Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«22 »
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You should just use Defender which is built in to windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OFFICIAL BITCH OF DANBO DAXTER

Pillbug

Also use a non-admin account, have an adblocker, leave UAC on, etc. etc. But yes, Kaspersky is garbage and should go in the garbage with Symante and McAfee.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

It shouldn't really have anything to scan unless it's slipped a root cert onto your machine and is MITM all SSL stuff. Which is bad and should be removed.

I'm not sure how to check for this.

Ok I managed to turn Kaspersky completely off. Restarted the computer and retested everything:

Speedtest.net: 203/199 CPU 36% Chrome is most of it
Speakeasy.net: 922/941 CPU 40-63% Chrome is all of it
Fast.com: 450 CPU 40% Chrome

Speakeasy can get the high speeds. Not sure what's up with Speedtest and Fast.com.

Thanks for the help. I had no idea Kaspersky could cause problems like that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pillbug

Speedtest.net uses Flash and has trouble at higher speeds. Try the beta - http://beta.speedtest.net/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Also use a non-admin account, have an adblocker, leave UAC on, etc. etc. But yes, Kaspersky is garbage and should go in the garbage with Symante and McAfee.

I remember using Kaspersky once, then I realized it actually fucks up the NTFS filesystem of the drives it scans. Only way to fix the corrupted NTFS was to format the affected drives. What were they thinking?!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ihmemies posted:

What were they thinking?!

They will never remove our software if doing so caused all their drives to become unusable!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pillbug

Ihmemies posted:

I remember using Kaspersky once, then I realized it actually fucks up the NTFS filesystem of the drives it scans. Only way to fix the corrupted NTFS was to format the affected drives. What were they thinking?!

I don't know, but ask my predecessor who decided to buy 10 licenses and then install precisely 1 license. On our main file server. And then rebooted it. In the middle of the day.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

This. Third-party antivirus has been a crock of extortionist poo poo for ages and was only really useful in the days of shock the monkey banner ads and pop-unders covering 70% of your screen.

Windows Defender and uBlock Origin on your browser. Congratulations, you now have a fast, safe computer that even meemaw's share and like for more prayers addiction can't gently caress up.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Travic posted:

I'm not sure how to check for this.

Ok I managed to turn Kaspersky completely off. Restarted the computer and retested everything:

Speedtest.net: 203/199 CPU 36% Chrome is most of it
Speakeasy.net: 922/941 CPU 40-63% Chrome is all of it
Fast.com: 450 CPU 40% Chrome

Speakeasy can get the high speeds. Not sure what's up with Speedtest and Fast.com.

Thanks for the help. I had no idea Kaspersky could cause problems like that.

There are so many reasons a path between you and a speedtest server won't give you a full gig. Honestly there's no reason to be going too crazy with these tests you're doing because it's fruitless. You will never get gig up down on all speed tests at the same time on a residential fibre connection.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

fast.com is awesome and doesn't use Flash, even though it obviously exists to pressure ISPs to not throttle Netflix to affect the results.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

~death to capitalism~
Chrome OS is shit for idiots

A lot of the servers those speedtest sites use are really intended for things like 100 megabit connections and down, as they're often run off of spare bandwidth/servers. Not getting ~900 megabit speeds to them on a gigabit connection can be as simple as the server not actually being able to provide ~900 megabit uplink and downlink.

I only have a 220/12 service but I still run into problems like that, there's a few of the local servers on speedtest.net that never break 75 or 100 megabit, while others consistently go to 230-240.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Fun Shoe

Ok good. Things have been going better since disabling Kaspersky. I may have to head over to the Anti-virus thread and pick their brains as well. Thanks for all the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Not an empty quote.

«22 »