he knows it is important that they stay prepared for battle.

Not rolling temperance this time, maybe a different one later though.

As they are warned about the enemy knights and he mounts his personal charger, Pellogres adopts a more grim expression, preparing himself mentally for the fight to come. He takes his spear and couches it for use as a lance, adjusting his shield slightly as he urges the horse to charge.

My lance skill is 15, Chaaarge!: 1d20 9, so I hit. I'll roll my damage now in case I did better than my opponent. Damage roll: 6d6 19.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres let his spear fall and unsheathes his sword as well, thrusting forward quickly and nimbly dodging to the side of his opponent's swing. His thrust connects and Pellogres draws first blood in their matchup.

Sword skill is 15 as well, Attack!: 1d20 5. Looks like I beat his 3! Rolling up my damage...From what the book says I don't get the horse damage roll, and just roll my normal damage. Which is still 5d6, so none too shabby, just 1 less die than my charger. Let's see what I can get...Damage Roll: 5d6 18. Not bad, but not great - almost completely average. Oh well.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres allows himself a small chuckle at how evenly matched he seems to be with his opponent - neither of them has been able to make any major headway in their offensives, though Pellogres notes that he did manage to get the first real hit in, albeit a small one. Gripping his sword, he twists his legs slightly to direct his loyal charger and deftly maneuvers into position for another strike, slashing upwards to try and catch his opponent off guard.

Slashy slash!: 1d20 14, which is a hit as my skill is at 15. Almost a crit but I'll take it since that'll be hard to beat unless he crits. Damage roll: 5d6 16 another middle damage roll though.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres swung wildly, growing frustrated with the constant back and forth of this battle. It seemed no matter what, neither of them were able to injure the other. Unfortunately his frustration seems to cause him to miss, his blade meeting nothing but air. Pellogres curses himself and prepares for the other knight to take advantage, promising to keep himself under better control for his next strike.

Sword: 1d20 18. Basic miss.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Sir Pellogres grips his sword and swings his charger around for another pass but, as he brings his sword back for another thrust, his opponent throws his arms up in surrender. The heat of battle is strong, and Pellogres has almost lost himself in rage, but the sight of the other man asking for mercy snaps the young knight to his senses. Rearing his horse back, Sir Pellogres sheathes his sword and extends a hand to the other man. Pellogres's face had been humorless during the battle, but now his expression softens and he smiles warmly to the other man.

"You fought well, Sir Knight, and proved yourself nearly my equal. Shall we try to help your fellows? If you are a better medic than my companions, you might be of great assistance."

With that, Pellogres steps down from his horse, preparing to try and assist with saving the lives of the other knights. While the enemy leader was still standing, he was quite handled at this point, and there would be no point in getting in the way of Rhun's blows. While Pellogres is no great healer, he should at least try.

First, I decided to have Pellogres make a check on Merciful to see what might happen there. Merciful?: 1d20 8, passed quite easily there, so Pellogres isn't going to be a dick. Looks like we're all morons when it comes to first aid though. First Aid?: 1d20 14.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

I will go ahead and use my coin to make Pellogres less terrible at first aid, and see if we can get a prisoner to ransom out of this mess.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres moves to assist where he can now that the battle is over. The large, muscular youth is not as...dextrous as he'd like for this type of work, but he has a good heart and wishes to try as best he may. It looks as though his comrades have already stepped in to help with the worst of the wounded, but some of the men are still unconscious and look quite bad off. Not being a doctor himself, Pellogres lacks the knowledge to know how serious their wounds are, and thinks it may be best to patch them up as well. He moves towards the knight felled by Sir Rhun and begins his work.

First Aid?: 1d20 3 1d20 6 on Knight 6. While Pellogres manages to not tie the bandages around his own hands he does note that the wounds are a bit too serious to be really helped by his handiwork. Still, trying is still virtuous. Healing: 1d3 1 1d3 2.

Finishing with his first aid, Pellogres stands and walks to Sir Elad, showing a sign of deference before speaking. "Marshall, is there other work to be done here? It appears our fellows are tending to the worst of the wounds and I have done my best to assist, but are there other tasks to be taken on here? I await orders."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

I don't think mine was used earlier since I didn't really do first aid correctly when I was talking about using it and I was mostly successful this time. I'll use my coin on Epicurius's roll.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres beams as the group of young knights receive their lord's blessings and he looks to his fellows with a kindly expression. As the ceremonies wrap up he joins the group in their discussions, frowning for a bit as Sir Rhun mentions the possibility of further acts of aggression. "If only it were possible to lay arms down and come to an understanding. Sadly it seems our lord is being pushed to warfare by the acts of the covetous lecher." He shakes his head, not embracing the thought of further bloodshed, but then he crosses his thick arms and puffs his chest out. "Still, they are fools to do so, and we will prove them such if necessary.

"But enough of that talk. Sir Briant, it would be an honor to sup with you at your manor. I look forward to it! Perhaps we could have a gentleman's game amongst friends after repast?" Looking to Sir Derek, he nods again. "And hunting? Ha! You are all too kind. I would happily join! I would agree that we should take some time to look to our levies before we settle into merriment though."

Pellogres considers a moment as he plans to make Woodford as comfortable for his prisoner as possible. He had considered simply releasing the man, but he does not want to anger his lord by being too soft on a man who came to Salisbury for such devious purposes. Sir Pellogres simply didn't have it in him to be too rough on the man, though. He would be treated as a guest in his home, a status worthy of a fellow knight - even one from a rival county.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres is gentle by nature, generous by choice and merciful to his core. As a result, he endeavors to care for his prisoner to the very best of his ability, ordering his staff to treat the man as one of his own family. Pellogres dines with the man regularly and does his best to comfort himself in a courteous manner, but occasionally reminding the other man that his lord's actions were ungodly and unbecoming of a noble.

When the call comes to meet Madoc's army, Pellogres rallies his levies efficiently and brings his men quickly to meet his lord, leaving behind a small band of men to guard the manor and servants to continue caring for his prisoner. Upon reaching his destination and meeting with his fellow vassals, Pellogres spies Sir Rhun and sets over to greet the knight. "Well met again, friend. I hope this morn finds you well cared for?"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres clasps arms firmly with Rhun. "Yea, though I take no special joy their deaths. The Saxons must be kept from our lands as they have proven they cannot be trusted." He grins somewhat, though, a youthful expression coming over him. "I do look forward to riding with our Lord and his Lord as well, though. My father fought under the High King's banner, and it is an honor to take this step towards living up to his memory. That hope shall give me strength, just as your gods will give strength to thee." Sir Pellogres gives a respectful gesture to Sir Rhun, doing his best to be courteous despite their differences.

Pellogres rears his horse back and nods to Sir Derek at his approach, then. "Would that we could dissuade future raids. Still, I look forward to trying with such excellent company!"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres readies his spear, closing his eyes and muttering a prayer under his breath as he waits patiently. He has so little hate in his heart that, while his strength of arm is great and his skill with sword and spear sufficient, Pellogres simply has no great passion for bloodshed. Still, as he watches the battle of Uther he feels pride welling up inside himself and gets a euphoric high at the thought of fighting so near to not only his Lord, but his King as well. He knows that this battle is necessary and he will see it through to the very best of his ability. He clutches the spear at his side and, at the sound of the horn, roars mightily as he charges forth at the enemy's ranks.

I'm also doing a Loyalty (Lord) check if that's okay, since it just seems way more in character for Pellogres, whom I've been playing as a bit of a hippie. Loyalty check: 1d20 14. My attack next. Charge!!: 1d20 9 which I believe is a 14 because of the +5 charge bonus, correct? Damage: 6d6 16. Keeping up the middling damage rolls apparently, but hey. If it hits it hits.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres whips his horse around and grabs for his sword as the Heorthgeneats prepare for their assault. He takes one more look at Uther's banner to inspire himself as he rears the horse back and thrusts his sword forward into the fray.

Sword swinging: 1d20+5 16. Damage: 5d6 13. Yet another crappy damage roll.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres fights to keep his horse steady as the berserkers lumber forward, the sight of the beastly Saxons nearly sending his steed into a mad run. As he steadies his mount, though, he spins the sword in his hand and kicks at his horse. This is the moment that he has been preparing for his whole life, ever since his father was lost in battle. This is the moment where he will live or die and prove his mettle to king and countrymen alike. He charges forward at the berserker's lines, stabbing down with his sword, hoping to make a deep wound into the shoulder of the nearest Saxon brute.

Sword Swinging: 1d20+10 24 Between the various bonuses, it looks like I'm getting to crit also. Crit!: 10d6 25 Seriously?! Welp, another middling damage roll. Hey, I still got to crit though, and hopefully another knight will come up and save my rear end like Derek did for Rhun.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres smiles wide as he sees the enemy flee, raising his sword and whooping loudly, charging his horse after them just long enough to make sure they hear his cries of victory. Then he turns back and dismounts, striding to Sir Briant. He places a hand over his heart in salute, extending the other in friendship. "Sir Briant, you have my utmost gratitude for your assistance in defeating that brute. If ever you should require a boon, know that I will assist wherever I may." He smiles warmly.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Sir Pellogres greets his comrades with a friendly smile and a jaunty wave, "Well met once more, friends! I hope the winter months have found you hale and high-spirited?" He looks around at the other knights, "It is a pity Sir Owain has already departed, as he was a strong and noble knight, but it does my heart well to see you all, regardless."

On his way to Sir Roderick's halls, Sir Pellogres had made modest attempts at gathering information from other nobles and citizenry that he encountered, but it was to no avail at all, and so Sir Pellogres sadly knows very little about what dangers await them. As is his nature, of course, that troubles him little and he is perfectly willing to simply follow orders and do his duty for his lord.

Intrigue is at 3, so this is a Hail Mary for him. Intrigue? Hahaha...: 1d20 20. Hahahaha, ended just about how I expected it to.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres holds back a frown, but lowers his head a bit as they are given their mission. A moment passes and he considers to himself. He had been looking forward to more glorious battles, but he inwardly chided himself and bit his lower lip enough to draw a small amount of blood as a form of penance for his vanity. Then he smiles again and nods to their lord, reverencing to the Earl and agreeing with Sir Derek. "We are in your service, your lordship, in all things." He rises then, and awaits further instruction.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Joining with Sir Derek's improvised salute, Sir Pellogres nods. "Yes, of course you are all correct. Someone must patrol, and it is only right that our duty should be to remain here. I suppose even my father had to spend years at the garrison before traveling across the seas with his brothers-in-arms." Pellogres smiles, remembering the stories of his father's glory in the battle of Frisia. "Our time will come, brothers." He smiles warmly, inwardly shaming himself for his vanity and reminding himself to remain true to his ideals.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres thanks the servant, and upon hearing Briant mention the gifts as being from his cousin, Pellogres smiles wide, "From Sir Floridas? Most excellent!" Pellogres claps Briant on the shoulder firmly. "Your cousin is a most honorable man indeed!" Pellogres reaches a hand out to stop the servant from leaving too quickly, "Please - extend our appreciation to Sir Floridas and tell him that he need not worry about Salisbury in his absence as we young knights shall stand firm against his lordship's rivals!" Pellogres beams as he looks over the gifts, obviously in awe of being a peer of one such as the great Sir Floridas.

As the conversation turns towards planning, however, Pellogres adopts a more somber expression and listens carefully before speaking, "I agree with Sir Rhun, we must be careful not to focus our attention too heavily on Levcomagus. It would be a mistake of inexperience to do so, as there may be more dangerous enemies about whom we know nothing waiting in the shadows. We should do our best to cover as much land as possible and, I should think, to be as unpredictable as we may." He thinks a moment before continuing, "I think we should start and end our journey by checking on the doings of Levcomagus, that said. A full circuit is surely in order, but that seems the most logical route to take."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Sir Pellogres rides up next to Sir Rhun and clenches his fists tightly on the reins of his steed. He can hear the tension in Rhun's voice and is trying to keep his own composure, as well. Pellogres had strong opinions on the proper duties of a knight to the peasantry, and this knight was most assuredly not fulfilling those obligations. Pellogres stared long and hard at the man, his eyes burning with passion.

My recognize score is 10...Recognize: 1d20 10, I crit that one!

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres leans to Sir Rhun as the Pagan calls out to their fellow knight, "Sir Rhun - that knight is Sir Behan, I am sure you have heard tell of his zeal for justice?" Having informed his colleague, Sir Pellogres then decides to back up his friend's sentiments, "Sir Behan, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am Sir Pellogres, son of the late Sir Pellandres." Sir Pellogres lowers his head in a respectful greeting to his peer before continuing, "Sir Rhun here speaks well and true - we must plead ignorance to this man's crimes, but surely his debt has been paid? God granted us our position to serve the people of this land as their protectors, after all." Pellogres gives the man an earnest, calming smile.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres looks somewhat touched, and he smiles and nods. "You are correct, sir, and I am honored by your words. I have no stomach for this work, you speak the truth." Pellogres rides somewhat closer, enough that he can attract the attention of the peasants as he looks to them, "Still, by the looks on their faces these poor souls have learned more than enough lessons this day. I would gladly help with repairing the damages done by this man and his kin if it should help make recompense to you and yours, Sir Behan." Pellogres looks to Sir Behan expectantly, hoping that the older knight does not take offense to his pleas for mercy.

Courtesy first: Courtesy Check: 1d20 12. My base score is 10 so with the bonus I believe that passes, yes?

Next is my Merciful roll. I've got a 17, so we'll see what happens here. Merciful Check: 1d20 8. Passed, but not the highest roll. We'll see what happens now.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres exhales deeply, realizing how tense he had become as he waited for the elder knight's response. But he smiles again now, having been vindicated for his merciful feelings in some small measure. Looking to the peasants, Pellogres continues, "Indeed, Sir Behan, these men should learn from this experience and know that God has given them an opportunity to move beyond this pain to find true penance. Go in peace." Pellogres directs his last statement directly to the serfs.

Pellogres turns to the new arrival now, their new fellow. "Will you be joining us then, good Sir Grigor? The extra company should be most welcome." As he finishes he reaches out a hand in friendship.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres nods as his fellows speak up, "We are nearly finished with our patrol and all has been mostly quiet, Sir Briant. Still, you do speak wisdom. Perhaps Sir Derek and Sir Grigor, who were first and seemed eager to assist, should find the stray animal while the rest of us complete the circuit? In the morning we shall head back from our patrol, we could simply wait at camp for our company to be rejoined as you suggest."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Suspicious check: 1d20 18. Base score is 10, even with the +5 I did not pass that one.

Sir Pellogres stares at the goat, his mouth hanging open in shock. "Are we sure that is a goat and not a bull?" Pellogres looks to Sir Briant, "I'm afraid the herdsman is correct, we may well need our full company to convince that great beast to return to his master."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Loyalty (Lord): 1d20 8. Passed!

Upon hearing the words of the simple goatherd, Pellogres closes his eyes and thanks the Almighty for giving himself and his band of friends a valuable lesson in remembering to be men of action - not words - and humility in committing themselves to even small tasks such as this one. Finishing his silent prayer, Pellogres wheels his steed around and begins trotting towards the goat. While he has no experience with goatherding, Pellogres is inspired by his loyalty to the goodly Earl and promises to do his utmost to complete this duty.

And then a giant appears, suddenly making this quest significantly more dangerous, difficult, and exciting as well. Pellogres cannot help but smile, thinking that perhaps his prayer has been rewarded by the Lord, giving them a more glorious task in exchange for their obeisance. Pellogres looks to his fellows as he makes preparations, calling forth his lance and readying the reins of his horse. Pellogres actually is fortunate enough to have a spare charger, so he was already riding a combat-ready steed as he consciously switches horses every few hours to avoid tiring out his warhorses but always leaving him ready for a surprise battle.

Pellogres charges alongside Sir Derek, whooping and calling to bring his allies into the spirit of the battle.

I am going to give my +10 bonus to my sword skill. Charging with lance (15). Charge!!: 1d20 19. Aaaaand, I think that's a failure. Unless I get any relevant bonuses that I'm not remembering.

Edit: with the +5 I guess I pass? Damage roll: 6d6 29 in case it is a hit.

Lager fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 17, 2014

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres mutters a quiet prayer as the giant is dispatched, then raises his head high and smiles to his fellows. Turning at the sound of laughter, however, the smile quickly disappears as Merlin makes his presence known. As Sir Rhun rides after, Pellogres calls for his squire and begins to do the same as he looks over to Sir Bledri and the others, "Our patrol is ended, and I for one am sure that the Earl would wish us to assist King Uther's advisor with any task he may have for us. We should make haste, as we have already felled a giant - who can say what else may wait in these woods? This may be a danger to Salisbury and it is our sacred duty to look into such matters."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Listening carefully to the wizard's words, Pellogres rides along after with Sir Rhun. "If there be monsters this close to Salisbury they shan't remain long in this world. We dispatched the giant in but a moment's time, and I hope the Lord will not prove me overconfident, but I have faith that we shall defeat this new enemy with equal alacrity."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Awareness: 1d20 3. Success!

Sir Pellogres dismounts, taking his sword and thanking his squire for good service - it seems appropriate to ensure the young man knows how much Pellogres appreciates him, as the noble knight has an ill feeling about this quest. He smiles a bit to try and ease the squire's concerns as he strides off to follow Merlin. He holds his head high - even if they go to some terrible doom, they are knights of the realm and must comfort themselves accordingly. This is their duty, and they shall see it through to the end. Still, his hand tightens on the hilt of his blade. This may well be the most dangerous adventure they have yet had, but Pellogres intends to fight as hard as he must to make it back home.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Loyalty (Lord): 1d20 9. My Loyalty (Lord) is 18, so I definitely won that one.

Pellogres watches as the four-armed man charges, followed by the large hunting hound, and hears the words of Merlin echo in his ears. Instantly, the Scion of Woodford knows what he must do - protect the King's Man, and see that the Earl's interests are served against these fae beasts.

Lifting his sword and shield into a fighting stance, Pellogres swings hard at his opponent, inspired by the strikes of his compatriots.

Pellogres: Attacking Four-Arms: 1d20 10 against 20 with the +5 boost, so I hit.

Unfortunately, Clubbing Pellogres: 1d20 13 Four-Arms managed to get a 13, and beats my 10. Damage: 4d6 20. 20 damage, which would suck, but Pellogres has 19 armor (10 armor, 6 shield, 3 chivalry bonus) and so takes 1 damage.

The blow impacts hard against the thick wooden club of his opponent, but Pellogres is unable to follow through on the blow and, due to his higher ground advantage, the four-armed warrior manages to knock the noble knight's sword away, driving the club into the shield of his opponent. Pellogres feels the impact shudder up his arm, most likely causing a nasty bruise, but no serious injury.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

First off, spending my coin to give Rhun a crit on his roll against the sword attack. Claiming my 50 glory.

Pellogres pulls his arm back again, preparing to parry another blow, but instead he finds an opening as big as a wild boar directly in front of him - the four-armed monster is focusing on his companions instead. Pellogres smiles faintly as he takes the opportunity to strike a deep thrust into the creature's side.

Unopposed Attack!: 1d20 10. Success, onto damage.

Damage Roll: 5d6 13. Sigh...Middling damage rolls? Check. 8 damage after subtracting armor.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres beams from ear to ear as he hears Bledri speak of an oath of brotherhood. "Yea, I would swear this oath with pride. We have done great deeds together, and I dare say that these are to be but the first of many." He takes in a deep breath, letting the moment sink in and they rejoin their horses and continue on. "The Knights of the Lake would be my choice for name, for what it's worth. Though with this choice of token I certainly would understand the Knights of the Dog as a title for our band as well."

As the topic of providing an accurate account comes about, though, Pellogres adopts a more thoughtful expression. "I agree with Rhun and Derek on this point, I must say. Earl Roderick would justly be quite vexed if we were to give him a less than accurate account. While I do not love the idea of being turned into a toad for displeasing Merlin by revealing his methods, I would at least be the most honorable toad in all the lands." Oddly, Pellogres has quite the serious expression despite the frank absurdity of his words.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Modesty: 1d20 10, which means Pellogres is feeling pretty humble.

Pellogres smiles and accepts the toast, but shortly after finds himself pulling back from the celebrations somewhat, allowing his brothers-in-arms to take the lion's share of the accolades. He nods his thanks to Sir Briant for the kind words, and gives Sir Floridas a worthy reverence for his, but spends most of the celebrations on the periphery. As the night wears on, however, he notices Sir Rhun becoming a bit more lively than is perhaps wise. Moving over to his friend, Pellogres smiles and places a hand on Rhun's shoulder. "Perhaps, Sir Rhun, we might take our leave of the Earl's company? The hour is getting late." Pellogres looks around the room, hoping that he might spare his comrade the embarrassment of comforting himself as a drunken fool.

Passion check since I'm going to be trying to save face for our fellowship. Loyalty (Knights of the Hound): 1d20 1. I winced when I saw the 1, but realized afterwards that less is more with this game. Adding the bonus to courtesy and rolling up a courtesy check to see whether I can use my good manners to make up for Rhun's sure-to-be drunken hilarity. Courtesy: 1d20 16. Success with the bonus.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

First things first, we'll see if Pellogres behaves himself. Temperate: 1d20 5. Looks like he's going to stay pretty abstemious in his diet and drink. Also rolling Loyalty (Lord) to add to courtesy since, as per usual at these events, Pellogres understands fully that his behavior will reflect directly back onto the Earl and he wants to make sure that he is not the problem child. Loyalty (Lord): 1d20 8. Success! Adding to Courtesy. Also rolling a d6 to see which of the six listed potential wives most piques his interest. Falling in love: 1d6 5. Going off the order listed (with Sir Hywel and Earl Roderick's daughters as 1&2, and the rest in order in your description post) that would make Lady Gwiona the object of Sir Pellogres's affections.

Pellogres comforts himself according to his nature - withdrawn and without much boasting or outward celebration, but the smile on his face as he watches his friend Sir Briant present his gift to the King shows that his inward, private celebrations are quite dramatic. As the celebrations wear on, however, Pellogres continues to watch more than participate. After a long while Pellogres manages to break out of his shell and socializes with Sir Jaradan and Sir Amig for a time. Courtesy check: 1d20 8, success on my courtesy check. Sharing merry tales with the pair of knights, Pellogres seems to be in rare form as he describes the mossy, rotting odor of the four-armed swordsman, amongst other tales of their adventures.

Eventually, watching Sir Rhun dancing and flirting with Lady Adwen causes him to become severely contemplative, however. Pellogres begins to remember his childhood, and how inspired he was to take up the blade by his father's glorious death in fighting for the King. Pellogres worshiped his father, and that experience has shaped his life ever since. While Pellogres is still young, he understands all too well that a knight can die at any time, and that a knight must be prepared with an heir almost immediately. He and his comrades have been lucky up till now that they have all lived to tell their tales, but perhaps that will not always be so...

Excusing himself from Sir Amig and Sir Jaradan, Pellogres wanders for a time, contemplating his actions and becoming deeply introspective. Eventually his foul mood is broken when he looks up and, across the room, spies a beauteous creature as if for the first time. Lady Gwiona is standing nearby Countess Ellen, the light from a nearby torch casting shadows on every figure around her even as her own face is dramatically illuminated. Her eyes shine brightly and seem to stare directly into the very soul of the young knight, and Sir Pellogres is very nearly knocked to the ground as she gazes at him. Gathering his courage, Sir Pellogres very nearly leaps across the room to her side, forgetting entirely the niceties of society. Waiting for her service to Countess Ellen to be at an end for a time, Sir Pellogres walks to her and reverences low.

"Lady Gwiona, I am Sir Pellogres of Woodford. I hope you will forgive my presumption, but I had to meet you this evening. I am no great wordsmith, but I am true of heart. I wish to inform you that I have been smitten by your beauty, and it has felled me with more passion, and more fury than the blows of any man or beast that I have yet fought. If you should tell me to leave, I should leave. But please, ask of me not to leave. I would be glad to hear your words simply because they are your words, but please do not ask me to leave." Pellogres looks up into her eyes, and rises to his full height for the first time in the Earl's hall. Pellogres is a tall, muscular man, but his natural introspection means that he usually holds his head held low and his shoulders bent forward, making him seem nonthreatening and approachable at all times. Now, though, the purpose that he has been instilled with has given him an entirely different posture, making him almost unrecognizable even to his close friends.

Love (Family): 1d20 10. Succeeds, discarding my previous passion to use this as a +10 to courtesy for the purposes of introducing myself to the object of my affections. And glad I did, because Courtesy: 1d20 19, which succeeds thanks to the +10 bonus to my base score of 15 in courtesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

BEFORE

Pellogres's eyes grow suddenly wide as he realizes that he has forgotten the rules of courtesy entirely by speaking directing to the Lady Gwiona, but smiles at Countess Ellen's words. At hearing Lady Gwiona's assent to his attentions, Pellogres beams with pride. "Yea, Countess Ellen, I assure you that my words will be filled with naught but respect and we shall not flee your sight."

At this, Pellogres excuses himself with Lady Gwiona, though carefully staying well within the sight of Countess Ellen to prevent any further controversy. Doing his best not to lose his nerves, Pellogres continues speaking to the Lady Gwiona for some time, but begins to feel embarrassed at his lack of skill in anything but courtly protocols and combat procedures. Eventually, Pellogres smiles and bows his head, "Lady Gwiona, I have told you that I am no great wordsmith, and this is true. I am no great singer, composer, or dancer besides. But I am earnest in my love for you, and shall do all that I may to prove my quality. I have no doubt that my companions and I will be setting off in the Spring to bring glory for Earl Roderick's name, but I would tell you honestly that my interest this day is in bringing glory for your own. Tell me what you would wish of me, and I shall do my utmost to make myself worthy of your gaze, but I shall dedicate my strength of arms, skill of sword, and all of my passions to you." Pellogres raises his gaze to meet her own as he awaits her response.

I'm waiting on making a post for the big fat feast until after Briant has gone, since he's starting the story, but I figured I'd make Pellogres be a big goober again while I had the time to post.

• Locked thread