Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bad Seafood posted:

Personally though, I hope Nier himself is only ever alluded to and never directly mentioned. That would fit into every possible ending without bringing up explicitly whether it was Brother Nier or Father Nier.

I hope to be blessed by the unique stylings of Gaming Sith Lord Yoko Taro once again in this new game in the Drakenier series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
"Members of the media told me the original Nier is like a puppy someone threw out." - Yoko Taro

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-nier-will-stay-weird-but-this-time-with-platin/1100-6428262/

Lots of words on the new game, showing they know what they are doing. They confirmed the story will be unrelated, but set in the same world.

Three playable characters, the boy seen in trailer, the white haired girl and an unknown. They are taking the old battle system and platinum-izing it a bit, but likely removing some of the genre switching?

MrAptronym fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 17, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Aww, but I wanted Kaine to be the MC.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

In addition to bringing on Platinum Games, developers revealed that the original composer for Nier, Keiichi Okabe, and FInal Fantasy XII and Bravely Default designer Akihiko Yoshida, are both working on the new Nier project.
awesome

quote:

"Please play on PlayStation 4," he said in response to a question about what Xbox players can expect.
:lol:

quote:

"Drakengard was my first game as director, and we were actually told a lot by our advisory board to do retakes and make changes and honestly, I said, screw this, I'm not making another one," Taro said.

quote:

"I thought, with Nier, I'm going to make a normal game. That's what I tried to make, a normal game, though people think it's very dark and somber. But for me, that's normal."

quote:

"But now we're working with Platinum games, and with Yoshida and Okabe, and we feel we have these great ingredients now. Is it going to be too perfect? We have all these great chefs, if you will, working together, and now, is it going to be missing that thing that made it so endearing to our fans? But after thinking about it, we think, we're just going to try it and see how it goes."
great

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yoko Taro is a man I would be both excited and scared to meet, and I would not do it near any high ledges.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Motto posted:

Yoko Taro is a man I would be both excited and scared to meet, and I would not do it near any high ledges.

He'd never pull the same cruel trick twice... wait...

Edit, crossposting from the DoD3 LP:

Policenaut posted:

Is the world of this game tied to that of the previous game?

Yoko: “The setting is connected, but that doesn’t mean the story is connected. This game is set in the future, so it’s okay if you start with this game. Rather, people who played the previous game and come into this thinking it’s a sequel might be confused.”

Will characters from the previous game appear?

Yoko: “Not everyone, but some characters will appear. But not as core characters.”

What will the game’s CERO rating be?

Yoko: “We made the previous game with the intention of a B or C rating, but got a D. We’re making this one in hopes of getting an A, but…”

Weapon-based action is at the game’s core. There might also be some familiar shooting.
There’s a rotational element (360-degree camera view?), but it’s apparently different from the previous game.
Drakengard‘s familiar “Weapon Story” system will be in the game.
Development is 10 percent complete.

Source

lol CERO A

MrAptronym fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 17, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I woke up today and this is still happening.
I didn't dream it after all. :unsmith:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

"Is it [Nier 2] going to be too perfect?"

-Yoko Taro

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Accordion Man posted:

Aww, but I wanted Kaine to be the MC.

Don't worry, the new girl is packin' enough heat for everyone.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I love that nobody expected or hoped for this in any way. Everybody thought gaming would be vacant of Taro's madness after Nier. And then Drakengard 3 happened, and we thought that's it, that's the crazy swan song.

then a year later he stumbles in on us and says he roped in some top SE guys and PlatinumGames to make another nier

I just love that independent of anything else that goes on at Square-Enix, there's this one crazy dude making crazy-rear end games purely because he has good friends in the company.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 17, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I wish more game devs had the idea of "normal" that Taro Yoko does.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Taro Yoko posted:

"But now we're working with Platinum games, and with Yoshida and Okabe, and we feel we have these great ingredients now. Is it going to be too perfect? We have all these great chefs, if you will, working together, and now, is it going to be missing that thing that made it so endearing to our fans? But after thinking about it, we think, we're just going to try it and see how it goes."

I like the whole "Lets just see how this goes" attitude from him.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Personally though, I hope Nier himself is only ever alluded to and never directly mentioned. That would fit into every possible ending without bringing up explicitly whether it was Brother Nier or Father Nier.

Nier died with my save file, and thus should never be mentioned in any way.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Three Cookies posted:

Whenever characters attempt to say Niers name they can only say "la li lu le lo"

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Whenever characters attempt to say Niers name they can only say "la li lu le lo"

LA LA LA LA LA

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Metal Gier?!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want to see Yoko Taro's version of Metal Gear's "Super Baby Method".

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Aurain posted:

I want to see Yoko Taro's version of Metal Gear's "Super Baby Method".

We got that already. It's the flower in Drakengard 3.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know what we're gonne get? More weapon stories. :unsmigghh:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

This time they'll let you read them in-game

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fairly sure you could do that in Nier.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Pretty sure Nier's weapon stories were separated from the game and left in the supplementary material.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Can we just skip to the soundtrack release? Please?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Speaking of which, Emi Evans confirmed on twitter she will be returning. God-tier vocal babble.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
A guy in the LP thread posted a screenshot of a chat on Hitbox where people were asking Yoko Taro about why he made Drakengard 3's last boss so ridiculous. Does anyone have that screenshot? It got deleted before I could save it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

A guy in the LP thread posted a screenshot of a chat on Hitbox where people were asking Yoko Taro about why he made Drakengard 3's last boss so ridiculous. Does anyone have that screenshot? It got deleted before I could save it.

I don't have the screen but I do know what he said.

He said "It's the final boss" and I imagine his Emil face did the best duh face it could.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

There you go.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Three Cookies posted:

I agree.

That's why I only want them to "Hint" at him. Nothing explicit, never by name. Just some half-remembered, vague inferences. They could just not mention him, but with other cast members returning as side characters this seems like the best option to me. Has it been so long they forgot, or was there nothing to remember in the first place? It works with either ending choice and skirts around the fact that any direct reference would likely be to Brother Nier and not Father Nier.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

InnercityGriot posted:

Speaking of which, Emi Evans confirmed on twitter she will be returning. God-tier vocal babble.

Do you have a source for that? I checked her twitter and she just says she's happy that it was announced.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Sefal posted:

There you go.

Thanks.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'll admit to accidentally dancing around spoilers once or twice but I don't know how you read this and think to yourself "Yes, this is safe to post."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bad Seafood posted:

I'll admit to accidentally dancing around spoilers once or twice but I don't know how you read this and think to yourself "Yes, this is safe to post."

uh? Is there something I'm just not seeing? I don't see anything in particular in that screencap.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

uh? Is there something I'm just not seeing? I don't see anything in particular in that screencap.

Well he refers to DoD3's final boss and then clarifies 'final song' and the people in that thread don't even know the boss is another rhythm battle. (Though a couple have guessed)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

People asking about the final boss, the "Final Song," in a Drakengard prequel/sequel with implications of difficulty and/or dev trolling.

Even if I hadn't already played the game, my mind would have immediately leapt to the original Drakengard's final boss, to which Drakengard 3's final boss is a tribute.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

taser rates posted:

Do you have a source for that? I checked her twitter and she just says she's happy that it was announced.

Unfortunately, false alarm, someone on NeoGaf said so, so I assumed as much. I would be shocked ifthey didn't invite her back, though, she was such a big part of the first game.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

InnercityGriot posted:

Unfortunately, false alarm, someone on NeoGaf said so, so I assumed as much. I would be shocked ifthey didn't invite her back, though, she was such a big part of the first game.

The final boss is Emi Evans and you have to figure out what the lyrics she's saying are

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

https://youtu.be/oKwMyu7WtWc?t=22761 (~2:58:30) (~6:19:00 - Thanks to InfinityComplex for finding the correct time.)

More Nier chat at E3. The trailer as the same as before and they can't go into too much detail, but it still might interest you. Alternatively, watch Yoko Taro struggle to adjust to daily life in the Emil head and stick a straw up his nose.

Kaislioc fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 18, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yoko Taro is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Its nice to see that the interviewer is a fan, a lot of the press reaction was "someone on staff keeps telling me to play that game." or "The mask guy". I too hope we can get an artbook/soundtrack out here. I won't miss a collector's edition like I did DoD3.

They put forward a lot more info than I expected, also I had to laugh at Yoko saying the game will have a happy ending and the prodcer saying no, he has read the script and thinks not. Also that Yoko thinks Nier has a happy ending. I am pleased weird genre stuff will be making a return, but that they are making sure to make the game its own entity. Cringed at the producer's 'we have a ton of female fans, so we don't want to make the game too hard' though.

• Locked thread