Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

drat the guys are so full of themselves when they talk about "character action" games, stating that the tight controls are the most important thing in them and then rolling out God Hand as one of the best examples of the subgenre. Sure, it is a great game, but it has submarine simulator controls.

And you can't claim that being hardcore and complex is a must when everyone's beloved Revengeance is an absolute button masher, save for dodge and parry mechanics (which are needed only on half of the bosses and those gorilla cyborgs). (Bayonetta and DMC3 whoop your scrub rear end good around their halftime, I'd give them that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

His main point was that dumb "farmvile but with weeeeed" things are lazy and may be not worth holding as examples of evil censors.

Isn't Liam usually the first one to defend ~artistic expression~ in japanese games?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I never knew you could surf on a bus or suplex hulkbusters in Ultimate Destruction :krad:
Time to dust off the PS2!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Everyone should get Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Probably my favorite thing is the stealth missions. Now you are thinking, what a stealth mission in a loving hulk game?

Well how you react knowing what Hulk does when its a stealth mission?

He hides under a truck and goes walking around MGS Box style with it.

edit: Yeah prototype borrowed a lot of things from HUD.

The Hulk game that preceded Ultimate Destruction had stealth missions where you play as Banner and try not to get angry. Awful. Also Hulk could fire gamma lasers in that one for some reason.

With the amount of Hulks that were introduced in the last 5 years in comics they could easily make an awesome sandbox where you fight someone other than army dudes. But alas, rip Radical.

Oh god, Matt and Woolie are going to play THAT Punisher game to cap off the month, right? :allears:

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 28, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Woolie repped Sacrifice out of nowhere in one of the videos so that clearly makes him the bestest super friend.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rodyle posted:

Pat=Naoto, Matt=Chie, Woolie=Kanji, Liam=Rise, Zach=Nanako, Plague=Izanami, discuss.

On what planet is Plague not Mara

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Prison Break was interesting for two seasons because it had awesome supporting cast in William Fichtner and the dudes who played Belick and T-Bag. Then they got into ANOTHER prison in Mexico, the "we love 24" subplot got overbearing and then the guys became some sort of A-team trying to break into something.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheRealestMatt posted:

It's like, "Yeah, you should watch the American version of Evangelion, poo poo's way better."

Pacific Rim is better than any of the Rebuild movies :v:

BBC Sherlock show is too much in love with itself, endless back-patting on being oh so clever and inventive while everything original was blown out in season 1 and now it is just silly character shenanigans.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Woolie continues to have Best Taste, Promethea rules

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

FatSamurai posted:

Tell me everything you learned about Vulcan Raven in MGS1 then tell me what you learned about Sundowner in his game.

Sorry you missed his big speech in the first chapter of the game so we can't go back to the good ol' days after 9/11

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dias posted:

I thought Woolie meant God Hand 2 more in the sense of IGN giving this "hard" character action game review to someone that's really bad at character action games.

This is incredibly silly.
"Character action games" elitism is very silly.
Button bashers is a good term, unlike character action games.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Is the F2P model of Killer Instinct really as good as the guys said on the podcast?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Commissar Ken posted:

This would all be sussed out if you'd just get one of those old 60s desk intercoms and shouted orders and instructions at them from the other room.

"STOP GOOFING AROUND YOU LAYABOUTS! I DONT PAY YOU TO GOLDBRICK! I NEED TO SEE HYPE PRODUCTION UP BY 14% THIS QUARTER OR YOU'RE GONNA BE PEDDLING YOUR GAME OPINIONS OUT ON THE STREETS LIKE ARTHUR GEIS!"

You could be like a more grouse Charlie and they'd be your angels.

The way Matt screams NOWNOWNOW is the best

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just getting around to listening to the podcast and of course Liam likes bitcoins

For the record, Bitcoins are literally the worst possible investment you could have made this year

jesus loving christ liam it is late 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I am torn between wishing that David Cage retires and stops sucking Sony money and that he continues to work though this console generation just to provide you guys with high-quality batshit material for LPs.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tae posted:

DMC is one of those weird critic darlings that reviewers love but didn't sell well remotely, yet dismiss DMC4 for the most part despite being like the highest selling game in the franchise. That's why I was completely surprised why Bayo 2 was getting such acclaim from the same reviewers, because it's everything that DMC wasn't.

Devil May Cry 4 has 84 on Metacritic
DMC has 85
Not much difference.

Bayonetta 2 has 91

I think it lies in the presentation - Bayonetta and Dmc are very flashy games that try to surprise with every stage, while DMC4 relies on fairly generic designs and yeah, the stage reusal is harsh.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mary Sue is rarely applicable to professional writing because even in video games it is rare that the writer inserts themselves in the story to stand on equal grounds with other characters.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Wait, is it implying that MGR2 is some kind of PS4 exclusive (timed or whatever)?!

A lot of multiplatform games are advertised at Playstation events

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

And yeah, Silent Hill 2 is why it is such an unbelievable travesty that anyone, let alone critics, takes Cage seriously as a person telling stories within the context of vidya games.

No one takes him seriously save for Sony marketing department. But I think even they prefer to give spotlight to indies rather than do the auteur routine with Cage.

Anecdotal, but back in the day, one of my friends who was a superfan of MGS 2 and Silent Hill 2 hailed Fahrenheit as something groundbreaking in the same breath.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Congrats to Pat on living in a safe neighbourhood

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jeez, hasn't Pat started playing FF XIV like a month ago? And he is already an insufferable team/guild leader?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Commissar Ken posted:

They wouldn't be able to play it due to nobody having a Logitech QR59wqperwep pc controller from 17 years ago to play it on. God that thing is a mess.

Keyboard or die motherfucker

:pcgaming: MGS2 PC keyboard and software acceleration run! :pcgaming:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

While I do agree with them that it sucks when the God Hand situation happens and negative word spreads about a game based on people not knowing how to play "properly," I think Pat was right in his kneejerk "gently caress that guy" reaction to Itagaki's statement. You can't make a game that doesn't explain its deeper functions to the player and then get pissy when everyone playing the game doesn't do any of the cool poo poo you put in and thinks it's boring. It's your fault for not designing better ways to explain or demonstrate those functions.

Maybe Devil's Third is actually doing this and Itagaki's right, I don't know a whole lot about the game, but don't just cram game mechanics in that make things way better or more fun or less frustrating and then treat them either as an optional ability or explain it with a series of text boxes before never actually needing to use it.

The game looks like hot garbage, like a C-list third person shooter from Steam greenlight or a Cryme Time title. People love the idea of hardcore games so much they rush to defend an atrocious, floaty shooter at the first word from the developer that it is for tru gamerz.

God Hand situation is impossible in this day and age because you have hordes of youtube reviewers and LPers, and GAF to elevate any worthwhile title to the cult status.

The last game that I can say popular opinion was terribly unfair of because of undersold/misunderstood mechanics was Massive Chalice, but it is the fault of the game's design itself - and you don't see Brad Muir calling people to git gud or whatever.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Silentman0 posted:

Rated TV-MA for language, and adult situations, and a handful of horny youtubers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3ssgLP9Cs&t=548s

is it that pedo flash animator

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I almost always skip or zone out when bestfriends talk about movies but Matt talking about horror movies is really dope, don't stop watching horrors, Mr McMuscles

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Laughing at the very thought of Best Friends trying to pronounce Sahelanthropus next week.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Huey is the loving worst holy poo poo

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The cutscenes in MGS 3 tend to overstay their welcome, a lot of them is just talking over blurry photos and maps. It had the right idea of making most codec conversations optional.
I think the balance is fine in MGS V until chapter 2.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I Love Annie May posted:

I might sound spiteful, but I really hope that the Japanese police would organize a roundup against Yakuza cartels so massive that the entire pachinko industry goes bankrupt, just so it drags Konami to the bottom along them. Also I wish for a nice plateau in user growth and profits for the mobile gaming market following a steady descent, as the final nail in the coffin.

Yeah, right, GOOD LUCK

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

At least when THQ imploded, several companies picked up the franchises worth a poo poo, Volition went to Deep Silver and Relic went to Sega. Konami is doing fine and it is going to sit on their licenses for eternity without any hope for even a licensed out shovelware.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OneDeadman posted:

They will play literally every anime poverty game before they play either Naruto or Blazblue

The hell is anime poverty game? Oliver Twist dating sim?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

HGH posted:

And don't give me the "You don't know how much games cost!" spiel. Personally I'm questioning how much of LiS's budget was used on licensing or making trashy indie music considering the bad models, bad acting, bad writing and asset reuse. This isn't some "$1.5 million is too much for a 2D RPG" situation (and even then the total is actually $3.5 million which makes far more sense).

Leaving aside the subjective merit evaluation, mocap and full voicework cost a lot.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mesothelioma posted:

Look, all i'm saying in an ideal world an artist shouldn't have to sacrifice his vision for any reason. Why are you guys so against that? Do you like people loving with a creative vision?

You are talking about an anime game titty

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I have seen the indian titty and the titty was denied to me, such is the dark reality of creativity in modern era

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Indecisive posted:

just do a fisticuffs where the title of the video is Naruto whatever-the-name-is but the video is some other random scrublords-tier game and never acknowledge the video title at all, not even on twitter or podcast etc

Are there any hunter x hunter games because it would double as a smug anime snob joke

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dias posted:

And why would you anime snob about Hunter x Hunter, in any direction?

So you can feel superior over narutards foiling the good name of children manga readers
"Naruto is just a HunterxHunter ripoff" has been a mainstay of bad anime topics

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

For that one, didn't they have a guest animator whose entire thing is animating things in like no time at all, but not necessarily doing it super detailed, and also doing way way more frames of animation than needed?

I would rather something absurd and fluid like that than unintentionally off-model, cheap looking still frames most shonen have

There is an awesome breakdown of the infamous episode on anipages - http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/naruto_shippuuden_167. It was Shingo Yamashita whose work feels more pleasing on other shows:

https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/16904/animated-character_acting-hair-shingo_yamashita-te
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/19580/animated-character_acting-effects-running-shingo_y
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/5866/animated-debris-effects-fighting-fullmetal_alchemi

It is just focus on fluidity of motion rather than working for freeze frames - Shinya Ohira's parts in various projects do not look great in screenshots either

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 15, 2016

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheRealestMatt posted:

Looking over this thread...

The Naruto LP was a HUGE MISTAKE

anime is for JERKS

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Goes without saying, but nobody should trust Liam on the Metal Slug defense game, it is terrible

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

"Sengoku Rance, which is loving a-mazing tactical RPG, go and play it" :smuggo: