Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Propaganda Hour posted:

One of the first posts was "move to the US northwest if you want a good connection." Well, don't move too far north. In Anchorage Alaska I pay $110 a month for 18Mbps/1.5Mbps with a 150,00GB cap that I run over every month. Hooray! That's what you get when you only have one real internet provider in town and they just so happen to be evil. I might talk my neighbor into splitting the fastest plan of 100Mbps/5Mbps with 500GB cap but it's over $200 a month.

Oh, but we're getting "fiber" soon. Uh, 2015. Also no mention of speeds, caps, or pricing yet. But fiber!

gently caress you GCI.

Heh, I have that 100/5 service now through GCI Business. They even lowered the price to $245/month! Here's hoping they end up bumping the speeds some more once they finish some of the core routing upgrades, and add another 128 colors to the SONET links. At least we're not stuck with just the ACS gen1 DSL as our only internet option.

Having shot the poo poo with the tech who came to replace a damaged drop (business support is pretty awesome), and taking a look at GCI's balance sheets, it looks like they're reinvesting a TON of their money into upgrades and increasing capacity on those big SONET links to WA. They're also redoing a lot of the CMTS and direct buried cables, bringing them up to spec for a pretty beefy DOCSIS 3.0 rollout. By changing how the runs terminate at the CMTS (fiber -> CATV conversion box, looks kinda like a mini-fridge full of line cards), they're able to have 100+ DOCSIS 3.0 channels shared by as few as a dozen homes. At ~42mb/sec per channel, it's pretty easy to support a gigabit to the home link via coax.

The back end switches capable of routing hundreds of gigabit links tends to also get stupidly expensive, which is probably one of the reasons that out of ~183 mil in quarterly earnings, ~3 mil ends up as net after tax revenues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Welp, GCI just updated, so now I get exactly 1 megabit for each dollar I spend every month. Too bad that with a 550GB/month cap.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sub Rosa posted:

GCI *shudder* I think I had a 15GB cap with them when I lived in Alaska. Hundreds of dollars of overage charges every month.

They're less of a gloriously awful 3rd world internet shithole these days. They want $200+ a month from you, and they don't give a poo poo if it includes TV, internet, or phones, as long as you're paying out the rear end each month.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Helpimscared posted:

What's the point of having that good of a speed if your capped? I couldn't get through a month on that :P

Cap is bumped to 900 GB this month, which is enough that I really don't feel the data crunch unless I go hog loving wild with the downloading and ultra-HD streaming. They're getting ready for 1 gbit cable plans with a 1.2-1.5 TB/month cap on them, which is kinda fair since everything has to go through like 4 undersea fiber lines to get to the rest of the world anyways.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

KillHour posted:

Stop defending lovely practices that lead to 3rd world infrastructure.

These are my statistics from the last week. I'm considering upgrading to the next tier (150/150), but another $55/mo is more than I want to spend.

I'm not defending poo poo, the caps they have are just high enough that I don't feel the need to jump ship to their competitor. Alaska not having any pre-existing intertie capability to the rest of the world means any major capacity upgrade also requires getting undersea cables laid or the head end units replaced and the entire cable re-tuned for the higher number of colors. Both of which are expensive as gently caress.

If they got rid of caps, I would be delighted, and they would be my new favorite company ever. They still win some brownie points because by doing the massive speed upgrades this year, they pushed the local market from lovely DSL1/Unlimited as the only competitor to now offering 100/10/Unlimited. By this time next year, the market should be much better than it was at the beginning of this year.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Kilazar posted:

If there are better choices I am willing to look at them. These are just the two that stood out on Amazon.

The modem should really be just a modem. The all-in-one router/mode/wireless jobs are all either poo poo, or way more money than they're worth. Get the regular surfboard modem and leave your router in place.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

KillHour posted:

A tier 1 provider like Level 3 or Cogent would probably run fiber for free if you signed a 1 year contract. They're not cheap, but if you need the bandwidth....

Most places will do the install free or deeply discounted when you sign a 3 or 5 year contract. Do keep in mind that you're gonna be paying north of $1k a month for the service.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Woo, my area just upgraded to gigabit* internet. Such speed, much fast, wow. My machine spends more time waiting for the real time scanner to virus scan the download than to actually download the file.

*Gigabit cable, 960 down/50 up, it's google fiber, but the upgrade was free.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Verizon seems to already be throttling Youtube (again). Everything's starting at the lowest resolution and buffers/crawls at 720p+.

Set up a SSH proxy in the cloud and route youtube through that, see if things change. They're a pretty easy way to get around specific throttling, or to force a re-route to not use the stupidly congested interlink.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

C2B keeps delivering

I have that on chrome, and yes, reading marketing copy on LinkedIn is always amazing. The Millennials to Lizard people one is also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a VPN thread?

I'm using a SOCKS proxy hosted through a $5/month Vultr VPS right now - but it's kind of annoying that I'm getting blocked by more and more websites. Suggestions for a different service? I'm guessing any VPS company is going to have these problems. First it was just sites like Ticketmaster but now it's government sites and all kinds of poo poo - probably just banning bots etc which I understand.

Spin up a VPS VPN solution through Digital Ocean, Amazon AWS or some other hosting provider. Most of those aren't hellbanned from everything because people aren't using them solely for shitposting and circumventing IP bans.

• Locked thread