Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Looks like modders are trying to keep the ranked ladder experience alive https://www.pcgamesn.com/warcraft-3-reforged/multiplayer-community-w3champions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1418209849133969408

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Countdown to a video of James Stephanie Sterling laugh their rear end off for 10 minutes before ending with "Of course they loving do."

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

quote:

In the beginning, the Classics Game team had ambitious plans. Throughout 2017 and 2018, developers revamped the game’s script and re-recorded all the dialogue. The goal was to rewrite scenes and flesh out characters to align them with the lore of World of Warcraft, the massively popular online game that had been evolving the story of the franchise for the previous decade and a half.

David Fried, a designer on the original Warcraft III who was briefly brought back to work on Reforged, said in an email that “there were things in the works for Warcraft III: Reforged that would have absolutely revitalized a classic game.

Sorry the game is bad because the new models suck and there's no ladder. Also the community is full of toxic horrible trolls and multiplayer kept dropping people randomly for 6 months. Also they promised cinematic rendered and in-game cutscenes but we only got one. Who gives a poo poo about WoW lore continuity lmao.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Warcraft III: Reforged was Blizzard’s first bad game

lol

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Yes lets just ignore Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Hearthstone and Overwatch.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

And every WoW xpac from Cataclysm onwards

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

dr.acula posted:

Yes lets just ignore Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Hearthstone

All of those games were fun at some point. Not necessarily at launch or up to this point (never played overwatch) but they had their moment in the sun for me at least.

They're probably going by financial metrics anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Diablo 3 is the worst video game sequel I've ever played but you're right they likely mean financially.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I sincerely believe Warcraft 3 Reforged is the worst video game ever made. There are games that are more offensive in their content, or which play worse, or which are more technically inept, sure, but those games however bad merely brought something terrible into the world that could be ignored. The existence of Sonic 2006 does not in any way impact your ability to play and enjoy Sonic and Knuckles.

Warcraft 3 Reforged, unique among games to my knowledge, not only introduced something terrible, but removed something great. You cannot play Warcraft 3 anymore. Your ability to enjoy something good has been destroyed by the existence of WC3R.

People like to be hyperbolic and talk about new games or movies in a series ruining their childhood, but in this case it is almost literally true.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

WC3R is just such a shame. It's even more of a shame considering all the love that Diablo 2 is getting. After the preview a few months ago the devs actually took fan response to heart and changed some look and feel to make it updated but still have the feeling of the original. I'm not sure why this dev gets so much leeway to making a good game and Warcraft didnt.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Throughout 2017 and 2018, developers revamped the game’s script and re-recorded all the dialogue

Is that why they had to crudely cut some words out of the old sound files to not call him Grom Hellscream anymore, or how did that go?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

On a technical level Reforged is horrible, in a way that no previous Blizzard game is. They worsened the UI, you can't even tell the buildings on the menu apart. The art design is laughably bad, it was like receiving an alpha to play for $30, the character portraits alone are a "we weren't ready to ship this" red flag. A bunch of features just disappeared. Virtually none of the promised improvements to campaign happened.

It's just absolutely trash and the first major sign that something was seriously wrong at Blizzard that couldn't be fixed, that the company is on the way out as one that matters.

They've struggled throughout the 2010s on various things, Diablo 3 they barely salvaged, Starcraft 2's problems were mostly centered on Blizzard's bad esports management, there hasn't been a consensus good WoW xpac in forever. That's all really survivable, the coop experience on Starcraft 2 is fun and I appreciate that they tried to turn around Diablo 3, not entirely to success but it's its own game that gets away from the D2 worship that most ARPGs are obsessed with to their discredit. WoW is WoW.

But Reforged is something else, it's Blizzard screwing up a remaster, a concept that became popular because it's relatively easy for developers to do in order to turn a buck. There's been no real effort to salvage it. Meanwhile the news coming out of Blizzard has gotten worse and worse and more frequent, like a backstage fire has hit critical mass.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

McSlaughter posted:

I think it says something that Warcraft 3: Reforged is so bad that there isn't even an actual thread for it, and instead all the radioactive waste flows downstream to what was once a pristine ecosystem reserved for the preservation of a blockbuster relic's derelict yet diverse and unique microcosm, now totally ruined beyond repair in the aftermath of this irradiated nuclear crater that remains.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I feel bad for criticizing the rank and file developers for having produced it given what's been coming out in the last few days it's a miracle they managed to produce anything at all. It's hard to imagine but EA is looking the better company by a country mile at this point.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I think the most damning thing, in a way, is that the game has still never gone on sale in an online economy that lives on sales; they literally don't want anyone to buy it. I'd struggle to think of another product of any kind in a similar position.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Milo and POTUS posted:

I feel bad for criticizing the rank and file developers for having produced it given what's been coming out in the last few days it's a miracle they managed to produce anything at all. It's hard to imagine but EA is looking the better company by a country mile at this point.

The C&C remaster was certainly a lot better than Reforged.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

George H.W. oval office posted:

WC3R is just such a shame. It's even more of a shame considering all the love that Diablo 2 is getting. After the preview a few months ago the devs actually took fan response to heart and changed some look and feel to make it updated but still have the feeling of the original. I'm not sure why this dev gets so much leeway to making a good game and Warcraft didnt.

The answer is WoW

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
There's a new LP of Warcraft III challenge runs over on the LP forum:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976650

The LPer is extremely good at RTS games, so I'm reasonably sure this will be quite enjoyable. It's also pointedly not done in Reforged.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Diablo 3 is the worst video game sequel I've ever played but you're right they likely mean financially.

Diablo 3 is an average game made worst by the fact that Diablo 2 is a classic.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

d3 adventure mode is a pretty good video game. It's up there with d2 for me these days. The gameplay of certain builds exceeds d2, poe, etc. The games have very different strengths and weaknesses so it's not too surprising when someone likes one and not the other. D3 is the 7/10 game that 10/10s a few things and bricks on a few others. D2 is a 9/10 that 9/10s almost across the board except when viewed from the future where it has dated QoL, netcode, and design choices.

It also doesn't help that campaign/story and launch d3 are in the running for worst gaming experience I've ever had. Which likely made a lot of people hate the game and never try it after they fixed it.

I am a sucker for 6/10 or 7/10 games that 10/10 & outperform other games in a few specific areas. I can overlook many flaws if you deliver 110% on what you spend most of the time doing in-game.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 17, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

Diablo 3 is an average game made worst by the fact that Diablo 2 is a classic.

Right it's the worst sequel for me because of the gulf between it and 2. It's like how Fallout 4 probably isn't a terrible game on its own but is dogshit compared to New Vegas.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 17, 2021

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Hi I'd like to share my favorite W3R story

Shortly after the media and community eviscerated the game on launch, one of the big bosses looked around the room and said "OK, tell me straight. If any of you had bought the game, would you consider it a failure? Raise your hand if you would consider the game a failure."

After 5 seconds of total silence I raised my hand and said "there's no ladder and no matchmaking and I had those things 3 weeks ago, I'd be pissed." After 10 more seconds of people staring straight ahead with wide eyes I realized I was probably the only person in the room that didn't report up to that specific dude.

There were tons of good people who worked on that game and it really, really sucks that they don't get to look back with pride on what they managed to pull together.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 19, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Honestly at this point my impression is that they should be proud that there was a vaguely functional product pushed out around the right date with all the fuckery in management

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, it's a gross oversimplification, but my general takeaway from the whole disaster is that Blizzard wanted to do something cool with Warcraft 3, Activision didn't let them. Blizzard still tried, and the result was a horrible abomination.

I enjoyed the new graphics, and appreciated what changes WERE there, but holy poo poo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If it had ever gone on sale, I'd probably have bought it and checked out the campaign out of sick curiosity, but even before I learned about exactly how bad blizzard is, $30 for that POS wasn't gonna happen. Now it's too late entirely

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly the campaign holds up. It’s a slightly lesser experience but still excellent. It was gifted to me by someone who knew nothing of Blizzard’s problems too, so I didn’t have to fret about the ethics or whatever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Gonna sell my computer tower for actually having TFT+ROC campagins function as intended

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

I enjoyed the new graphics

Jesus really?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gonna sell my computer tower for actually having TFT+ROC campagins function as intended

This is the new version of selling an iPhone that still has Fortnite installed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I woulda said Flappy Bird.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I purchased the Reforged edition strictly to replay the campaigns and so far they seem pretty good. I like that there’s Ultrawide support out of the box and I think the graphics look good. I missed this game and still prefer it to Starcraft 2. It’s slower and with less units it’s a little more “micro friendly” than SC2.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLD881kS5TQ

If we could use the w3champions zoom in campaign mode I would be so happy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

~Coxy posted:

This is the new version of selling an iPhone that still has Fortnite installed.

Yup

Groovelord Neato posted:

I woulda said Flappy Bird.

And the literal example of what I was thinking of lol

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
There's a Sheep Tag 2 kickstarter out now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunawolfstudios/sheep-tag-2

The graphics look garbage, but talking to the devs on reddit they seem to have a good head on their shoulders for the problems Sheep Tag had in War3.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I wish them luck. Although I'll never get people calling custom maps mods.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Basic question: Is it possible, in any way, to play Actual Warcraft 3 Custom Maps after WC3R blew up the goddamn game?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Most of then still run, but the colors on some of the new models don't work so well on some maps.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I thought Refunded broke a lot of the scripting and stuff and that many classic 'mod' maps now no longer work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Eh every other patch for awhile had been breaking maps depending on esoteric coding factors, im not sure how much reforged hosed up particularly. There are still customs around and being made, ymmv on the quality or if your specific nostalgia map still works or holds up